'23 F David Fuchs (URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '23 F David Fuchs (URI verbal)

Unread post by RamStock »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago

He does have good size and looks to have decent strength but he probably needs to develop his skills and basketball IQ.
Remember most of his time and his impactful minutes came in the German Developmental League.
It is hard to tell how his game will transition against a much higher level of competition.
Lol he's literally on a professional German basketball team right now. With guys in their 30's and shit.

Hardly gotten any minutes, but he will be way more well rounded than your average American freshman.

I mean European players are becoming more and more prominent in the NBA and in college because the AAU system is trash.
I understand the influence of European players and glad that we are scouting players overseas.
But in Fuch's situation, I am trying to be realistic.

PRT I hope he can contribute early and make an immediate impact as much as you.
And yes, most freshmen come in pretty raw, including the foreign ones.
Others that are more highly recruited may play on top prep and AAU teams, facing the toughest competition in the nation and are obviously more prepared.

Just curious, how many Div.1 schools offered him and who was our competition?
Many programs including schools in our conference scout international players.
The answer is nobody in terms of competition or who is recruiting him. This is just having one spot to fill and taking a Hail Mary because there aren’t better options. The odds are high that he won’t be here more than 1-2 years.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RamStock wrote: 11 months ago

Lol he's literally on a professional German basketball team right now. With guys in their 30's and shit.

Hardly gotten any minutes, but he will be way more well rounded than your average American freshman.

I mean European players are becoming more and more prominent in the NBA and in college because the AAU system is trash.
I understand the influence of European players and glad that we are scouting players overseas.

Others that are more highly recruited may play on top prep and AAU teams, facing the toughest competition in the nation and are obviously more prepared.

The answer is nobody in terms of competition or who is recruiting him. This is just having one spot to fill and taking a Hail Mary because there aren’t better options. The odds are high that he won’t be here more than 1-2 years.
I am hoping he is more than just a Hail Mary.

No doubt, we were in need of a 4, but I really was wishing for someone with solid Div.1 experience that can contribute immediately.

If he turns out to be a good player and we get some mileage out of him, then all the better.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He does have good size and looks to have decent strength but he probably needs to develop his skills and basketball IQ.
Remember most of his time and his impactful minutes came in the German Developmental League.
It is hard to tell how his game will transition against a much higher level of competition.

I'm not expecting much, but the low basketball IQ talk is not consistent with European basketball players who are developed in a far more team centric culture.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I'm not expecting much, but the low basketball IQ talk is not consistent with European basketball players who are developed in a far more team centric culture.
Some are and some aren't, especially on the defensive end.
But at least you aren't expecting much especially early.

We needed some depth at the 4, so yeah I am hoping he turns out to be more than just a body on the bench.
If he is a player and contributes, I give Austin lots of credit for finding him.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

🤣🤣🤣

Well it looks like you don't know what you're talking about 🥰

Here's a list of 100 players from the league he just played in that have played and otherwise could play college basketball at a very high level.

https://basketball.realgm.com/internati ... -BBL/stats

Former P5 players, A-10 players, long time European professional basketball all play in this league and he just averaged 9.4 minutes a game as a 19 year old.

But yeah he sure didn't play against anyyyybody

I guess every single one of those former D1 athletes is somehow worse now as a professional than they were when they were in college? No way grown men can get better at their profession? The A-10 is so much stronger than these European basketball leagues 🤪
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

🤣🤣🤣

Here's a list of 100 players from the league he just played in that have played and otherwise could play college basketball at a very high level.

Former P5 players, A-10 players, long time European professional basketball all play in this league and he just averaged 9.4 minutes a game as a 19 year old.

I guess every single one of those former D1 athletes is somehow worse now as a professional than they were when they were in college? No way grown men can get better at their profession? The A-10 is so much stronger than these European basketball leagues 🤪
The problem is you say that about every single player that URI signs. Every player Archie brought in last year got high praise, yet it was a disaster. You have never seen him play and are just digging for a reason that he should be good. This is another player that none of us have seen except a video that makes all players look good. I hope he surprises and is good, but I would prefer to have someone that has played at the D1 level and was successful. I do like the idea of looking for European players as this has become a very successful route for teams like Gonzaga and St Mary’s, but maybe it was due to the fact on who was the lead recruiter on this I’m not expecting much. I hope he turns out to be a gem.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PRT like I said, we all want Fuch's to come in and be able to contribute.
He does help fill a need at the 4, which I am glad about.
How much of an immediate impact he makes, no one knows yet.

Many here are a little skeptical, because of how things turned out last season.

Also little is known about Fuchs and he didn't seem to be on many team's radar, which is a little concerning.
But I trust the staff did their homework on him, so we will see.

Anyway, our roster for 23-24 is now complete so looking forward to watching this team develop.

"Rhode Island Basketball: Impact of Rams landing German league forward David Fuchs"
https://bustingbrackets.com/2023/05/27/ ... vid-fuchs/
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

🤣🤣🤣

The problem is you say that about every single player that URI signs. Every player Archie brought in last year got high praise, yet it was a disaster. You have never seen him play and are just digging for a reason that he should be good. This is another player that none of us have seen except a video that makes all players look good. I hope he surprises and is good, but I would prefer to have someone that has played at the D1 level and was successful. I do like the idea of looking for European players as this has become a very successful route for teams like Gonzaga and St Mary’s, but maybe it was due to the fact on who was the lead recruiter on this I’m not expecting much. I hope he turns out to be a gem.
I was just addressing your claim that he hasn't played against anybody. I'm not predicting anything about him.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 11 months ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/p ... bundesliga

David Fuchs

18.8 years old | 6’8” Forward | Ratiopharm Ulm

A toolsy 6'8" forward out of Austria, Fuchs has an impressive ability to put the ball on the floor to attack closeouts and punish mismatches when he's defended by smaller perimeter players. Defensively he is able to use his size and length to bother opposing ball-handlers and contain penetration in the perimeter. Fuchs lacks high-level experience and hasn't been efficient as a shooter as of this point, but the combination of tools, defensive potential and ball-handling ability is definitely intriguing.
Can you say NBA draft potential?? Yea please
Wow Reef, not like getting too carried away. :D

Red shirt and NBA draft potential on the same page. That's great range.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I can hear the commentary now..."Always Wright to Fuch from deep, it's good!" :lol:
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

He doesn't look that raw to me. Got a good frame, he's already a strong dude.

And hey he's already been playing in front of crowds better than he will see in the Ryan Center 🤪
You know what I didn't see in that video? He didn't dribble the ball, while under the basket. He went right back up with the ball. I like his quickness and lack of hesitation. He was attacking and not shying away from contact.
Last edited by The Dude 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

The Dude wrote: 11 months ago

And hey he's already been playing in front of crowds better than he will see in the Ryan Center 🤪
You know what I didn't see in that video? He didn't dribble the ball, while under the basket. He went right back up with the ball. I like his quickness and lack of hesitation. He was attacking it not shying away from contact.
He looks like a solid A-10 big to me. Go get you some rebounds and has enough ability around the basket to make stuff happen. Still hard to project him, but I like the competition he's been playing with.

Just hard to tell what we are gonna do in the frontcourt. Especially with Bilau being out for potentially half the year.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The Dude wrote: 11 months ago

You know what I didn't see in that video? He didn't dribble the ball, while under the basket. He went right back up with the ball. I like his quickness and lack of hesitation. He was attacking it not shying away from contact.
He looks like a solid A-10 big to me. Go get you some rebounds and has enough ability around the basket to make stuff happen. Still hard to project him, but I like the competition he's been playing with.

Just hard to tell what we are gonna do in the frontcourt. Especially with Bilau being out for potentially half the year.
Yes PRT a little bit of a mystery at this point.
But I am hoping they all develop into solid contributors.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Sounds like Archie is expecting big things.

2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Based on Archie's comments, Fuchs will be a part of the rotation and then some...
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Doesn't sound like a redshirt candidate.
Last edited by ramster 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

"Bigger impact than any other freshman front court player in the country"!?!?!?!? Talk about high expectations...I sure hope he's right.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

backup power forward to start the season, starting power forward to end the season?
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Just because he was the last to sign doesn’t mean he’s the last to play. Not that I know anything about Archie’s plans.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Consistent with what I heard. Staff is very very high on him and think they found a steal.
We shall see.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago "Bigger impact than any other freshman front court player in the country"!?!?!?!? Talk about high expectations...I sure hope he's right.
Yea, I don’t care that the head coach said it, that’s extreme hyperbole and a pretty outlandish thing to say.

I wouldn’t even expect someone here to say that.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah wow with those comments by Arch , hopefully we are on to something
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
adam914 wrote: 11 months ago "Bigger impact than any other freshman front court player in the country"!?!?!?!? Talk about high expectations...I sure hope he's right.
Yea, I don’t care that the head coach said it, that’s extreme hyperbole and a pretty outlandish thing to say.

Did he say that about Tyson Brown, Josaphat Bilau or Rory Stewart?
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago

Did he say that about Tyson Brown, Josaphat Bilau or Rory Stewart?
The quote begin with the words “he has a chance.”
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Digging into the German League that Fuchs played for, and it's kind of fascinating. Like soccer, they have a relegation system, with the bottom two teams of the 18-team division dropping down each year. Fuchs' team (Ratiopharm Ulm) finished 7th, and upset the 2nd ranked team in the playoffs that went 31-3 in the regular season. Their season is still going, and they have a 2-0 lead in the semifinals. (The #1 seed went 32-2.) At his position, Fuchs had fringe NBA player Bruno Calabro and a stout Josh Hawley ahead of him on the depth chart. It looks like he was in the rotation for a shift or two each night early in the year, but fell out as the rotation tightened - not surprising for a young player.

I think I'm more bullish on him than several of our other forward options as a result. Like, it wouldn't surprise me if he's getting more minutes than Stewart and Foumena, and battles with Brown for a starting spot. It's not an Aris Tsourgiannis situation, who was averaging 3.3 MPG in a developmental league before coming to URI. Fuchs was in a development league and earned a promotion. I think he's going to be a solid contributor at least.
4 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 11 months ago Digging into the German League that Fuchs played for, and it's kind of fascinating. Like soccer, they have a relegation system, with the bottom two teams of the 18-team division dropping down each year. Fuchs' team (Ratiopharm Ulm) finished 7th, and upset the 2nd ranked team in the playoffs that went 31-3 in the regular season. Their season is still going, and they have a 2-0 lead in the semifinals. (The #1 seed went 32-2.) At his position, Fuchs had fringe NBA player Bruno Calabro and a stout Josh Hawley ahead of him on the depth chart. It looks like he was in the rotation for a shift or two each night early in the year, but fell out as the rotation tightened - not surprising for a young player.

I think I'm more bullish on him than several of our other forward options as a result. Like, it wouldn't surprise me if he's getting more minutes than Stewart and Foumena, and battles with Brown for a starting spot. It's not an Aris Tsourgiannis situation, who was averaging 3.3 MPG in a developmental league before coming to URI. Fuchs was in a development league and earned a promotion. I think he's going to be a solid contributor at least.
Rory adds a different dimension with his ability to hit the 3's.
At times I can see him playing alongside Foumena, Brown, and Fuchs.
Archie will have some flexibility with his bigs and he can also go smaller at times.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago With Fuchs practicing against players like Sagaba Konate and Bruno Cabocolo every day I think his upside could be very high
The Celtics signed Bruno last August 26th and waived him September 20th so he’s probably very good and Fuchs playing Vs him in practice must have helped him hopefully??
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Of course there is some hyperbole there, but it's still noteworthy that the coach would say something like that, even if it needs to be taken with a grain of salt. Especially since I wasn't even sure this guy would be a rotation piece his first year based on some of the competition I saw in those highlight videos.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Consistent with what I heard. Staff is very very high on him and think they found a steal.
We shall see.
He don't Fuch around
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Archie better not be Fuching around. Always international guys who go under the radar, hopefully we picked up the Wright one.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago
ramster wrote: 11 months ago

Parfait Bitee - Cameroon
Lazare Adigono - Cameroon
David Arigbabu - Germany
Gilson DeJesus - Brazil
Michael Andersen - Denmark
I'd throw Joe Mbang in there

And Ifeanyi Onyekaba's performance against Maine 😂
There was a guy in the 70s from Argentina I think. Can’t remember his name.

Edit: Just remembered it was Gilson DeJesus.
Gilson DeJesus lived for a time in Argentina but he was from São Paulo Brazil. He played for the Brazil National Team for 15 years.
His son was born in South Kingstown RI. His son, Gilson DeJesus, also grew to be 6'6" just like his dad and he played 2 years for Kansas State. Career 42% 3P at KSU.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ben Eaves !!
Levan Shengalia
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Obadiah wrote: 11 months ago Archie is placing more emphasis on recruiting foreign national because the odds of uncovering a "diamond in the rough" or a player overlooked by the power conferences is higher than the home market. URI has not had huge success with foreign players - Nikola comes mind - any others?
Parfait Bitee - Cameroon
David Arigbabu - Germany
Gilson DeJesus - Brazil
Studs. Every last one. 🤓
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Let’s not forget the impact that Aris had on our record book!
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

McRam wrote: 10 months ago Let’s not forget the impact that Aris had on our record book!
Greek god of fouls
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Ramfan22 wrote: 10 months ago
McRam wrote: 10 months ago Let’s not forget the impact that Aris had on our record book!
Greek god of fouls
And as this guy continues to be brought up rarely does anyone ever bring up the HC and the Assistant Coach who recruited him. They are the root cause of this unfortunate situation - not the player. This player never should have been added to the roster.
Both Coaches eventually got the door.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Congrats to David and his team winning the German 1 league Championship
3 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 11 months ago Looks like a redshirt possibility
Looks like I way off on this one as Archie says he'll play major minutes.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

PeteRI wrote: 10 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 11 months ago Archie is placing more emphasis on recruiting foreign national because the odds of uncovering a "diamond in the rough" or a player overlooked by the power conferences is higher than the home market. URI has not had huge success with foreign players - Nikola comes mind - any others?
Parfait Bitee - Cameroon
David Arigbabu - Germany
Gilson DeJesus - Brazil
Studs. Every last one. 🤓
Arigbabu came here after O"Shea's infamous visit to Germany where he stayed in a cockroach-infested hotel room.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Congrats to David and Ulm on their title!

Ulm is in Germanys top basketball league (BBL) which Fran Fraschilla ranked as the 4th best professional league outside of the world. David also played in Ulm's Euroleague contests where the best of the best in Europe compete against each other throughout the year.

Here's some players he's played and been productive against this season.

On Oct. 1st 2022 he had 6 points in 12 minutes against a team with Freddie Gillespie (Baylor) and Cassius Winston (Michigan State)

8 points in 13 minutes against a Frankfort team with former Purdue/BYU standout Matt Haarms who stands at 7'3.

9 points in 17 minutes in a game against Yogi Ferrell (Indiana) and Goran Dragic

Put in 10 points against a top level Lithuanian team in a Euroleague matchup.

9 points in 10 minutes against Zach Auguste (Notre Dame) Derek Needham (Fairfield) and Aubrey Dawkins (UCF)

Other notables
Kyle Guy
Amida Brimah
DJ Kennedy
Khalif Young

NICOLA AKELE 🤣

Not to mention several other really good college basketball players and all the other international professionals he played with and competed against.

I think this dude is gonna be legit
3 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

“ e 4th best professional league outside of the world.”

How many pro leagues are on Mars, Venus, etc.?😜
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 10 months ago Congrats to David and Ulm on their title!

Ulm is in Germanys top basketball league (BBL) which Fran Fraschilla ranked as the 4th best professional league outside of the world. David also played in Ulm's Euroleague contests where the best of the best in Europe compete against each other throughout the year.

Here's some players he's played and been productive against this season.

On Oct. 1st 2022 he had 6 points in 12 minutes against a team with Freddie Gillespie (Baylor) and Cassius Winston (Michigan State)

8 points in 13 minutes against a Frankfort team with former Purdue/BYU standout Matt Haarms who stands at 7'3.

9 points in 17 minutes in a game against Yogi Ferrell (Indiana) and Goran Dragic

Put in 10 points against a top level Lithuanian team in a Euroleague matchup.

9 points in 10 minutes against Zach Auguste (Notre Dame) Derek Needham (Fairfield) and Aubrey Dawkins (UCF)

Other notables
Kyle Guy
Amida Brimah
DJ Kennedy
Khalif Young

NICOLA AKELE 🤣

Not to mention several other really good college basketball players and all the other international professionals he played with and competed against.

I think this dude is gonna be legit
Yeah no doubt and he practiced against teammates that are borderline NBA like Bruno C so I can see why Arch thinks he’s ready
1 x
Ramfan22
ARD

On campus practicing with the team. Rhody MBB posted a picture of him too.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody74 wrote: 10 months ago “ e 4th best professional league outside of the world.”

NBA*****/within the known milky way galaxy****
0 x
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

Scheduled to be at coaches event on Thursday.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: '23 F David Fuchs (URI)

Unread post by Dino611 »

Can we also sticky this thread
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Rhody74 wrote: 10 months ago “ e 4th best professional league outside of the world.”

Anthony Harris is playing in the MBA (Martian Basketball Association) per source
1 x
Mongo
ARD

Unread post by Mongo »

Watching his tapes, he has skills that are so different than any big man on the roster. His fade away jumper is beautiful and his 3pt shot is very solid. He can finish at the rim better than anyone we had last season and his defense looks solid. I think Fuchs is going to be a special player.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mongo wrote: 10 months ago Watching his tapes, he has skills that are so different than any big man on the roster. His fade away jumper is beautiful and his 3pt shot is very solid. He can finish at the rim better than anyone we had last season and his defense looks solid. I think Fuchs is going to be a special player.
This is the guy I am most excited about for this season
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 10 months ago
Mongo wrote: 10 months ago Watching his tapes, he has skills that are so different than any big man on the roster. His fade away jumper is beautiful and his 3pt shot is very solid. He can finish at the rim better than anyone we had last season and his defense looks solid. I think Fuchs is going to be a special player.
This is the guy I am most excited about for this season
I am going to reserve judgement until I see him on the court performing against our competition.

I remember all too well about all the hype surrounding JH regarding his size, physical ability, and offensive skills.
Many here thought he was going to come in and immediately dominate.
Same can be said about Alex but to a much lesser extent, both had been consensus 4* recruits.

I am pumping the brakes a little on him for now, but yeah I hope Archie is right and he is an immediate impact player.
0 x