'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

'20 PG Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> URI ---> ???)

Unread post by Dino611 »

Luis Kortright
HT: 6’3”
Wt: 200

Offers in HS:
Qunnipiac (committed)
Iona
St. Bona
Fordham
Manhattan
Hofstra
Bryant
St. Francis BK (RIP)

Transfer interest:
URI (visiting This weekend)
????

Averaged 10.3 pts/game 4.1 boards/game 3.9 Assists/game

Was part of all-MAAC Freshman team in 2020-21 season

Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Re: 20 PG’ Luis Kortright (Qunnipiac —> ??) (URI Visit)

Unread post by Dino611 »

I also realized on Monday I said he was their sixth man I was wrong I was looking at his stats for his freshman year, my apologies

He started in 10 games last year for Qunnipiac

In those 10 games he averaged
12.9 pts/game, 5.4 boards/game, 4.4 assists/game
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I still find it weird that we’re the only team supposedly showing interest.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

I agree with the statement that Archie is very high on Estevez and Kourtright will be a mentor or insurance.

For Kortright:
We are a long way from worrying about ratings and how highly ranked a recruit is

Every team needs pieces even on good teams not everyone is a 5 star

Certainly he looks like he continues to improve and impressed with his pure pg skills

Quinnipiac was better than us

6-3 & 200 lbs. Archie Is looking to add length & strength

It seems like he wants to be a Ram

I have no problem at all if he commits & will actually welcome him.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago I agree with the statement that Archie is very high on Estevez and Kourtright will be a mentor or insurance.

For Kortright:
We are a long way from worrying about ratings and how highly ranked a recruit is

Every team needs pieces even on good teams not everyone is a 5 star

Certainly he looks like he continues to improve and impressed with his pure pg skills

Quinnipiac was better than us

6-3 & 200 lbs. Archie Is looking to add length & strength

It seems like he wants to be a Ram

I have no problem at all if he commits & will actually welcome him.
No one is worrying about ratings… we’re just pointing out that he’s an awful shooter. Not much better than Bassy, who a lot of us were really down on.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

A PG who only shoots 53% from the free throw line is essentially flipping a coin every time they shoot one.

They better have him stand at the half court line, so he doesn't make physical contact with anyone.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He definitely has decent size

Does anyone know if he’s a good defender or not ??
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Maybe a little better than Always Wright. Always Wright has impressive shooting numbers however.
0 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote: 1 year ago A PG who only shoots 53% from the free throw line is essentially flipping a coin every time they shoot one.

They better have him stand at the half court line, so he doesn't make physical contact with anyone.
Stats do not lie. I agree absolutely that % is horrible for anyone especially a pg.. Although you do see teams that have 5 great shooters, that can also defend, pass, rebound , its not often though. Even at the power 6 level. URI is building from the ground up.
It's only the 2nd year of this staff, I may be foolish but I totally trust them and their philosophy.
I understand a message board is for conversation, thoughts and disagreement, but when it comes to recruits or incoming players, there seems to be very strong opinions based on stats and 1 minute clips.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

jcru wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe a little better than Always Wright. Always Wright has impressive shooting numbers however.
Perfect example. Let's look at stats and watch a couple of 3 minute clips , that obviously show the best a player has and we have a decision on who is better
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's better than JUST STATS, Johnny. And reef had asked a question. I tried to answer it.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Gosh, I'm awfully sorry I'm not waving the pom poms on this one.

Please accept my sincerest apology.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago A PG who only shoots 53% from the free throw line is essentially flipping a coin every time they shoot one.

Stats do not lie. I agree absolutely that % is horrible for anyone especially a pg.. Although you do see teams that have 5 great shooters, that can also defend, pass, rebound , its not often though. Even at the power 6 level. URI is building from the ground up.
It's only the 2nd year of this staff, I may be foolish but I totally trust them and their philosophy.
I understand a message board is for conversation, thoughts and disagreement, but when it comes to recruits or incoming players, there seems to be very strong opinions based on stats and 1 minute clips.
The game has changed from when transfers were few and freshmen were the new faces on a team. Now transfers are dominant. So you get a guy with 3 years of stats for 100 or so games. Pretty reliable indicator of what you are going to get - for a 1 or two (Covid bonus year) rental.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am still just lukewarm on him.
I guess he is a decent passer, but nothing really stands out to me.
For a PG his FT% is terrible 55% and his overall shooting isn't very good.
I trust the staff but hope he isn't our best option at PG.
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago

I like always as well but looking at always playing defense is like bray 2.0, a liability so to speak

JUCO defense is very different when you play versus some weak teams

Luis also led quinnipiac in steals so that’s a plus so I believe he can defend
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Same with me I trust the staff , they seem to know what they are doing this off-season
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I still find it weird that we’re the only team supposedly showing interest.
I don’t think we are

Some kids love getting clout on their social media releasing who’s reaching out to them and some will remain quiet

I’ll do some research & reach out to find some other teams that have reached out to him
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I am sure he is a solid player. However having a PG that can't be on the floor at the end of close games is a cardinal sin.
I could not do that to myself If i were the coach. Not sure I am on board with this one.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, if you watched that video, and it's not that long because it's only the plays where each team put points on the scoreboard, Quinnipiac fizzled in the second half and barely scored in the closing minutes. They won't show all of the FT misses in a clip like that, so you can only imagine what happened at the end of that game. Basically proves your point exactly, 12.

Kortright, did have two three point shots, and one was at the end when Iona pulled it out of reach. But again, they aren't going to show any misses, including three point attempts and FT attempts.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Are his free throws fixable ?

Can 72 work with him to improve his FT % ?

That’s all I need to know.

:D
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

No they are not. 3 years in you know what you are buying
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Not sure this signing would help us. Sorry.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

I'm completely fine with Archie bringing on a vet guard like Kortright if he feels Cam can take over by conference play. I agree with others. I worry about his FT shooting. He led Quinnipiac in both steals and assists. He's a good rebounder, defender, and floor general... Although some fans may not appreciate these aspects, coaches recognize their importance.

Also, having a guard that can throw down like this will be fun to watch in person if I finally decide to upgrade my season tickets to floor seats.

I do think Always is a better pure scorer, but Archie may want a true floor general. We do not have that on this team right now.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago No they are not. 3 years in you know what you are buying
Sorry 72, Ramster shot me down just as I was about to call Archie and give you a glowing recommendation.

C’est la vie.

:lol:
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
ramster wrote: 1 year ago No they are not. 3 years in you know what you are buying
Sorry 72, Ramster shot me down just as I was about to call Archie and give you a glowing recommendation.

C’est la vie.

:lol:
Hey, anybody who turned Jimmy Baron into the shooter that he was doesn't need a recommendation. :lol:
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does Archie have any kind of relationship with Baker Dunleavy who coached Luis ? I bet Dunleavy would know him the best
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago I still find it weird that we’re the only team supposedly showing interest.
I don’t think we are

Some kids love getting clout on their social media releasing who’s reaching out to them and some will remain quiet

I’ll do some research & reach out to find some other teams that have reached out to him
Yeah, lmk. I can't find **anything** on Twitter.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
They should sell that jacket he’s wearing to fans.
2 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

It would be interesting to hear what the coaches like about him? Assist/TO ratio?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Probably being able to play defense compared to our starter last year
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
They should sell that jacket he’s wearing to fans.
They (athletics and marketing) should do a lot of things they don’t.
6 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Probably being able to play defense compared to our starter last year
Yeah that be ok play 20 minutes of solid defense a night and any offense we get is gravy
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

This feels too much like a "favor" to someone.

Recruiting is an interesting business. In order to have the kind of connections someone like KJ has, you occassionally have to do someone a favor, like "hey, my boy over here is on the bench at Quinnipiac wasting away. He's much more talented than that. Can you find a place for him over there at Rhode Island?"

Kortright does have some talent, but again, the FT production is a red flag. Because we all know FT production can be improved with a lot of grueling work in the gym, and in 3 years that has not been a priority. What is the point of getting to the free throw line if you can't capitalize on it?

Not to mention he is being billed as a PG, and he's a backup SG.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago This feels too much like a "favor" to someone.

Recruiting is an interesting business. In order to have the kind of connections someone like KJ has, you occassionally have to do someone a favor, like "hey, my boy over here is on the bench at Quinnipiac wasting away. He's much more talented than that. Can you find a place for him over there at Rhode Island?"

Kortright does have some talent, but again, the FT production is a red flag. Because we all know FT production can be improved with a lot of grueling work in the gym, and in 3 years that has not been a priority. What is the point of getting to the free throw line if you can't capitalize on it?

First I don’t even think it’s Kenny’s recruit, I think it’s Duane’s recruit since he’s from NY

Second yes the FT is a red flag, but if he does come here have Archie put him on the same plan he did for the ish, Jalen and even Bassy, did wonders for them

Third I wouldn’t believe that article if anything he was their backup PG cuz if Dezi got subbed out he was their main ballhandler, wouldn’t say he’s a SG based of one article

Fourth of all a “favor” recruit would be like on the same skill level as Aris Tsourgiannis (king of fouls) who couldn’t even play at D-1 level. I get what your trying to say but jcru but I don’t think it’s that

Is Luis the best PG that we could get, no

But is he the worst option that we could end up with, no

Im fine with dealing with this situation for another year, and im praying to god almighty that the plan is have the staff go full court press on Jalen Dunkley-Distant this fall (4* top 75 recruit 6’7” PG who played w Rory & Foumena at orangeville) and have him or Cam run the show
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I was just using an example.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, it wouldn't be for another year, it would be two years.

We've been here before, and not just with Archie after one season. We've had some head scratchers over the years, where the die hard fans on Keaney Blue know the recruit has a certain deficiency to their game, in this case the FT shooting, but the greater fan base doesn't see it until we start playing the games, and then it is like "omg, what were they thinking, this guy is so bad at the line"

My gut says this is one of those. It's not the most horrible situation in the world, but if you want to have a team whose shooting is elevated across the board, you can't really have a weak link in the chain. Hoping someone is going to fix it, you would hope a school on the level of Rhody wouldn't need to take players who need to be "fixed" from the moment they show up.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This kid is not a game changer but I don’t get why some of you are acting like he barely saw the floor and made no impact last season.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It's the kind of impact where you have to take the bad with the good. I believe we call that a "mixed bag". You'll gain in some areas, but hope it doesn't come back to bite you, in real time game situations.

For instance, we had a guy up until last season who had the tendency to lose the ball bouncing it off of his own foot. So, no matter what kind of exciting memorable moments he gave you, you knew the flip side of that was literally going to cost you a few games.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Well, it wouldn't be for another year, it would be two years.

We've been here before, and not just with Archie after one season. We've had some head scratchers over the years, where the die hard fans on Keaney Blue know the recruit has a certain deficiency to their game, in this case the FT shooting, but the greater fan base doesn't see it until we start playing the games, and then it is like "omg, what were they thinking, this guy is so bad at the line"

My gut says this is one of those. It's not the most horrible situation in the world, but if you want to have a team whose shooting is elevated across the board, you can't really have a weak link in the chain. Hoping someone is going to fix it, you would hope a school on the level of Rhody wouldn't need to take players who need to be "fixed" from the moment they show up.
Stop acting like we’re with the big boys jcru, we’ve taken on players every year that need fixes and adjustments, yes everyone on the board wants players like that where there all-conference type level that don’t need fixes, but some of you guys need to come to reality and they’ll chase the money and bright lights instead of coming to us
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

lol, every year we hope will be the year that we don't, however.

I'll go back to my room without supper, because we are not the "big boys" and we don't deserve to have a team with consistent players.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

It would be nice to have a PG with some size. Quick, water bug type lead guards can be fun, but they can also get abused on the defensive end.
If Luis takes care of the ball and plays shut down D, it is a move in the right direction for us.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I knew there was an angle here. It's a favor.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

Good article on Kortright time at QU:
https://quchronicle.com/80311/featured/ ... kortright/
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Why they continue to use a blank canvas as a background for recruits still confuses me.

Use the Ryan Center, Keaney, practice facility, etc.

Show off your facilities.
2 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago This feels too much like a "favor" to someone.

First I don’t even think it’s Kenny’s recruit, I think it’s Duane’s recruit since he’s from NY

Second yes the FT is a red flag, but if he does come here have Archie put him on the same plan he did for the ish, Jalen and even Bassy, did wonders for them

Third I wouldn’t believe that article if anything he was their backup PG cuz if Dezi got subbed out he was their main ballhandler, wouldn’t say he’s a SG based of one article

Fourth of all a “favor” recruit would be like on the same skill level as Aris Tsourgiannis (king of fouls) who couldn’t even play at D-1 level. I get what your trying to say but jcru but I don’t think it’s that

Is Luis the best PG that we could get, no

But is he the worst option that we could end up with, no

Im fine with dealing with this situation for another year, and im praying to god almighty that the plan is have the staff go full court press on Jalen Dunkley-Distant this fall (4* top 75 recruit 6’7” PG who played w Rory & Foumena at orangeville) and have him or Cam run the show
Dunkley-Distant is not a PG. He is a Small Forward or Wing.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Good article on Kortright time at QU:
https://quchronicle.com/80311/featured/ ... kortright/
Good find Cams, thanks for sharing.

Archie may have liked what he saw in Kortright when Quinnipiac beat us at home.
Led them in scoring with 15 pts/ 5 rebs/ 3 assists/ 5 steals.

Like I said earlier, wouldn't be surprised if he commits along with Wright by next week.
I think their game is very different, as I posted earlier.

Granted neither were my top choices, but if the staff wants them, I trust their judgement.
I feel that both are capable of making a positive impact on our team going forward.

After finishing 14th and the A10 being down, I didn't expect us to get some of the more sought-after players available.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Disappointing to say the least. I thought the whole point of letting half the team go was to get better talent. Not Bassy v2.0

Again, I don’t understand why URI always carries a player like this on the roster. You scoff but I say it’s a favor to someone. Bassy was a favor to someone. In this case, KJ takes Kortright, and then hopefully we get another player down the line from Christ the King or this general area or sphere of influence.

Does Quinnipiac have a fan message board? Is anyone from that program the least bit sorry to see this kid go, or is it like Carey and so many others? ie “good luck”
0 x