'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> ??) (URI Visit)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago No they are not. 3 years in you know what you are buying
Except this staff fixed the free throws of Carey (+17.6% year over year), Leggett (+16%), and even your binky Thomas (+28.1%). After one season with this staff I feel comfortable with them improving the free throw percentage of players they're bringing in. If that's Luis' biggest issue than I say bring him in and let the staff work with him
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

jcru, dude - you made your point.
Last edited by rhodyblue12 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
They should sell that jacket he’s wearing to fans.
Imagine being a fan of a University that sells apparel fans want to wear. Must be nice...
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

They didn’t fix Carey’s uncanny ability to be his own worst enemy with the ball. He generally did need anyone to apply defensive pressure to him, he gave himself so much pressure he would just spontaneously dribble balls off his foot or let routine passes through his fingers like a wide receiver trying to take off with the ball before actually catching it

I guess they didn’t see a problem there because Carey always acted like no one had ever even broached the subject with him, let alone try to correct anything.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I’m not done making my point.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That kid in the instagram video… is that the real reason we are taking Luis? Is he some sort of top-50 2025 recruit that came along for an unofficial visit?
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Why they continue to use a blank canvas as a background for recruits still confuses me.

Use the Ryan Center, Keaney, practice facility, etc.

Show off your facilities.
They have been using the practice facility for shots!
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

In NY today per his IG. Maybe another visit, but he's also from NY so could simply be heading home.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago That kid in the instagram video… is that the real reason we are taking Luis? Is he some sort of top-50 2025 recruit that came along for an unofficial visit?
Taking a player or coach because it might lead to someone else is not the way to go about it. How did Odom asking for Jerry D to be hired work out? How David Cox being hired to keep Harris and all the recruits turn out? I for one wanted Cox to be hired to keep Harris and the recruits. Why would this guy follow Luis to URI when he will have much better opportunities.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Disappointing to say the least. I thought the whole point of letting half the team go was to get better talent. Not Bassy v2.0

Again, I don’t understand why URI always carries a player like this on the roster. You scoff but I say it’s a favor to someone. Bassy was a favor to someone. In this case, KJ takes Kortright, and then hopefully we get another player down the line from Christ the King or this general area or sphere of influence.

Does Quinnipiac have a fan message board? Is anyone from that program the least bit sorry to see this kid go, or is it like Carey and so many others? ie “good luck”
So have you actually watched any film of him other than highlights?

If not your opinion is meaningless.
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Looks like he might be committed/commit soon... same account who posted about his visit yesterday.

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, who is the other kid in the video on the visit? I mean, it might not even be a player. It could be his brother.
0 x
jakepnickers
Abdul Fox

Unread post by jakepnickers »

Found info on the other kid in the video, JUCO player just finished his first year. Had a couple good games but nothing really standout.

https://dutchessfalcons.com/sports/d3-m ... -chery/750
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago Disappointing to say the least. I thought the whole point of letting half the team go was to get better talent. Not Bassy v2.0

Again, I don’t understand why URI always carries a player like this on the roster. You scoff but I say it’s a favor to someone. Bassy was a favor to someone. In this case, KJ takes Kortright, and then hopefully we get another player down the line from Christ the King or this general area or sphere of influence.

Does Quinnipiac have a fan message board? Is anyone from that program the least bit sorry to see this kid go, or is it like Carey and so many others? ie “good luck”

What a stupid comment. There are entire games for Quinnipiac on the internet.
1 x
JM24
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by JM24 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So, who is the other kid in the video on the visit? I mean, it might not even be a player. It could be his brother.
Did some digging, seems like he’s a JUCO freshman. Here’s a link to his stats.

1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Is this a legitimate commitment?
0 x
GO RAMS
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

First major red flag of this recruiting season.
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

JM24 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago So, who is the other kid in the video on the visit? I mean, it might not even be a player. It could be his brother.
Did some digging, seems like he’s a JUCO freshman. Here’s a link to his stats.

Guys he is clearly a friend of Luis on a visit with him to support his friend.

He is not being recruited by URI. Just accompanied Luis on the visit.

Also to those who say bass 2.0. Tell me one time where bassy dunked the ball that you saw.

Luis is much bigger and stronger and superior finisher at rim. Bass is much worse than Luis.
7 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago First major red flag of this recruiting season.
Dude what the hell are you talking about? We’re not wasting one of our final ships to do someone a favor…

He was one of the best players on a better team than ours. He’s completely fine to have as a back up. He’s a bigger, stronger, more athletic Bassy. He’s an upgrade…Carey shot 19% from 3 but still had a solid final season. This kid shot 30%. Ish shot 32%… His ft % sucks, but he does plenty of other things well. You’re completely overreacting and the favor comment over and over is getting a little odd…

I’m fine with having a vet guard like this on the roster. I want to see Cam develop and be our starter eventually.
11 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If Bassy came here as a favor, as JCRU suggests, who the hell was it that Cox was directing this favor to?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Stevey, I know you’re a wave the pom poms on twitter guy. So I’m not expecting any sort of critical analysis here.

That’s ok. You be you.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For me the FT percentage is the real disappointing stat, but I have seen players improve in that area and this is where you have to trust the staff. Maybe they know something we don’t about FTs, as that was one thing we were good at last season.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

What a stupid comment. There are entire games for Quinnipiac on the internet.
Lol how?

What's stupid is saying a player is Bassy 2.0 when you literally haven't watched them play before.

"I'm jcru and I don't need to watch a player actually play to know know how good he is"

Like you're literally pointing at his FT percentage and damning him to Bassy level. What about his ball handling? His passing? What kind of defender is he? How well does he run an offense? Whats his basketball IQ? Then it's all about how he fits in with the rest of the team.

Give me some critiques based on his actual gameplay.

He's also clearly better than Bassy I mean c'mon
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Of all the signings in 2023, this one reminds the most like the 2022 signings. No one else was even interested in this kid, there was no urgency to sign him. You could have literally signed him the day before the deadline if you couldn’t get anyone else. With zero worry of him going elsewhere.

Needless to say, we aren’t getting Pride after this.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Stevey, I know you’re a wave the pom poms on twitter guy. So I’m not expecting any sort of critical analysis here.

That’s ok. You be you.
God forbid you disagree or don’t like a player coming in. Montgomery was a great get for Archie. All these guys Archie takes will be shown by what is accomplished on the courts this year. If the guys he brought take the team closer to an NCAA bid and he retains player it is a complete success. If not there are no excuses. Pretty difficult to tell what will happen with so many new faces
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago For me the FT percentage is the real disappointing stat, but I have seen players improve in that area and this is where you have to trust the staff. Maybe they know something we don’t about FTs, as that was one thing we were good at last season.
For all we know his FT % will go up 30% like Bassy and Carey
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This is basically the equivalent of a professional football team getting mr irrelevant with their late third round pick instead of just waiting to round 7
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If they already had Pride and Buru signed sealed and delivered and they were using their very last scholarship on this kid on may 1, I might have been like, ah screw it, they got the job done, no big deal if they want to take a chance on a player.

But taking this kid now and making a big to do about it pretty much signals that at least the Pride thing isn’t happening nor any of those other good guards we were interested in early on and this was the best they could do.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Stevey, I know you’re a wave the pom poms on twitter guy. So I’m not expecting any sort of critical analysis here.

That’s ok. You be you.
I literally just said his free throw % sucks and he’s a backup. You’re acting as if I’m saying the kid is a star. He’s not. But he’s not nearly as bad as some of you are acting. We’re not gonna land a A10 star with every single recruit. We desperately needed another ball handler that can lock up other top guards in the A10, run the offense, and do the little things that a vet guard does. I’m high on Cam Estevez so bringing in a guard like this makes plenty of sense to be.
7 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Am I missing something here?

We’ve gotten more excited for less productive transfers over the last few years than this kid.

You’d think this kid is a preferred walk on with how people are reacting here.
9 x
Go Rhody
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago This is basically the equivalent of a professional football team getting mr irrelevant with their late third round pick instead of just waiting to round 7
Or it could be the equivalent of the Patriots taking Logan Mankins long before everyone thought he should be taken. You don't know how this is going to play out
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If they already had Pride and Buru signed sealed and delivered and they were using their very last scholarship on this kid on may 1, I might have been like, ah screw it, they got the job done, no big deal if they want to take a chance on a player.

But taking this kid now and making a big to do about it pretty much signals that at least the Pride thing isn’t happening nor any of those other good guards we were interested in early on and this was the best they could do.
They still have two scholarships left, you don't know how they'll be filled or who's off the board yet
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In response to R15:

Archie and KJ were supposed to be "different".

Instead it's S.o.S.

We got Carey, no one wanted him
We got Weston, no one wanted him
We got Alex, no one wanted him
Now we got Luis.

At least Carey, Weston, and Alex were from P5 teams. Heck, Carey actually started for Boheim. Many games his freshman season, until they decided to pull the plug, they saw something or somethings they didn't like.

Luis here was coming off the bench for Quinnipiac, that's why he left.

When House and Montgomery left their teams, it was a loss. THAT was different. Those teams didn't want them to leave. Heck, Bradley fans are actually pissed Montgomery made "a lateral move".

Quinnipiac pulled a Bassy on this kid. They subtly made it known throughout the season they were moving on. We're doing them a favor taking him off their hands.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

That’s ok. You be you.
God forbid you disagree or don’t like a player coming in. Montgomery was a great get for Archie. All these guys Archie takes will be shown by what is accomplished on the courts this year. If the guys he brought take the team closer to an NCAA bid and he retains player it is a complete success. If not there are no excuses. Pretty difficult to tell what will happen with so many new faces
I agree with most people on here that Kortright doesn’t move the needle. I’m disappointed that this is the best point guard we can get… I’m hoping this means the staff is as high on Cam as some of us are.

Where I step in is people like yourself that typically act like the recruits are horrible and have no strengths to their games. We went with the little experience
high upside highly ranked recruits last year with Weston, Ant, Alex. It’s look like we’re now going after proven D1 players and jucos…Say what you want about Kortright but he was on the all freshman team and has had plenty of great games at this level. I think he’ll be similar to Carey last year. He’ll have some good games and some bad games. And the free throw % will hurt us in some key moments. But I don’t expect us to win much. I want to see guys develop and hopefully have a good team in year 3.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago In response to R15:

Instead it's S.o.S.

Now we got Luis.

At least Carey, Weston, and Alex were from P5 teams. Heck, Carey actually started for Boheim. Many games his freshman season, until they decided to pull the plug, they saw something or somethings they didn't like.

When House and Montgomery left their teams, it was a loss. THAT was different. Those teams didn't want them to leave. Heck, Bradley fans are actually pissed Montgomery made "a lateral move".

Quinnipiac pulled a Bassy on this kid. They subtly made it known throughout the season they were moving on. We're doing them a favor taking him off their hands.
I truly don’t understand what you’re talking about…He was 3rd on the team in minutes. He was one of their best players. Maybe he sucks in the A10 but he’s a loss for their team.
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

That’s ok. You be you.
I agree with most people on here that Kortright doesn’t move the needle. I’m disappointed that this is the best point guard we can get… I’m hoping this means the staff is as high on Cam as some of us are.

Where I step in is people like yourself that typically act like the recruits are horrible and have no strengths to their games. We went with the little experience
high upside highly ranked recruits last year with Weston, Ant, Alex. It’s look like we’re now going after proven D1 players and jucos…Say what you want about Kortright but he was on the all freshman team and has had plenty of great games at this level. I think he’ll be similar to Carey last year. He’ll have some good games and some bad games. And the free throw % will hurt us in some key moments. But I don’t expect us to win much. I want to see guys develop and hopefully have a good team in year 3.
I think Montgomery is a terrific signing. If you haven’t noticed they haven’t had a good shooting team since Hurley’s teams. I never said he has no talent. I just think that they need to surround the team with 3-4 three point threats at one time. He obviously has to be a backup if he is shooting 54% from the line as he can’t be in during crunch time. I would rather give both freshman the minutes which they didn’t do last year with the young guys. We are going to the tourney so why not grow the younger players. If it is a Pride we are getting that is a different story. All the videos are always made out to be a players best moments. It falls on Archie so he knows better than us
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Instead it's S.o.S.

Now we got Luis.

He started 10 games you forget to mention.

How about he left because Quinnipiac cut funding for the basketball team and his coach was leaving for nova.

If you think this kid is anything like bassy you have lost your mind. They are totally different players. Every team needs role players
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Losing your mind is a relative concept.

To Stevey.

Well, that's where you and I differ then. I do expect to win. Or at least do everything humanly possible to win.
0 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

To compare players by their FT% and say they are same player is lunacy.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

That’s ok. You be you.

The dude was one assist away from a triple double in one game this year

But yeah he's Bassey 2.0 😂😂😂
1 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Tell me one time you seen bassy or a URi PG recently do this.

I'm not saying he is all a10 to get so bent out of shape from this guy is wild.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Against who though? You fail to mention that.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sevegny, of all the aspects of the game of basketball, dunks interest me the least. They have their place. There are many more aspects of the game that are way more important than the ability to dunk.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Losing your mind is a relative concept.

To Stevey.

Well, that's where you and I differ then. I do expect to win. Or at least do everything humanly possible to win.
We all want to win every year but we’re not there yet. We need to build this program back up. I expect a better season this year but I don’t expect a bid. I want to see this team get better and better as the younger guys gain experience and we go into year 3 confident that we can make some real noise in the conference. Maybe it’ll be this year, if we land Buru I love some of the new pieces Archie brought in.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Instead it's S.o.S.

Now we got Luis.

This is so wrong jcru

No OnE wAnTeD tHeM, the only one I’ll agree w you is Alex

Are you crazy go look at the other two

Go look at Bill Koch’s article for the other two (Carey & Weston) plenty of teams were interested. Your legit knocking down this kid cuz he’s not releasing who calling him and texting him every day cmon man, that’s low

ALSO REMINDER: HIS TEAM BEAT US IN THE RYAN CENTER LAST YEAR AND HE LEAD HIS TEAM IN SCORING IN THAT GAME

it’s not like Quinnipiac was Hartford or Chicago St being a trash independent, they were 3rd in the MAAC, if they were at the bottom I’d probably be more sketchy

And for the 20th time jcru this isn’t Kenny’s recruit

You also act like he was their worst player, led their team is assists and steals and was third on their team in scoring and also started 10 games, I totally understand everyone’s including yourself opinion to be a little worried yes but as someone said above with how bad we were last year some transfers are hesistant to come here
4 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I have a colleague who is a season ticket holder for them. Basically said he had a number of down games, but when he was on his game he was very good
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If they already had Pride and Buru signed sealed and delivered and they were using their very last scholarship on this kid on may 1, I might have been like, ah screw it, they got the job done, no big deal if they want to take a chance on a player.

I think it signals we were not doing well getting a commitment from one of the better point guard prospects. I do not see it affecting Pride one way or the other. Pride will surely be a starter if we add him to the team. Buru would be a starter. This guy will compete with Estevez for PG minutes IMHO. We absolutely needed another point guard. This guy is not a stud but he isn't terrible and if he does not improve drastically from the line you keep him off the floor to finish games.
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

At the end of conference play he started more games then he didn't

Lmao okay yeah to you FT only apparently. And he is good at those other aspects.

Defense... running an offense. Assist to turnover

Hello oooo are you missing what everyone is telling you
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Oh not to mention he probably outplayed our guards in game 1 here last year

15 points 5 rebounds 5 steals 3 assists

Very Bassey like numbers there lol
4 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago This feels too much like a "favor" to someone.

Recruiting is an interesting business. In order to have the kind of connections someone like KJ has, you occassionally have to do someone a favor, like "hey, my boy over here is on the bench at Quinnipiac wasting away. He's much more talented than that. Can you find a place for him over there at Rhode Island?"

Kortright does have some talent, but again, the FT production is a red flag. Because we all know FT production can be improved with a lot of grueling work in the gym, and in 3 years that has not been a priority. What is the point of getting to the free throw line if you can't capitalize on it?

Not to mention he is being billed as a PG, and he's a backup SG.
First I don’t even think it’s Kenny’s recruit, I think it’s Duane’s recruit since he’s from NY

Second yes the FT is a red flag, but if he does come here have Archie put him on the same plan he did for the ish, Jalen and even Bassy, did wonders for them

Third I wouldn’t believe that article if anything he was their backup PG cuz if Dezi got subbed out he was their main ballhandler, wouldn’t say he’s a SG based of one article

Fourth of all a “favor” recruit would be like on the same skill level as Aris Tsourgiannis (king of fouls) who couldn’t even play at D-1 level. I get what your trying to say but jcru but I don’t think it’s that

Is Luis the best PG that we could get, no

But is he the worst option that we could end up with, no

Im fine with dealing with this situation for another year, and im praying to god almighty that the plan is have the staff go full court press on Jalen Dunkley-Distant this fall (4* top 75 recruit 6’7” PG who played w Rory & Foumena at orangeville) and have him or Cam run the show
Dunkley-Distant is not a PG. He is a Small Forward or Wing.
Dang thanks for the update ramster, took a quick look at VC when I was typing this up yesterday and I saw him under the PG spot, but here’s hoping to landing him this summer/fall
0 x