'24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI LOI ---> ??? )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Re: '24 VA PG Ben Hammond (URI signed LOI)

Unread post by ram1980 »

I wouldn't be surprised by any decommitment or transfers out. People may think it's refreshing that Archie appears to tell it like it is in his press conferences after each embarrassing defeat, but current players and potential players may not take to kindly being thrown under the bus publicly . Soft players or not, this may not be the best way to handle the modern college athlete. Bottom line, is the current results start at the top. We'll see if he adjusts.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We get it, players sometimes transfer or decommit. Does it have to be brought up every single time someone tries to share some positive updates about a recruit? We already have every thread in the NCAAs or Bust section to show how much our fans dislike college basketball players.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago We get it, players sometimes transfer or decommit. Does it have to be brought up every single time someone tries to share some positive updates about a recruit? We already have every thread in the NCAAs or Bust section to show how much our fans dislike college basketball players.
I don't dislike college basketball players at all. I hate the system. Good for them if they can take advantage of that system. It's reality.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago There must be other schools looking at him now since signed OLIs don't mean anything anymore.
78, I think there probably are some currently. He has height/strength questions but is very skilled and quick. Plus he is playing against high prep talent very successfully.

Additionally, perhaps some higher programs are in a wait and see mode and will take a run at him after he gains some experience here.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
adam914 wrote: 2 months ago We get it, players sometimes transfer or decommit. Does it have to be brought up every single time someone tries to share some positive updates about a recruit? We already have every thread in the NCAAs or Bust section to show how much our fans dislike college basketball players.
I don't dislike college basketball players at all. I hate the system. Good for them if they can take advantage of that system. It's reality.
That's fine, and I believe you when you say that, I guess I just don't get bringing it up so often (not just you, but in general). Like I said, we all get that players may leave or de-commit. To me it feels similar to if someone made a comment saying a player played a good game and then people keep commenting "he played great but he could end up getting hurt someday and not playing anymore." We all know the potential exists for bad things to happen.

The present state of the team is already bad enough, so I'd prefer to not also focus on the worst possible outcome for every recruit situation until/unless it actually happens. Anyway, I guess I need to just get over it, because I'm clearly in the minority on this on the board so I'll try to just let it go.
4 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 2 months ago
That's fine, and I believe you when you say that, I guess I just don't get bringing it up so often (not just you, but in general). Like I said, we all get that players may leave or de-commit. To me it feels similar to if someone made a comment saying a player played a good game and then people keep commenting "he played great but he could end up getting hurt someday and not playing anymore." We all know the potential exists for bad things to happen.

The present state of the team is already bad enough, so I'd prefer to not also focus on the worst possible outcome for every recruit situation until/unless it actually happens. Anyway, I guess I need to just get over it, because I'm clearly in the minority on this on the board so I'll try to just let it go.
Preach brother preach. Agreed.
1 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

Have talked to journalists involved with the program around the state. Hammond has to stay at least one year since he signed.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Mattrams94 wrote: 2 months ago Have talked to journalists involved with the program around the state. Hammond has to stay at least one year since he signed.
Lol no he doesn't.

Kids sign a LOI, then ask for a release for whatever reason and choose a new school every single year.

Happens all the time, every year, in football and basketball.

No idea who you talked to, but they are 100% wrong.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Mattrams94 wrote: 2 months ago Have talked to journalists involved with the program around the state. Hammond has to stay at least one year since he signed.
Lol no he doesn't.

Kids sign a LOI, then ask for a release for whatever reason and choose a new school every single year.

Correct.

Example:
Brock Vice signed a LOI with SLU in Nov. 2022.
He backed out and is now a RS freshman at Creighton.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Lol no he doesn't.

Eg Our own Jared Terrell. Signed Ok.state , changed mind and came to Rhody.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Under the current system you can only deal with the current team and how they are doing. No more looking forward and projecting how this team will be with when the core are juniors and seniors. It’s live for today because tomorrow is more of an unknown now than ever before. And you have to be more afraid than ever before that your under the radar early signing doesn’t blow up too much, or you will be left at the alter looking for scraps after they de-commit. Sad times we live in as fans of a non Power conference team.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RIFan wrote: 2 months ago Under the current system you can only deal with the current team and how they are doing. No more looking forward and projecting how this team will be with when the core are juniors and seniors. It’s live for today because tomorrow is more of an unknown now than ever before. And you have to be more afraid than ever before that your under the radar early signing doesn’t blow up too much, or you will be left at the alter looking for scraps after they de-commit. Sad times we live in as fans of a non Power conference team.
Even power conference teams deal with this.

In football kids gives verbals yet still go visit other schools only to flip their commitment on signing day.
1 x
Go Rhody
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Some more fun highlights of Hammond from last weekend.

3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

adam914 wrote: 2 months ago Some more fun highlights of Hammond from last weekend.

Thanks for posting this kid looks electric with the ball in his hands and his outside shot looks good let’s hope for 40 % from 3
0 x
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Coach_NDuke »

Bottom line. We need a point guard who can move the ball around.
Last edited by Coach_NDuke 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
Coach_NDuke
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Coach_NDuke »

I would be more concerned about the current team than new recruits. Current team, each player, was brought in, had expectations, maybe promises from coaches or the NIL collective, or opportunity. Do doubt, some maybe disappointed. Disappointment can be overcome with trust. Some HCs build relationships, trust, respect, with players, the locker room and that helps players fight for something together. On the other hand, given that last years team was pushed out, its probably weighing on the players minds. If there isnt trust every player will need to watch out for themselves and their future.

Many point guards will control the ball and get it to open players. That is often missing with us. It is amazing how many times the ball is pushed left when a shooter is standing wide open on the right, or vice versa. Some of our players do not seem to feel the need to pass to the open shooter and would rather force their own shot against two defenders. The ISO play has a purpose at times, but this happens during the middle of the game when I high percentage shooter is open. It is allowed which seems weird, most coaches would say why didnt you hit the left or right 2 guard or 3. Sometimes playing ISO ball and getting your points is fine if that is your role, but it is not team ball. Players might not play team ball to increase their own status 1) secure their continued spot--get their points, 2) they are putting in the work to move to the next level or text team, 3) or because of a lack of trust. I know, this probably belongs in a different thread.
0 x

Cheers
Coach N Duke
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So excited for Ben!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ben made 1st team ahead of 2 of his 4 star teammates, one who is going to UConn and one who is going to Notre Dame. Harris, who also made 1st team is going to Duke.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I"'m still worried about his 3-point shot, but other than that, he's a stud on both sides. A leader, A pest on D. Someone this fanbase will love immediately.. I still think we need one more veteran guard. Someone better than Luis and Ways. I've said it a few times but I'd love TJ type of recruit. A defensive-minded PG who does the little things that's ok with Hammond having a big role.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I"'m still worried about his 3-point shot, but other than that, he's a stud on both sides. A leader, A pest on D. Someone this fanbase will love immediately.. I still think we need one more veteran guard. Someone better than Luis and Ways. I've said it a few times but I'd love TJ type of recruit. A defensive-minded PG who does the little things that's ok with Hammond having a big role.
Can he dunk it?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago I"'m still worried about his 3-point shot, but other than that, he's a stud on both sides. A leader, A pest on D. Someone this fanbase will love immediately.. I still think we need one more veteran guard. Someone better than Luis and Ways. I've said it a few times but I'd love TJ type of recruit. A defensive-minded PG who does the little things that's ok with Hammond having a big role.
I have no idea what percentage he shoots from 3, but his shot looks fine on tape. Nothing wrong with his form or release. It's not like watching Always, who just kind of flings it at the basket. But even if his defender doesn't respect his outside shot, I still think he can get anywhere he wants on the floor with his quickness.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Can he dunk it?
There is a video of him dunking once this year. It doesn't happen often. He's listed at 5'10", even at 5'11" on some sites. I think he MIGHT be 5'9" in sneakers and a thick pair of socks. But I don't care. He's a leader and a baller.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Since we suck I haven’t been interested in watching recruits but I recorded a couple clips from this game.

A few of the little things that Hammond does in this video is what we seriously lack this year.

There are two instances where they go on a fast break. The first time, he makes the right decision and fills the lane right down the middle. Noticing that the defense is fading off of him, he hits a runner.

In the second fast break, he has a step on his defender and can likely finish a layup. Instead, he pretends he’s going to lay it in, slows down, and throws an absolutely ridiculous bounce pass for the and1. How many times do we have a fast break, and we have no idea what to do, and we throw up a horrible contested shot or turn it over? These are things they taught us in middle school basketball, but our team still makes the same mistakes.

In another clip, you’ll see him pick someone’s pocket, be the only player that dives for the ball, and it leads to a jumper at the buzzer.

At the end of the video, he realizes there are 5 seconds left in the shot clock. Instead of dribbling and throwing up a contested step back NBA 3 that usually ends up as an air ball, Hammond weaves his way between defenders and finishes a beautiful layup.

Rhody fans are going to love him.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

Since we suck I haven’t been interested in watching recruits but I recorded a couple clips from this game.

A few of the little things that Hammond does in this video is what we seriously lack this year.

There are two instances where they go on a fast break. The first time, he makes the right decision and fills the lane right down the middle. Noticing that the defense is fading off of him, he hits a runner.

In the second fast break, he has a step on his defender and can likely finish a layup. Instead, he pretends he’s going to lay it in, slows down, and throws an absolutely ridiculous bounce pass for the and1. How many times do we have a fast break, and we have no idea what to do, and we throw up a horrible contested shot or turn it over? These are things they taught us in middle school basketball, but our team still makes the same mistakes.

In another clip, you’ll see him pick someone’s pocket, be the only player that dives for the ball, and it leads to a jumper at the buzzer.

At the end of the video, he realizes there are 5 seconds left in the shot clock. Instead of dribbling and throwing up a contested step back NBA 3 that usually ends up as an air ball, Hammond weaves his way between defenders and finishes a beautiful layup.

Great video , seems like he’s the kind of player who makes his teammates better too which we sorely need
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 2 months ago

Good stuff Stevey! I'm so pumped for this kid to get here!
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

For those that may not have seen it, Hammond just won his second WCAC Championship (also won his sophomore year). Nice little interview with him along with some other tweets after the game.

1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Stevey and Adam, thank you for posting the stuff on Hammond. Much appreciated.

Hopeful future stuff in a down year for us.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Congrats to Ben!!

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Pay da man!
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

We need his winning attitude.

Thanks for posting that, Stevey.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Was Ben sighted at any of our games this year? The ones in DC (GMU or GW)?
0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

I believe he was at the men’s scrimmage before the season at the Ryan Center.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

LIST OF RANKED/COMMITTED SENIORS IN #ChipotleNationals:

Cooper Flagg - Duke
VJ Edgecombe - Baylor
Tre Johnson - Texas
Derrion Reid - Alabama
Derik Queen - Maryland
Liam McNeeley - #11 in ESPN100
Asa Newell - Georgia
Pat Ngongba - Duke
Donnie Freeman - Syracuse
Aiden Sherrell - Alabama
Jase Richardson - Michigan State
Rob Wright III - Baylor
Zoom Diallo - Washington
Labaron Philon - Kansas
Khani Rooths - Michigan
Darren Harris - Duke
VJ Miller - Oregon
Jalen Shelley - Arkansas
Curtis Givens - LSU
James Brown - North Carolina
Isaiah Abraham - UConn
Cole Certa - Notre Dame
Sammie Yeanay - Arizona State
Mikey Lewis - Saint Mary’s
Chase McCarty - Houston
Garrett Sundra - Notre Dame
TO Barrett - Missouri
Godswill Erheriene - Seton Hall
Malik Abdullahi - Princeton
Ben Hammond - Rhode Island
Ethan Lathan - Old Dominion
Zion Wilburn - Samford
Olivier Rioux - Florida
Luke Bamgboye - Undecided
Jayce Nathaniel - Undecided
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ben and Paul VI will be on ESPNU on Thursday at 2:00 vs. IMG. IMG has Oliver Rioux, who stands at 7'7" and is a Florida commit. Should be a fun game to watch.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Ben and Paul VI will be on ESPNU on Thursday at 2:00 vs. IMG. IMG has Oliver Rioux, who stands at 7'7" and is a Florida commit. Should be a fun game to watch.
Hmm...I thought FSU got all the uber-talls...
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 weeks ago Ben and Paul VI will be on ESPNU on Thursday at 2:00 vs. IMG. IMG has Oliver Rioux, who stands at 7'7" and is a Florida commit. Should be a fun game to watch.
Hmm...I thought FSU got all the uber-talls...
I want to see when Ben goes to the hoop. This guy is almost 2 feet taller than he is.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Take some floaters Ben and get some goaltends !
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Am I the only one checking in on Hammond? This kid is the real fucking deal.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Am I the only one checking in on Hammond? This kid is the real fucking deal.
Yeah I am to. He's so damn good. Prototypical point guard, does a little bit of everything and constant energy out there.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I got to watch some. I really like his game. He’s not only good but also just fun to watch.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Blue Man wrote: 3 weeks ago Am I the only one checking in on Hammond? This kid is the real fucking deal.
Yeah he does not only run the offense at a fast pace efficiently and is a great play maker for his teammates. It seems like he really has improved his 3 point shot.

His defense is very good too. He had an awesome steal in the open court which led to a wide open layup for him. He also had a beautiful weakside help defensive play coming from the opposite 3 point line where he blocked/ stripped the big going up for a layup and turned it into a fast break.

Also the story of Coach Cal being in the gym at PaulVI recruiting and noticing Ben and calling Archie about Ben hammond is pretty cool. I really hope we hang on to this kid for next year.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago
Yeah he does not only run the offense at a fast pace efficiently and is a great play maker for his teammates. It seems like he really has improved his 3 point shot.

His defense is very good too. He had an awesome steal in the open court which led to a wide open layup for him. He also had a beautiful weakside help defensive play coming from the opposite 3 point line where he blocked/ stripped the big going up for a layup and turned it into a fast break.

Also the story of Coach Cal being in the gym at PaulVI recruiting and noticing Ben and calling Archie about Ben hammond is pretty cool. I really hope we hang on to this kid for next year.
Can you elaborate more on that coach Cal story? Sounds interesting and I can't watch
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sevegny7 wrote: 3 weeks ago

And I’m sure Cal isn’t keeping Hammond’s contact info in case he blows up his freshman year…
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

"Archie Miller connected with Ben Hammond right away, they are the same player, short, smart, hard nosed, tough guard at NC State. Ben Hammond is the exact same way"

Lot of talk about him and about the Archie connection.

He's short - no matter how he does, those P5 schools aren't taking fliers on Hammond. Plus here, he's a priority. And I am sure he is going to get an NIL bag commiserate with what he would get offered at any other school at our level like George Mason.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

20 points and 13 assists. Yeah that'll work!
Last edited by adam914 3 weeks ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I only was able to watch from the under 4 time out to almost halftime so I didn’t see much !

I did notice Ben was guarding bigger guys down low anyone see that and were they able to take advantage of his lack of size ?
0 x