'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> ??) (URI Visit)

Unread post by jcru »

That was a MONSTER recruiting effort, URI beating out all of those Big East teams, R15
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago jcru’s turn to have a wildly exaggerated take on a recruit they almost certainly don’t know enough about have such a strong opinion? This the new hot trend on this website apparently. Personally I hate it.

jcru go touch grass, bud. Some of the weirdest posts in the history of this board over the last 24 hours.
It's ok to point out his flaws, like his shooting percentages. But to write him off already is weird. He's definitely an upgrade over Bassy in terms of defense and PPG.
I don’t have any opinion on this guy at all. I know nothing about him or his situation. I assume that the coaches know more than I do, but I also recognize that they aren’t perfect either.

The thing that kills me about these kind of obsessive, thread-dominating rants (there was one by another poster in the thread about a kid that ended up transferring to fordham a couple weeks ago) is the leap to drawing overarching conclusions about the state and trajectory of the program overall based on some pretty opaque information about one particular recruit - which in the grand scheme of things is not all that important. A roster is made up of more guys than can even reasonably play, there are always going to be flyers and depth pieces and coaches thinking there might be something there with a player that casual observers wouldn’t have isolated. And in this case you got the additional weirdness of declaring this was some sort of conspiratorial quid pro quo where the team was being held hostage by some outside force and being coerced into taking this kid. If this was preordained by some dark basketball force, what would even be the point of a visit?
9 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

3 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI)

Unread post by CamsRams »

3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

TP, this is the result of, my stating an unpopular opinion, and others, many others, not liking the opinion and trying to snuff it out. Which isn't going to happen. No matter how many people try to stomp on the opinion, if the opinion is valid, some people will agree with it. And if others do not, I'm not offended, more power to them.

And it is this: I think at this point, we have 2 very good incoming freshman recruits, 3 above average transfer and JUCO recruits, and just the one suspect, imo, recruit, soon to sign, that seems a little misplaced here in contrast to the others. I'm not crazy about the timing in the mist of the coaches trying to win recruiting battles for other, more highly rated players, who play the same position. and I don't see the urgency with weeks to go before the deadline.

And that's really it. Simple.
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago TP, this is the result of, my stating an unpopular opinion, and others, many others, not liking the opinion and trying to snuff it out. Which isn't going to happen. No matter how many people try to stomp on the opinion, if the opinion is valid, some people will agree with it. And if others do not, I'm not offended, more power to them.

And it is this: I think at this point, we have 2 very good incoming freshman recruits, 3 above average transfer and JUCO recruits, and just the one suspect, imo, recruit, soon to sign, that seems a little misplaced here in contrast to the others. I'm not crazy about the timing in the mist of the coaches trying to win recruiting battles for other, more highly rated players, who play the same position. and I don't see the urgency with weeks to go before the deadline.

And that's really it. Simple.
It’s fine to have an opinion, nobody is trying to snuff it out. Just seems like an extremely strong opinion that is more strongly felt than I’d think is normal considering the stakes of this one particular recruitment. It was really the conspiracy stuff that seemed over the top to me, since it didn’t appear to be supported by anything other than the size of your feelings about the player.
8 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

well, as people were provoking me, I was provoking them back. I don't know why people take this stuff so seriously like it's Gospel.

I mentioned this was KJ's recruit. someone else was quick to say, no, that's not his area.

Baloney. It's like Heath Ledger's Joker said in the Dark Knight. Bat Man has no jurisdiction. KJ is Bat Man. Every player that comes in here is KJ's recruit. Hence his brick tweets.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Welcome aboard Luis.

All 4 commits so far have been KJ's.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Let's get it Luis!
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago jcru’s turn to have a wildly exaggerated take on a recruit they almost certainly don’t know enough about have such a strong opinion? This the new hot trend on this website apparently. Personally I hate it.

jcru go touch grass, bud. Some of the weirdest posts in the history of this board over the last 24 hours.
It's ok to point out his flaws, like his shooting percentages. But to write him off already is weird. He's definitely an upgrade over Bassy in terms of defense and PPG.
I don’t have any opinion on this guy at all. I know nothing about him or his situation. I assume that the coaches know more than I do, but I also recognize that they aren’t perfect either.

The thing that kills me about these kind of obsessive, thread-dominating rants (there was one by another poster in the thread about a kid that ended up transferring to fordham a couple weeks ago) is the leap to drawing overarching conclusions about the state and trajectory of the program overall based on some pretty opaque information about one particular recruit - which in the grand scheme of things is not all that important. A roster is made up of more guys than can even reasonably play, there are always going to be flyers and depth pieces and coaches thinking there might be something there with a player that casual observers wouldn’t have isolated. And in this case you got the additional weirdness of declaring this was some sort of conspiratorial quid pro quo where the team was being held hostage by some outside force and being coerced into taking this kid. If this was preordained by some dark basketball force, what would even be the point of a visit?
Yeah absolutely. We also can't rely on Estevez to contribute right away, because that's rare for a freshman to do. So I'm not mad about getting Kortright.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

If it’s KJ recruit ok i admit I’m wrong thought he was from NY and Duane would be the lead Gg welcome Luis
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Wait I thought all he could do was dunk and that didn’t matter ? Also he didn’t score 40 against URI so who cares….
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You want to continue this? I'm up for another three pages. Bring it
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I noticed you were the first one on twitter to get out the pom poms as well.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rah
Rah
Sis boom bah
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Wait I thought all he could do was dunk and that didn’t matter ? Also he didn’t score 40 against URI so who cares….
I do wanna see him dunk like this in the Ryan center. Would definitely get the place rocking.
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

I was waiting to comment on this thread until an actual commitment was made. Now that it has been made, JCRU you have to chill dude. I love your enthusiasm and you post a lot and this site can use that. What we do not need is the Reddit style approach you have brought to it, I mean calling everybody out as homers, making shit up quite frankly, posting the same thing 50 times, you are the only person who is aiming high etc. Can we let the kid play before we start bashing him? Is that too much to ask? You can criticize the coaches and you can disagree with them. But to bash the kid the way you have and to turn this thread into JCRU vs. the world is a little off-putting to me and others.
10 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was all set with this. But apparently Stevie isn't. Don't call me out if you don't want a response
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Does anyone know where I can get the replay of the Quinnipiac URI game?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know where I can get the replay of the Quinnipiac URI game?
I can’t find one either 22, rhodysurf I know you know a lot about replays any ideas?
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know where I can get the replay of the Quinnipiac URI game?
I can’t find one either 22, rhodysurf I know you know a lot about replays any ideas?
Yeah, just interested in seeing how he looked in that game. I found this one, but it's just an edit.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago I was waiting to comment on this thread until an actual commitment was made. Now that it has been made, JCRU you have to chill dude. I love your enthusiasm and you post a lot and this site can use that. What we do not need is the Reddit style approach you have brought to it, I mean calling everybody out as homers, making shit up quite frankly, posting the same thing 50 times, you are the only person who is aiming high etc. Can we let the kid play before we start bashing him? Is that too much to ask? You can criticize the coaches and you can disagree with them. But to bash the kid the way you have and to turn this thread into JCRU vs. the world is a little off-putting to me and others.
I don't believe that to be true
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

2 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Backroads wrote: 1 year ago
I appreciate it Backroads. He was a problem for us that game.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I noticed you were the first one on twitter to get out the pom poms as well.
I guess this your attempt at a diss? Good one….Yes, I welcomed a new URI commit because I’m a diehard fan. Stop creeping on my Twitter so much that’s that second time you brought it up today…
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Free country.

Stevey, here on KB, you're all like "Well, I don't think he's going to move the needle"

On twitter you are like "Oh my gawd! Love you!"

I'm just pointing out a slight inconsistency is all.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Blue Ram, I never said that. I said I expect to win, or at least do everything possible to win. When Stevey said he didn't expect to win this upcoming year.

There's a lot of heavy extrapolation that takes place on this site. It's like the fish tale, in real time.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Free country.

Stevey, here on KB, you're all like "Well, I don't think he's going to move the needle"

On twitter you are like "Oh my gawd! Love you!"

I'm just pointing out a slight inconsistency is all.
Ummm what? I said “let’s go!!! welcome to rhody!” I’m welcoming him to the team… Like I do with all the recruits because I’m a diehard fan of the program…your comments are just odd right now… I’m done talking to you. Enjoy my Twitter …you’ll see a lot of lakers stuff after we just picked up a big win.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Blue Ram, I never said that. I said I expect to win, or at least do everything possible to win. When Stevey said he didn't expect to win this upcoming year.

There's a lot of heavy extrapolation that takes place on this site. It's like the fish tale, in real time.
jcru, you didn't look at the bolded text in the reply I was commenting on.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago jcru, you didn't look at the bolded text in the reply I was commenting on.
I saw it. "you are the only person who is aiming high"

I never said I was the only person who is aiming high.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You know, Stevey, I was done with this conversation. But you're going to pull that "what?? he didn't score 40?" soo....

I wasn't planning on doing my best Rhody15 impersonation and making this kid my own personal Jermaine Harris, but I'll try my best if that's what you want. Just let me know.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Anyone else?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago jcru, you didn't look at the bolded text in the reply I was commenting on.
I saw it. "you are the only person who is aiming high"

I never said I was the only person who is aiming high.
I was agreeing with you. Relax man. I was replying to 4Diffs
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Ok, Blue Ram. I knew what you meant. I appreciate it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Unfortunately I think the part where Rory just backpedals as he’s charging him pretty much summed up our entire season in a nutshell. Particularly the big men who can’t rebound or defend.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Unfortunately I think the part where Rory just backpedals as he’s charging him pretty much summed up our entire season in a nutshell. Particularly the big men who can’t rebound or defend.
With Buru(hopefully) and Tyson coming Rory will only be needed for like 5-10 mins
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This thread got real weird inexplicably.
The most polarizing 10/4/4 player in cbb history apparently.
I have said before that I will (and suggest others) save assessment until the entire group has been assembled. Good teams need role players. An athletic, defensive minded facilitator at the 1 would be a good thing if surrounded by some scoring. I think Kortright’s profile can be a piece of the puzzle of a good team but it matters what’s around him. I do remember watching the Quinnipiac game thinking all their guards were better than ours and that wasn’t a good omen for us.
7 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

To that end add another shooter/perimeter scorer and Buru and I will really like this haul.
2 x
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

I like this signing and I think it makes us better. Luis is a strong lead guard who can defend and run a team. He is a plus defender and hard nose NYC kid. This entire transfer group we have brought in are physically ready to play and all are plus athletes. We were out juiced in almost every game last year- this group will not.

I think someone is underestimating Coach 40's relationship in this get and what it is hopefully going to do down the line. Luis and NYC's Eddie Lau are tight. Luis is a lower east side kid who has worked with Eddie and his Academy. Eddie Lau is a big player in NYC hoops and most know him. Currently Coaching with Coach Arbitello at Christ the King where his son, Jayden Lau is a rising Sophomore point guard. Eddie coached Murry Bergtraum to PSAL title last year. He was a certified sports agent for some NYC kids coming out years ago. He is very close to Lamar (Our Lamar) and his best friend is none other than Skip to my Lou- Rafer Alston. Duane got us Cam and he played a huge role in Luis! This was not a favor. Coach Pecora was working hard to get Luis back once he was appointed to the job. Luis did have interest from programs other than URI but we were his clear number one choice. He wanted to be here.

I have seen Luis play numerous times at the ROSE and think he's a really tough, talented kid. Hopefully with Archie/Staff his game cleans up and he will showcase his talent to Rhody Nation!
6 x
Section104
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Section104 »

Good piece.

Add either Leggett or Pride and Buru and I like where we are.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Thanks for posting, CamsRams.

I agree with BK’s tweet.

Luis should be a solid backcourt piece to split time with Cam, if that is the plan. We could use steady backcourt play after averaging 14 turn overs a game last season and as Cam comes along.

Welcome aboard, Luis! Get in that new practice facility and work on those FT’s.

Who’s next? Buru?
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Unfortunately ESPN plus only keeps replays for a month now, and the team sucked this year so I didn’t rip anything sadly
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I don't know about anybody else, but now that this kid is a RAM and he chose to come to our school, I support him 100%.
5 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I will make my own judgment on each player after I see them play for us. I will welcome every player to #RamFam as soon as they commit.
1 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

I watched all the Quinnipiac highlights I could find from this year and the one thing he is very good at is passing the basketball. Seems very under control and handles contact very well when he drives to the basket. Not that quick, but definitely a solid pass first PG that can be a real asset with weapons around him.

His lack of quickness costs him a few times against Iona in one of these highlights, so he may have a hard time staying in front of some guards. I think these two highlights against Iona can give you a pretty good idea about him as a player. Iona would have finished in the top half of the A-10 easily last year. Maybe top 4.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What's his IG page? All I'm finding is some real estate agent with the same name.
0 x