A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago Current NET (12/16), the A10 is still ranked #8, just behind the MWC.

I am still not a fan of the NET, but I know many here put a lot of credence in it and I guess so does the NCAA.

The A10 now has 8 teams with an NET under 100.
#30 Dayton
#48 St. Joe's
#71 Duquesne
#73 GM
#75 Bonnies
#89 Richmond
#90 UMass
#95 VCU
I cite the NET all the time. It's not because I know it's the best formula or whatever, but the NCAA has made it clear it matters a lot for them, so it makes sense to use it.

When you go on the official NCAA page, it lists four different types of rankings. The AP poll, the Coaches poll, the Top 16 committee ranking, and the NET

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... ated-press
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

VCU is currently 7-5. I previously wasn’t very high on them with Bam at first ineligible and the injury situation with Bairstow. But things can change quickly now that Bam is available and Bairstow just made his long awaited debut scoring 11 points in their last game. VCU could be back with all their talent and make plenty of noise. Even though Dayton still looks to be the best, there are plenty of teams that can contend.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

A10 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings – December 26, 2023
https://www.a10talk.com/2023/12/a10-men ... r-26-2023/

First place votes (in parentheses)
1. Dayton (13)
2. Saint Joseph’s
3. George Mason
4. Duquesne
5. St. Bonaventure
6. VCU
7. George Washington
8. Massachusetts
9. Richmond
10. La Salle
11. Davidson
12. Loyola Chicago
13. Saint Louis
14. Fordham
15. Rhode Island
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Your move Coach.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nowhere to go but up!! :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 4 months ago A10 Men’s Basketball Power Rankings – December 26, 2023
https://www.a10talk.com/2023/12/a10-men ... r-26-2023/

First place votes (in parentheses)
1. Dayton (13)
2. Saint Joseph’s
3. George Mason
4. Duquesne
5. St. Bonaventure
6. VCU
7. George Washington
8. Massachusetts
9. Richmond
10. La Salle
11. Davidson
12. Loyola Chicago
13. Saint Louis
14. Fordham
15. Rhode Island
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Last place as of now unfortunately it’s not wrong
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Going into conference play KenPom ranks the A10 8th, but much closer to the #9 American than #7 Mountain West.

Massey Ratings also has us in 8th between the Mountain West and American
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Ugh, just listened to the A10 podcast. A whole lot of hating on URI, even the fanbase. Said we are all "sad and depressed" and drinking booze to get through this. Also said we are silent on social media which also speaks to our depression.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Who has a more active message board than us? Just because we don't interact with other schools doesn't mean we're inactive
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 3 months ago Ugh, just listened to the A10 podcast. A whole lot of hating on URI, even the fanbase. Said we are all "sad and depressed" and drinking booze to get through this. Also said we are silent on social media which also speaks to our depression.
What fanbase?

Covid and David Cox killed this fanbase (outside of those of us fighting the good fight on here) and we are yet to recover.

Archie, while still one of better coaches in the NCAA - is not a fire and brimstone salesman the way Hurley is. Hurley brought the excitement back from day one, which is how he rolls - but even with that it took 4 years to build the fanbase again.

Archie is closer to the "we'll be good when we're good" and "winning cures all" which is a completely different way to go about it - but he's not wrong.

Point being that in year 2 of a rebuild, our fans are slow in coming back.

In 22 year Ryan Center history, the 3 lowest attended seasons are, in order, Baron's last year, Hurley's first year, and Hurley's 2nd year. Hurley built us up to the point where we had the best attendance ever and a fully built championship program. Cox dropped us back from #1 attendance to #11 by the time he was fired.

By definition then, we're an incredibly fickle fanbase as a whole, and need to be "shown something" before people invest in going to the Ryan Center and paying attention. That's for a couple reasons:

1) Kingston is in the middle of nowhere - for RI - which is where we live and why that matters. There's no bar/restaurant/entertainment within walking distance of the Ryan Center. It's a 30-40 minute drive for a majority of our fanbase in the middle of winter. It's a long walk in a windy field and then a wait in a line outside. Fans need to be really bought in to commit to that.

2) There aren't big games. Add in the distance to travel, and there's not a lot of draw if Rhody isn't "good" - which at this point in a rebuild we're not expected to be. If there's no PC on the home slate, and if the A10 lacks a ranked, name-brand team (i.e. Dayton/VCU), people aren't making the trip.

3) The Ryan Center experience sucks. This has been covered ad hominem, but no WiFi, no replays, shitty food, etc. It's a sub-standard entertainment product when you bring it all together. No one is climbing all 3 of these hurdles when we're not "good" - so the record doesn't matter. We could be 12-1 at this point and ranked, and I'd still expect a half empty building tonight.

All of this means, I don't expect the fanbase to show up for Archie until the year after we get good. Aka if we go to the NCAAs in year 3, expect year four. If we go in year 4, expect year 5. Same as what happened with Hurley.

The year before the 2020 shutdowns was our 2nd best attendance ever. Cox had the keys to the kingdom and everything you could've asked for. Once everyone transferred and we sucked, people never returned to the Ryan Center and stopped paying attention. The only thing that'll bring it back is winning. And not "winning" by beating suckbag teams. Winning against PC, winning against P5's, and beating the top teams in the A10 often.

Until then, this little message board is all that this fanbase has. Cherish it lol.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

And despite all of what Blue Man said, only Dayton, Richmond, Saint Louis, and VCU averaged more fans than we did last year per game
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Put another way, after two terrible years we only needed the hope of having Archie Miller and having PC on our home schedule to average more tickets sold and students attending than Duquesne, Fordham, George Washington, La Salle, Loyola Chicago, and Saint Joseph's can even hold in their gyms
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

No one should listen to a thing A10 Talk puts out.
A bunch of children with little perspective or expertise.
4 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I just listened to a segment...LOL...the "Rhody" insider talking about David Green possibly covering Erik Reynolds. And that our front court has been the only consistent aspect of the team. Like WTF? They are a joke.
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Who has a more active message board than us? Just because we don't interact with other schools doesn't mean we're inactive
Perceptions of URI followers are not really based on reality. URI fans may not be as active on A-10 league fan forums/social media channels but Keaney Blue is routinely one of the most active individual team forums. From my visits of other team sites, only VCU and Dayton might have appreciably more traffic. Another more accurate indicator for fan following is probably attendance. URI has consistently mostly placed either 4th or 5th in conference average attendance for much of the last two decades since the Ryan Center was built. This was even true for many down seasons with poor performing Rhody teams. Some fans of other teams sometimes gauge interest based on fans going to road games and conference tournaments. URI admittedly does not particularly travel well. Most of these games are however not all that close to the bulk of URI fans as the school is on the outer fringe of the league's geographic footprint. My guess however is that URI is probably mid range for other venue travel fans in the A-10.

For comparative purposes look at tonight's opponent St Joe's versus URI. Their forum pre-game thread for tonight's contest as of 4pm has 6 posts and a total of 603 views. The Rhody equivalent here has 51 posts with 1,417 views. They are averaging 2,133 fans per home game while URI is averaging 3,906. URI has them beat by all measures even with Rhody presently having one of its worst seasons while St Joe's is having its best season in several years.
4 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RF1 wrote: 3 months ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 3 months ago Who has a more active message board than us? Just because we don't interact with other schools doesn't mean we're inactive
Perceptions of URI followers are not really based on reality. URI fans may not be as active on A-10 league fan forums/social media channels but Keaney Blue is routinely one of the most active individual team forums. From my visits of other team sites, only VCU and Dayton might have appreciably more traffic. Another more accurate indicator for fan following is probably attendance. URI has consistently mostly placed either 4th or 5th in conference average attendance for much of the last two decades since the Ryan Center was built. This was even true for many down seasons with poor performing Rhody teams. Some fans of other teams sometimes gauge interest based on fans going to road games and conference tournaments. URI admittedly does not particularly travel well. Most of these games are however not all that close to the bulk of URI fans as the school is on the outer fringe of the league's geographic footprint. My guess however is that URI is probably mid range for other venue travel fans in the A-10.

For comparative purposes look at tonight's opponent St Joe's versus URI. Their forum pre-game thread for tonight's contest as of 4pm has 6 posts and a total of 603 views. The Rhody equivalent here has 51 posts with 1,417 views. They are averaging 2,133 fans per home game while URI is averaging 3,906. URI has them beat by all measures even with Rhody presently having one of its worst seasons while St Joe's is having its best season in several years.
I guess this is a good clarifier on my points. I think WE, the Keaney Blue community, are easily one of the most dedicated amongst all mid majors across college basketball.

My larger point is in regards to the "general" crowd. The day of/general public types. Those are the types you need if you're gauging overall fan interest. Those are the people you need to "build" your program with. Those are the people who can be swayed by who we're playing, the fan experience in the building, and if we're good or not.

For the few hundred of us on here? There's no one better or more engaged come hell or high water. And I do mean that. None of our complaints about the RyFy, replays, the schedule, the performance, or anything matter to us. We're going to be there because we're sick individuals who love this team and I love you all despite when I disagree with your opinions from time to time.

The couple hundred of us that are here no matter the season and how it's going are either bitching or celebrating at full throat. I don't think a lot of fanbases at the mid major level have that.

But the overall experience needs to be fixed, or the team has to be good for a season or two to get the general population back in Kingston.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Just watching La Salle @ Fordham and SLU @ GMU

Maybe the first time that I can remember where the A-10 doesn't have any truly awful teams.

Anyone else share that sentiment?

Arguably Fordham is the worst, but they still aren't horrible. Usually there are one or two 20+ loss, truly awful A-10 teams. Not happening this year.

Unfortunately for the rest of the A-10, two of its weakest teams, Rhody and SLU are about to tear the rest of the league down lol

Both can be top 5 in the league if they are both fully healthy.

We just got our best player eligible and if Bilau ever gets back we are going to kick serious ass.

SLU has had a ton of injuries and got that Ezewiro guy eligible. Ezewiro is a stud and when they get Sincere Parker back they will be a totally different team.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Blue Man wrote: 3 months ago
RF1 wrote: 3 months ago

I guess this is a good clarifier on my points. I think WE, the Keaney Blue community, are easily one of the most dedicated amongst all mid majors across college basketball.

My larger point is in regards to the "general" crowd. The day of/general public types. Those are the types you need if you're gauging overall fan interest. Those are the people you need to "build" your program with. Those are the people who can be swayed by who we're playing, the fan experience in the building, and if we're good or not.

For the few hundred of us on here? There's no one better or more engaged come hell or high water. And I do mean that. None of our complaints about the RyFy, replays, the schedule, the performance, or anything matter to us. We're going to be there because we're sick individuals who love this team and I love you all despite when I disagree with your opinions from time to time.

The couple hundred of us that are here no matter the season and how it's going are either bitching or celebrating at full throat. I don't think a lot of fanbases at the mid major level have that.

But the overall experience needs to be fixed, or the team has to be good for a season or two to get the general population back in Kingston.
Joined the projo board I think in 2008. Didn't realize URI had a fanbase online back then. I agree BlueMan, we have a good group here. Very dedicated group of fans. Very knowledgeable as well. It's a great forum with passionate fans. GO RHODY!!!!!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago Just watching La Salle @ Fordham and SLU @ GMU

Maybe the first time that I can remember where the A-10 doesn't have any truly awful teams.

Arguably Fordham is the worst, but they still aren't horrible. Usually there are one or two 20+ loss, truly awful A-10 teams. Not happening this year.

Unfortunately for the rest of the A-10, two of its weakest teams, Rhody and SLU are about to tear the rest of the league down lol

We just got our best player eligible and if Bilau ever gets back we are going to kick serious ass.

SLU has had a ton of injuries and got that Ezewiro guy eligible. Ezewiro is a stud and when they get Sincere Parker back they will be a totally different team.
Agree there no truly terrible teams in the A10.

Fordham was still without one of their top players and leading scorer (F) Josh Rivera.

Not holding my breath on Bilau and still don't know how much of a contribution he will make.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago

Fordham was still without one of their top players and leading scorer (F) Josh Rivera.

Not holding my breath on Bilau and still don't know how much of a contribution he will make.
Well if he can come back and play he will obviously make a pretty big impact. Unless he's super limited.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

And I'd rather have Fuchs on the floor instead anyway...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 3 months ago

And I'd rather have Fuchs on the floor instead anyway...
I'd rather have them both available and playing

Why are people so blind to how good Bilau is? Truly bizarre.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I don't think Jersey is blind to how good Bilau is.

He was merely trying questioning how much of a contribution a gimpy, clearly not healthy, Bilau would make.

Not at all bizarre.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree and I think we all noticed that in the OOC , the bottom is so much better
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 3 months ago I don't think Jersey is blind to how good Bilau is.

He was merely trying questioning how much of a contribution a gimpy, clearly not healthy, Bilau would make.

Not at all bizarre.
Why even say that though when I said IF*** he is healthy?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

As Bill Parcells made famous, "The best ability is availability." It is now two years of Bilau ranging from out, to day to day, to limited minutes, to healthy. It's kind of hard to develop a rotation or chemistry with your teammates if you're yoyoing like that. It sucks, and it's unfortunate and unlucky. But if you're projecting what URI is going to do the rest of this year and next year, you probably don't take him into account as a result.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

True I think we have to go in with the mindset that he won’t be available and when he does play just hope he’s able to contribute
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 3 months ago

Not at all bizarre.
That is a big "if" PRT.
I mean now in his 5th year of college how much has he really done.

Yes we have seen brief glimpses, but can you really depend on him?

I would love to see him come back and make a significant consistent impact, but I wouldn't make book on it.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 months ago True I think we have to go in with the mindset that he won’t be available and when he does play just hope he’s able to contribute
But, I'm not sure he's better than Fuchs, even when he is in there...
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not at all bizarre.
That is a big "if" PRT.

I would love to see him come back and make a significant consistent impact, but I wouldn't make book on it.
What do you mean by how much has he really done? Whenever he has played in a game for us he has been our best big man every single time. Heaven forbid I vocalize my desire to see him play for us again this year!

Um IF he is healthy enough to give us minutes then no shit you can depend on him? What do you mean? If he gets hurt again then he just goes back on the bench and we roll on.

Why am I not allowed to say "if we get Bilau back" without people bringing up the obvious? Yeah of course he's had injury problems and who knows if he will be able to contribute the rest of the year. Very aware of that.

I'm simply stating how awesome it would be if we can get him back on the team good lord.

Okay, from now on I will dare not mention Josophat Bilau.

Bilau doesn't exist from now on. I won't bother you guys with anymore speculation. My apologies!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago True I think we have to go in with the mindset that he won’t be available and when he does play just hope he’s able to contribute
But, I'm not sure he's better than Fuchs, even when he is in there...
Different type of players and Bilau was far and away better than Fuchs until the last two games.

But again, pardon me for being excited about the potential of our team if Bilau is able to get back on the court for us.

He is irrelevant, he shall not be named again. He does not exist. Speculation is not allowed.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

That is a big "if" PRT.

What do you mean by how much has he really done? Whenever he has played in a game for us he has been our best big man every single time. Heaven forbid I vocalize my desire to see him play for us again this year!

Um IF he is healthy enough to give us minutes then no shit you can depend on him? What do you mean? If he gets hurt again then he just goes back on the bench and we roll on.

Why am I not allowed to say "if we get Bilau back" without people bringing up the obvious? Yeah of course he's had injury problems and who knows if he will be able to contribute the rest of the year. Very aware of that.

I'm simply stating how awesome it would be if we can get him back on the team good lord.

Okay, from now on I will dare not mention Josophat Bilau.

Bilau doesn't exist from now on. I won't bother you guys with anymore speculation. My apologies!
No need to be so defensive PRT.
We are all rooting for Bilau, but who knows how much of an immediate impact he will make once he returns.
It is also no longer obvious to me that he is or will be our best big.

I was just questioning his ability to stay healthy and being able to contribute on a regular basis.
Once he does come back how long will it take him to get in game shape and will his body hold up.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Dayton UMass tomorrow ! Keep me posted I’m going to watch professional football!
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

reef wrote: 3 months ago Dayton UMass tomorrow ! Keep me posted I’m going to watch professional football!
Frank Martin and Anthony Grant extremely close friends.
https://www.al.com/sports/2012/11/antho ... an_it.html

"Frank was, I would call him the fifth option out of four options in the offense, but yeah, we were playing a fall league game, and he filled the break," Grant said. "I said, listen, if Frank's going to run that hard to fill the lane, I'm going to give it to him, and I gave it to him, and the scream that he let out let me know that I shouldn't have given it to him. That was the end of him filling the break." (Note: Martin broke his ankle)

Grant and Martin got started in coaching at about the same time and in the same place -- in the late 1980s at their high school alma mater, serving as assistants for Miami Senior High coach Marcos "Shaky" Rodriguez. Grant said that his friendship with Martin goes far beyond basketball, however.

"A friend is probably not a strong enough term -- more like a relative," Grant said. "He was at my wedding. He knows all of my children. We worked together for several years and have shared so many experiences.

Martin summed it up this way:

"I don't like competing against him."
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 3 months ago Dayton UMass tomorrow ! Keep me posted I’m going to watch professional football!

"Frank was, I would call him the fifth option out of four options in the offense, but yeah, we were playing a fall league game, and he filled the break," Grant said. "I said, listen, if Frank's going to run that hard to fill the lane, I'm going to give it to him, and I gave it to him, and the scream that he let out let me know that I shouldn't have given it to him. That was the end of him filling the break." (Note: Martin broke his ankle)

Grant and Martin got started in coaching at about the same time and in the same place -- in the late 1980s at their high school alma mater, serving as assistants for Miami Senior High coach Marcos "Shaky" Rodriguez. Grant said that his friendship with Martin goes far beyond basketball, however.

"A friend is probably not a strong enough term -- more like a relative," Grant said. "He was at my wedding. He knows all of my children. We worked together for several years and have shared so many experiences.

"Shaky"... Nice. An underused nickname imo.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Thanks for sharing I had no idea they went to the same high school !
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

AP Top 25 out today Dayton #26 with 126 votes

Big East Teams in Top 25
4. UCONN
11. Marquette
22. Creighton

Mountain West Teams in Top 25
17. Colorado State
19. San Diego State
20. Utah State

Big East and Mountain West each with 5 teams in the Top 35 in NET

NET Big East

7. UCONN
14. Creighton
16. Marquette
33. St John's
34. Villanova

52. Xavier
57. PC
63. Butler
73. Seton Hall
213. Georgetown
287. Depaul

NET Mountain West
19. Colorado State
21. San Diego State
25. Utah State
30. Nevada
35. New Mexico

70. Boise State
112. UNLV
177. San Jose State
192. Wyoming
233. Air Force
237. Fresno State
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Duquesne is off to a very disappointing A10 start; they better turn it around fast.
This was supposed to be the break-thru season for Dambrot and the Dukes.
They have 7 players in their last season of eligibility: Grant, Clark, Mahorcic, Williams, Savrasov, and the Drame twins.
They do have some young talent, but next year will be the start of another rebuild, will HC Dambrot be around for it?

To me Dayton does look beatable.
They have a stud in Holmes, but he is their only Alpha.
This isn't like the 19-20 team that had Obi and Crutcher.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Duquesne being Duquesne
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Duquesne is off to a very disappointing A10 start; they better turn it around fast.
They have 7 players in their last season of eligibility: Grant, Clark, Mahorcic, Williams, Savrasov, and the Drame twins.
They do have some young talent, but next year will be the start of another rebuild, will HC Dambrot be around for it?

Crutcher....where is that dude these days?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 3 months ago Duquesne is off to a very disappointing A10 start; they better turn it around fast.

Birmingham Squadron of the 31 Team G-League
He is averaging about 29 ppg
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

He is averaging about 29 ppg
I think 19.7 pts (42% 3PT) and 5 assists
They are affiliated with the New Orleans Pelicans.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

ramster wrote: 3 months ago

He is averaging about 20 ppg
I think 19.7 pts (42% 3PT) and 5 assists
They are affiliated with the New Orleans Pelicans.
I looked it up when I listed it but I mistyped the 20 as 29. You get what you pay for
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Comin' for you Dayton
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Hey A-10 here we come……
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

BlueMan said 12-6 conference ! He looking good now !
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Next two games on the road could be tough, but after that we really got a solid chance in every game until March.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 3 months ago Next two games on the road could be tough, but after that we really got a solid chance in every game until March.
Dayton will be very tough

Bonnies not lookin too hot after losing to Fordham lol
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Tied for first. Not too shabby.
4 x