Re: portal

Unread post by Brian Forster »

good player
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Seems like a big loss. Starter for us last year that made some big plays. Secondary appears to be a complete rebuild with the losses of Jones along with Robinson, Gavek and now Carter who were starters. Not to mention Henry Y (Wont try his last name) who was all over the field for us and seemed like a great leader. (I also don't see Arthur White listed on the roster any more).
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Seems like a big loss. Starter for us last year that made some big plays. Secondary appears to be a complete rebuild with the losses of Jones along with Robinson, Gavek and now Carter who were starters. Not to mention Henry Y (Wont try his last name) who was all over the field for us and seemed like a great leader. (I also don't see Arthur White listed on the roster any more).
And if there was one area that did not look good at the scrimmage on Saturday, it was the DBs. Lots of work to do.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Timing with leaving at end of spring ball is usually did not like predicted role on team?
Not always,just typically.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago Timing with leaving at end of spring ball is usually did not like predicted role on team?
Not always,just typically.
I would definitely agree. But that would be surprising for a guy who was a returning starter on a team that lost a bit at that position.
Who knows. There certainly could be more to it. Wish him well where ever he ends up.
Portal goes both ways so if our staff isn't happy with the secondary they could potentially grab one or two drop down guys who werent happy with their projected role at their school after their spring camp wraps.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Brian Forster wrote: 1 year ago

must have got a message also?
He has been blowing up. Seems to have offers from most of the major conferences in the country.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

probably had something lined up prior
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
Brian
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Brian »

Kentucky offered Carter, too
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
PresWR
Frenchy Tomlin

Re: Football Portal 2023

Unread post by PresWR »

Losing Carter is a significant blow!! Seems like we only have a couple of returning DB’s with a fair amount of playing time. But, there are always guys that step up!! Playoffs here we come!! We ain’t hard to find!! 3 More Feet!!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Edge rusher from Boise State

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

So yeah Antonio Carter was apparently SEC good and we had no idea?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago So yeah Antonio Carter was apparently SEC good and we had no idea?
Yeah.

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago So yeah Antonio Carter was apparently SEC good and we had no idea?
Yeah.

Barf

It's funny seeing these SEC schools line up for his services then you look at the top of the page and people are wondering if he was asked to leave 😂
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago
Yeah.

Barf

It's funny seeing these SEC schools line up for his services then you look at the top of the page and people are wondering if he was asked to leave 😂
And another one.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Barf

It's funny seeing these SEC schools line up for his services then you look at the top of the page and people are wondering if he was asked to leave

He has more offers than AJ Cornelius? (just having trouble making up his mind is my bet). As he is nowhere near the same player.
Isn't school already over?
Did he have his own NIL offer prior?
No coaches named in the offers or pictures of him in their unis or facilities? Just oversight certainly.
Not saying he isn't going to land someplace -are these PWO's? None of the above matches up. Let me know when the school itself announces it.

Probably home in Orlando and they are calling him based on last season's dysfunctional secondary play.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Carter appears to have 2 pictures in Unis with over 10 + offers?
I have to see it on the school's website. I don't think he played in spring ball at Rhody.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

https://theathletic.com/4506555/2023/05 ... otre-dame/

Good Article. Some CAA cheap shots though.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Brian Forster wrote: 11 months ago https://theathletic.com/4506555/2023/05 ... otre-dame/

Good Article. Some CAA cheap shots though.
Thanks for posting Brian Forster.
I saw Carter at the Spring game. He was in the sidelines wearing #8, as was #8 Kasim Hill. Neither played in the game as Fleming held out numerous players including some of his best offensive linemen who are starters. Don't want any injuries at this point.

From The Athletic article regarding Carter in HS in Florida when we recruited him.

Starting at cornerback for Oak Ridge opposite Carter was Marvae Myers-Glover, a two-star prospect who picked up an offer from Louisville and eventually signed with Middle Tennessee. Carter saw the interest his teammate got and wanted more of it himself. But that never really happened. Rivals rated Carter as a zero-star recruit. 247Sports barely had a page for him at all.

“Fortunately enough, Rhode Island just fell in love with him,” Johnson said. “He really just needed to work on his footwork when he transferred in. Playing Cover 2 shell, he was playing in the flats a lot. He didn’t have to run. He didn’t get a lot of work. He had skills, but he hadn’t perfected any of it. He was just long and lanky, which is what you wanted in a DB. He’s very smart, dependable, never hurt.
1 x
Brian Forster
ARD

Carter is better than Jones, But AJ Cornelius-come on man??
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

It is interesting to see two high major and highly coveted kids from URI hit the portal. Wish them the best. Guys like Steinmetz, Catalina and Rohrwasser (SP?) have gotten a shot at the NFL after getting their start at URI. Not to mention guys like Coulter, Parker, and even someone like Kyle Murphy.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Arkansas State transfer

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

3 star dual threat QB who redshirted at Virginia Tech.

Really good athlete. Was also a solid basketball player who won a state championship and played for an EYBL team.
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... ta-ga-2022
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Bos8 wrote: 11 months ago
3 star dual threat QB who redshirted at Virginia Tech.

Really good athlete. Was also a solid basketball player who won a state championship and played for an EYBL team.
https://future150.com/hs/basketball-pro ... ta-ga-2022
So, he has 4 years of eligibility?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Looks like 3-4 years of eligibility not sure he ever played a down at VaTech. Was offered by Duke, Vandy, Wake amongst others out of high school. Have to assume this is Hill’s replacement t after this season. Looks to be a good get.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago Looks like 3-4 years of eligibility not sure he ever played a down at VaTech. Was offered by Duke, Vandy, Wake amongst others out of high school. Have to assume this is Hill’s replacement t after this season. Looks to be a good get.
I would agree. We still have the kid from Temple as well (Bonner-Steward) who will probably compete with for the starting spot next season unless someone else is brought in as well.
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Transfer from Tennessee?
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

https://utsports.com/sports/football/ro ... ards/14941

Was a walk-on CB at Tennessee, never really saw the field except in blowout games.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

what i do thou knowest not now, but thou shalt know hereafter....

lol....wut? is this guy in a Shakespeare play or a King James version act?
0 x
Rhody Blue
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Rhody Blue »

Looks like a QB Transfer coming in. Saw a post on Instagram
Jackson Ostrowsky - played at southern Connecticut
Will look for more info.
Attachments
IMG_6727.jpeg
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Link:

https://scsuowls.com/sports/football/ro ... owsky/9163

Fairly impressive credentials
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Not mentioned in the QB preview, but who knows how far in advance they are written. Would appear to be some solid depth behind Hill, with Steward who came from Temple, along with incoming transfers Virginia Tech and Southern Conn. Add in a returner in Nored who came to URI out of high school along with the incoming freshman from Texas.
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Kennique Bonner-Steward just entered the portal as a grad transfer.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Bos8 wrote: 8 months ago Kennique Bonner-Steward just entered the portal as a grad transfer.
Wow.
I was impressed by Bonner-Steward in the Spring game. Found myself thinking he is as good as our starting QB and was good insurance if Kasim were to experience an injury.
I think this is a loss, probably already has a school or two already identified to transfer to.
0 x
Brian Forster
ARD

The QB from Va Tech looks great.
Better passer than Bonner.
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

In the age of the portal very few QBs are willing to be #2 or 3.
0 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
R.Kelly150
Kenny Green

Unread post by R.Kelly150 »

I would think Hill takes 95%!of the snaps this season but if we want to maintain this momentum we need to find the next QB to lead this program as its on the rise. The staff have recruited a diverse group to backup Hill and take over after he is gone. Forward thinking and hopefully no drop off.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

We have the transfer from V.Tech, the transfer from SCSU who is an upperclassman with a lot of experience, and the freshman Conner Kenyon, who reminds of the kind of QBs New Hampshire always manages to get their hands on, kid has an arm and a half. Not surprising that someone, who was probably planning on starting this year, until Hill decided to come back, is looking to shop around.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 8 months ago We have the transfer from V.Tech, the transfer from SCSU who is an upperclassman with a lot of experience, and the freshman Conner Kenyon, who reminds of the kind of QBs New Hampshire always manages to get their hands on, kid has an arm and a half. Not surprising that someone, who was probably planning on starting this year, until Hill decided to come back, is looking to shop around.
I think it is very surprising because it is August 9th and our season opens Thursday Night August 31st in Atlanta. I did not see this coming at all.
He looked as good or better than Hill in the Spring game in throwing, running and leading the team.
So to have all this time expire between now and the Spring game what changed? Possible he lost his #2 slot that was clearly his following the Spring game.
Going to be tough to latch on with a team now, unless he already has which is always a possibility in this free agency world.
Still I'm very surprised.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Kasim Hill never played in the spring game

ETA: Unless you're comparing Bonner-Steward's performance in the spring game where he had no chance of getting hit to Kasim Hill's performance in real games. Either way, I don't get your comparison and neither did the coaching staff
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Brian Forster
ARD

Ramster-Rhowdy is right on this one.
You are making too much of his leaving.
Bonner was good runner,but waaay too much circumstantial going against him to be starting QB .
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Brian Forster wrote: 8 months ago Ramster-Rhowdy is right on this one.
Dogs and cats living together! Mass hysteria!
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Also- regarding timing, he may have needed summer classes in order to qualify as a graduate transfer. While it may have benefitted him on the field to be at his new destination in the spring, in life it may have benefitted him to stay here, finish up course work and get his degree.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I love the Bishop nodding his head after Peter says "Lenny, you will have saved the lives of Millions of registered voters"
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 8 months ago Kasim Hill never played in the spring game

ETA: Unless you're comparing Bonner-Steward's performance in the spring game where he had no chance of getting hit to Kasim Hill's performance in real games. Either way, I don't get your comparison and neither did the coaching staff
That's exactly what I'm comparing Bonner-Steward to, Hill's performance during the season. I attended the Spring game so I knew Hill didn't play and a number of starters did not play at all in that game.

What I'm responding to is Jcru's statement "Not surprising that someone, who was probably planning on starting this year, until Hill decided to come back, is looking to shop around".

Hill runs the ball a good bit, and he runs well for a big guy, but that makes him susceptible to getting hurt.
It's been known for some time Hill was returning so my point is I'm surprised that Bonner-Steward is entering the Portal now in August this late in the process. Very surprised.

Either one or more of the back up QB's has done very well and pushed Bonner-Steward down the picking order or quite possibly another team has expressed interest in Bonner-Steward. Again a complete surprise to me that he is leaving - most of that surprise being this timing just weeks before the season kicks off.
0 x