A-10 Outlook for 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Re: A10 Outlook for 2023-24

Unread post by McRam »

It is more than Quissenberry and Moore that Fordham lost. 6’10” starting center Novitski was not granted a waiver and will also be lost. That is their 3 top players from last year.

Richardson is an excellent shooter and picking up a Juco point guard and Rivera help but they I will not be the same caliber team next year. Virtually no chance they will win A-10!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

By most all metrics that could gauge the program strength (attendance, revenue, NCAA success) we are one of the Top 5-6 programs in our league (UD, VCU, SLU, UR, Rhody, Bonnies would be my order). That should be the expectation benchmark every season. Anything below that is a fail, at or above a success. That is about equal to our commitment.

Recently the league has fallen back some, and 5th or 6th in the league isn't in the NCAA picture. Being (on average) the 5th best program isn't a guaranteed NCAA relevant season. So we have to get there and then climb up the ladder / pecking order. Get back to winning OOC games against higher profile programs and playing in upper tier within our league. Those are realistic goals.

I also agree with 15 that a 7th (or 6th) place finish next season can definitely be seen as a success. Context matters. How we got there matters. Have guys developed that will be here the following season? Has a purpose and identity for the program been created? Has recruiting gotten better? Did we have some big wins? How did we finish / A10 tourney results? Did a freshmen break out? You can't just say 7th place finish is a failure.

What we need to see is the beginning of a climb back towards our rightful place as a Top 5-6 program.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m still of the long term View I expect .500 this year 15 or 16 wins which should be a 6 or 7 win improvement then another 5 or 6 more wins in year 3
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m guessing everyone who hates RV won’t watch these?
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Well, there is something positive. Sounds good.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

I won't. I'm still blocked.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

I won't. I'm still blocked.
Finally a positive development from RV
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago D769833C-E9B3-4EC2-A76A-B87C4A7A676C.jpeg
That account has less than 200 followers and less than 200 tweets.

Just a random guy with an account not to be taken seriously.
A prediction is just a prediction, don't take any of them seriously, regardless of tweetch counts or hangers on volume....
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Big addition for Odom and VCU.

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Bonnies backcourt will be loaded.

Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Bonnies backcourt will be loaded.

I honestly don’t know how they’ll distribute the minutes between everyone they’re loaded

It’ll be between them and Duquesne for the preseason predictions
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jon Rothstein @JonRothstein
NEWS: The Barclays Center will host a triple header on December 10th, according to multiple sources.

St. John's/Boston College
Colorado/Miami
Fordham/North Texas
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

In other words, welcome to the one bid conference hotel. Enjoy your stay until you can figure out a way out to leave. College basketball conference version of the Hotel California by the Eagles.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago In other words, welcome to the one bid conference hotel. Enjoy your stay until you can figure out a way out to leave. College basketball conference version of the Hotel California by the Eagles.
We are all prisoners here of our own device
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Vcu has reloaded big time
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago In other words, welcome to the one bid conference hotel. Enjoy your stay until you can figure out a way out to leave. College basketball conference version of the Hotel California by the Eagles.
We are all prisoners here of our own device
More like, 'you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave'.......guitar solo...
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Vcu has reloaded big time
Really have to be impressed by what Odom has done so far in building this roster.

If Basimile gets a waiver, they will be in the discussion for contending in the A10.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For us it seems like Archie being out of the game for a year, all be it, in the media…was like a death sentence to irrelevance or at least that’s what people keep telling us. Should have hired someone employed or recently fired if you want to get good fast I guess.

And yes, I said before, I think this conference is screwed. You can’t turn it over this much each year and expect consistency. Gone are the days of watching a group grow and improve together…No more core 4 or anything like that.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago For us it seems like Archie being out of the game for a year, all be it in the media…was like a death sentence to irrelevance or at least that’s what people keep telling us.
Death sentence a little strong, but it definitely put him behind.

KJ was away for a couple of years, that also didn't help.
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago For us it seems like Archie being out of the game for a year, all be it in the media…was like a death sentence to irrelevance or at least that’s what people keep telling us.
Death sentence a little strong, but it definitely put him behind.

KJ was away for a couple of years, that also didn't help.
It was for shock value, but you get what I mean. We are all on here touting how other recent hires are killing it and we are not sure what our coach has brought in…only that we believe it’s better than what we had last year.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Duquesne, Fordham and Bonnies are all expected to be good bc of who they are returning AND pierces they added. They all retained players. That is still impt.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Duquesne, Fordham and Bonnies are all expected to be good bc of who they are returning AND pierces they added. They all retained players. That is still impt.
Yes BAR agree for reasons you stated above.

In addition, 2 teams that may not be top tier but could make some noise and give opposing coaches headaches are St. Joe's and Loyola.

Ryan Odom with all his additions could have VCU contending again despite their losses in the portal.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Duquesne, Fordham and Bonnies are all expected to be good bc of who they are returning AND pierces they added. They all retained players. That is still impt.
not if you're turrrr-a-ble...
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jeff Goodman @GoodmanHoops
May 10
Dayton will take an overseas trip this summer to Spain and France from Aug. 4-13, source told
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

When are we going to take an overseas trip feel like we haven’t since 2017
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago When are we going to take an overseas trip feel like we haven’t since 2017
It’s been awhile. Went to Italy in the summer before Dan’s 2nd year. Don’t remember anything since then.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I honestly don’t know how they’ll distribute the minutes between everyone they’re loaded

At this point, maybe give a slight edge to the Bonnies.
Yeah they are loaded, also returning their top 6 scorers from 22-23.
Probably the best backcourt as a group in the league with: Luc, Banks, Flowers, Pride, and Woods.
All capable scorers, that can take over a game.

On top of that, they may have the best starting frontcourt duo with Venning and Farell.
As a matter of fact, probably the best starting 5 in the A10, all can easily average double-digits.
They also have some quality depth.

It didn't take Schmidt long to reload and a good move to add Dana Valentine to the staff.
He is young up and comer who helped lead Putnam to back-to-back national prep championships.
Both freshman recruits Thompson and Rose played at Putnam.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I think it further shows stability at the helm is a key to sustained success. (Duh). I know people can point to instant success of new coaches, but our recent turnover at the helm is a reason for couple of steps back in conference. Not exactly news flash here.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

At this point, maybe give a slight edge to the Bonnies.
Yeah they are loaded, also returning their top 6 scorers from 22-23.
Probably the best backcourt as a group in the league with: Luc, Banks, Flowers, Pride, and Woods.
All capable scorers, that can take over a game.

On top of that, they may have the best starting frontcourt duo with Venning and Farell.
As a matter of fact, probably the best starting 5 in the A10, all can easily average double-digits.
They also have some quality depth.

It didn't take Schmidt long to reload and a good move to add Dana Valentine to the staff.
He is young up and comer who helped lead Putnam to back-to-back national prep championships.
Both freshman recruits Thompson and Rose played at Putnam.
And Thompson was Class of 2024 Ranked #10 in New England
Thompson reclassified to Class of 2023 and committed to St Bonaventure. Thompson is now also Ranked #15 in New England Class of 2023.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It would seem many A-10 coaches appear to be doing far better on the recruiting front than Archie at this time. I must say I am very underwhelmed by Miller and staff thus far (two seasons) in terms of getting top talent. I can give him a pass for year one after he had been out of coaching and taken on a train wreck. The timeline on those excuses is however fast running out.

I hope that Miller has gotten some diamonds in the rough that exceed expectations and that the overall talent across the board and good coaching elevates the program and brings more wins. That will hopefully make Kingston a more desirable location for recruits. Archie's success at Dayton was some six years ago. That is ancient history for today's recruits. He cannot rely on his past accomplishments in the only now matters environment of today.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago It would seem many A-10 coaches appear to be doing far better on the recruiting front than Archie at this time. I must say I am very underwhelmed by Miller and staff thus far (two seasons) in terms of getting top talent. I can give him a pass for year one after he had been out of coaching and taken on a train wreck. The timeline on those excuses is however fast running out.

I hope that Miller has gotten some diamonds in the rough that exceed expectations and that the overall talent across the board and good coaching elevates the program and brings more wins. That will hopefully make Kingston a more desirable location for recruits. Archie's success at Dayton was some six years ago. That is ancient history for today's recruits. He cannot rely on his past accomplishments in the only now matters environment of today.
I guess I am more of the mindset of wait and see.
You may be underwhelmed so far because several of our transfer/recruits are more under the radar.
Our staff may see things in these players that others don't, so we just have to trust their judgement.

Again I didn't think we would see a major change overnight and it will take some time.
We will know much better as this season goes along and hoping to see a much improved team.
If not, of course that would be reason for concern.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago It would seem many A-10 coaches appear to be doing far better on the recruiting front than Archie at this time. I must say I am very underwhelmed by Miller and staff thus far (two seasons) in terms of getting top talent. I can give him a pass for year one after he had been out of coaching and taken on a train wreck. The timeline on those excuses is however fast running out.

Idk if the whole league is doing better than Archie this off-season, there are certain teams that are doing better in the league but not in whole

The teams that did better than us in the offseason are imho:
VCU
Bonnie’s
Dayton
Loyola-Chicago (but can Valentine coach in the A-10)
George Mason (only because of Darius Maddox)
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Not sure Dayton improved more than URI . Amzil is in the portal . If he leaves that will be a major loss for Dayton and I'm not sure the additions will make up for his loss.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Not sure Dayton improved more than URI . Amzil is in the portal . If he leaves that will be a major loss for Dayton and I'm not sure the additions will make up for his loss.
He already left. I believe he transferred to a school out west, maybe New Mexico?
Go Rhody
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Idk if the whole league is doing better than Archie this off-season, there are certain teams that are doing better in the league but not in whole

VCU
Bonnie’s
Dayton
I'd also throw in:

Fordham
Duquesne

Dayton added some nice pieces but Camara and Holmes are both gone so it might be a wash at best.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Not sure Dayton improved more than URI . Amzil is in the portal . If he leaves that will be a major loss for Dayton and I'm not sure the additions will make up for his loss.
He already left. I believe he transferred to a school out west, maybe New Mexico?
Yes he did go to New Mexico

And true I hadn’t looked at Dayton’s frontcourt yet which is very lacking with some freshman and a transfer from Buffalo so touché I think we did do better
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

VCU
Bonnie’s
Dayton
I'd also throw in:

Fordham
Duquesne

Dayton added some nice pieces but Camara and Holmes are both gone so it might be a wash at best.
I honestly forgot about Duquesne with the Drame twins and that forward from Georgia Southern that was all-SBC, thanks for the reminder

Fordham I’m very like meh, added a PG from UTSA that will lead them is scoring most likely but Rivera I wanted but in all honesty I don’t know if he’ll start for them, they’ll be good and I understand they kept their core from last year (minus loosing Moore and Quisenberry to graduation), I feel like they didn’t grab a huge transfer
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago I honestly forgot about Duquesne with the Drame twins and that forward from Georgia Southern that was all-SBC, thanks for the reminder

Fordham I’m very like meh, added a PG from UTSA that will lead them is scoring most likely but Rivera I wanted but in all honesty I don’t know if he’ll start for them, they’ll be good and I understand they kept their core from last year (minus loosing Moore and Quisenberry to graduation), I feel like they didn’t grab a huge transfer
Fair point on Fordham. I think they're a top 2-3 team in the league this year simply because I don't think they got worse. But to say they got way better in the offseason is probably wrong on my part.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago

VCU
Bonnie’s
Dayton
I'd also throw in:

Fordham
Duquesne

Still a little too early to speculate or make this determination.

Holmes did leave the option open to return and drop out of the draft, Dayton fans hoping.
If not, Dayton did lose a lot especially Camara and Holmes if he stays in the draft.
They still have 2-3 openings depending, and have some good pierces returning: Smith, Brea, Elvis, and Zimi.

Dayton incoming transfers include:
Javon Bennett - NEC All -Rookie Team (22-23) averaged 9.6 pts/ 3.4 assists.
Isaac Jack - Buffalo freshman PF/C (6'11") started 20 games averaged 5.6 pts/ 4.2 rebs.
Enoch Cheeks - RMU averaged 15.4 pts/ 3.5 assists/ 4.4 rebs.

Freshman recruits:
Marvel Allen- 3/4* top 130 SG
Jaiun Simon - 3* SF
Vasilige Erceg- Serbian big (6'10"), 17 pts (50% 3PT)/ 8 rebs, U19 Adriatic League.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Jersey, you must have read my mind regarding Holmes as I wasn’t sure if he was definitely gone from UD yet via the draft or the door was still open for a return. I was just about to look him up before reading your post.

Thanks for the info.

KB synchronicity. Good stuff.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
God freaking dammit 14th
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
God freaking dammit 14th
Easy, reef. It's an account with "big five" (a Philly thing) in their handle and they have St Joe's at #1. I don't think this is meant to be a serious ranking.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Good grief Charlie Brown.
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

VCU
Bonnie’s
Dayton
Dino, now that Loyola can put last season behind them, I think Valentine will do just fine coaching in the A10.

As HC they already beat Bobby Hurley's ASU team by 18 pts in the Bahamas.
Plus barely lost to Izzo and MSU by only 2 pts in the same tournament.

That season (21-22) they also won the MVC Tournament beating well coached teams Bradley, Northern Iowa, and Drake.

They are capable of having the biggest turn-around of any team in our conference this season.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago A little surprised some of these insiders are picking Fordham 1st in the A10.
I think they should be good and probably finish in the upper tier but just maybe not that high.

After losing their 2 best players Quisenberry and Moore, I give Urgo credit for replacing them with 2 immediate impact transfers.
(PG)Japhet Medor was a Juco stud and then played well at UTSA averaging about 14 pts/ 4 assists and considered an elite defender.
(F) Josh Rivera had a strong freshman year at Lafayette and was on the Patriot League All-Rookie Team.
Averaged 10.6 pts/ 5.3 rebs.

Urgo's team has good size, depth, and will play strong defensively, so I guess yeah, they may contend.
Fordham is a great prediction for these people. Hit and you constantly remind everyone that you correctly predicted Fordham's first A10 championship. Miss and nobody remembers what you predicted. I wouldn't put much stock in that for those reasons. It's a self promotion pick, not a serious one
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago It is more than Quissenberry and Moore that Fordham lost. 6’10” starting center Novitski was not granted a waiver and will also be lost. That is their 3 top players from last year.

Richardson is an excellent shooter and picking up a Juco point guard and Rivera help but they I will not be the same caliber team next year. Virtually no chance they will win A-10!
One thing to keep in mind is the confidence Fordham had going into conference play last year vs. what it could look like this year. They feasted on as soft an out of conference schedule as you can get, so they came into play against a bad version of the A10 feeling good about where they are. Will they have that same kind of confidence this year if their schedule is tougher? And what if the A10 isn't as bad this year as last year?
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Don't worry Vault, we'll watch and boost your engagement numbers!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Did we add a new team this offseason with the initials SJU? Because no way is St. Joseph's going to win the league