RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing to me - as it is to everyone else here on KB - how the populace and legislative leadership of this state continually misperceives, undervalues, disrespects, marginalizes, and stunts the growth and potential of the state’s flagship university - especially when the potential of The University of Rhode Island can benefit the state in so many ways directly and indirectly.

It is just friggin’ mind boggling.
7 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing to me - as it is to everyone else here on KB - how the populace and legislative leadership of this state continually misperceives, undervalues, disrespects, marginalizes, and stunts the growth and potential of the state’s flagship university - especially when the potential of The University of Rhode Island can benefit the state in so many ways directly and indirectly.

You're obviously new to this. URI has been treated like this for decades.

Rhode Island isn't just a state -- it's a state of mind.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I know Red. I am not knew to it. I have seen it first hand during the years I volunteered for Rhody. That’s why I said continually.

ETA: My frustration just periodically gets to a point that I need to spout off.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago It is incredibly frustrating and disappointing to me - as it is to everyone else here on KB - how the populace and legislative leadership of this state continually misperceives, undervalues, disrespects, marginalizes, and stunts the growth and potential of the state’s flagship university - especially when the potential of The University of Rhode Island can benefit the state in so many ways directly and indirectly.

There is a reason and I won't state it because that would be deemed political. But put two and two together. (i.e see San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Chitown and Detroit. Also Baltimore, Philly, NYC etc.)
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

theblueram wrote: 10 months ago

There is a reason and I won't state it because that would be deemed political. But put two and two together. (i.e see San Fran, Seattle, Portland, Chitown and Detroit. Also Baltimore, Philly, NYC etc.)
I'll say it. IDGAF. Keep voting Keaney Blue, RI.
2 x
:lol:
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

I was a student during Carcieri's tenure and let me tell you, that side did fuck all for the university too.
1 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

PCFriars wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago Honestly I'm not sure that's really a hot take. You have to take care of those three programs first. I just don't see where what's in the budget takes care of Meade. And if not now, when does Meade get fixed? How long does it have left?

It's so insulting that the state only kicked in $18 million on the Ryan Center, spent around $200 million to buy the Dump from Providence and renovate it for the PBruins and PC, proposed tens of millions in a failed attempt to keep the PawSox, has spent $60 million on a stadium for an unaffiliated soccer team no one was asking for, and is now again only giving us crumbs when it's our turn to get funded. Maybe if we were a private enterprise instead of the state flagship we could get proper funding for once
I’m not an expert in the area, but I think Title IX might have an impact here. I’m not sure how much can be solely allocated to a men’s sport without equal allocation in a women’s sport. I could be wrong, but I think might be why track is lumped in with these football renovations.
Title IX has nothing to do with capital improvements.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RhodyKyle wrote: 10 months ago

I was a student during Carcieri's tenure and let me tell you, that side did fuck all for the university too.
Once again, the Speaker of the House of RI runs the State budget. Not the Governor.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Once again, the Speaker of the House of RI runs the State budget. Not the Governor.
Yup, you have a guy who maybe got 4k votes, and is in charge of the entire budget for this state. Think about that one.
4 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI just doesn't have statewide support. We are the University of Southern Rhode Island when it comes to athletics. It has been this way for years and will continue until we wise up. I'm sad about this but not surprised.
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think they see the University as a side business. They do not connect the dots of greater supporting of the university as a build business locally as an economic opportunity engine for the state. Nice cute little farm town community in south county. Each recent URI President sees URI as fertile ground for growth, advancement of academic achievement. These Presidents set their own agenda, see what is behind the curtain, and achieve what they can, hit the road blocks and move on. Been going on for years. No?
4 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

section(105) wrote: 10 months ago I think they see the University as a side business. They do not connect the dots of greater supporting of the university as a build business locally as an economic opportunity engine for the state. Nice cute little farm town community in south county. Each recent URI President sees URI as fertile ground for growth, advancement of academic achievement. These Presidents set their own agenda, see what is behind the curtain, and achieve what they can, hit the road blocks and move on. Been going on for years. No?
I'll give Marc Parlange credit for this: He's been talking non-stop about the blue economy and its massive growth potential -- and how URI can and should be the facilitator of the blue economy.
7 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago Image

So after the Governor proposed $43.3 million from the state over three years in his budget to renovate Meade and the Slade track complex, it appears the legislature has come back with $28.3 million over two years in their budget for an "athletics complex" that came out yesterday. (Page 41 of following PDF)

http://webserver.rilegislature.gov/Bill ... /H5200.pdf

A. Congratulations on the General Assembly yet again shitting on the state University. I don't know what the record is for consecutive years for one legislative body shitting on their state flagship University is, but RI definitely holds that record.
B. I bet they think we should be grateful for these crumbs they threw our way while they were running a surplus. But they chopped off more than a third of what the Governor proposed. Again, just an embarrassment of a General Assembly.
C. I really have no idea what this means for us going forward.

It appears that renovating the unsafe East Meade stands is off the table. The $28 million would still leave $14 million that the University would need to fund that project alone and I don't see where that could be considered a "complex".

If we follow the Governor's proposal where the state kicks in 80% and the University does the other 20%, this means we're funding about $35.4 million worth of athletics upgrades. I'm not really seeing a combination of these projects that gets to $35.4 million.

If the state funding is all we're using and we're not kicking in University funding than the bottom 4 projects on the top image should all be funded, which is great that they're being done as they're all necessary projects, but it leaves the facility for your 2nd most visible sport unsafe and noncompetitive and it leaves your outdoor track condemned for 30 years when pretty much every city and town has their own outdoor track and field facility. And honestly, at $42 million for Meade if we're not getting the state to fund a state facility I don't know what the future holds for that stadium and our football program.

I can't wait to see what this means for us going forward
So there has been a change, and the version of the budget that the Senate finance will take up provides $39.57 million for the athletics complex, up from $28.3 million. It provides $26.27 million this fiscal year and $13.3 next year.

http://webserver.rilegislature.gov/Bill ... 200Aaa.pdf

I've also heard a rumor that the state, between the dedicated portion of the budget for an athletics complex and other appropriations not specifically listed for athletics is giving us $65.84 million for athletics facilities, or 80% of the funding for our entire needs.

At this point, I think it's just wait for the Governor to sign off on the budget and wait a couple of days to a week for the athletic department to issue a press release talking about what will be renovated and how
Last edited by RhowdyRam02 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago

So after the Governor proposed $43.3 million from the state over three years in his budget to renovate Meade and the Slade track complex, it appears the legislature has come back with $28.3 million over two years in their budget for an "athletics complex" that came out yesterday. (Page 41 of following PDF)

A. Congratulations on the General Assembly yet again shitting on the state University. I don't know what the record is for consecutive years for one legislative body shitting on their state flagship University is, but RI definitely holds that record.
B. I bet they think we should be grateful for these crumbs they threw our way while they were running a surplus. But they chopped off more than a third of what the Governor proposed. Again, just an embarrassment of a General Assembly.

It appears that renovating the unsafe East Meade stands is off the table. The $28 million would still leave $14 million that the University would need to fund that project alone and I don't see where that could be considered a "complex".

If we follow the Governor's proposal where the state kicks in 80% and the University does the other 20%, this means we're funding about $35.4 million worth of athletics upgrades. I'm not really seeing a combination of these projects that gets to $35.4 million.

If the state funding is all we're using and we're not kicking in University funding than the bottom 4 projects on the top image should all be funded, which is great that they're being done as they're all necessary projects, but it leaves the facility for your 2nd most visible sport unsafe and noncompetitive and it leaves your outdoor track condemned for 30 years when pretty much every city and town has their own outdoor track and field facility. And honestly, at $42 million for Meade if we're not getting the state to fund a state facility I don't know what the future holds for that stadium and our football program.

So there has been a change, and the version of the budget that the Senate finance will take up provides $39.57 million for the athletics complex, up from $28.3 million. It provides $26.27 million this fiscal year and $13.3 next year.

I've also hear a rumor that the state, between the dedicated portion of the budget for an athletics complex and other appropriations not specifically listed for athletics is giving us $65.84 million for athletics facilities, or 80% of the funding for our entire needs.

At this point, I think it's just wait for the Governor to sign off on the budget and wait a couple of days to a week for the athletic department to issue a press release talking about what will be renovated and how
Thanks for the update.

I was holding off on commenting on any of this until you came back with the rumor you heard. Now that you have dropped it it is not as good as I was hoping for, but better than what had been reported. I was hoping that it would be clear that they at least get the 43.3 million that the Governor asked for. It looks like they have come close with the 39.57 which is 3.73 million less, or 8.6%. Much better than the 28.3 million that was in the original house bill. The funding is over two years and not 3 years, so a little closer in value when time value of money is factored in here. And maybe in three years, they will throw us another bone and it ends up being more over 3 years. Pure speculation on my part.

When you say other appropriations not specifically listed for athletics, is that the University General Budget that you are referring to or something else? You may not know which is fine but I hope your source is accurate, that would be great. Will take your advice and see what comes out about this after the dust has settled. Hoping for the best but expecting to be disappointed.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I've also hear a rumor that the state, between the dedicated portion of the budget for an athletics complex and other appropriations not specifically listed for athletics is giving us $65.84 million for athletics facilities, or 80% of the funding for our entire needs.

Awesome news and thanks!

Not of fan of McKee's "leadership" through Covid - but he does seem like a genuine guy, and at the very least he's supporting the flagship university while being visible at Rhody events.

First Governor since Linc to actually put state money where his mouth is. Refreshing.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

My source is very solid, same one that tipped me off that Meade renovations would be in the capital budget proposed by the Governor. They didn't get that far into the weeds with me about where the extra money might be coming from. So take it for what it's worth while knowing that things can change. We're clearly getting a solid chunk of money at this point to renovate some portion of our athletic facilities, I feel comfortable saying that at this point
7 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago My source is very solid, same one that tipped me off that Meade renovations would be in the capital budget proposed by the Governor. They didn't get that far into the weeds with me about where the extra money might be coming from. So take it for what it's worth while knowing that things can change. We're clearly getting a solid chunk of money at this point to renovate some portion of our athletic facilities, I feel comfortable saying that at this point
I have heard plenty to corroborate everything you're saying. Was hoping you'd have an update so I didn't have to go snooping :lol:
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's huge. Absolutely huge.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

4Diffs wrote: 10 months ago

Thanks for the update.

I was holding off on commenting on any of this until you came back with the rumor you heard. Now that you have dropped it it is not as good as I was hoping for, but better than what had been reported. I was hoping that it would be clear that they at least get the 43.3 million that the Governor asked for. It looks like they have come close with the 39.57 which is 3.73 million less, or 8.6%. Much better than the 28.3 million that was in the original house bill. The funding is over two years and not 3 years, so a little closer in value when time value of money is factored in here. And maybe in three years, they will throw us another bone and it ends up being more over 3 years. Pure speculation on my part.

When you say other appropriations not specifically listed for athletics, is that the University General Budget that you are referring to or something else? You may not know which is fine but I hope your source is accurate, that would be great. Will take your advice and see what comes out about this after the dust has settled. Hoping for the best but expecting to be disappointed.
I'll just say some things to this.

First, yeah, I know I got pissy when I saw the House's original budget, but with hindsight, even the $28.3 million they had in the budget for athletic facilities is actually an historic amount for them. Consider, they only offered $18 million towards the Ryan Center. $28.3 million for athletic facilities that don't include basketball is absolutely massive for us.

Second, the $39.57 million looks very solid. If I had to guess the Senate is going to pass the budget as is. They want to wrap up their session Friday, they're not going to want to amend the budget and kick it back to the House and keep going around in circles. My guess is the Senate got the changes they wanted/needed for passage before it left the House and they're good to go. And there's no way McKee will veto this budget.

Third, I'd love to know how it got bumped from $28.3 million to $39.57 million.

Fourth, if you told me a year ago we'd be getting $39.57 million from the General Assembly for athletic facilities I'd never believe you.

Fifth, I actually don't have a problem with the state doing an 80/20 split with us. This is them investing in state owned facilities used by a state department, they should be putting in the lion's share. However, if we can't get the final 20%, that shows this project clearly isn't that big of a deal, and why should they extend themselves for the 80%? As a University we should have a stake in the project's cost.

Sixth, I can't wait until the press release announcing all of this, that is going to be epic! And I wouldn't mind something from Bill Koch and/or William Geoghegan with a behind the scenes of how all of this came together. Like I said, I find that $11.27 million bump in like half a week to be especially interesting.

Seventh, God bless Marc Parlange, Thorr Bjorn, and our Board of Trustees. This is what great leadership and intestinal fortitude looks like. I really thought the plan was to get this through as quietly as possible, and was shocked when we publicly released the videos showing the state of our facilities and when Thorr met with Channel 12. They clearly shot for the moon knowing there would probably only be one bite at the apple, and they may have just gotten the whole damn thing. Even if they didn't, $39.57 million is still unprecedented
7 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

For #3...

I believe they have a reconciliation process. That's kind of the reason my initial reaction was not to react. You don't really know the final amt until it is signed.
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

Awesome news and thanks!

Not of fan of McKee's "leadership" through Covid - but he does seem like a genuine guy, and at the very least he's supporting the flagship university while being visible at Rhody events.

First Governor since Linc to actually put state money where his mouth is. Refreshing.
Wasn’t Gina gov during covid? Or at least the height?
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steviep123 wrote: 10 months ago
Blue Man wrote: 10 months ago

Awesome news and thanks!

Wasn’t Gina gov during covid? Or at least the height?
Yes.

Covid started surfacing in Jan 2020.
A10 Championships cancelled March 12, 2020 and Nursing homes closed by Raimondo administration
A year later, Raimondo sworn in as Commerce Secretary by Kamala Harris March 2021 and McKee became Governor
Raimondo did not involve McKee in Covid management much at all prior to her departure to Wash DC
McKee led RI to be the 5th State to hit 70% Vaccination Rate in May 2021 as he put strong focus on Vaccinations
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Looks like the Senate will be voting on the budget today after 4pm
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Rhowdy-all this was discussed at the golf tournament 06/02. Nothign newsworthy in your report as always.
Since it was a fund raiser you weren't there, were you? But then again you never are.
Its great to see you jump onboard the band wagon after others have done the heavy lifting. Are you still not going to donate to football because of philosophical differences over the financing of it?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Rhowdy-all this was discussed at the golf tournament 06/02. Nothign newsworthy in your report as always.
Since it was a fund raiser you weren't there, were you? But then again you never are.
Its great to see you jump onboard the band wagon after others have done the heavy lifting. Are you still not going to donate to football because of philosophical differences over the financing of it?
Yeah, and I've been discussing this for six months. Keep up clown
3 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

While we await finalization of the State Budget and what's in it for URI, let me summarize what President Parlange is seeking based on his recent letter to key boosters and alumni:

URI has requested a $32 million increase in its appropriation for FY24. In addition to the annual appropriation, Parlange is also requesting $122.8 million for URI’s Capital Plan for the period FY24-FY28. This funding is for asset protection and new projects which includes significant upgrades to Meade Stadium as well as to track, softball, baseball, soccer and swimming facilities.

First thing to look for in the finalized budget is annual appropriation number. Did Parlange get the $32 million increase. If not, how much did URI get.

The Capital Plan request of $122.8 is spread over 4 years, but we can still see how much URI gets versus what it asked for. The annual spread may differ, but hopefully total of $122.8 remains intact.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

In theory there is nothing stopping the athletic department from issuing a press release as early as tomorrow afternoon outlining what renovations will be taking place
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

In theory there is nothing stopping the athletic department from issuing a press release as early as tomorrow afternoon outlining what renovations will be taking place
a $14B budget in a year is $14K per person in this state. That's every man, women and child. Who is paying for this budget?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

a $14B budget in a year is $14K per person in this state. That's every man, women and child. Who is paying for this budget?
Future generations
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Federal subsidies, companies, and tax payers. Don't forget the impact of the first two. My employer paid $170 million in SALT in 2022 and the largest share of revenue was earned in RI.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

The State budget on a per capita basis is among the highest in the nation and this level of spending has been true for many years. The $14 billion budget comes to $12,000 per capita, the highest of all New England states. But the anomaly is that URI has historically gotten poor funding year after year despite the State's high spending environment. What gives with that!

Again the question is how did URI fare with this latest State budget and did President Parlange meet his goals??
2 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

you and I. And everyone else in RI who will remember and vote down URI bond questions on future ballots.

Hope it's spent wisely. Might be a while be for URI sees more.
0 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago While we await finalization of the State Budget and what's in it for URI, let me summarize what President Parlange is seeking based on his recent letter to key boosters and alumni:

URI has requested a $32 million increase in its appropriation for FY24. In addition to the annual appropriation, Parlange is also requesting $122.8 million for URI’s Capital Plan for the period FY24-FY28. This funding is for asset protection and new projects which includes significant upgrades to Meade Stadium as well as to track, softball, baseball, soccer and swimming facilities.

First thing to look for in the finalized budget is annual appropriation number. Did Parlange get the $32 million increase. If not, how much did URI get.

The Capital Plan request of $122.8 is spread over 4 years, but we can still see how much URI gets versus what it asked for. The annual spread may differ, but hopefully total of $122.8 remains intact.
I have cut and pasted what appear to be the relevant sections of the budget. Someone else might do better with figuring out what everything means.

University of Rhode Island
7 General Revenues
8 General Revenues 105,389,557
9 Provided that in order to leverage federal funding and support economic development,
10 $700,000 shall be allocated to the Small Business Development Center, $100,000 shall be allocated
11 to the Institute for Labor Studies & Research and that $50,000 shall be allocated to Special
12 Olympics Rhode Island to support its mission of providing athletic opportunities for individuals
13 with intellectual and developmental disabilities.
14 Debt Service 31,813,173
15 RI State Forensics Laboratory 1,618,744
16 Federal Funds - State Fiscal Recovery Funds
17 PFAS Water Treatment Plant 20,000,000
18 Other Funds
19 University and College Funds 745,170,430
20 Debt - Dining Services 992,421
21 Debt - Education and General 7,633,681
22 Debt - Health Services 119,986
23 Debt - Housing Loan Funds 12,979,112
24 Debt - Memorial Union 425,523
25 Debt - Ryan Center 2,378,224
26 Debt - Parking Authority 819,763
27 URI Restricted Debt Service - Energy Conservation 507,250
28 URI Debt Service - Energy Conservation 1,885,825
29 Rhode Island Capital Plan Funds
30 Asset Protection 13,494,395
31 Mechanical, Electric, and Plumbing Improvements 4,400,000
32 Fire Protection Academic Buildings 3,081,532
33 Bay Campus 6,000,000
34 Athletics Complex 26,270,000
Art1
"RELATING TO MAKING APPROPRIATIONS IN SUPPORT OF FY 2024
(Page -26-)
1 Provided that total Rhode Island Capital Plan funds provide no more than 80.0 percent of
2 the total project.
3 Stormwater Management 256,338
4 Fine Arts Center Renovation 8,000,000
5 Total - University of Rhode Island 993,235,954
6 Notwithstanding the provisions of section 35-3-15 of the general laws, all unexpended or
7 unencumbered balances as of June 30, 2024 relating to the University of Rhode Island are hereby
8 reappropriated to fiscal year 2025.

And

25 URI - Asset Protection 14,006,225 14,606,536 15,236,863 15,528,074
26 URI - Athletics Complex 26,270,000 13,300,000
27 URI - Fine Arts Center Renovation 8,000,000
28 URI - Fire Protection Academic Buildings 3,311,666
29 URI - Bay Campus 6,000,000 12,500,000 12,500,000
30 URI – Mechanical, Electric, & Plumbing Improv. 13,205,467

First column is appropriations for 7/1/24 to 6/30/25 and then each column represents the next fiscal year
2 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

It's worth noting that these potential improvements are all one time expenditures and therefore eligible for COVID money which is still substantial.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 10 months ago It's worth noting that these potential improvements are all one time expenditures and therefore eligible for COVID money which is still substantial.
RI is 2nd last in the country in spending on this fund. Money will be lost if not spent by end of 2024.
Also talk of clawing back unused Covid Funds as part of the National Debt Ceiling talks. RI is at risk of losing a lot of Covid money since it's been slow to spend.

https://rhodeislandcurrent.com/2023/05/ ... l-unspent/
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Article from 2 years ago when McKee was trying to spend Covid Money but General Assembly waved him away.

No excuse not to spend this money that will go back to the Fdderal Government.

25EA4525-3654-4220-9E80-AC09CDE3C66C.png
Last edited by ramster 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's more than a year and a half old. I wonder what this situation looks like now
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Congress has been in talks to claw back unspent Covid money in the latest debt ceiling talks.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI got $4 Billion from the American Rescue Plan.

4 Billion.

https://www.economicprogressri.org/amer ... scue-plan/
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

26 URI - Athletics Complex 26,270,000 13,300,000

First column is appropriations for 7/1/24 to 6/30/25 and then each column represents the next fiscal year

That is the $39,570,000 that was referenced in an earlier post. How firm is the second year number? Does it have to be approved again next year?
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

That's a great question, and something a press release might answer. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's firm. It would be almost impossible to get any multi-fiscal year project done around the state if you couldn't plan on funds more than a year out
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

So now that the budget is signed, here are what I estimate are the most likely times we'll get an announcement.

1. This afternoon. No time like the present, get the good news out as soon as possible.
2. Tuesday through Thursday next week. Maybe they need to need to line up quotes from key legislators and the Governor for the press release. Maybe they want to finalize some capital campaign plans and want to have that ready to go for the announcement. If so, this is probably when you'll see an announcement.
3. June 29th. Maybe they want to announce it during the Evening with Coach Miller event in coordination with Alumni Engagement.
4. July 3rd or 5th. Wait for the new fiscal year when we get the first batch of money to announce it.

All I know is I can't wait until that press release comes out! What an historic day for the University of Rhode Island!
2 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago So now that the budget is signed, here are what I estimate are the most likely times we'll get an announcement.

1. This afternoon. No time like the present, get the good news out as soon as possible.
2. Tuesday through Thursday next week. Maybe they need to need to line up quotes from key legislators and the Governor for the press release. Maybe they want to finalize some capital campaign plans and want to have that ready to go for the announcement. If so, this is probably when you'll see an announcement.
3. June 29th. Maybe they want to announce it during the Evening with Coach Miller event in coordination with Alumni Engagement.
4. July 3rd or 5th. Wait for the new fiscal year when we get the first batch of money to announce it.

All I know is I can't wait until that press release comes out! What an historic day for the University of Rhode Island!
I'm usually all for #1 but a Friday news drop is usually reserved for bad news because it will be forgotten over the weekend.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago So now that the budget is signed, here are what I estimate are the most likely times we'll get an announcement.

I'm usually all for #1 but a Friday news drop is usually reserved for bad news because it will be forgotten over the weekend.
Especially a 3 day weekend
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Fair point, I did consider that
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago That's a great question, and something a press release might answer. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's firm. It would be almost impossible to get any multi-fiscal year project done around the state if you couldn't plan on funds more than a year out
How does the 20% raised by URI work? Are there hard timetable strings for it tied to the public money disbursement process?
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I will be the first to admit the FY24 State Budget details are a maze, so I do not know authoritatively if this is true, but it appears President Parlange missed his goal.

This is what got from googling the state budget:

 University of Rhode Island: The Budget provides an increase in general revenue of $7.9 million, including $6.4 million to cover raising costs needed to operate at the current service level and $1.5 million for an investment in URI’s focus on the Blue Economy. The Budget also provides $15.0 million in RICAP funds for FY2024 to begin the renewal of the athletic complex and $8.0 million in RICAP funds to accelerate the Fine Arts Center renovation.

Again, what Parlange was requesting as the FY24 State Appropriation was $123.3 million, a $32 million increase. If the above is accurate then he got only $7.9 million or about 25% of the requested increase. This just covers inflation plus little bit more.

On the Capital side (RICAP). This is bit more complicated because it includes non-Athletics funding, e.g. the Fine Arts Center. The URI request covering FY24-28 was for $122.8. For just FY24, URI got $15 million for Athletics complex renewal and $8 million for Fine Arts Center renovation, a combined 19% of the four year RICAP request. While the RICAP request covers 4 years, it seems the FY24 start year is much less than requested.

Again, my interpretation/analysis may not be correct and we will have to rely on URI officials to present an accurate picture of how much of their request was granted. If anyone has better info, please provide. Stay tuned on this important subject.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago That's a great question, and something a press release might answer. If I'd have to guess I'd say it's firm. It would be almost impossible to get any multi-fiscal year project done around the state if you couldn't plan on funds more than a year out
How does the 20% raised by URI work? Are there hard timetable strings for it tied to the public money disbursement process?
Great question. That would have to come from a press release, if we ever even find out at all
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

I just got a more definitive report from the URI Foundation on how URI fared in the State's FY24 budget:

The 2023-24 State of Rhode Island budget was passed by the General Assembly and signed by the governor late this week, and I am pleased to report that the University will receive $105.4 million in state funding for operating expenses in fiscal year 2024—an increase of $14.1 million over last year’s state appropriation. URI will also receive $65.8 million in RICAP (Rhode Island Capital Plan) funding for significant maintenance and renovation needs at our athletic venues, which serve our entire student population and many community members and organizations.

While this budget appropriation did not meet our requested $123.3 million allocation, it does represent a significant investment in URI and the impactful work we do as the state's flagship public research university. We are grateful that the state leaders are beginning to address the decades of decline in per-student funding.

Good news though not the big breakthrough needed in either the annual appropriation or the RICAP. Maybe next year.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

a degree for in state students costs over $60K.Doesn't include books, room and board. That is a joke.
1 x