2023-24 Rotation

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023-24 Rotation

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago The interesting thing will be if Green, and Archie, want to potentially blow a year of eligibility knowing that the judge could allow the NCAA's transfer rules to be put back into place in two weeks and you lose a year to play Delaware at a neutral site and home vs New Hampshire
I've been wondering about eligibility. This is Green's 4th year in school, right? Would he still have 2 years of eligibility if he sat out this whole year? Is the play 4 years in 5 still in play?
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Gorhody.com lists him as a junior. In 2020-21 he played in 18 games at Hofstra. The next year he's listed as a freshman again, now at Louisiana Tech, playing in 34 games. I have to assume 2020-21 is considered a Covid year where you didn't lose eligibility for playing. Then listed as a sophomore last year playing in 6 games before announcing he was transferring at midseason.

If he sat out the whole year it seems like he would be eligible for 2024-25 and 2025-26 if I'm following right.

2020-21 - played but doesn't count against eligibility because of Covid
2021-22 - first year of eligibility used
2022-23 - second year of eligibility used
2023-24 - sit out transfer
2024-25 - third year of eligibility used
2025-26 -fourth year of eligibility used
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Free David Green this Saturday!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago Gorhody.com lists him as a junior. In 2020-21 he played in 18 games at Hofstra. The next year he's listed as a freshman again, now at Louisiana Tech, playing in 34 games. I have to assume 2020-21 is considered a Covid year where you didn't lose eligibility for playing. Then listed as a sophomore last year playing in 6 games before announcing he was transferring at midseason.

If he sat out the whole year it seems like he would be eligible for 2024-25 and 2025-26 if I'm following right.

2020-21 - played but doesn't count against eligibility because of Covid
2021-22 - first year of eligibility used
2022-23 - second year of eligibility used
2023-24 - sit out transfer
2024-25 - third year of eligibility used
2025-26 -fourth year of eligibility used
That makes sense. So, the 20-21 season basically doesn't exist.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago The interesting thing will be if Green, and Archie, want to potentially blow a year of eligibility knowing that the judge could allow the NCAA's transfer rules to be put back into place in two weeks and you lose a year to play Delaware at a neutral site and home vs New Hampshire
The ruling says that the NCAA can't do that.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 4 months ago
Sorry, I didn't notice that part. Then yes it's pretty much a no-brainer to use him
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 4 months ago
Sorry, I didn't notice that part. Then yes it's pretty much a no-brainer to use him
Yep and then after that we'll see if they don't just rule them eligible the rest of the year since this ruling just busts everything open.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Archie should just play him Saturday. Fuck the NCAA :lol:. What a mess.
Its probably what everyone will do.
Yup
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Welcome to the floor, David Green!
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yes sir ! No liability if we use DG !
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Does any other A10 team have a player or players sitting out that can now play?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Well there you go I guess! Sounds like we just got a new starting 4 man.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

LETS GOOOOOO!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

List of the now freed players

0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Wait, it's only for 2 weeks? Then he's back on the bench?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Wait, it's only for 2 weeks? Then he's back on the bench?
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The temporary restraining order was for 14 days, but it sounds like the NCAA sees the writing on the wall and is going to let sit-out transfers play anyway.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

adam914 wrote: 4 months ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago Wait, it's only for 2 weeks? Then he's back on the bench?
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think so. The temporary restraining order was for 14 days, but it sounds like the NCAA sees the writing on the wall and is going to let sit-out transfers play anyway.
Oh ok. Well if the NCAA doesn't do that, then they're making a huge mistake.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Sounds like positive news. But for everyone here who has touted this guy as the savior for this team, I hope he doesn't end up like The Swede.

0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Sounds like positive news. But for everyone here who has touted this guy as the savior for this team, I hope he doesn't end up like The Swede.

Didn't Archie say he could be our best player? I'm counting on him to make an impact :)
0 x
Shinze88
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Shinze88 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
theblueram wrote: 4 months ago Sounds like positive news. But for everyone here who has touted this guy as the savior for this team, I hope he doesn't end up like The Swede.

Didn't Archie say he could be our best player? I'm counting on him to make an impact :)
That Archie endorsement could be the kiss of death right there. Lets hope he doesn't get the "Fuchs" treatment if he's not a stud. I hope he is as good as were hearing, but I'm going to reserve judgement until we see him actually play. Fingers crossed he can actually play and improves our team.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 4 months ago
adam914 wrote: 4 months ago
Oh ok. Well if the NCAA doesn't do that, then they're making a huge mistake.
Yeah who knows, its all confusing! I'm not even sure what to believe at this point. Just going to wait and see what happens and hope we get to see Green on the court soon.
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also watching Green at the scrimmage he did stand out
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This is huge for us , adding a guy like this will probably make it easier for the others and let’s hope it translates into a few more wins !
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago Also watching Green at the scrimmage he did stand out
Yes he did, but then again it was the scrimmage team competition. We/ll see if he sees the floor.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
Dino611 wrote: 4 months ago Also watching Green at the scrimmage he did stand out
Yes he did, but then again it was the scrimmage team competition. We/ll see if he sees the floor.
Lol everyone said he was our best player and Archie says he's "probably" our best player.

Pretty good chance he sees the floor...
0 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NCAA says it would NOT impact eligibility if overturned

2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I love how there's next to zero hype from our fanbase about this lolol we are so dead right now.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I am so pumped about this , with DG and Zek hopefully shooting 3s @ 40 % or better that will open driving lanes for the others !
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 4 months ago I am so pumped about this , with DG and Zek hopefully shooting 3s @ 40 % or better that will open driving lanes for the others !
Me too reef! Woooo!
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

section(105) wrote: 4 months ago
Lol everyone said he was our best player and Archie says he's "probably" our best player.

Pretty good chance he sees the floor...
Even the ESPN commentators said that
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

If Green plays, then Fuchs sits and learns.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Really happy for DG. It has to be brutal sitting and watching.

Looking forward to watching him play.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I did my part.

I just woke up from sleeping the last 6 hours due to covid. If anything exciting like this is going to go down, it has to go down when I'm out so that I can wake up and have no idea what the heck is going on. That's just the way the universe works.

You're welcome. I'll make sure I do that the next time we are on the verge of signing a big recruit too.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago If Green plays, then Fuchs sits and learns.
Not necessarily.

Fuchs can play the five while Green the 4
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Sure this may be good for us in the short term, but in the big picture if this is upheld it’ll make things even worse. Are there any other NCAA rules that matter anymore? Or are they now just a promoter of college sporting events?
1 x
kal-65
Jeff Kent

Unread post by kal-65 »

and to think all the ncaa rules changes started when a player from [ ohio st i think]was being punished for selling his game shirt uniform
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Sure this may be good for us in the short term, but in the big picture if this is upheld it’ll make things even worse. Are there any other NCAA rules that matter anymore? Or are they now just a promoter of college sporting events?
I'd like to see a lawsuit against the NET.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Not necessarily.

With the new 4 guard line up it will be a guard losing their starting job to Green not a big.
0 x
PCFriars
Jeff Kent

Unread post by PCFriars »

RIFan wrote: 4 months ago Sure this may be good for us in the short term, but in the big picture if this is upheld it’ll make things even worse. Are there any other NCAA rules that matter anymore? Or are they now just a promoter of college sporting events?
I don’t think this is good for anybody. Very short term wins like this one, but over the long haul I think this is just the next step in the ultimate dismantling of the NCAA. And while it will be fun to dance on that grave for a hot minute, they are needed to keep a lot of schools and conferences relevant.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm high on Green, but we must remember it's very tough to come in and make an impact in the middle of the season. Especially after sitting. Green will likely need at least a few games to get his rhythm back, so if he's off early on, that shouldn't be a surprise. Let's hope we get him for all of A10 play. I think he makes us a better team.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Not sure why only a couple people see how this is a BAD thing for Rhody big picture. Allowing players to just move at a whim is not good for us. I would rather Green sit and we struggle than the floodgates that could open from this esp for mid majors.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Some would say the NCAA is paying the price for being so rigid for so many years.

Like I never understood the situation where UCLA got the so called "Death Penalty" by the NCAA because Harrick had like 2-3 players too many at a dinner for two recruits at a fancy restaurant. Let's be realistic here for a moment. Regardless of what you thought of Harrick, was that dinner going to move the needle of those recruits going to a team coming off an NCAA Championship whatsoever? A dinner? Not the school itself. Not the program. Not the coach. Not the Championship. Not all of the momentum, like UConn had this past year. A dinner at a fancy restaurant paid for by the school.

I never got that. If the school has so much money that they want to put an entire two day block party on their tab for you and your recruit, I don't understand why that is anyone else's business. Again, the player was already going to the school regardless.

Now a days, that the NCAA has been sidelined, that dinner being the cause of all of that would be laughable.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Not sure why only a couple people see how this is a BAD thing for Rhody big picture. Allowing players to just move at a whim is not good for us. I would rather Green sit and we struggle than the floodgates that could open from this esp for mid majors.
BAR, it allows every one of our players to transfer next year and play immediately. That has to be a good thing, right?
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 4 months ago Not sure why only a couple people see how this is a BAD thing for Rhody big picture. Allowing players to just move at a whim is not good for us. I would rather Green sit and we struggle than the floodgates that could open from this esp for mid majors.
Me too... This is not good for us and our future.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

We'll see how it all plays out long term. I'm glad Green may get to see the floor this year, but definitely not blind to what the long term effects could be. I'm sure this is far from the end of the whole ordeal, so for now I'm just going to look forward to the team hopefully having one more piece for this year and then whatever happens down the road happens. As fans, its not like our reaction to the news is going to change the eventual outcome either way.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
Not necessarily.

With the new 4 guard line up it will be a guard losing their starting job to Green not a big.
I dont think you get it.

He went to a four guard lineup because we didn't have a stretch 4/forward who can play inside out.

Green can shoot and drive to the basket. You can play him with one of the four other bigs because you can still space the floor.

We were only advocating for a four guard lineup because we were playing two centers at a time. Which just didn't work.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Not necessarily.

I dont think you get it.

He went to a four guard lineup because we didn't have a stretch 4/forward who can play inside out.

Green can shoot and drive to the basket. You can play him with one of the four other bigs because you can still space the floor.

We were only advocating for a four guard lineup because we were playing two centers at a time. Which just didn't work.
That is not what Archie is saying on tonight's show.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I think Green's presence in the next 14 days may cut into Fuchs and Weston's minutes on the court.

Possible new starting line-up against Delaware:
1. Luis
2. House
3. Zek
4. Green
5. Bilau
0 x