RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Big push to get state leaders and RI in general to recognize the need for upgrades at URI, specifically athletics.

https://www.wpri.com/sports/college/uri ... disrepair/

3 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Go Rhody!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

It's in the best interest of the university and the whole state.
2 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

What is Mike McNally saying on twitter

Mike McNally
@MikeMcNallyRI
·
2h
Amanda- to be clear. The Governor’s proposed budget makes huge cuts to URI’s operating and Capital budget requests. For example, governors proposed operating fund is less than URI spent last year. Hopefully the legislature fixes this.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

the comments on the WPRI FB post on this.... just. wow. the uneducated and uninformed.

a microcosm of how doomed our state and country really are.

a bond for athletics has no chance if it appears on a ballot.
1 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Big push to get state leaders and RI in general to recognize the need for upgrades at URI, specifically athletics.

I have to be honest, I don't know what to think here. It seems like previously the strategy was keep absolutely quiet and let Meade and the track and field facility get passed with no one noticing. Now it seems like there's a change in strategy with this story coming out and videos on YouTube detailing how bad our facilities are. Did we think our project was going to get cut and we're looking to apply pressure to keep them in the budget? Are we so confident in getting Meade and the track through that we think if we apply pressure we can get everything through? The latter would be nice but I'm thinking it's the former unfortunately

2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago the comments on the WPRI FB post on this.... just. wow. the uneducated and uninformed.

a microcosm of how doomed our state and country really are.

a bond for athletics has no chance if it appears on a ballot.
Rhode Islanders are infamous for their absolutely insane comments on social media. No one has a clue. Insufferable.
3 x
GO RAMS
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Not sure if this is off topic, but I was at the school last summer, and I thought the outside of Mackal/Kearney Gym looked beat up. Maybe I am wrong. I just remember thinking it didn’t look good. Also, the stores near upper college road are strange looking. Totally dated. I know that’s probably owned privately but it’s such a focal point near campus that it should look great. Something should be done. The new generation of applicants are kind of spoiled, in my opinion and want the latest, greatest, trendiest stuff. It makes a difference when a prospective student visits the school. Again, just my opinion.
0 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if this is off topic, but I was at the school last summer, and I thought the outside of Mackal/Kearney Gym looked beat up. Maybe I am wrong. I just remember thinking it didn’t look good. Also, the stores near upper college road are strange looking. Totally dated. I know that’s probably owned privately but it’s such a focal point near campus that it should look great. Something should be done. The new generation of applicants are kind of spoiled, in my opinion and want the latest, greatest, trendiest stuff. It makes a difference when a prospective student visits the school. Again, just my opinion.
They are currently fixing the outside of Keaney.
4 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

They are doing work to the front of Keaney. The Emporium nothing can be done because it's privately owned. The University should have tried to purchase it when it sold for $5.475 million in 2004.

Here's a recent update on URI ongoing projects:

https://rhodycigar.com/2023/04/27/const ... ay-campus/
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody_NYCT wrote: 1 year ago Not sure if this is off topic, but I was at the school last summer, and I thought the outside of Mackal/Kearney Gym looked beat up. Maybe I am wrong. I just remember thinking it didn’t look good. Also, the stores near upper college road are strange looking. Totally dated. I know that’s probably owned privately but it’s such a focal point near campus that it should look great. Something should be done. The new generation of applicants are kind of spoiled, in my opinion and want the latest, greatest, trendiest stuff. It makes a difference when a prospective student visits the school. Again, just my opinion.
219B861E-6045-4D17-BBFA-B0668146C32C.jpeg
C8678FCC-7F11-4ED6-815E-959AEE1D09CC.jpeg
3 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago They are doing work to the front of Keaney. The Emporium nothing can be done because it's privately owned. The University should have tried to purchase it when it sold for $5.475 million in 2004.
No doubt, it looks pretty much the same as it did when I was in school. In 1989.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

the Emporium is a dump.
0 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Wow, can’t believe the school passed on the opportunity to buy that shopping center. It has the potential to be a major selling point to students. Maybe the school can go partners with them on some type of update and facelift. That area should look pristine.
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

That’s great news about the work being done to the front of Keaney.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

It's been going on for some time. Maybe since December or thereabouts??

Work has started on the Meade Field East stands. Cement truck spotted yesterday
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
219B861E-6045-4D17-BBFA-B0668146C32C.jpeg

C8678FCC-7F11-4ED6-815E-959AEE1D09CC.jpeg
Thanks for the pictures and updates, Ramster. Much appreciated.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

WPRI TV did a news video of failed outdoor facilities, with Thorr painting the multiple deficiencies picture. Have to say, I was pretty shocked. WPRI will do further follow up with Thorr. Shame on me to not know these facilities e siting conditions are as poor as shown. Focus was soccer, baseball, track, and of course metal bleachers on football, and out of code and ADA non compliance press boxes across the outdoor board. My guess is, high school kids compete on better.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI leaders say athletic facilities are in ‘disrepair’

1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago WPRI TV did a news video of failed outdoor facilities, with Thorr painting the multiple deficiencies picture. Have to say, I was pretty shocked. WPRI will do further follow up with Thorr. Shame on me to not know these facilities e siting conditions are as poor as shown. Focus was soccer, baseball, track, and of course metal bleachers on football, and out of code and ADA non compliance press boxes across the outdoor board. My guess is, high school kids compete on better.
Because former leadership at the University didn’t want anyone to know that things were that bad because it was not a priority of his to fix them.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago WPRI TV did a news video of failed outdoor facilities, with Thorr painting the multiple deficiencies picture. Have to say, I was pretty shocked. WPRI will do further follow up with Thorr. Shame on me to not know these facilities e siting conditions are as poor as shown. Focus was soccer, baseball, track, and of course metal bleachers on football, and out of code and ADA non compliance press boxes across the outdoor board. My guess is, high school kids compete on better.
100% some local HS's are playing on and in nicer facilities. The State of RI and the university are their own worst enemies.

it's no secret the state as a whole is difficult for actual for profit companies to do business with and for corporations to operate within. RI is not business friendly, no matter what BS our elected officials want to say.

The state and university have zero interest in running their newest facilities (RC/Boss) as ops been outsourced since day one. They kicked the can.

why would we expect the state to take care of older facilities if they cant take care of the new ones?

Expect nothing to change without a massive private donation and/or earmarked capital campaign. right or wrong, RI'ers are not going to approve millions on the ballot to repair URI athletic facilities.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 11 months ago My guess is, high school kids compete on better.
As a matter of fact, the URI outdoor track & field teams were (and maybe still are, I'm out of the loop now) using the Narragansett track and field facility which is quite new, and top notch.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 11 months ago
section(105) wrote: 11 months ago My guess is, high school kids compete on better.
As a matter of fact, the URI track outdoor track teams were (and maybe still are, I'm out of the loop now) using the Narragansett track and field facility which is quite new, and top notch.
That should be a complete embarrassment to the state, but most people seem to have the attitude of "good, screw them, why should URI get anything?"
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 11 months ago
100% some local HS's are playing on and in nicer facilities. The State of RI and the university are their own worst enemies.

it's no secret the state as a whole is difficult for actual for profit companies to do business with and for corporations to operate within. RI is not business friendly, no matter what BS our elected officials want to say.

The state and university have zero interest in running their newest facilities (RC/Boss) as ops been outsourced since day one. They kicked the can.

why would we expect the state to take care of older facilities if they cant take care of the new ones?

Expect nothing to change without a massive private donation and/or earmarked capital campaign. right or wrong, RI'ers are not going to approve millions on the ballot to repair URI athletic facilities.
I think that's why the University worked so hard to get Meade and the track and field facility into the budget. We know we can't get a bond passed and a capital campaign for that kind of money could take longer than the East stands have left
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Are all the recent URI athletic facility reports part of a concerted PR campaign to get approval from the legislature for McKee's budget? Is there concern the GA will not approve McKee's plan?

Meanwhile in Providence, the state is about to start spending some $8M on a new roof for the AMP Pavilion. The state spent more than $100M to purchase and renovate the arena less than 20 years ago. None of the many tens of millions spent by the state on this facility ever went before voters as GA approval was all that was needed.
Last edited by RF1 11 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago Are all the recent URI athletic facility reports part of a concerted PR campaign to get approval from the legislature for McKee's budget? Is there concern the GA will not approve McKee's plan?

Meanwhile in Providence, the state is spending some $8M on a new roof for the AMP Pavilion. The state spent more than $100M to purchase and renovate the arena less than 20 years ago. None of the many tens of millions spent by the state on this facility ever went before voters as GA approval was all that was needed.
Thanks to our new president, we are finally getting aligned with the political powers at be in Providence.

Not for nothing the dunk is right down the street from their chambers, it's become a clear window into the state from an entertainment perspective, and the management speaks up to the state house. Honestly, a lot of our lawmakers weren't truly aware of the dire straits our facilities are in.

Our previous leadership in Kingston had their own list of priorities and wanted to pretend everything was great outside of that. They wouldn't ask for anything with athletics because that wasn't their priority. If they couldn't get funding for their own pet projects they didn't want anything else. They had no problem showing up to games though.

There's no mistaking why you are seeing videos like what Thorr and Shane put out now, and why you would have NEVER seen them before our new president got here. One of them knew of the problems, but didn't care if they got fixed or not unless his priorities were met first. The latter is embarrassed at the state of disrepair of our facilities and wants to get the help to improve them.

Marc Parlange should be greeted with as great a reception as possible anytime you're in his presence.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago
RF1 wrote: 11 months ago Are all the recent URI athletic facility reports part of a concerted PR campaign to get approval from the legislature for McKee's budget? Is there concern the GA will not approve McKee's plan?

Meanwhile in Providence, the state is spending some $8M on a new roof for the AMP Pavilion. The state spent more than $100M to purchase and renovate the arena less than 20 years ago. None of the many tens of millions spent by the state on this facility ever went before voters as GA approval was all that was needed.
Thanks to our new president, we are finally getting aligned with the political powers at be in Providence.

Not for nothing the dunk is right down the street from their chambers, it's become a clear window into the state from an entertainment perspective, and the management speaks up to the state house. Honestly, a lot of our lawmakers weren't truly aware of the dire straits our facilities are in.

Our previous leadership in Kingston had their own list of priorities and wanted to pretend everything was great outside of that. They wouldn't ask for anything with athletics because that wasn't their priority. If they couldn't get funding for their own pet projects they didn't want anything else. They had no problem showing up to games though.

There's no mistaking why you are seeing videos like what Thorr and Shane put out now, and why you would have NEVER seen them before our new president got here. One of them knew of the problems, but didn't care if they got fixed or not unless his priorities were met first. The latter is embarrassed at the state of disrepair of our facilities and wants to get the help to improve them.

Marc Parlange should be greeted with as great a reception as possible anytime you're in his presence.

I knew the facilities were bad, but I didn't think they were THAT bad.

If you showed those facilities in neutral colors without Thorr and Shane as the guide, you'd think those were at Fordham, La Salle. etc

Pretty embarrassing.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodysk
ARD

Unread post by Rhodysk »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago It's been going on for some time. Maybe since December or thereabouts??

Anymore detail to this?
Are they using cement to strengthen up the stands?
Are they adding a new ADA ramp to get up to the stands?

I know they mentioned “ fire code “ and not enough of exits.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Rhodysk wrote: 11 months ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago It's been going on for some time. Maybe since December or thereabouts??

Anymore detail to this?
Are they using cement to strengthen up the stands?
Are they adding a new ADA ramp to get up to the stands?

I know they mentioned “ fire code “ and not enough of exits.
They are putting stairwells on each side of the East stands so they don't have to tarp off the top sections
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago

I knew the facilities were bad, but I didn't think they were THAT bad.

If you showed those facilities in neutral colors without Thorr and Shane as the guide, you'd think those were at Fordham, La Salle. etc

Pretty embarrassing.
More like the ACI or Rikers? What amazed me, was the soccer field(I think)where the scorers/press area was a folding Benny’s type table, folding chairs with a leaky tent!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

The University is first and foremost, imho, an educational and research institution and therefore, I will never criticize a President for having priorities that align with that. In fact, I applaud it.

However, for a President to not have an appropriate level of concern or urgency (if that is the case) to address athletic infrastructure issues - somehow/someway - that put student-athletes at a significant disadvantage or, even worse, at risk of injury is not friggin’ acceptable! You move your priorities along AND you figure out a way to get the athletic issues addressed…period! No friggin’ excuses! Do your friggin’ job as the leader of the entire university community!

I’ve been fortunate to have the opportunity to volunteer for The University and advocate for it whenever I was in a position to do so but, I have never been privy to the nature of the relationship between leadership and the athletics department. Hearing about and reading about examples of disrepair and potential dereliction of duty really pisses me off to no end - as does the crappy attitude and lack of respect and pride of the general population (including a percentage of alumni) towards the state’s Flagship University! It is friggin’ bullshit!

I exclude KB members from the above because I believe we are all supporters of The University here in our own ways.

My apologies for the rant at the end. Carry on.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

If URI had Hockey East Men's and Women's hockey programs, athletics would have more State support for Athletics. Northern RI is not a big supporter of URI. Go at it!
3 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago If URI had Hockey East Men's and Women's hockey programs, athletics would have more State support for Athletics. Northern RI is not a big supporter of URI. Go at it!
Not to derail this important topic into a for/against D1 ice hockey, but as long as Thorr is here, I don’t see it happening.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Bottom line you can't just let the facilities rot. At some point stuff needs to be overhauled.

I grew up near and worked in the summers during high school at UConn (mom worked there for 30 years as well so I was around the campus a lot) in the mid/late 80s, during their transformation into the basketball powerhouse they have become. I was there when it was still basically a "cow barn" school. The upgrades and facelift they began while I was working there is what URI needs now, never mind the city that UConn has become today. As we know it all started with their basketball programs winning.

Can it be done at URI?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RI_Bred wrote: 11 months ago Bottom line you can't just let the facilities rot. At some point stuff needs to be overhauled.
Can it be done at URI?
This is why I posted that renovation of a basketball practice facility should have been a URI/State expense and not done with boosters money. Not having a D1 hockey program plays into low State support.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 11 months ago Bottom line you can't just let the facilities rot. At some point stuff needs to be overhauled.
Can it be done at URI?
This is why I posted that renovation of a basketball practice facility should have been a URI/State expense and not done with boosters money. Not having a D1 hockey program plays into low State support.
I would argue that not implementing the D1 hockey program is probably one of the greatest sports travesties ever at URI. Huge mistake.
6 x
Mobley was fouled.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

We’d have to be independent for a season or two, then go atlantic hockey. I dont see HE having room for us as is. We unless they have team movement.

Anyway, point made and I agree, we need hockey.

Ok, back to our sub par facilities and how to make improve them.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Can it be done at URI?
I would argue that not implementing the D1 hockey program is probably one of the greatest sports travesties ever at URI. Huge mistake.
The second a donor ponies up the $3-4M per year a men’s hockey program costs, and the matching title IX required team we would have a hockey program.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

The second a donor ponies up the $3-4M per year a men’s hockey program costs, and the matching title IX required team we would have a hockey program.
If this was a priority for Thorr, it would have happened. The truth is that this would be a threat to football whose cost is doubled for Title IX matching.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Hockey is boring
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago Hockey is boring

Hockey is great
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Only state in New England who’s flagship University doesn’t have D1 hockey. Unfortunately synonymous with the story of Rhode Island. What don’t we have that you do. A lot.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Can it be done at URI?
The crazy part is our hockey facility is superior to what is provided to nearly all our varsity sports. Both programs could immediately move to D1.
5 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

clueless
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Should have warned us all to apply sunscreen before dropping this hot take
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago URI leaders say athletic facilities are in ‘disrepair’

An update on this story:

https://www.wpri.com/sports/college-spo ... ic-fields/
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

D1 Hockey is completely irrelevant

It's behind
Football FBS and FCS
Men's and Women's basketball
Baseball and Softball

It would be cool to have a varsity team, but it's not worth adding if we are strapped for cash.

I also think Baseball is worse than hockey if that makes anyone feel better. :)
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Apparently the Bay Campus and Fine Arts is getting some love.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago D1 Hockey is completely irrelevant

It's behind
Football FBS and FCS
Men's and Women's basketball
Baseball and Softball

It would be cool to have a varsity team, but it's not worth adding if we are strapped for cash.

I also think Baseball is worse than hockey if that makes anyone feel better. :)
For the most part Athletics are more marketing tools than profit centers.

D1 hockey in the northeast is probably 2nd to only Basketball in relevant sports
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Politicians don't mind doling out money for new or massively-renovated facilities. They love ribbon-cuttings because they get to take credit for this shiny new whatever.

Money for maintenance is a whole 'nother story. There's no ribbon-cuttings for brooms, wrenches or buckets of paint.
8 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.