A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 2 months ago
bigappleram wrote: 2 months ago

Pitino got Jaiden Glover from the Patrick School for next season. A solid #69 Ranked Pick up and showed Pitino's ability to keep top players in NYC
I would not count Pitino out of the Tournament yet, still lot of basketball yet to play. Last night was a tough loss for St John's and a good win for PC - both bubble teams. If only we had taken Pitino 6 years ago :(
Definitely not counting him out and Pitino teams are almost always playing their best in Feb/March. But there were many people who thought he would just roll in there, assemble a roster in a couple months and then shoot straight to the top tier of the Big East. After all it was Pitinio, NYC and good NIL $$$ resources. $$$ can't buy connectedness, chemistry, effort/intensity...and all are required for a winning program.

Looking at the NET which includes performance for OOC and for BE to date.......

3 games are against the bottom 2 teams with 2 vs Georgetown and 1 at DePaul
Seton Hall @ UBS Arena on Long Island
Creighton in MSG
Butler on the road

Potential to go 4-2 and even 5-1 with those remaining games and optimistically even 6-0 is within reach as only Creighton has a higher NET than St John's of the 6 remaining games and that game is at MSG.

St John's is 5th in BE in NET but 5 teams between NET 39 and NET 58. A lot can happen in the next 4 weeks and then the BE Tournament!!

Team / NET/ (BE Record)
1.UCONN - 4 (12-1)
2.Marquette - 10 (10-3)
3.Creighton - 15 (9-5)
4.Villanova - 39 (6-7)
5.St John's - 48 (6-8)
6.Butler - 50 (7-7)
7.Xavier - 51 (7-6)
8.PC - 58 (7-7)
9.Seton Hall - 79 (8-5)
10.Georgetown - 199 (1-12)
11.Depaul - 316 (0-12)

Sun Feb 18 5pm vs Seton Hall at UBS Arena 5pm
Wed Feb 21 7pm @ Georgetown
Sun Feb 25 12pm vs Creighton MSG
Wed Feb 28 8:30pm @ Butler
Tue Mar 5 9pm @ DePaul
Sat Mar 9 12pm vs Georgetown MSG
8 NET top 58 be interesting to see how many teams dance
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Conference standing probabilities for URI as of 2-15-2024:
Record 8-10
Seed 10 (PIG)
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Anything can happen in the A10T, it is wide open.
My guess is that Dayton doesn't win the A10T and gets an at-large, giving the conference 2 bids.

Who would have guessed that on 2/22 Loyola and Richmond would be tied for 1st in the A10.
Loyola finished dead last in 22-23 their first season in the conference.
Richmond finished 11th last season and pre-season predicted 11th again in 23-24.

Both teams did add some nice pieces in the portal, but they also retained several core players from the previous season.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI has pretty much firmed up the probability that it will play in the first day PIG games at the A-10 Tournament. Still battling it out with the other conference dregs for final seeds 10-15. The standings with seedings as of this morning 02-22-2024:

ATLANTIC TEN CURRENT STANDINGS AND SEEDINGS
1. Richmond 11-2*
2. Loyola Chicago 11-2*
3. Dayton 11-3
4. VCU 9-4
5. Massachusetts 8-6
6. George Mason 7-6
7. St. Bonaventure 7-7**
8. Saint Joseph’s 7-7**
9. Duquesne 6-7
10. Rhode Island 5-8***
11. Davidson 5-8***
12. Fordham 4-9
13. La Salle 4-10
14. George Washington 3-10
15. Saint Louis 2-11
* Richmond beat Loyola Chicago
** St. Bonaventure beat Saint Joseph’s
*** Rhode Island beat Davidson

URI's Remaining Conference schedule:
@LaSalle
@VCU
St Louis
George Mason
@Fordham
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rhody Sody
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody Sody »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago URI has pretty much firmed up the probability that it will play in the first day PIG games at the A-10Tournament. Still battling it out with the other conference dregs for final seeds 10-15. The standings with seedings as of this morning 02-22-2024:

1. Richmond 11-2*
2. Loyola Chicago 11-2*
3. Dayton 11-3
4. VCU 9-4
5. Massachusetts 8-6
6. George Mason 7-6
7. St. Bonaventure 7-7**
8. Saint Joseph’s 7-7**
9. Duquesne 6-7
10. Rhode Island 5-8***
11. Davidson 5-8***
12. Fordham 4-9
13. La Salle 4-10
15. Saint Louis 2-11

@LaSalle
@VCU
St Louis
George Mason
@Fordham
4-1 over the last 5 and a win in the a10s. I’ll consider that a decent improvement over last year. 3-2 worst case is a push, anything less and I will be disappointed in the YOY improvement from Archie’s program. Hopefully they show some life to closeout the season.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhody Sody wrote: 2 months ago
RF1 wrote: 2 months ago URI has pretty much firmed up the probability that it will play in the first day PIG games at the A-10Tournament. Still battling it out with the other conference dregs for final seeds 10-15. The standings with seedings as of this morning 02-22-2024:

1. Richmond 11-2*
2. Loyola Chicago 11-2*
3. Dayton 11-3
4. VCU 9-4
5. Massachusetts 8-6
6. George Mason 7-6
7. St. Bonaventure 7-7**
8. Saint Joseph’s 7-7**
9. Duquesne 6-7
10. Rhode Island 5-8***
11. Davidson 5-8***
12. Fordham 4-9
13. La Salle 4-10
15. Saint Louis 2-11

@LaSalle
@VCU
St Louis
George Mason
@Fordham
4-1 over the last 5 and a win in the a10s. I’ll consider that a decent improvement over last year. 3-2 worst case is a push, anything less and I will be disappointed in the YOY improvement from Archie’s program. Hopefully they show some life to closeout the season.

I think the exact opposite record is far more likely. Would think 1-4 or 2-3 at best.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago

1. Richmond 11-2*
2. Loyola Chicago 11-2*
3. Dayton 11-3
4. VCU 9-4
5. Massachusetts 8-6
6. George Mason 7-6
7. St. Bonaventure 7-7**
8. Saint Joseph’s 7-7**
9. Duquesne 6-7
10. Rhode Island 5-8***
11. Davidson 5-8***
12. Fordham 4-9
13. La Salle 4-10
15. Saint Louis 2-11

@LaSalle
@VCU
St Louis
George Mason
@Fordham

I think the exact opposite record is far more likely. Would think 1-4 or 2-3 at best.
After another loss, that’s what I am thinking, RF1. There is no indication that this team is going to suddenly turn things around and finish strong, imho.

It’s not impossible we could finish strong but not very likely. This losing is really frustrating.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Anything can happen in the A10T, it is wide open.
My guess is that Dayton doesn't win the A10T and gets an at-large, giving the conference 2 bids.

Who would have guessed that on 2/22 Loyola and Richmond would be tied for 1st in the A10.
Richmond finished 11th last season and pre-season predicted 11th again in 23-24.

Both teams did add some nice pieces in the portal, but they also retained several core players from the previous season.

Ken Pom predicted Loyola 3rd and Barttorvik had Loyola 2nd in preseason. You were probably highest on Loyola among KB posters 77, but not as high as those 2 prognosticators

Pretty amazing to go from 15th to tied for 1st this late in the season!!

Richmond has been the biggest positive surprise among the prognosticators.
And UMass doing well

Still 5 games to go

Should be a great A10 Tourney. Not often you get it this wide open.

IMG_1430.png
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago Anything can happen in the A10T, it is wide open.

Ken Pom predicted Loyola 3rd and Barttorvik had Loyola 2nd in preseason. You were probably highest on Loyola among KB posters 77, but not as high as those 2 prognosticators

Pretty amazing to go from 15th to tied for 1st this late in the season!!

Richmond has been the biggest positive surprise among the prognosticators.
And UMass doing well

Still 5 games to go

Should be a great A10 Tourney. Not often you get it this wide open.

IMG_1430.png
I did think Loyola would be much improved and felt they would finish above us (I was blasted on the board for that) and thought they could finish in the top half.
But even I am very surprised of where they are right now.
They will lose a lot after this season, but Valentine has a strong recruiting class coming in.

Richmond had a good starting frontcourt with Quinn and Bigelow returning, but the addition of the 2 All-Conference transfers King and Hunt really made them solid.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 2 months ago

After another loss, that’s what I am thinking, RF1. There is no indication that this team is going to suddenly turn things around and finish strong, imho.

It’s not impossible we could finish strong but not very likely. This losing is really frustrating.
As mediocre as our program has been, relatively speaking, we really aren't accustomed to this much losing.

Four straight utterly irrelevant depressing seasons in a row since 19-20. Even Cox's first year had some success with that run at the end of the year into the A-10 semis...four straight seasons of being much worse than an 18-15 underclassmen laden Cox team. As up and down as our program has been, we aren't used to FOUR straight awful seasons around here. We have five losing seasons from 81-82 to 85-86. This will be four straight for the second worst stretch in our history. It's just draining....

Our four game winning streak earlier in the year was the most success we have had in four years 😂😭
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 2 months ago

As mediocre as our program has been, relatively speaking, we really aren't accustomed to this much losing.

Four straight utterly irrelevant depressing seasons in a row since 19-20. Even Cox's first year had some success with that run at the end of the year into the A-10 semis...four straight seasons of being much worse than an 18-15 underclassmen laden Cox team. As up and down as our program has been, we aren't used to FOUR straight awful seasons around here. We have five losing seasons from 81-82 to 85-86. This will be four straight for the second worst stretch in our history. It's just draining....

Our four game winning streak earlier in the year was the most success we have had in four years 😂😭
True PRT, this 4-year stretch is the worst in recent years.
That certainly doesn't help the cause for fan support.

Archie really needs to turn things around, tired of excuses.

Under Dan, I felt confident we were going to turn the corner.
Those teams even when losing did seem to be together as a group and gave a strong effort.
And I always felt there was a strong bond between the players and the staff.

Not sure what to think right now.
3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

In 25 years, URI has been to 2 NCAAT's. It's fucking brutal being a fan of this team.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 2 months ago In 25 years, URI has been to 2 NCAAT's. It's fucking brutal being a fan of this team.
Try being a fan of the Knicks, Giants, Yankees, and Nebraska we are used to the misery.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 2 months ago
theblueram wrote: 2 months ago In 25 years, URI has been to 2 NCAAT's. It's fucking brutal being a fan of this team.
Try being a fan of the Knicks, Giants, Yankees, and Nebraska we are used to the misery.
Misery?!

Giants 4 Super Bowls including two over New England!

And if you graduated in 77, you’ve seen a billion Yankees World Series championships!

Nebraska football 5 national titles from 1970-1997!

Knicks two titles in the 1970s!
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago
Misery?!

Giants two Super Bowls over New England!

And if you graduated in 77, you’ve seen a billion Yankees World Series championships!

Nebraska football 5 national titles from 1970-1997!

Knicks two titles in the 1970s!
So long ago, seems like ages. :)

I guess we were spoiled back then.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

There is a different kind of misery when you are historically great and then fall off like Nebraska.

Being mediocre is probably worse overall though. Especially when we finally built something special and it was completely destroyed in two freaking years.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good post, PRT.

I don’t know if this applies to others here, but I think what makes things even more frustrating to me are the changes going on in the sport while we are irrelevant run. The frustration just piles on. And I am having doubts that we - the University, Athletic Dept, the conference, - are up to adapting to the changes. Hopefully, my doubts aren’t realistic and are worse due to the losing.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Those teams even when losing did seem to be together as a group and gave a strong effort.

I've pretty much just moved on to next year. This year has been very difficult, especially because we have shown glimpses of a good team, only to follow each glimpse with a horrible collapse.

For this year you just want to finish as strong as you can. Don't lose out, win a few more games. Almost feels like we can't afford to just lose out. Doesn't mean we couldn't completely turn it around all together next year, but it feels like Archie needs to notch 2 or 3 more in the win column. You want SOME success going into next year. If the team just totally gives up and we reach 20+ losses then we are in some pretty morbid territory. Arch can't let that happen, there is no reason we should let that happen. We have wok 5 league games, there are plenty of teams we can beat and we've proven that. If we lose out, it feels like there will be another max exodus and there would be absolutely no reason to think this thing will pan out with Arch.

My goals are

Goal 1. Win some more games to finish the year

Goal 2. Retain a solid core from this roster.

Goal 3. Make sure you keep Hammond and Farrell signed

Goal 4. Fill your needs with the right portal players.

Retaining the right amount of players is an absolute MUST. I'm pretty sure every single good team in America has retained a solid core of guys from the year prior. We brought in 11 guys and now we literally have ONE player from last season actually playing games. Recipe for disaster, especially when guys availability has been all over the place.

Bring guys back, add the right pieces and we can do a complete 180. Happens all the time in college basketball. That's the HOPE.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I've pretty much just moved on to next year. This year has been very difficult, especially because we have shown glimpses of a good team, only to follow each glimpse with a horrible collapse.

For this year you just want to finish as strong as you can. Don't lose out, win a few more games. Almost feels like we can't afford to just lose out. Doesn't mean we couldn't completely turn it around all together next year, but it feels like Archie needs to notch 2 or 3 more in the win column. You want SOME success going into next year. If the team just totally gives up and we reach 20+ losses then we are in some pretty morbid territory. Arch can't let that happen, there is no reason we should let that happen. We have wok 5 league games, there are plenty of teams we can beat and we've proven that. If we lose out, it feels like there will be another max exodus and there would be absolutely no reason to think this thing will pan out with Arch.

My goals are

Retaining the right amount of players is an absolute MUST. I'm pretty sure every single good team in America has retained a solid core of guys from the year prior. We brought in 11 guys and now we literally have ONE player from last season actually playing games. Recipe for disaster, especially when guys availability has been all over the place.

Bring guys back, add the right pieces and we can do a complete 180. Happens all the time in college basketball. That's the HOPE.
Good post PRT, I feel the same way.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow hard to believe that stretch has been as bad maybe cuz we were coming off the back to back nCAAS instead of the 19 year drought
Safe to say next year is a pretty big year for us I would hate to think of another sub .500
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Not sure about that...as a Giants fan, I wish they were better, of course, but those last two Super Bowl wins are still gold for Jints fans living in the New England area ;)
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

My goals are

I am looking forward to next year, too...I'll be saving a good chunk of change with more free evenings.
Roster stability has its limits, I think. This year's roster flip (let me get out my clown letters) HAD TO happen.
If we had kept 12 players from last year and only added 2...I think the team would be even worse than it is now
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I was high on the guys we brought in but they never seemed to mesh together and the results are what they are , hopefully the next guys we bring in are an upgrade
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago
Not sure about that...as a Giants fan, I wish they were better, of course, but those last two Super Bowl wins are still gold for Jints fans living in the New England area ;)
You must admit the years since then have been pretty ugly overall and we went through several HC's. :(
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 2 months ago

You must admit the years since then have been pretty ugly overall and we went through several HC's. :(
Yep, wicked ugly...but...living in Patriots' country...2008 and 2012 are still awesome, and it keeps the Pats fans in check.
You see a guy with a Pats hat and say something to him, he asks what your team is, you tell him, he groans, you smile. At least it's something...
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

reef wrote: 2 months ago I was high on the guys we brought in but they never seemed to mesh together and the results are what they are , hopefully the next guys we bring in are an upgrade
This team seems to have little or no chemistry. The bad apples, whoever they are, need to go, no matter the talent. Those types of players are a cancer that eats away at team chemistry and performance. Despite all that, we need to give Archie a couple more years; what choice is there really, start from scratch yet again? This program needs to rebound pretty soon or risk fading into mind-major obscurity.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

UCH21377 wrote: 2 months ago
reef wrote: 2 months ago I was high on the guys we brought in but they never seemed to mesh together and the results are what they are , hopefully the next guys we bring in are an upgrade
This team seems to have little or no chemistry. The bad apples, whoever they are, need to go, no matter the talent. Those types of players are a cancer that eats away at team chemistry and performance. Despite all that, we need to give Archie a couple more years; what choice is there really, start from scratch yet again? This program needs to rebound pretty soon or risk fading into mind-major obscurity.
Agree, chemistry is a big issue that and the inability to defend , Arch has his work cut out to fix this !
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Has it been mention that Joe Lunardi has Richmond and Dayton in the field of 64
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 2 months ago Has it been mention that Joe Lunardi has Richmond and Dayton in the field of 64
He has Richmond as the AQ.
Dayton an at-large #5 seed.
0 x
JimSidd
Art Stephenson

Unread post by JimSidd »

rjv wrote: 2 months ago Has it been mention that Joe Lunardi has Richmond and Dayton in the field of 64
I don’t think Richmond gets in without winning the A10 tournament. Their NET ranking is 70 and their win against Dayton is their only Quad 1 win. A win against VCU and reaching the A10 finals and then maybe they’re in the conversation.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

JimSidd wrote: 2 months ago
I don’t think Richmond gets in without winning the A10 tournament. Their NET ranking is 70 and their win against Dayton is their only Quad 1 win. A win against VCU and reaching the A10 finals and then maybe they’re in the conversation.
Yes, Richmond may have to run the table regular season and get to the finals to have a shot for an at-large.
That would be a long shot indeed.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

URI's NET rank dropped to #201 after the thrashing by LaSalle. The win enabled the Explorers to jump ahead of the Rams to #195 (had been #207). Rhody is now just barely ahead of #203 GW and #216 St Louis in the A-10 NET rankings. This is very similar to last year's final NET numbers for the league as only A-10 member Loyola was behind URI.

Anyone that been hoping to see improvement and upward momentum this season for the program must be surely disappointed. URI presently seems to be in a holding pattern of suck with things showing little signs of change.

NET Rankings Link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
Last edited by RF1 2 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 2 months ago URI's NET rank dropped to #201 after the thrashing by LaSalle. The win enabled the Explorers to jump ahead of the Rams to #195 (had been #207). Rhody is now just barely ahead of #203 GW and #216 St Louis in the A-10 NET rankings. This is very similar to last year's final NET numbers for the league as only A-10 member Loyola was behind URI.

Anyone that been hoping to see improvement and upward momentum this season for the program must be surely disappointed. URI presently seems to be a holding pattern of suck with things showing little signs of change.

NET Rankings Link:
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketbal ... t-rankings
Not what we were hoping for.

Both Johnson and Buchanan have missed the last few games for GW and Sincere Parker is injured again for SLU, missing the last game.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Loyola with a single Top 25 vote.
0 x
Go Rhody
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody15 wrote: 2 months ago Loyola with a single Top 25 vote.
And still only 93 in the Net ratings. Obviously, Net rankings have some big issues. Is it the NCAA who does the Net rankings?
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

JimSidd wrote: 2 months ago

Yes, Richmond may have to run the table regular season and get to the finals to have a shot for an at-large.
That would be a long shot indeed.
The way Loyola is playing now, they should be in the field !
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

McRam wrote: 2 months ago
And still only 93 in the Net ratings. Obviously, Net rankings have some big issues. Is it the NCAA who does the Net rankings?
The AP poll has 10X the amount of issues than the NET does.

There’s a Twitter account that tweets out each week poll voters ridiculous mistakes and rankings.

With all the metrics there are now the AP Poll is basically meaningless.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Does this make sense?

Example the AAC:
South Florida NET #84, 1st 14-1
FAU NET #37, 2nd 11-4
SMU NET #43, 5th 10-5
Memphis NET #79, 6th 9-6.

South Florida alone in 1st place by far, has beaten those other 3 teams mentioned above.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Does this make sense?

Example the AAC:
FAU NET #37, 2nd 11-4
SMU NET #43, 5th 10-5

South Florida alone in 1st place by far, has beaten those other 3 teams mentioned above.
Another good discussion post, Jersey. Thank you.

I say no, it doesn’t make sense because they are very likely a much better team today than they were in the OOC portion of the season. And the reverse may apply to the teams you listed from AAC.

Teams do and can improve during the season. Teams can also get worse.

That indicates at least one blind spot in the NET, imho. The NET appears to not provide enough weight to improvement as the season progresses. But, I haven’t studied the equation used to formulate the NET either.

I don’t have much faith in the NCAAT Committee - which is made up of a majority of P5 voices - to fix the blind spot in favor of USF or Loyola. I even have my doubts they will do it for Richmond.

There has to be a fairer system. How about proving it on a neutral court. Let these teams play bubble P5’s on a neutral court in a play-in pre-tourney round to prove who belongs in the NCAAT.

There’s a novel idea: Let the bubble type teams and teams like USF, Richmond, Loyola prove their NCAAT worthiness on the court before the NCAAT 1st round to correct blind spots in the NET.

I am confident the NCAA can figure out a way to fit in several games between the end of conf tourneys and the start of the NCAAT. They already do it in Dayton. Expand the play-in teams invited to Dayton.

But then, why would anyone associated with the P5 agree to that. It only cuts against their greed and leverage to tilt the table in their favor.

Ooph. I don’t like much of anything right now. All this losing is making me cranky.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Does this make sense?

Example the AAC:
FAU NET #37, 2nd 11-4
SMU NET #43, 5th 10-5

Another good discussion post, Jersey. Thank you.

I say no, it doesn’t make sense because they are very likely a much better team today than they were in the OOC portion of the season. And the reverse may apply to the teams you listed from AAC.

Teams do and can improve during the season. Teams can also get worse.

That indicates at least one blind spot in the NET, imho. The NET appears to not provide enough weight to improvement as the season progresses. But, I haven’t studied the equation used to formulate the NET either.

I don’t have much faith in the NCAAT Committee - which is made up of a majority of P5 voices - to fix the blind spot in favor of USF or Loyola. I even have my doubts they will do it for Richmond.

There has to be a fairer system. How about proving it on a neutral court. Let these teams play bubble P5’s on a neutral court in a play-in pre-tourney round to prove who belongs in the NCAAT.

There’s a novel idea. Let the bubble type teams and teams like USF, Richmond, Loyola prove their NCAAT worthiness on the court before the NCAAT 1st round.

I am confident they can figure out a way to fit in several extra games between the end of conf tourneys and the start of the NCAAT. They already do it in Dayton.

Ooph. All this losing is making me cranky.

That’s a novel idea. Prove it on the court.
The NET misses the mark on a few things, how the team is trending toward the end of the season.
Also injuries and if certain key players weren't available in some of their loses.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Does this make sense?

Example the AAC:
FAU NET #37, 2nd 11-4
SMU NET #43, 5th 10-5

Yeah that’s a good example 77, USF 14-1 in conference and really not close to an @ large
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

whatever, get that bf outta the conference, then Rhody can finish no worse than 13 every year.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think Loyola is having a really nice year, but they're 0-2 in Q1, 3-3 in Q2, 16-2 in Q3+4. Their strength of schedule overall is OK at 114 to 130, depending on the metric you look at, but they oddly reflect the A-10 overall. Meaning, a bunch of good or pretty good wins and not a ton of awful losses, but nothing marquee either.

They played some decent teams tough in the OOC, but their best wins were against Harvard (179), Boston College (88) and Central Michigan (254). They also have their toughest A-10 stretch right now. If they win out in the A-10 regular season, that would mean wins over Dayton, Davidson and St. Bonaventure (and La Salle), and that might get them in the 50s or 60s of NET. But, I think that would be really tough for them, and they probably need two wins against Dayton and no bad losses to be an at-large contender.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 2 months ago I think Loyola is having a really nice year, but they're 0-2 in Q1, 3-3 in Q2, 16-2 in Q3+4. Their strength of schedule overall is OK at 114 to 130, depending on the metric you look at, but they oddly reflect the A-10 overall. Meaning, a bunch of good or pretty good wins and not a ton of awful losses, but nothing marquee either.

They played some decent teams tough in the OOC, but their best wins were against Harvard (179), Boston College (88) and Central Michigan (254). They also have their toughest A-10 stretch right now. If they win out in the A-10 regular season, that would mean wins over Dayton, Davidson and St. Bonaventure (and La Salle), and that might get them in the 50s or 60s of NET. But, I think that would be really tough for them, and they probably need two wins against Dayton and no bad losses to be an at-large contender.
Yes SG, agree with you regarding Loyola.

They are having a very nice season, good turn-around, much better than expected, but they certainly are not great.
Their chances of getting an at-large are extremely slim to none.
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Nice improvement for the A10, not a terrible season considering.

They finished #8 in conference rankings.
9 teams with an NET under 100.

2 teams with NCAAT bids and both winning their first game and advancing to the round of 32.
4 teams in the NIT and VCU beating Villanova in Philly.
St. Joe's with a close 3-point OT loss at #1 seed Seton Hall.

Unfortunately, many of the A10 top players are moving on, either entering the portal or out of eligibility.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Nice improvement for the A10, not a terrible season considering.

2 teams with NCAAT bids and both winning their first game and advancing to the round of 32.

Unfortunately, many of the A10 top players are moving on, either entering the portal or out of eligibility.
Damned if we (the A10) are good and damned if we are not. There has to be a way out of this rut.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 month ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago Nice improvement for the A10, not a terrible season considering.

Damned if we (the A10) are good and damned if we are not. There has to be a way out of this rut.
Jersey, congrats on the latest grandchild addition! I hope baby, mom and dad are all doing well.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey, congrats on the latest grandchild addition! I hope baby, mom and dad are all doing well.
Yes, thanks Drums, everybody doing well, that was #7 for us.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 month ago

Yes, thanks Drums, everybody doing well, that was #7 for us.
👍🏼

If you recruit a few more from the baby portal, you will have a solid 9 grandchild rotation!

What is grandchild NIL like ? Asking for a friend…errr…I mean my daughters. :D
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Huge improvement 77 , if we can get another bump next year that be nice and hopefully we maintain status quo @ worst
1 x