RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Unread post by Obadiah »

theblueram wrote: 10 months ago a degree for in state students costs over $60K.Doesn't include books, room and board. That is a joke.
Not true which a casual check with he URI website would show:

Annual, full-time costs for 2023-2024

Tuition and Fees (Undergraduate, 12-19 credits)
Rhode Island Residents $16,408
Out-of-state / International $35,804
New England Regional* $26,995
Average Room and Meal Plan** $14,130
TOTAL
Rhode Island Residents $30,538
Out-of-state / International $49,934
Regional* $41,125

BTW, what has this got to do with the critical state funding issue.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago
theblueram wrote: 10 months ago a degree for in state students costs over $60K.Doesn't include books, room and board. That is a joke.
Not true which a casual check with he URI website would show:

Annual, full-time costs for 2023-2024

Out-of-state / International $35,804
New England Regional* $26,995
Average Room and Meal Plan** $14,130
TOTAL
Rhode Island Residents $30,538
Out-of-state / International $49,934
Regional* $41,125

BTW, what has this got to do with the critical state funding issue.

...times four years (casual math?)...looks like a little over $65K....? without room and board? (another $56K?)
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

Oops, sorry read that wrong. But again what does that have to do with the subject off this thread???
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago I just got a more definitive report from the URI Foundation on how URI fared in the State's FY24 budget:

The 2023-24 State of Rhode Island budget was passed by the General Assembly and signed by the governor late this week, and I am pleased to report that the University will receive $105.4 million in state funding for operating expenses in fiscal year 2024—an increase of $14.1 million over last year’s state appropriation. URI will also receive $65.8 million in RICAP (Rhode Island Capital Plan) funding for significant maintenance and renovation needs at our athletic venues, which serve our entire student population and many community members and organizations.

While this budget appropriation did not meet our requested $123.3 million allocation, it does represent a significant investment in URI and the impactful work we do as the state's flagship public research university. We are grateful that the state leaders are beginning to address the decades of decline in per-student funding.

Good news though not the big breakthrough needed in either the annual appropriation or the RICAP. Maybe next year.
Good news for the University as a whole, and absolutely tremendous news that the $65.8 million rumor I heard ended up being true! Can't wait for more news on these projects
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago Oops, sorry read that wrong. But again what does that have to do with the subject off this thread???
I guarantee URI tuition goes up next year. With a $14B state budget. The state does not fund URI like it should. The state is responsible for making higher education affordable for all state residents. But refuses to do so.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Just so we are clear.

In June 2010, the General Assembly passed a $7.8 billion state budget for 2010-11

So in a little over 10 years, the state's budget has doubled.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

theblueram wrote: 10 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago Oops, sorry read that wrong. But again what does that have to do with the subject off this thread???
I guarantee URI tuition goes up next year. With a $14B state budget. The state does not fund URI like it should. The state is responsible for making higher education affordable for all state residents. But refuses to do so.
Not entirely true. CCRI is free for RI resident students and they are now making the final two years of RIC free as well. RIC had been especially affected by the free CCRI tuition with its enrollment experiencing a big decline. Will be interesting to see if URI sees some effects from the CCRI and RIC free years.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago
theblueram wrote: 10 months ago
Not entirely true. CCRI is free for RI resident students and they are now making the final two years of RIC free as well. RIC had been especially affected by the free CCRI tuition with its enrollment experiencing a big decline. Will be interesting to see if URI sees some effects from the CCRI and RIC free years.
CCRI tuition before it was free was like a grand. And the free tuition is only for graduating HS seniors. And RIC, a bastion of liberal future teachers, is the state's pet project.
0 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 10 months ago
Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago I just got a more definitive report from the URI Foundation on how URI fared in the State's FY24 budget:

The 2023-24 State of Rhode Island budget was passed by the General Assembly and signed by the governor late this week, and I am pleased to report that the University will receive $105.4 million in state funding for operating expenses in fiscal year 2024—an increase of $14.1 million over last year’s state appropriation. URI will also receive $65.8 million in RICAP (Rhode Island Capital Plan) funding for significant maintenance and renovation needs at our athletic venues, which serve our entire student population and many community members and organizations.

While this budget appropriation did not meet our requested $123.3 million allocation, it does represent a significant investment in URI and the impactful work we do as the state's flagship public research university. We are grateful that the state leaders are beginning to address the decades of decline in per-student funding.

Good news though not the big breakthrough needed in either the annual appropriation or the RICAP. Maybe next year.
Good news for the University as a whole, and absolutely tremendous news that the $65.8 million rumor I heard ended up being true! Can't wait for more news on these projects
The Budget's RICAP Plan includes the following on the URI Athletics complex:

Athletics Complex Renewal
The Governor recommends $54.1 million in FY 2024 - FY 2026 to renovate the Meade Stadium East Grandstands and the Slade Outdoor Track and Field. The financing includes $43.3 million from the RI Capital Plan Fund and $10.8 million from university funds.

So the amount also includes funds for Slade in addition to Meade and it is spread over three years - $18,750,000 for FY24, another $18,750,000 in FY25, and then $16,600,000 in FY26.

I would hope the Athletics Dept, specifically Thor, will soon provide more specifics on the timing and scope for both projects.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

This article from the Providence Business News (PBN) gives some further details on the Meade renovation and timing. Lots more details will come in the future. I just hope the plans call for a better and more appealing press box because the current one with its cheap windows looks like a discard from a dated Matunuck beach cottage. As some point, URI may have to find a place to play football. My guess is Cranston Stadium would do in a pinch. Enjoy the read.

https://pbn.com/uris-sports-fields-gett ... o-be-done/
3 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

I didn’t read the story, but I can’t imagine them playing in cranston.

They would just use the west stands imo.

Edit: I should have read first, Thor did say they’ll have to figure it out….maybe the soccer stadium in pawtucket will be done by ‘25.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

State approves increased investment in URI
June 19, 2023

To Our URI Community,

Last week, Governor Dan McKee signed the fiscal year 2024 state budget legislation into law. The $14 billion budget notably provides URI $105.4 million in state appropriation for the University’s operating budget, an increase of $14.1 million over FY23; $65.8 million for the athletics complex renewal; and $20 million in funding for a new water supply treatment system. Overall, the increase in state appropriations signals a positive, renewed investment by the state in its flagship research university.

The increase in general state appropriations by 16% from last year is significant and is due, in no small measure, to the incredible effort by so many across our campuses this past year: from students, staff, and faculty who presented and participated in URI Day at the State House; to alumni, community and Board of Trustees members who advocated for URI in many different ways; to donors, friends, and affiliates of the University, whose philanthropic generosity powered important programming and initiatives for URI. I am thankful to our elected leaders who have recognized the important work being done at URI and the tremendous benefit the state’s flagship research university brings to life in Rhode Island.

With sustained support from the state and with the launch of our 10-year strategic plan, we are creating positive momentum and are well-positioned to be a driving force for economic growth and positive social, cultural, and environmental change in the state and around the world. We are Rhode Island’s university, and our time is now to invest in programming and initiatives that will generate revenue, build on our strengths in fundraising and philanthropy, develop and support efforts that enhance our research enterprise, and foster opportunities for growth in all areas of the University. We have set ambitious goals and it will require our collective effort to reach them.

As I have said many times since joining this remarkable University, an investment in URI is an investment in Rhode Island. We are building a university for the future—and a university committed to building a better future for our state and world—and I am grateful to be a part of this community.

Kind regards,
Marc
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

CamsRams wrote: 10 months ago State approves increased investment in URI
June 19, 2023

To Our URI Community,

Last week, Governor Dan McKee signed the fiscal year 2024 state budget legislation into law. The $14 billion budget notably provides URI $105.4 million in state appropriation for the University’s operating budget, an increase of $14.1 million over FY23; $65.8 million for the athletics complex renewal; and $20 million in funding for a new water supply treatment system. Overall, the increase in state appropriations signals a positive, renewed investment by the state in its flagship research university.

The increase in general state appropriations by 16% from last year is significant and is due, in no small measure, to the incredible effort by so many across our campuses this past year: from students, staff, and faculty who presented and participated in URI Day at the State House; to alumni, community and Board of Trustees members who advocated for URI in many different ways; to donors, friends, and affiliates of the University, whose philanthropic generosity powered important programming and initiatives for URI. I am thankful to our elected leaders who have recognized the important work being done at URI and the tremendous benefit the state’s flagship research university brings to life in Rhode Island.

With sustained support from the state and with the launch of our 10-year strategic plan, we are creating positive momentum and are well-positioned to be a driving force for economic growth and positive social, cultural, and environmental change in the state and around the world. We are Rhode Island’s university, and our time is now to invest in programming and initiatives that will generate revenue, build on our strengths in fundraising and philanthropy, develop and support efforts that enhance our research enterprise, and foster opportunities for growth in all areas of the University. We have set ambitious goals and it will require our collective effort to reach them.

As I have said many times since joining this remarkable University, an investment in URI is an investment in Rhode Island. We are building a university for the future—and a university committed to building a better future for our state and world—and I am grateful to be a part of this community.

Kind regards,
Marc
So, does this mean no tuition increase (hahahahahaha)
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Duplicate post addressed above 👆
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

rhodyrudder wrote: 10 months ago I didn’t read the story, but I can’t imagine them playing in cranston.

Edit: I should have read first, Thor did say they’ll have to figure it out….maybe the soccer stadium in pawtucket will be done by ‘25.
Why diss Cranston Stadium. Let's assume that in the renovation of Meade Stadium, URI has to find a temporary home field for the 2024 season. Where could they play? Brown Stadium? Bryant Stadium? Both those venues have drawbacks. Brown is in a congested neighborhood, challenging to get to. Bryant field is hobbled by distance and is isolated. Once you get beyond those two fields, the pickings get slim, very slim. Cranston Stadium is good size, has some nice parking and is close to amenities like bars and restaurants that fans may frequent. Plus it is only 30 minutes from Kingston and the free buses carrying students to games would have easy access.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Pierce Field , EP? Way north of the Towers……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Falcon
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Falcon »

What is the capacity at Narragansett High , pretty nice facility with plenty of parking ?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Cranston Stadium is great.
major drawback is no locker rooms? Unless something has changed.
I can't see playing a D1 FCS game there with no locker rooms.
The HS teams look like a beer league softball team dressing on sidelines. Bush.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Cranston Stadium is great.
What do you see happening Brian Forster?
Do you think we keep Meade and improve it increasing capacity?
Or do we build a new stadium and use Meade for Soccer, Lacrosse, etc? Keep the team playing at Meade during new construction? What's the word on the street?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-only facility that came up different so far is Salve?
Not bad? What about USCGA? both locker rooms would probably handle the #s?
Brown would be fine, not inconceivable they would agree to it.
Plenty of hotels,no more difficult to get there than EP?
Rams sometimes stay fairly local in hotels night before.
Bryant is a dump. Never heard from one Ram fan who liked it last year. God no.
Perish that thought.
Some of the HS fields are pretty nice,just with no lockers can't see it.
Shame the soccer complex in Pawtucket is not done. would be ideal perhaps.
Does anybody know what they need the extra $20m for in fund raising $$?
Will do some more digging.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This reminds me of back in 2001 when Stowers was coach, I gave my older brother, an alumnus, my press pass during the New Hampshire game, I think it was, and he went to the press conference after the game and asked Ron Petro point blank in front of all the local media guys from the Projo, Narragansett Times, 5 Cent Cigar, you name it, if he was going to hold a potential playoff game at either Cranston Stadium or Pierce Field, because there was no way he could hold it at Meade.

They were all like "ooooooooh" in the crowd. Needless to say, I never got a press pass again, but it was worth it. lol.

Petro: "We'll cross that bridge if we get to it"

lol
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Obadiah wrote: 10 months ago
rhodyrudder wrote: 10 months ago I didn’t read the story, but I can’t imagine them playing in cranston.

Why diss Cranston Stadium. Let's assume that in the renovation of Meade Stadium, URI has to find a temporary home field for the 2024 season. Where could they play? Brown Stadium? Bryant Stadium? Both those venues have drawbacks. Brown is in a congested neighborhood, challenging to get to. Bryant field is hobbled by distance and is isolated. Once you get beyond those two fields, the pickings get slim, very slim. Cranston Stadium is good size, has some nice parking and is close to amenities like bars and restaurants that fans may frequent. Plus it is only 30 minutes from Kingston and the free buses carrying students to games would have easy access.
So...actually in a better spot than Meade
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

To be honest, I remember playing against SK on Thanksgiving while the Ryan Center was being built. The old visitor stands and box were gone and construction was abutting the sideline.

Obviously not ideal, but why not temporary stands in the end zones and a reduced capacity for some of the time while they finish?
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Brian Forster
ARD

Blue Man is probably right.
Try and down size temporarily. best to stay at meade if at all possible.
Got to see what the new facility entails.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

ramster wrote: 10 months ago
Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Cranston Stadium is great.
What do you see happening Brian Forster?
Do you think we keep Meade and improve it increasing capacity?
Or do we build a new stadium and use Meade for Soccer, Lacrosse, etc? Keep the team playing at Meade during new construction? What's the word on the street?
I don't think you'll see our Rams FC on turf. not at home anyway. while our soccer facility needs some help, the actual playing surface is immaculate.
0 x
:lol:
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Yeah, they keep that soccer field lush. Just what you would expect from a school with URI's background.
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Found this thread interesting as a fellow A10 member and hopes that you continue to enjoy football as beat us in our home at McGuirk. It would be nice to be playing us regularly as the A10 with Football. See many like hockey and at UMass there is talk of the women's program as well. Think the comments of investing in the current sports up to par is a good one. Thorr Bjorn commit about having people in Kingston for the football games is great. Only give you guys a 10% odds of going FBS for many reasons. But will say UMass has underfunded the program and we are losing less money as FBS. The bottom of FBS expectation is that it will lose the same amount as FCS football. It has a much higher ceiling. Wish you guys better success that I have trying to sell the administration that in our 7th year of independence, we should stop looking for long shot home for the football program and help make the MAC better. They are a multi-bid conference in both womens and mens NIT tournament and we travel well to MSG for the NIT Final 4. Anyhow, there is a LOT of money with the College Football Playoffs, but to get a better share need to be in a conference. Don't like playing multiple body bag games against the SEC and others to make up for the lack of conference dollars.

Good luck with Meade and the athletic department and hope both programs will be better in basketball. Was extremely disappoint that only 1.7k fans attendant the game at Mullins on a Wednesday night. It's not the league that drives attendance, it's winning. So please keep investing in your programs and good luck.

In this ESPN story about Huggins replacement, found it interesting 4 MAC coaches are mentioned and not a single A10 coach, except former A10 member Xaviers past coach, Chris Mack.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ended-next

"More realistically, Baker could take a look at Charleston's Pat Kelsey, Ohio's Jeff Boals, Kent State's Rob Senderoff, Akron's John Groce, Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk,.."
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Steve81 wrote: 10 months ago Found this thread interesting as a fellow A10 member and hopes that you continue to enjoy football as beat us in our home at McGuirk. It would be nice to be playing us regularly as the A10 with Football. See many like hockey and at UMass there is talk of the women's program as well. Think the comments of investing in the current sports up to par is a good one. Thorr Bjorn commit about having people in Kingston for the football games is great. Only give you guys a 10% odds of going FBS for many reasons. But will say UMass has underfunded the program and we are losing less money as FBS. The bottom of FBS expectation is that it will lose the same amount as FCS football. It has a much higher ceiling. Wish you guys better success that I have trying to sell the administration that in our 7th year of independence, we should stop looking for long shot home for the football program and help make the MAC better. They are a multi-bid conference in both womens and mens NIT tournament and we travel well to MSG for the NIT Final 4. Anyhow, there is a LOT of money with the College Football Playoffs, but to get a better share need to be in a conference. Don't like playing multiple body bag games against the SEC and others to make up for the lack of conference dollars.

Good luck with Meade and the athletic department and hope both programs will be better in basketball. Was extremely disappoint that only 1.7k fans attendant the game at Mullins on a Wednesday night. It's not the league that drives attendance, it's winning. So please keep investing in your programs and good luck.

In this ESPN story about Huggins replacement, found it interesting 4 MAC coaches are mentioned and not a single A10 coach, except former A10 member Xaviers past coach, Chris Mack.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ended-next

"More realistically, Baker could take a look at Charleston's Pat Kelsey, Ohio's Jeff Boals, Kent State's Rob Senderoff, Akron's John Groce, Toledo's Tod Kowalczyk,.."
I appreciate the perspective, Steve81.

It is certainly interesting following the realignment news and rumors. Though I am aware the moves and potential moves are football driven, my concern is what happens on the basketball side of things and Rhody being able to legitimately compete for automatic and at-large NCAAT bids.

Regarding the A10, I am losing confidence that the conference can provide that platform going forward unless it can remake/re-brand itself somehow or unless several programs decide to band together and leave to form a new conference or merge with another using the A10 name - if that name can remain viable or has any cache’ left.

Are there options out there for Rhody and UMass that involve all sports - one that elevates football and basketball ? I don’t think so but neither have I given that much thought at all. But, if I was Thorr, all realistic options would be on the table just in case the A10 continues to fade away from being a relevant basketball conference.

Hope you come back to comment as realignment progresses.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 10 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

If FBS is even remotely possible we need seating capacity of at least 15,000. So I guess we will know based on the size of the new stands.

In order to retain FBS membership, schools must meet several requirements. FBS schools must have an average home attendance of at least 15,000 (over a rolling two-year period).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Di ... r%20period).
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Right, 15,000 is the bare minimum for FBS. But depending on the conference you're in you're probably going to want even bigger than that to be competitive. For instance, in the football area joining the MAC with UMass in all sports was brought up. If we joined the MAC we'd need a stadium of about 20-25,000 to be competitive
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

There are a couple of opportunities presenting themselves to URI right now that can shape the next chapter of Rhody athletics…NIL and the money for new stands…will they seize the moment or let it pass? Meaning will they be happy just to make us competitive with our “peer” institutions or will they aim higher?
1 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 10 months ago
I appreciate the perspective, Steve81.

It is certainly interesting following the realignment news and rumors. Though I am aware the moves and potential move are football driven, my concern is what happens on the basketball side of things and Rhody being able to legitimately compete for automatic and at-large NCAAT bids.

Regarding the A10, I am losing confidence that the conference can provide that platform going forward unless it can remake/re-brand itself somehow or unless several programs decide to band together and leave to form a new conference or merge with another using the A10 name - if that name can remain viable or has any cache’ left.

Are there an options out there for Rhody and UMass that involve all sports - one that elevates football and basketball ? I don’t think so but neither have I given that much thought at all. But, if I was Thorr, all realistic options would be on the table just in case the A10 continues to fade away from being a relevant basketball conference.

Hope you come back to comment as realignment progresses.
Here is an interesting post by BeatWestern, a MAC poster. Link from Fight Massachusetts Board on 247sports.com
I'm quite sure the MAC still has a strong desire to expand to 14 members as a condition of increasing its ESPN media rights deal set to expire in 2026-27. Of course, it will have to be with the right pair of schools that add value.

You can be sure a GOR will be attached to any renewed/increased ESPN deal, as was the case with the WKU/MTSU adds set to take place for 2023 before MTSU backed out at the last minute.

Delaware is one school to keep an eye on. They have a plan in place to upgrade their facilities and a strong desire to move up to FBS. If UMass were committed to join the MAC for all sports, that could be a pair the MAC Presidents would be very receptive to adding.

Western Kentucky could still be an option for the MAC, too. UMass could potentially pair with WKU, but again, UMass would have to commit to the MAC for all sports.

And what's Army West Point going to do? I would be very surprised with the expanded CFP now if West Point doesn't finally seek conference affiliation. That could potentially be as a replacement for SMU in the AAC, but maybe that's not an option with Navy already a member. Would the MAC be interested in West Point? I dare say yes! Then, perhaps UMass could pair with Army as affiliates in the MAC.

Let's see how these conference realignment dominoes fall in the next 30-90 days. Only time will tell.
Jdrums#3, my opinion is three things need to happen by the end of the year.
Discuss with UMass
Discuss with the MAC
Both UMass and URI need good seasons.

Thorr Bjorn would be best to gauge or influence UMass interest through informal discussions
Be very prudent for AD Thorr Bjorn to call discuss with Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of the MAC. I have emailed Jon Steinbrecher and responded to me the next day, so think he is open minded. That said some people are saying the new COO of the MAC maybe the next commissioner. Here is the Hire, an ESPN guy, who worked with the SEC conference.
MAC Deputy Commissioner and COO
Prior to his time at the USOPC, Turner spent 25 years at ESPN where he most recently held the position of Vice President overseeing all aspects of SEC Network business and delivering hundreds of millions in annual revenue over the network’s first 6 ½ years.

During his tenure at ESPN, Turner was also instrumental in co-leading a division that created ESPN owned and operated football bowl games and multi-team basketball events.
Also the MAC board is not as busy as most FBS conference boards and was down last year, except did very well during bowl season.
You should visit the board and this is a related thread and you can always back up to the main board.
MAC board newer conference realignment thread
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Dreams by some of URI operating FBS football and men's and women's D1 hockey programs is a good illustration of how many people are completely detached from the financial realities in Kingston.
5 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago Dreams by some of URI operating FBS football and men's and women's D1 hockey programs is a good illustration of how many people are completely detached from the financial realities in Kingston.
Remember RF1, UMass losses less money at the FBS level than FCS, so financially it would be better for Kingston.
A10 5M primary media for 15 teams is 333k and about 6M in NCAA credits at 25% share is 400k so let's round up to 750k, plus 400k for football body bag game.
URI 1.15M

MAC and will use 12 members but things as APR is per school and the amounts are out dated and the expanded College Play-offs should kick the numbers up.
10M primary media contract
10M base G5 conference 1M per team up to 10 teams
4M G5 performance pool as average between 3rd and 4th place
3.6M APR money 300k per team
3M NCAA credits
---------------------------------
26.6 / 12 is 2.21M per team plus 1.5M football body bag game

MAC 3.7M

Then say 1M in additional scholarships and 1M for addition travel and coaching staff

Net URI 1.7M

Financially FBS is the better choice.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago Dreams by some of URI operating FBS football and men's and women's D1 hockey programs is a good illustration of how many people are completely detached from the financial realities in Kingston.
I think for the most part FBS football is a pipe dream, but we do have to worry about the possibility of bigger D1 breaking away from smaller D1, and we do need to be ready to jump on a rescue raft if that happens
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed RF1, we are in a challenging financial position so, I have never considered FBS football an option. I have no idea what Thorr, Pres Parlange and the Board of Trustees are thinking beyond just getting us to equal footing with our football peers.

Thorr is an intelligent guy and I am confident that he is watching developments closely to position us in the best possible landing spot for basketball and football.

I would welcome a jump up to FBS football but, like you, I don’t know how we do that financially and then sustain it short of some unexpected financial windfalls.

ETA: Steve81’s financial breakdown above looks promising at first glance. I am confident that Thorr has or will be doing a deep dive on the financial realities of multiple options and is advising the university appropriately on which direction makes the most sense for us into the future - including possible implications if the P2-3 totally split off in football or in football and basketball.

Good discussion.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Will South County walk up ticket sales fill a 13000 seat stadium? Guess we’ll find out. FB Rams will have to be winning at a high level.

The upgrade to be done but don’t kid yourselves it’s far from a slam dunk.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Brian Forster
ARD

Will South County walk up ticket sales fill a 13000 seat stadium?
Nobody goes to the games now and there is not a lot of interest in FB.
Can't see what the concern would be regarding future attendance.
Despite the lack of support for FB, the gridders have been giving all the sports $$ including basketball since the Hurley years.
Unless mens hoops goes on a many year,unprecedented run that is not likely to change. Upgrading FB might be the only way to continue to support the entire athletic dept.. Its really no different than the current situation except to Steve 81's point,more $$ possibly.
didn't say i agree with it.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Will South County walk up ticket sales fill a 13000 seat stadium?
Nobody goes to the games now and there is not a lot of interest in FB.
Can't see what the concern would be regarding future attendance.
Despite the lack of support for FB, the gridders have been giving all the sports $$ including basketball since the Hurley years.
Unless mens hoops goes on a many year,unprecedented run that is not likely to change. Upgrading FB might be the only way to continue to support the entire athletic dept.. Its really no different than the current situation except to Steve 81's point,more $$ possibly.
didn't say i agree with it.
You seriously can't possibly be this dumb, right? You don't honestly believe a program that loses hundreds of thousands of dollars a year gives money to other programs, especially men's basketball, right?
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Ask Thorr.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Harvard-ask Thorr.
it's no secret.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Harvard- i will bet you a $250 donation to sport of choice it's true-you down?
one nickel of FB $$ .
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Harvard- i will bet you a $250 donation to sport of choice it's true-you down?
one nickel of FB $$ .
If you can provide evidence by the end of this month that since the start of the Dan Hurley era that football has given money to men's basketball I will donate $250 to either football or the Meade Stadium restoration. This must be credible evidence, not I heard so and so say this. This needs to be a statement from Thorr, an article from a reputable source, or a University balance sheet. If you can't provide said by the end of this month I'm sure the men's club hockey team will be appreciative of your donation
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Naah Harvard-since you are the one making the totally baseless claim,am not going to do your work for you.
However,since you actually accepted the bet,I will honor my end of $250 and lower yours to $50.
Easy $$ (for me). I will give you a head start-the $$ for the FB buy games goes to the Athletic Dept. and then is divided amongst all the teams. The $$ is significant.
FB does not keep the take,just gets a share like everyone else. College Sports are not a meritocracy, but socialism at its finest.
If you were actually involved with programs,you would know this. I am not the only one on the board to comment on the FB buy games $$ going to all the teams.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

I think for the most part FBS football is a pipe dream, but we do have to worry about the possibility of bigger D1 breaking away from smaller D1, and we do need to be ready to jump on a rescue raft if that happens
Sooner or later, and despite obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt's efforts, the Cartel will leave the NCAA entirely. When that happens, basketball will be severely impacted because of the loss of TV time slots. The Cartel will simply demand that any network that wants Cartel football will have to take all the Cartel basketball, crowding out everyone else.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 10 months ago
Sooner or later, and despite obvious nepotism hire Dan Gavitt's efforts, the Cartel will leave the NCAA entirely. When that happens, basketball will be severely impacted because of the loss of TV time slots. The Cartel will simply demand that any network that wants Cartel football will have to take all the Cartel basketball, crowding out everyone else.
No guarantee of that. They’d risk losing tax exempt status.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Naah Harvard-since you are the one making the totally baseless claim,am not going to do your work for you.
However,since you actually accepted the bet,I will honor my end of $250 and lower yours to $50.
Easy $$ (for me). I will give you a head start-the $$ for the FB buy games goes to the Athletic Dept. and then is divided amongst all the teams. The $$ is significant.
FB does not keep the take,just gets a share like everyone else. College Sports are not a meritocracy, but socialism at its finest.
If you were actually involved with programs,you would know this. I am not the only one on the board to comment on the FB buy games $$ going to all the teams.
Hypothetical...I know the numbers are probably way off, but for simplicity...

If the football team expenses are $2M per year, and they get $500K for a buy game, and that $500K is spread across athletics....is that really "funding other programs"? If we didn't have football, the "socialism at its finest" athletic department would be $1.5M ahead, wouldn't they? I guess maybe some of that $500K gets to other programs...but seems the school still loses $1.5M by having football?

To say that football helps fund the other programs seems like maybe a "figures lie and liars figure" exercise (I know these, I've carved out a pretty good career at it ;) )... If football stopped tomorrow, do you think the athletic department would be scrambling to try to 'make up for the lost income" from the football team?

ETA...Obviously...if the dollars from the buy game cover the team's expenses for the year, and there is surplus...I'm wrong. But, kinda doubt it. "Giving" 10K to basketball of the $500K, while still "needing $1.5M", is not "funding other programs."
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 10 months ago
Brian Forster wrote: 10 months ago Naah Harvard-since you are the one making the totally baseless claim,am not going to do your work for you.
Hypothetical...I know the numbers are probably way off, but for simplicity...

If the football team expenses are $2M per year, and they get $500K for a buy game, and that $500K is spread across athletics....is that really "funding other programs"? If we didn't have football, the "socialism at its finest" athletic department would be $1.5M ahead, wouldn't they? I guess maybe some of that $500K gets to other programs...but seems the school still loses $1.5M by having football?

To say that football helps fund the other programs seems like maybe a "figures lie and liars figure" exercise (I know these, I've carved out a pretty good career at it ;) )... If football stopped tomorrow, do you think the athletic department would be scrambling to try to 'make up for the lost income" from the football team?

ETA...Obviously...if the dollars from the buy game cover the team's expenses for the year, and there is surplus...I'm wrong. But, kinda doubt it. "Giving" 10K to basketball of the $500K, while still "needing $1.5M", is not "funding other programs."
Be careful with facts like this, they might start calling you Yale
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Does the $ we give specifically to fb or mbb in donations or ticket sales also get equally divided amongst all teams?

Mbb is the only one with chartered flights to my knowledge. But that, obviously, is quite limited.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Hypothetical...I know the numbers are probably way off
NYG-you are absolutely right. Strictly hypothetical and your #s are waaay off. "Giving and funding" are both semantics for the conveyance. Neither is correct. I have anybody say "funding" it should not be taken literally.
Neither is 100 % correct . Rhowdy is correct. There is no surplus for the underfunded football program. They have 54 schollies (?) with a max of 63.
Fleming has to go to the boosters for recruiting $$ and other basic expenses. strange for a team running a surplus.
When hoops goes to the NCAA's what $ figure goes to the other sports? Or does it go 100 % to the program to offset salaries & charter flights?
Don't see a problem with hoops keeping it all. Since 2013 the $$ for buy games appears to be well over $1M. The football team generates the revenue via the buy game,it goes into a pot and then divided up amongst all the teams. FB has to scramble from there to try and make ends meet.
0 x