20’ FL F David Green (LA Tech —> Rhode Island)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 20’ FL F David Green (LA Tech —> Rhode Island)

Unread post by jcru »

Breakdown:

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago Dalger picked SLU because they've been winning lately.

We won't lose those battles after we start winning.

Green is still a nice piece that we can win with. Good athlete, nice skillset and has potential to show more than he has thus far in his career.

We've had a strong transfer haul considering.
Kenny Johnson is supposed to be one of the top recruiters in the country. We should be winning battles against peer teams and occasionally win one that we shouldn't win against teams in a better conference.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago Dalger picked SLU because they've been winning lately.

Green is still a nice piece that we can win with. Good athlete, nice skillset and has potential to show more than he has thus far in his career.

Kenny Johnson is supposed to be one of the top recruiters in the country. We should be winning battles against peer teams and occasionally win one that we shouldn't win against teams in a better conference.
And that's not to put any blame on Kenny, because obviously he's been working his butt off. He has brought in nearly every recruit we got this cycle. Not sure what transfers Duane and Austin were involved in, but very little results there.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

This guy seems like a Malik Martin replacement with a few extra inches of height. He is active on the boards and plays defense. If you leave him open he can hit an occasional three. I was hoping for Buru and a couple of other forwards we missed out on. Green seems like a reasonable addition to the team.
1 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

A little more info according to my source. Dalger was never in play. Don’t believe everything others have tweeted.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's great and all. But I once had a source at URI, about 20 years ago, and my experience with "sources" is that they not only provide information, they also try to control the narrative. I say, trust your eyeballs.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

For instance, 4 recruiting sites, well respected sites, all said Rhode Island was one of the three finalists for Dalger.

"Source" steps in, after the fact, to tell you that wasn't the case. Sources get irked when things get messy.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

sbrand wrote: 11 months ago A little more info according to my source. Dalger was never in play. Don’t believe everything others have tweeted.
I don't think he and Kenny followed each other simultaneously because they wanted to be buddies.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

And that's not to put any blame on Kenny, because obviously he's been working his butt off. He has brought in nearly every recruit we got this cycle. Not sure what transfers Duane and Austin were involved in, but very little results there.
Hard to do when you're at rock bottom and your peers are competing for NCAA bids.

Would SLU have the same chance as us if we were in their shoes and they ours? Not so sure they do because they don't have a Kenny.

But if we are in SLU's shoes no way we lose out on a grad transfer of his caliber, so I don't think there's a real issue here.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago

Hard to do when you're at rock bottom and your peers are competing for NCAA bids.

Would SLU have the same chance as us if we were in their shoes and they ours? Not so sure they do because they don't have a Kenny.

But if we are in SLU's shoes no way we lose out on a grad transfer of his caliber, so I don't think there's a real issue here.
But that's my point. We do have a Kenny.
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Eh - the best recruiter in the world would have trouble getting a 5th year senior to come here for their last season of college ball. Those guys want a shot at the tourney.

I think we did a good job filling up the roster with guys who have played D1 ball and had some success. Much higher floor for next season.
2 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote: 11 months ago Breakdown:

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
Giving Green a C- is not really fair. He is recruited to be somewhere between the 8-13th guy on the roster, played D1 basketball and showed he can play. Coming off an injury too. He is at least a C and probably a B if you Cindy the role he is recruited for.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

rhodylaw wrote: 11 months ago

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
Giving Green a C- is not really fair. He is recruited to be somewhere between the 8-13th guy on the roster, played D1 basketball and showed he can play. Coming off an injury too. He is at least a C and probably a B if you Cindy the role he is recruited for.
Cindy the role baby!
1 x
Joe95
ARD

Unread post by Joe95 »

sbrand wrote: 11 months ago A little more info according to my source. Dalger was never in play. Don’t believe everything others have tweeted.
I don't think he and Kenny followed each other simultaneously because they wanted to be buddies.
Dalger was in play because there was interest on both sides, but he never visited here.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
So somebody is going to transfer here to become the 8-13th player on the roster. :roll: Meaning anywhere from 3rd guy off the bench to playing just before the walk-ons.....ok. :roll:
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I don’t see how you can assign a grade before the season starts.
1 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
I agree with most of this, but I don't know how you can put Green and Kortright as the same grade..Kortright was one of the best players on a talented Quinnipiac team. He's going to make a bigger impact than Green.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Last years transfers were crap overall.

This years are better imo.

Looks like baby steps to me.

Of course we wont know for sure until we see them play.

I think some will turn out to be pretty good, others not so much.

Gradual improvement is what we will have to deal with I guess.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Eh - the best recruiter in the world would have trouble getting a 5th year senior to come here for their last season of college ball. Those guys want a shot at the tourney.

I think we did a good job filling up the roster with guys who have played D1 ball and had some success. Much higher floor for next season.
Good discussion. I lean towards the thinking that - in Dalgers case - we are not perceived to be as good as SLU next year and with him having only one year left, that played a role in his choice.

However, 78 makes a good point that with KJ here as our lead recruiter, we should be able to punch above our weight (credit to the phrase to Bar or the blue ram - not sure which) to win at least one battle we didn’t expect to win.

I am not sure what the reasons are for this being the case - is it current perception of the program from outside ? Is it NIL related ? Are we being outsmarted or out-worked ? I don’t know at this point.

But, if we go another cycle of not punching above our weight, I will be concerned. I am not there yet and how the new crop of players turn out - either good or not good - will have an impact on my level of concern.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
So somebody is going to transfer here to become the 8-13th player on the roster. :roll: Meaning anywhere from 3rd guy off the bench to playing just before the walk-ons.....ok. :roll:
When you bring in 6 transfers - it is 100% the case that some of those guys will be between 8-13. Sure Green has a chance to move up in the order but coming in I don't see him above Montgomery who was starting at Bradley last year so he probably will be a bench player to start putting him at least somewhere between player 6 - 13 on the roster.

I think he is a great get for this team and I think we will be much better 1-10 this year. A lot less massive question marks because these transfers actually played D1 basketball.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
Brown B+
House A-
Montgomery A-
Kortright B-
Wright B
Green C+

Brown fills an immediate need with rebounding and size, but lacks scoring. B+

House is a good athlete, scorer, upside, has done very well against P5 schools. A-

Montgomery has P5 upside with the best shooting on the team, the only thing keeping him from an A would be the fact that he wasn't a double figure scorer.

Kortright is better than a C. Veteran. Good athleticism, very good passer. Will be able to manage the offense succifeintly without forcing the issue. B-

Always gets a B because name and even though it was against Juco's his stats and tape look great for a true freshman. If he had more hype it would be an A- at least.

I give green a C+ because he's not necessarily a bad player. I think you give C- to a dude that would hurt the team. He can come in and at least give what Malik gave with him being more athletic and with a better team around him we won't rely on Green to be our offense. Knock down threes when open, play hard, play good defense.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
RamStock wrote: 11 months ago I think someone thought Archie Miller deserved a B+ or A- with the off-season moves. I think it is more of a C-. I hope I’m wrong, but guys like Green who have done very little over 3 years of playing just don’t cut it. We lost out on the top targets we went after. Will we be better than last year-yes. How can we be worse. I guess we will see as you never know in college basketball, but definitely not exciting.
Well, with this move, I downgraded it to a B-.

A- would have been Dalger. Clearly Green was not the first choice here, hence the dramatics of the last 72 hours.

Some might try to argue that Montgomery was actually the first choice, and not Pride. It kind of suspends logic, but I guess I could take their word for it. But not this time. Clearly, they paused to see if Dalger was interested,
Well Montgomery is still a very good backup to end up with when we didn’t get Pride but Green compared to Buru/Dalger is very different
1 x
spar
Kenny Green

Unread post by spar »

I'm still in the camp that we will be pleasantly surprised by a few of these guys we got. It's a puzzle and our staff is putting it together the best they can right now. Archie has yet to give me a reason to doubt him. If we are barely improved over last year then I'll get concerned, but I just don't see that happening. And if it does, and I have to "eat crow", I could give a sh*t. It's a lot less stressful to try and be optimistic until there's a legitimate reason(s) not to be, and at this point I do not see any legitimate reasons outside of a whole lot of speculation on what this puzzle is going to look like on the floor next year.

I think the majority of us tend to read way too into rankings, who was being recruited by who, etc. The top dogs will always get their pick of the litter. But that's not to say there isn't still a lot of talent outside of those guys. And there are many different factors that are driving each school's decision on who they're targeting. We obviously aren't going to be able to bring in any top rated recruits with the state of the program at the moment, but none of us here know any better than the actual coaches do on whether bringing in a guy who avg 15 and 8 and is being recruited by bigger name schools is going to fit our need better than a guy who avg 12 and 6 and is not being targeted by as many big name schools. Maybe the 12 and 6 guy didn't mesh well with some of his teammates, the system he was in, etc. Maybe the 15 and 8 guy is a locker room cancer. Who the hell knows. And maybe that 12 and 6 guy turns into a 15 and 8 guy with our team and our system. There's just too many unknowns to make so many assumptions. I get that's what this board is for, and I enjoy it most of the time, but other times it's comical to see some of the takes with 90%+ of us not knowing a damn thing about any of these unknowns, and certainly not knowing nearly as much as our coaching staff whose only job is to live and breathe this sh*t. Let's pump the brakes a bit and try to enjoy the process, however it unfolds.
7 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
Brown B+
House A-
Montgomery A-
Kortright B-
Wright B
Green C+

Brown fills an immediate need with rebounding and size, but lacks scoring. B+

House is a good athlete, scorer, upside, has done very well against P5 schools. A-

Montgomery has P5 upside with the best shooting on the team, the only thing keeping him from an A would be the fact that he wasn't a double figure scorer.

Kortright is better than a C. Veteran. Good athleticism, very good passer. Will be able to manage the offense succifeintly without forcing the issue. B-

Always gets a B because name and even though it was against Juco's his stats and tape look great for a true freshman. If he had more hype it would be an A- at least.

I give green a C+ because he's not necessarily a bad player. I think you give C- to a dude that would hurt the team. He can come in and at least give what Malik gave with him being more athletic and with a better team around him we won't rely on Green to be our offense. Knock down threes when open, play hard, play good defense.
Great post.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

While my fiance shopped for things I sped through this game where Green had a nice showing.

https://www.youtube.com/live/8G01CQzC2p8?feature=share

Texas Southern isn't the worst team in the world they beat Florida right after this game.

Still gives ya a better idea of what kind of player he is.

Doesn't look like he'll get blocked at the rim and has the potential to have some hot shooting nights.

Then you project that this would be two years before he suits up in keaney blue. Who knows how much he develops by November.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yea I’m not gonna doubt this kid yet. I am guilty of overreacting to the unproven talent last season, but these guys have actual experience and that is beneficial. I’m cautiously optimistic about this class.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago While my fiance shopped for things I sped through this game where Green had a nice showing.

Texas Southern isn't the worst team in the world they beat Florida right after this game.

Doesn't look like he'll get blocked at the rim and has the potential to have some hot shooting nights.

Then you project that this would be two years before he suits up in keaney blue. Who knows how much he develops by November.
PRT, big props from me for being able to pull that off while shopping with the fiancé. Well done!
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Honestly SLUs situation is more embarrassing than ours. They had a shot to make the tourney the last two years with experienced rosters and blew both chances

We lost when we were supposed to lose
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m confident in the players we brought in and I think Arch will coach them up , still thinking around .500 and hope we will be pleasantly surprised and we exceed that
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 11 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago While my fiance shopped for things I sped through this game where Green had a nice showing.

PRT, big props from me for being able to pull that off while shopping with the fiancé. Well done!
Well I'm not actually allowed to have any input on anything to do with the wedding so I just sat outside hobby lobby instead
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

KingstonLane wrote: 11 months ago

Honestly SLUs situation is more embarrassing than ours. They had a shot to make the tourney the last two years with experienced rosters and blew both chances

Travis Ford underperforms every year. They’ve been preseason borderline top 25 the last 3 years and missed the tournament every year.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

And we almost beat them in Saint Louis
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Ramfan22 wrote: 11 months ago

Travis Ford underperforms every year. They’ve been preseason borderline top 25 the last 3 years and missed the tournament every year.
Yes - SLU has killed the A10 too by not living up to potential.
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised. It seemed like he had several high scoring games last year and was pretty solid in February and March. He appears to be improving as time goes on, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came here and averaged 10+/- points a game this year. I think the coaches will be able to get more out of him as well. He seems like he's built well with nice height/length. We might be getting this guy at the right time.
2 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

The Dude wrote: 11 months ago I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised. It seemed like he had several high scoring games last year and was pretty solid in February and March. He appears to be improving as time goes on, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came here and averaged 10+/- points a game this year. I think the coaches will be able to get more out of him as well. He seems like he's built well with nice height/length. We might be getting this guy at the right time.
Am I missing something here? I am seeing that he only played 6 games last year, none after December, and scored in double figures once.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

adam914 wrote: 11 months ago
The Dude wrote: 11 months ago I'm hoping we are pleasantly surprised. It seemed like he had several high scoring games last year and was pretty solid in February and March. He appears to be improving as time goes on, so I wouldn't be surprised if he came here and averaged 10+/- points a game this year. I think the coaches will be able to get more out of him as well. He seems like he's built well with nice height/length. We might be getting this guy at the right time.
Am I missing something here? I am seeing that he only played 6 games last year, none after December, and scored in double figures once.
Yea when he played a full season , 21-22, he had 8 games in double figures.
0 x
GO RAMS
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago
Yeah that's what I was seeing to. The Dude got me excited, I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong stats or a different David Green or something. :lol:
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I can kind of see the thinking on Green from this perspective - His production his sophomore year was really good, from a rate perspective. But, his junior year was pretty much a disaster. We went through the same thing with Ish in a way; promising freshman year, trainwreck sophomore year, stellar junior year. Green's per-40 minutes his sophomore year were 17.6 PPG, 7.3 RPG, and 34.6 percent from 3. If you can get sophomore year Green to play 25 to 35 MPG, he's a valuable rotation player. I'd much rather have him on the roster than the big men we lost (Samb, Tchikou), because he at least has some track record of decent production.
9 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Well thought out post, SG. I am at a wait and see point with and not expecting him to be a double digit scorer for us consistently yet but, your post gives me more hope. 👍🏼
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago

Yeah that's what I was seeing to. The Dude got me excited, I thought maybe I was looking at the wrong stats or a different David Green or something. :lol:
Oops, yeah, I missed that. Meant the 21-22 season. Well here's hoping...haha.
1 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Brown A-.. 0.925
House A- ..0.925
Montgomery B+ ..0.875
Kortright C ..0.750
Wright B ..0.850
Green C- ..0.725

= 5.05 / 6 = 0.8417

a B is 0.850.

Hence, a B-
Help me understand your ratings. What would have Ish’s rating be? Pride? Buru? Who was the best big man we were after ?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

McRam wrote: 11 months ago Help me understand your ratings. What would have Ish’s rating be? Pride? Buru? Who was the best big man we were after ?
Ishmael Leggett A ... 0.950
Charles Pride A ... 0.950
Buru Naivalurua B+ ... 0.875

I think the best big men we were after were probably Tyson Brown and Keegan Records. I think Buru Naivalurua was in the same vicinity as Brown, but possibly a smidge lower. I think Tim Dalger was an impressive late pursuit, that while seemed to hold out for a long time, we only got in on at the 11th hour and it wasn't enough time to actually even get him here for a visit.

All ratings are subjective, but they tend to be based on the player's past performances, how they would be seen by people who rate recruits for a living, how they compare to each other, and how they would fit this roster.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

jcru wrote: 11 months ago
McRam wrote: 11 months ago Help me understand your ratings. What would have Ish’s rating be? Pride? Buru? Who was the best big man we were after ?
Ishmael Leggett A ... 0.950
Charles Pride A ... 0.950
Buru Naivalurua B+ ... 0.875

I think the best big men we were after were probably Tyson Brown and Keegan Records. I think Buru Naivalurua was in the same vicinity as Brown, but possibly a smidge lower. I think Tim Dalger was an impressive late pursuit, that while seemed to hold out for a long time, we only got in on at the 11th hour and it wasn't enough time to actually even get him here for a visit.

All ratings are subjective, but they tend to be based on the player's past performances, how they would be seen by people who rate recruits for a living, how they compare to each other, and how they would fit this roster.
U r right, this is entirely subjective. I don’t agree with Pride and Ish being 95, if they r 95, what would Jared Terrel’s rating have been. Or Dowtin?

I think Ish is an 85, Pride a little lower and Buru a 80. Ish has a lot of intangibles but his overall shooting is not in the Aa range
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The scale is relative to who we currently have and who was available in the portal.

Needless to say, it's a sliding scale. There's no reason we can't both be right here. There is no EC on this team, hence there is no one with a 0.975 who we either have, nor were we even looking at having.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

And if you think Ish is an 85, and Buru is an 80, that is fine. But that just pushes Kortright and Green down the other side of the scale to make room for them. That doesn't mean that Ish and Wright are now equal, for instance...
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Now, if Archie were to get JDD, that would be an EC level recruit. that is to say, he was projected to go right into the NBA draft at one point. It doesn't account for his performance here in a uniform on the court, but on potential alone, he would be a 0.975.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

On campus per his Instagram
0 x