RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Brian Forster
ARD

Re: RI State Funding and URI Facilities

Unread post by Brian Forster »

Does the $ we give specifically to fb or mbb in donations or ticket sales also get equally divided amongst all teams?
The school wants you to donate to the Athletic dept. general fund and they select where it goes.
Other than that you have to ear mark it. Not sure on ticket sales.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was going to say. Those hypothetical numbers look way off.

I remember back in 2001 when I actually knew guys from the football booster club, they used to say that the one buy game pays for the entire program.

22 Years later... it wouldn't surprise me to learn that there is surplus that gets distributed to the entire athletics dept.

or, more likely, it already get's distributed to the entire athletics dept, but the number is more than it costs for the football program. I think there is a bit of a shell game going on here, because, it's 1. a University 2. in Rhode Island, but the bottom line is, if you get rid of the football program, you also get rid of that money, and the ending result is, what's left of the entire athletics dept has less money than they would have if they still had the arrangement that football produces.

In other words, getting rid of football doesn't make any sense, no matter what way you look at it. The thing to do is to try to run a successful football program that attracts people, and hence attracts more money.

And recently, that's what they have been doing.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

yeah, you have to ear mark it. But even that doesn't really succeed in what you are trying to accomplish, because if you ear mark $500 to football, the money that other people donate that can go anywhere will just get distributed so that it is still evenly distributed across the board. You just get the satisfaction of knowing that your money went to the cause you wanted it to. It's not much, but it's something. Someone, somewhere is keeping track that you love X, Y, or Z, in this case football. It might just help them to market football specific fundraisers to you personally.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

JCru-Amen for the most part. FB is not remotely close to being fully funded,how is it running a surplus?
The $$ from the buy games comes out of the the players hide, not the gravy. This helps take the pressure off the other programs for finding creative ways to get $$.

just get distributed so that it is still evenly distributed across the board?
Loaded question-have any fund raisers for successful programs at URI had to be stopped due to lack of participation?

No secret-do not underestimate the lack of $$ support for the other programs for donors.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I know what you mean by, comes out of their hide.

But, still, that Pitt game last year was awesome. They gave that team a real game on their home turf.
0 x
Steve81
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Steve81 »

The worst case senario is generally you'd loss the same amount as FCS. They can do funny things with numbers but...

Actually this is a more interesting site:
ope.de.gov/athletics

You'd be interest to see the MAC financials as three universities, surprisingly make a profit.
Important note the article was last update Nov 2020 so it was for the 2019 season. There are newer links on the CNSbbs.com board for MAC conference talk.

MAC Financials for football

Only a few schools are showing a profit from football in the Mid-American:

Football Profit
Eastern Michigan Univ $1,039,351.00
Bowling Green $102,309.00
Ohio Univ $82,414.00
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... my72ksctql

EMU has done pretty well since this joke.
Haha
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

hrstrat57 wrote: 11 months ago
RI_Bred wrote: 11 months ago
Rhody72 wrote: 11 months ago
This is why I posted that renovation of a basketball practice facility should have been a URI/State expense and not done with boosters money. Not having a D1 hockey program plays into low State support.
I would argue that not implementing the D1 hockey program is probably one of the greatest sports travesties ever at URI. Huge mistake.
The crazy part is our hockey facility is superior to what is provided to nearly all our varsity sports. Both programs could immediately move to D1.
This hasn’t aged well
1 x
:lol:
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

“Put the money towards education or lowering tuition!” These people have no idea how much money has been invested into URI academics over the past 10-12 years.
2 x
GO RAMS
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Never read the comments section on the internet. That's the first rule of the internet and you broke it
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Never read the comments section on the internet. That's the first rule of the internet and you broke it
Very wise words posted on a website that is basically a massive comment section haha
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 5 months ago Never read the comments section on the internet. That's the first rule of the internet and you broke it
Did you mean “never read the comments from Rhody72…”
3 x
Go Rhody
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I see clowns on Facebook saying URI shouldn’t have a football team, etc. Are there any figures for how much taxpayers are on the hook for the Civic Center? Aside from Pee Cee and the PBruins playing there- that place isn’t generating relevant artists there since there are way better concert venues these days than there were in the 90s and before.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

5 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

I am not a fan of McKee but it’s nice to see a Governor care an iota about URI again.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Capital budget is out explaining the breakdown for how the funding will be done:

FY 24 (7/1/23 to 6/30/24) - $5.425 million in state funding
FY 25 (7/1/24 to 6/30/25) - $8.883 million in state funding
FY 26 (7/1/25 to 6/30/26) - $52.532 million in state funding, $1.255 million in private funding
FY 27 (7/1/26 to 6/30/27) - $16.005 million in private funding

"The Governor recommends $83.1 million in FY 2024 - FY 2027 to renovate six athletic facilities, including the Meade Stadium East Grandstands, Track and Field, Soccer Field, Beck Baseball Field, Softball Field, and the Tootell Aquatics Center. This project will also look at the potential opportunities
to construct a new boat house for the rowing teams. The financing includes $65.8 million from the RI Capital Plan Fund and $17.3 million in university funds."

https://omb.ri.gov/sites/g/files/xkgbur ... dget_0.pdf
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines