Saturday instead of Sunday Graduation

Off-Topic News, Music, TV, Movies, Tech, etc.
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Saturday instead of Sunday Graduation

Unread post by OBRAM »

Whose idea was this? It was always a Sunday.
It could have rained Sunday instead of Saturday, but it didn't.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: Saturday instead of Sunday Graduation

Unread post by theblueram »

OBRAM wrote: 11 months ago Whose idea was this? It was always a Sunday.
When I graduated, it was on a Sunday. Post Grad was always Saturday. And after the main ceremony at the quad, we all went to our colleges, at the quad, and they had stages set for each school. Then we walked and our professors gave us our degrees. Why is this a two day event now?
0 x
OBRAM
Art Stephenson

Unread post by OBRAM »

After the Quad graduation ceremony, I went to my specific college and had to wait in another queue where I think a Junior pulled my diploma out of a box. No professors were there to shake my hand.
Later while out at Shady Inn restaurant (near where the Rotary is in Narragansett now) a professor came over to my table and congratulated me.
That meant a lot to me.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

When I graduated....on the way there, massive uphill walk, it snowed like a sum-b....cold, windy...brutal. During the ceremony, it turned to rain...poured like a you know what for about two hours. By the time they finished up, it was 95 degrees and we were all sweating our you know what's off. After that....massive uphill walk again...it was tough, very tough back then. But...we liked it!
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

theblueram wrote: 11 months ago
When I graduated, it was on a Sunday. Post Grad was always Saturday. And after the main ceremony at the quad, we all went to our colleges, at the quad, and they had stages set for each school. Then we walked and our professors gave us our degrees. Why is this a two day event now?
Now it's a three day event and it will take place in the Ryan Center, rain or shine.

https://www.uri.edu/news/2024/01/dates- ... eremonies/

I absolutely despise the change to having everything inside and feel bad for future graduates. Having the ceremony inside instead of on the Quad greatly diminishes what makes the ceremony so special in the first place
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago
Now it's a three day event and it will take place in the Ryan Center, rain or shine.

I absolutely despise the change to having everything inside and feel bad for future graduates. Having the ceremony inside instead of on the Quad greatly diminishes what makes the ceremony so special in the first place
Last year's monsoon has put an end to outdoor graduation. Someone will resurrect it outdoors in a few years, but guessing it's inside for a while.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

As someone who worked/practiced for and with the men’s/women’s team for 4 years and attended 100s of game there, I preferred the Ryan Center for graduation but obviously to each is own.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

As someone who worked/practiced for and with the men’s/women’s team for 4 years and attended 100s of game there, I preferred the Ryan Center for graduation but obviously to each is own.
My daughter graduated at Meade during covid. Bad circumstance but pretty cool to see.
0 x