Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Poll ended at 1 year ago

1 Absolutely YES! It would be Awesome.
8%
2 Yes
10%
3 Could go either way. Undecided.
20%
4 No
44%
5 Absolutely NOT! Makes no sense.
18%

Total votes: 71

ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

On a scale of 1-5 How Much do you want Jalen Carey to play next season?
1 Absolutely YES! It would be Awesome.
2 Yes
3 Could go either way. Undecided.
4 No
5 Absolutely NOT! Makes no sense.

Poll Per Request from Reef
reef wrote: 1 year ago Please someone create a poll do we want Carey back next season , be interesting to see the numbers
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am a no (#4) despite some clear benefits, imho, of him returning like, experience, maturity, athleticism and familiarity with Archie’s system.
2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Do you want Jalen Carey to Return for the 2023-2024 Season - his 5th year of Eligibility?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I am a no (#4) despite some clear benefits, imho, of him returning like, experience, maturity, athleticism and familiarity with Archie’s system.
I pretty much feel the same way. But we need to move on.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

Carey will not help immensely on the floor if the team ends up being any good, but I do think there is some value in continuity and when you have so much turnover. We have to fill the roster out somehow. I would be OK if he returned.
1 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Why? What's the purpose. He's not going to want to be a role player. If his ultimate goal is to be a pro, he is going to want to be a focal point. Time to move on and wish him well.
1 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

That’s worrying about it from his standpoint which is fine but not what the prompt was. If the prompt was “would you come back if you were Jalen Carey?” I might have a different answer.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I figured it would be like this 19 of 26 are either No or absolutely not , really good voting turn out
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I love the 4 out of 32 on here who are the loudest.

Anyway, that’s a good ole fashioned 4 from me, in honor of our next four, Buru, who will be using that scholarship they won’t be giving Carey.
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I love the 4 out of 32 on here who are the loudest.
Did you think the vote would have been closer jcru?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I love the 4 out of 32 on here who are the loudest.
Did you think the vote would have been closer jcru?
No. When you personally started this dialogue at the beginning of the weekend, I was actually thinking, if you are so confident in your opinion on this, ramster, run a poll.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't know why we needed 5 options. In about a week, run the same poll with just: Yes, Undecided, No.

As of right now, it would be: 6, 6, and 23

Or, better yet, just: Yes or No, and force all of the people in the middle to make a decision.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

5. Don’t want him back at all. Good luck with your next steps in life
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I am a no (#4) despite some clear benefits, imho, of him returning like, experience, maturity, athleticism and familiarity with Archie’s system.
so, a 4 voter, but a #1 at heart ;)
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Bring this dude back.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I don't know why we needed 5 options. In about a week, run the same poll with just: Yes, Undecided, No.

As of right now, it would be: 6, 6, and 23

Or, better yet, just: Yes or No, and force all of the people in the middle to make a decision.
So what would you have done differently?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago So what would you have done differently?
A Yes or No poll, I guess. Assuming you can split the people who voted #3, that would be:

11 to 28, as of right now

There is no reason to spike the football, however. I don't dislike Carey, I just would like to see how a team of purely Archie era guys does. The one exception would have been Ish, and he's now gone.
2 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

#4. Nothing malicious, time to move on.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I believe Carey is gone. Move on.
0 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

I think Carey is decent at getting midrange shots. I don't like how much he turns the ball over. I'd like to think after being in Archie's system for a year that we could see some improvement this year and he may end up being a consistent contributor.
0 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Guys don’t improve in their 6th year of college hoops.
He is who he is.
It’s almost like not returning anyone from one of the statistically worst offenses in school history is a good thing.
3 x
RhodyFanNotAlum
Kenny Green

Unread post by RhodyFanNotAlum »

I want so badly to say yes. It's exhausting having to get accustomed to so many different players year in and year out, and I would very much like to see more roster continuity year over year. And Carey seems like a good kid.

But if we have a decent team next season that's on the verge of competing, I don't see Carey as a key difference maker. And if we don't have a team that's ready to compete yet, I want to be able to evaluate as many players as possible for the year after.

So it's a reluctant no from me.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

32-19 things tightened a bit after the 19-7 start , good solid poll , I would have also been good with just the yes or no options
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago 32-19 things tightened a bit after the 19-7 start , good solid poll , I would have also been good with just the yes or no options
what would fewer options do? Make it faster and easier to vote?

I started with 1-10 and then reduced to 5 when I finalized it.

There have been many comments since Carey declared exploring professional options and entering the Portal, plus Miller saying he could come back and be welcomed.
Some have been very strong in their opinions that he should stay and that he should go.
Others have been less strong and some wavering. Myself I'm more let Miller decide because all the decisions are his and ultimately it's get the NCAA Bid - now the AQ with 1-Bid Conf.

The middle choice supports could go either way.

The 2nd and 4th options help show the this'd who have an opinion but not as strong as 1st and 5th.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago 32-19 things tightened a bit after the 19-7 start , good solid poll , I would have also been good with just the yes or no options

Reef,
You requested someone do a poll on this, so I did.

Any surprises or observations based on the 51 votes to date?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Reef,
You requested someone do a poll on this, so I did.

Any surprises or observations based on the 51 votes to date?
It’s about what I expected , most don’t want him back but I respect all opinions
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Splitting the undecided evenly, that is currently 16 yay, 43 nay

Or 27% to 73%, almost 3 to 1 "No"
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
so, a 4 voter, but a #1 at heart ;)
As king of the castle and master of my domain, I have to make tough decisions.

I’m out! :lol:
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Not Mike Powell wrote: 1 year ago
Did he put the A-10 on notice??
Maybe, but probably not the type of notice he was thinking of...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Keep in mind as you are criticizing Jalen Carey for this "putting the A10 on notice" comment that it is coming from Rhody Vault who is often putting out this kind of hoopla.

Carey didn't say it - Rhody Vault did. Same crap he does everyday.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think the feeling was, maybe he’ll be way better now that he won’t have Cox holding him back.

Turns out, no one was holding him back except for him
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I have no idea what RV was thinking and why he said it. Looking for clicks.
He does it frequently.

Point is don't blame Jalen Carey for material RV puts out, blame RV if his prediction and pumping doesn't come true. Carey did not say it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I wasn’t actually talking about RV. I was talking about the people on this website. We got the, hey, Carey is going to be great now that he has a real coach. Well, Boheim was a real coach, Archie is a real coach. Maybe we attributed too much of Carey’s deficiencies to David Cox. Carey pretty much had free reign to do whatever he needed to do last year. Ish took advantage of it. Carey didn’t
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Guys don’t improve in their 6th year of college hoops.
He is who he is.
It’s almost like not returning anyone from one of the statistically worst offenses in school history is a good thing.
I agree, except to be a no, for me, there has to be at least 7 players where you can say, "yup, better than him", and not seeing that yet ...still hopeful, but not seeing it yet
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
Keep in mind as you are criticizing Jalen Carey for this "putting the A10 on notice" comment that it is coming from Rhody Vault who is often putting out this kind of hoopla.

Carey didn't say it - Rhody Vault did. Same crap he does everyday.
Agree. But, when he comes back and light's it up for Rhody, gonna be a lot of people saying, "glad I was wrong".
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I would rather have an open scholarship in case a mid-season opportunity arises than have Jalen back. I have nothing personal against Jalen, it's more the case of where the program is at this point.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I would rather have an open scholarship in case a mid-season opportunity arises than have Jalen back. I have nothing personal against Jalen, it's more the case of where the program is at this point.
Not me.

I would be extremely disappointed if we go into the season with an open slot.
At least Carey can contribute and have an impact, better than nobody.

But doubtful he will part of the team anyway.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I would be disappointed if we go into the season with an open slot, but not because I want Carey to fill it.

I would be disappointed because I expected more out of our recruiters than to leave scholarships open.
1 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Guys don’t improve in their 6th year of college hoops.
He is who he is.
Except when they play hurt in the 5th year….He is not a going to be a stud, he is a solid rotation player minimally who has gotten better every year as he learns to try not to do as much. Would love to see him on a team with guys who can actually shoot, then his athleticism and mid-range game (which is very good) will be more effective. People are again looking at the new players with rose colored glasses, not going to kick the 6 out of bed in the morning because there is a maybe 7 but more likely a 4 waiting. Especially at the bottom of the roster.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hey, "3 out of 4" ram fans said "No"

Some might say being subjected to Carey one more season, when we were promised last season was his last season, is like cruel and unusual punishment.

No one went out of their way to criticize Carey when he was in uniform, but that's just because the majority of Rhody fans are nice and don't like to bash players. This poll tells the real story, however.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Hey, "3 out of 4" ram fans said "No"

Some might say being subjected to Carey one more season, when we were promised last season was his last season, is like cruel and unusual punishment.

No one went out of their way to criticize Carey when he was in uniform, but that's just because the majority of Rhody fans are nice and don't like to bash players. This poll tells the real story, however.
“No one went out of their way to criticize Carey”

You serious?

The overwhelming majority here criticized Carey in multiple game threads any time he play poorly.

Nobody can deny that. It is a fact.
2 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

You serious?

The overwhelming majority here criticized Carey in multiple game threads any time he play poorly.

LOL. Fer real??.."No one went out of there way", I almost choked on a Triscuit and slice o' cheese there....
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Consistently inconsistent. A little better this past season, yes. Going to be substantially better under any circumstance this coming season, highly unlikely. He is who he is. Wish him well in any case.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You serious?

LOL. Fer real??.."No one went out of there way", I almost choked on a Triscuit and slice o' cheese there....
Do you have any idea how bad that could have REALLY been?

Not even close to Rhody15's treatment of Jermaine Harris, not even on the same planet as that.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We've been over this before, R15. It just seems like it was close to what you did, because it was a lot of people, doing a little bit of criticizing. Not like you, one person, relentlessly criticizing someone when it wasn't even gameday, everyday.

And nothing has changed. Just look at this poll... same people voting here were the same people making comments during in-game threads. Needless to say, last season was meant to be Carey's season to impress. Let him go to Europe and make some money.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago

You serious?

Do you have any idea how bad that could have REALLY been?

Not even close to Rhody15's treatment of Jermaine Harris, not even on the same planet as that.
You never compared it to that. Now you’re changing the goalposts.

People went out of they way basically Every missed Shot he took, turnover, etc Carey had.

The difference between Carey and Harris though?

Carey can play, Harris could not.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Carey got to play his 4th and final year here. Harris did not. You had a little something to do with that. You were relentless.

Yes, the 47.5 people who currently voted "No" in this poll were chirping during games when Carey did something foolish or careless. There are strength in numbers. But, they waited until game day to do it. Carey always seemed to think, in his mind, that he was a "10" when in reality he was more like a "6". He seemed oblivious that he was actually doing anything wrong out there, so there was never anything to correct, or improve. So, he continues to do what he has always done, since the day he showed up here from Syracuse.

BUT, 47.5 people waited, until his senior year was over here, to participate in this poll, and state they would rather not see him return. Contrast THAT, to what you did.

I'm not actually upset about it, I'm just pointing out that you're being a little hypocritical here.

Now, if you said Bassy got a treatment similar to the one you gave Harris, then yeah, at least the result was the same. But Carey? No. People were reserved, in comparison. I commend them for that.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Are we really going to compare Carey to Harris?

Are we going to play Bassy to anyone?

The only unfortunate thing for Bassy is that he never belonged at this level of basketball, so it wasn't his fault he couldn't hack it. There's a reason he had 1 D1 scholarship offer.

Harris was a 4 star recruit who legitimately couldn't (or wouldn't) even jump. I don't know if he didn't try or didn't care or was the beneficiary of a lack of competition in high school - but that dude was the worst player to ever put on Keaney Blue relative to his expectations. Do you understand he was the #1 ranked recruit to URI in the last 23 years?

Literally Harris was a .96 - higher than Terrell, Delroy, EC, Tyrese - everyone.

To make matters worse, he played for a coach who started him 63/63 games his first 2 years. He averaged 4.5 points and 2.9 rebounds as a starting forward.

The fact that there wasn't a cavalcade of voices on here calling for him to be benched is more a reflection of the basketball minds on this board than on him.

Collectively this board seems to want to coddle players or coaches who are not good, but those with more talent they're brutal on. Please never mention Carey when comparing Bassy or Harris. Thank you for coming to my Ted talk.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL