2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by reef »

Yeah , Big Fou definitely deserves to start over Tyson
1 x
Spook5365
Marc Upshaw

Unread post by Spook5365 »

SGreenwell wrote: 4 months ago
rhodylaw wrote: 4 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago

Unfortunately there are 2 ends to the floor. Archie would have to change his defense. Then again, there aren't many on the team playing it well now, so it probably wouldn't hurt to play them.
I guess that’s the point - defense kind of sucks, may as well go for some offense
In his meager playing time with practically no defensive attention on him, Dubsky is shooting 30 percent. His per-40 stats, he's averaging 5.3 fouls and 9.5 attempts from 3. There isn't much to suggest that he's a good option on offense, except that he enjoys shooting. Occasionally, guys like this will manage to hit a couple shots in a single game, which then leads to a clamor that they absolutely need to play more.

As of now, Dubsky looks like the latest manifestation of the Matthew Butler or Rory Stewart or Greg Hammond Syndrome, wherein a guy with a reputation for shooting seems like a tantalizing option solely because he's not playing. (On the women's side this year, also see Eva DeChent.) I suspect he's not playing because the guys that are playing are obviously better during practice, and that he either needs to get a lot better to play here or to transfer down.

DeChent 3pt % is .455. Dubsky is .333. Her shooting and scoring ability is real not a tantalizing option due to not playing. WBB scoring average looks normal. When they play a good team they have trouble getting 50 points and Tammis portal players are bad 3 pt shooters.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

A few things....looks like Weston is out along with Rory and Dubsky. I would love to see Bilau get lots of minutes, but I'm afraid his knee is going to prevent him from getting them. Even after warmups, there was a large ice pack on his right knee. Could be a chronic problem. Does Green start next Wednesday? If he can currently handle 30+ minutes, he should get them.Who would he replace. Interesting in crunch time today, Green was in and Zeke was on the bench (several turnovers again). know Ways started, but he only played 8 minutes. Luis still gets the majority of minutes there. Now that the games really count and considering what I saw today, I predict the starting lineup on Wednesday will be Kortright, House, Estevez, Green and Fuchs.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago A few things....looks like Weston is out along with Rory and Dubsky. I would love to see Bilau get lots of minutes, but I'm afraid his knee is going to prevent him from getting them. Even after warmups, there was a large ice pack on his right knee. Could be a chronic problem. Does Green start next Wednesday? If he can currently handle 30+ minutes, he should get them.Who would he replace. Interesting in crunch time today, Green was in and Zeke was on the bench (several turnovers again). know Ways started, but he only played 8 minutes. Luis still gets the majority of minutes there. Now that the games really count and considering what I saw today, I predict the starting lineup on Wednesday will be Kortright, House, Estevez, Green and Fuchs.
That’s my starting lineup also then find 4 reserves for a rotation of 9

David Green back solves a few problems !
0 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I would swap Ways for Weston in the rotation. Still think we need more scoring. I know a lot of people are down on BW, but I don’t see him out of the rotation permanently. Archie’s rotations have perplexed me this year thus far. We’ll see if he starts to be more consistent during the start of A10s.
0 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

One thing I noticed tonight. It seemed the assistants were pushing for their guys to get in the game. Maybe I saw something that doesn't exist, but would that be normal?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

SandorClegane wrote: 3 months ago I would swap Ways for Weston in the rotation. Still think we need more scoring. I know a lot of people are down on BW, but I don’t see him out of the rotation permanently. Archie’s rotations have perplexed me this year thus far. We’ll see if he starts to be more consistent during the start of A10s.
BW probably needs to really step it up in practice , it’s hard to get back in the rotation once you are out of it
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just think!

DG isn't even in game shape, Zek is still in a rut and hopefully Bilau can come back and give us consistent minutes!

If we got that much better in two weeks, who knows what the next couple months has in store for us!
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Right now - Luis/Cam/House/Green/Fuchs gives us the best chance to win until Bilau is fully healthy.

I think Cam needs to be in the game, he's too much of a sparkplug and clearly our best deep threat. House goes from cold to hot instantly and can take over in spurts.

Zek off the bench offers a lot of flexibility and can change things for us offensively. Last night showed that Weston is the guy you go to if you need a defensive pop. In 12 mins he had a Drtg of 94. That's the reason we came on strong down the stretch.

It's good to have so many good defenders on the bench. Will help us come back in games.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Last night was incredible. Awesome win. The next step is to win a game on the road. I really need to see us do that before I truly believe this team can go on a run in the A10.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Right now - Luis/Cam/House/Green/Fuchs gives us the best chance to win until Bilau is fully healthy.

I think Cam needs to be in the game, he's too much of a sparkplug and clearly our best deep threat. House goes from cold to hot instantly and can take over in spurts.

Zek off the bench offers a lot of flexibility and can change things for us offensively. Last night showed that Weston is the guy you go to if you need a defensive pop. In 12 mins he had a Drtg of 94. That's the reason we came on strong down the stretch.

It's good to have so many good defenders on the bench. Will help us come back in games.
I like that lineup to start also and maybe Zek can get going off the bench , we need him playing like he did the first few games of the year
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 3 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago Right now - Luis/Cam/House/Green/Fuchs gives us the best chance to win until Bilau is fully healthy.

I like that lineup to start also and maybe Zek can get going off the bench , we need him playing like he did the first few games of the year
That is the line up Miller started the 2nd half with last night:
Estevez
Fuchs
Green
House
Kortright

He subbed in Green for Montgomery to start 2H
1 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Archie KNOWS which players will provide quality minutes. What he can not predict is their mentality. David Fuchs looks like a different more mature player since his return. Luis took his benching and turned it into a huge positive.Now enter David Green in the mix and POOF the chemistry changes. The only two in the rotation players that are still puzzled are Zek and Always.Where the head goes everything follows. The team is believing and most importantly their heads are on straight. Go Rhody. 🐏🐏🐏
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I was looking at some stats for our 3 A10 games, particularly 3 point shooting. Luis is at 43% (6-14), Green at 45 % (5-11), House at 46% (6-13) and Cam at 50% (8-16). The only one struggling is Zek at 11 % (1-9). Are we suddenly becoming a pretty good shooting team?
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago I was looking at some stats for our 3 A10 games, particularly 3 point shooting. Luis is at 43% (6-14), Green at 45 % (5-11), House at 46% (6-13) and Cam at 50% (8-16). The only one struggling is Zek at 11 % (1-9). Are we suddenly becoming a pretty good shooting team?
I think we’ve always been a good shooting team - there’s ebbs and flows across a season.

Weston started out shooting like 80% as well. Top to bottom this is probably the best collection of shooters this team has ever put together.

How many times can you ever remember having 4 guys on the floor where you say “I don’t mind him shooting that” - ever?

Because I can’t think of any team that had more than 3.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago I was looking at some stats for our 3 A10 games, particularly 3 point shooting. Luis is at 43% (6-14), Green at 45 % (5-11), House at 46% (6-13) and Cam at 50% (8-16). The only one struggling is Zek at 11 % (1-9). Are we suddenly becoming a pretty good shooting team?
I think we’ve always been a good shooting team - there’s ebbs and flows across a season.

Weston started out shooting like 80% as well. Top to bottom this is probably the best collection of shooters this team has ever put together.

How many times can you ever remember having 4 guys on the floor where you say “I don’t mind him shooting that” - ever?

1st 9 games we went with the same line up of House, Montgomery, Kortright, Fuchs and Brown
Last 2 games replaced Brown and Montgomery from those 1st 9 game line ups with Green and Estevez. Both guys provide strong defense, good passing ability, good shooting, high basketball IQ, confidence and a steady style of play

IMG_1971.png
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I had no issue wit EC, Jared, Dowtin, Garrett shooting 3s during the 2017/2018 season.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 3 months ago

I had no issue wit EC, Jared, Dowtin, Garrett shooting 3s during the 2017/2018 season.
Jared's the only one who shot over 40%. EC shot 32%.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 3 months ago

The best shooting team was 97-98, you had: Wheeler, Mobley, Murphy, and King.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

I know you go way back. What about Sly, Jiggy, Stanley and John Nelson?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Sly could do everything,
Jiggy was much more of a penetrator and distributor.
Wright did most of his damage inside, but he did occasionally take the outside shot when available.
Nelson could shoot.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If you're judging our current players by for the first three conference games, then you have to do that for the 2017/2018 team.

With that small sample size, EC shot 50%, Dowtin should 60%, Jared shot 50% during the first three games. Jarvis shot 13% but ended the season at 38%.

Blue Man said have we ever had 4 guys where you say "I don't mind him shooting that."

I don't think many of us at all minded any of those 4 studs shooting 3's that season.
1 x
Go Rhody
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

What I like about this is that IU fans hate Archie and say that none of his teams could shoot.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Sly could do everything,
Jiggy was much more of a penetrator and distributor.
Wright did most of his damage inside, but he did occasionally take the outside shot when available.
Nelson could shoot.
But they could all shoot, from what I remember. It was before the 3 point shot, but their FG %s were.....Sly 54%, Nelson 54%, Jiggy 53% and Stan 49%.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If you're judging our current players by for the first three conference games, then you have to do that for the 2017/2018 team.

With that small sample size, EC shot 50%, Dowtin should 60%, Jared shot 50% during the first three games. Jarvis shot 13% but ended the season at 38%.

Blue Man said have we ever had 4 guys where you say "I don't mind him shooting that."

I don't think many of us at all minded any of those 4 studs shooting 3's that season.
Fair point. We'll see what it looks like going forward.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Sorry should've clarified - starting lineup. It's rare that 1-4 you have good shooters starting and on the floor at the same time.

That said, I was probably the loudest who didn't want EC shooting 3's. Ever. Elbert was easily the best left handed slasher and finisher we ever had at URI. It was absurd how quickly and shiftily he could get to the basket and score in traffic. Why he would settle for a low percentage shot instead of leaning into what he was legitimately the best player at on the floor, is beyond me.

EC's "big shot" in the tournament was one in the minority of those type of shots he hit in his career. Not a knock on him as an overall URI great, because he was, but he shouldn't have shot as many 3's as he did.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Sorry should've clarified - starting lineup. It's rare that 1-4 you have good shooters starting and on the floor at the same time.

That said, I was probably the loudest who didn't want EC shooting 3's. Ever. Elbert was easily the best left handed slasher and finisher we ever had at URI. It was absurd how quickly and shiftily he could get to the basket and score in traffic. Why he would settle for a low percentage shot instead of leaning into what he was legitimately the best player at on the floor, is beyond me.

EC's "big shot" in the tournament was one in the minority of those type of shots he hit in his career. Not a knock on him as an overall URI great, because he was, but he shouldn't have shot as many 3's as he did.
He would be iceee cold.

Rewatched the Richmond game where he got hurt and he was 1-7 before Golden tackled him.

I think he only hit two clutch shots ever, cinci and Oklahoma.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man was definitely a vocal critic of EC's outside shooting - didn't he infamously get into an internet "discussion" with a high profile family member about the 3pt shot at the end of the Oregon game?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

EC is a legend. Hit more clutch shots than you remember.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago EC is a legend. Hit more clutch shots than you remember.
Name one other than cinci and Oklahoma
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m more of a if the guy is open and the ball is moving good then take the 3

It’s the bad contested 3s that we don’t like
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 3 months ago EC is a legend. Hit more clutch shots than you remember.
It’s not a knock to say that wasn’t his game. Because it wasn’t.

He’s one of the best to ever play here. He’s one of my favorite all time rams. I bought his jersey. I still wear it.

He wasn’t a clutch shooter. I can think of plenty of heartbreaking misses - PC in the Ryan Center. St Joes where he had a wide open Hass for an easy winner, being the first two.

It wasn’t his game. Every player doesn’t have to do everything.

He did have a left handed dunk against Davidson that brought puberty back in my balls though. That Cinci shot still gives me shivers. His 3 in the tourney was incredible.

But that doesn’t make him a reliable 3 point shooter.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RhodyKyle wrote: 3 months ago Blue Man was definitely a vocal critic of EC's outside shooting - didn't he infamously get into an internet "discussion" with a high profile family member about the 3pt shot at the end of the Oregon game?
Sounds like something I would do :lol:
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Zek's current A10 stats per game through 5 games:
20.6 minutes/ 3.8 pts (15% FG, OMG)/ 3.2 rebs/ he has a total of 2 assists and 4 TO.

Most of us felt he was our best player early part of the season, what happened?

Somebody please wake him up.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Zek's current A10 stats per game through 5 games:
20.6 minutes/ 3.8 pts (15% FG, OMG)/ 3.2 rebs/ he has a total of 2 assists and 4 TO.

That kin tape appeared on his shoulder and he’s been off ever since. He’s gotta be hurt.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That kin tape appeared on his shoulder and he’s been off ever since. He’s gotta be hurt.
Every player goes through aches and pains through the course of a season. If he was unable to perform and truly injured Archie wouldn’t play him. Besides he must be medically cleared. Yeah he may be a little banged up but still.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Every player goes through aches and pains through the course of a season. If he was unable to perform and truly injured Archie wouldn’t play him. Besides he must be medically cleared. Yeah he may be a little banged up but still.
His performance is also now officially at the point where you have to sit him and let him heal, if that's the case. No point in playing him if he's shooting so poorly and not really contributing that much otherwise.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If he's shooting 15% and turning the ball over because he's hurt, he shouldn't be playing.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I can’t recall a guy falling off a Cliff like that , I hope he can turn it around
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not surprising what our best lineup is…luckily that seems like the starting lineup moving fwd.

0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Must. Retain. Cam.

2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago Must. Retain. Cam.

Yup.

That graphic though is a tough scene for the people who don't think GWs young core is any good.

Two of the top three freshman in the conference.

But yea, I wouldn't want them either.
0 x
Go Rhody
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Yup.

That graphic though is a tough scene for the people who don't think GWs young core is any good.

Who cares bro with that graphic. That so called extremely talented core just got blown out on their home court by our team who had been struggling the worst they have all season. They played awful defense and their offense was even worse.

Not to mention the NIL and Transfer portal era. Likely that the core does not stay together for GW.

Statistics and actually winning games and making winning plays are two different things. When you actually watch GW play they are not good. It is pretty clear. Maybe they have decent individual stats but as a collective team they are not good as proven on Tuesday and during Conf play.

Also GW is not deep what so ever so they rely on playing those young guys major minutes. And you are comparing their stats compared to other good A10 who do not need to rely on their freshman as much.

You really do seem like the guy that looks at the boxscore and scan to points to determine how good a player is.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

sevegny7 wrote: 2 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago

Yup.

Who cares bro with that graphic. That so called extremely talented core just got blown out on their home court by our team who had been struggling the worst they have all season. They played awful defense and their offense was even worse.

Not to mention the NIL and Transfer portal era. Likely that the core does not stay together for GW.

Statistics and actually winning games and making winning plays are two different things. When you actually watch GW play they are not good. It is pretty clear. Maybe they have decent individual stats but as a collective team they are not good as proven on Tuesday and during Conf play.

Also GW is not deep what so ever so they rely on playing those young guys major minutes. And you are comparing their stats compared to other good A10 who do not need to rely on their freshman as much.

You really do seem like the guy that looks at the boxscore and scan to points to determine how good a player is.
I’ve watched Buchanan multiple times this season.

Dude can do anything he wants on the court at will and should/will prob be at a P5 next season.

Johnson obviously didn’t play against us.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not to mention, we recruited Buchanan last offseason. Archie wanted him.

Also had multiple P5s after him.

So unless you’re smarter and a better talent evaluator than multiple D1 coaches, think it’s pretty safe to say Buchanan is extremely talented.
0 x
Go Rhody
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I'd obviously like to keep Estevez, but there's a pretty huge gulf between the top three in that table and everyone else. I think he's got a good future ahead of him, but I think as more of a solid or plus regular, not an All-Conference type of player. If he wanted to transfer after this year, it would probably be to a lateral or worse program.

I kind of think this is the case for everyone on our roster, though. We don't have a Leggett-like star that's going to garner attention from a power conference. If guys are transferring, it'll probably be because its not a fit here, or because they want more minutes, like Thomas is getting at Albany and how Hutchinson and Tchikou and others attempted to transfer down for more playing time.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago I'd obviously like to keep Estevez, but there's a pretty huge gulf between the top three in that table and everyone else. I think he's got a good future ahead of him, but I think as more of a solid or plus regular, not an All-Conference type of player. If he wanted to transfer after this year, it would probably be to a lateral or worse program.

I kind of think this is the case for everyone on our roster, though. We don't have a Leggett-like star that's going to garner attention from a power conference. If guys are transferring, it'll probably be because its not a fit here, or because they want more minutes, like Thomas is getting at Albany and how Hutchinson and Tchikou and others attempted to transfer down for more playing time.
I still feel we will keep enough core pieces to make that big jump next season.
I can see what we are capable of, and I think the consistency will come.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Bucanon of GW looks really good ! Can they keep him ?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago

Bucanon of GW looks really good ! Can they keep him ?
Need a good GM, focused on next season, maybe make a few 'trades'...
0 x