'19 RI F/C Keegan Records (Colgate) (name pulled from portal)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

'19 RI F/C Keegan Records (Colgate) (name pulled from portal)

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Keegan Records - F/C
School: St. Andrew's (RI)

Ht: 6'10"
Wt: 250

INTEREST:
Florida
Nevada
Providence
Rhode Island
Texas Tech
Wake Forest
2 x
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Re: '19 RI F/C Keegan Records (Colgate ---> ???)

Unread post by rhodysurf »

Him going to PC would make little sense right? Like he has to battle with Oduro, Castro, and others for playing time in his grad year?
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Him going to PC would make little sense right? Like he has to battle with Oduro, Castro, and others for playing time in his grad year?
It depends on what his goal is. If he wants to play professionally, he's probably looking for game tape of him against better opponents. If he's beaten out Oduro and others for the starting spot, and logs a bunch of minutes in the Big East, that radically improves what kind of league he can get into. Of course, that's significantly riskier than going to URI, which has a practically completely open depth chart. And, this assumes that he's *definitely* going to choose some at-home option. Maybe he loves the idea of playing in Florida.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago Him going to PC would make little sense right? Like he has to battle with Oduro, Castro, and others for playing time in his grad year?
It depends on what his goal is. If he wants to play professionally, he's probably looking for game tape of him against better opponents. If he's beaten out Oduro and others for the starting spot, and logs a bunch of minutes in the Big East, that radically improves what kind of league he can get into. Of course, that's significantly riskier than going to URI, which has a practically completely open depth chart. And, this assumes that he's *definitely* going to choose some at-home option. Maybe he loves the idea of playing in Florida.
Kim English is not about to start Keegan Records over Odoro.

Records isn’t a better player than Oduro, and even if he was, English wouldn’t have his best transfer from his old school come off the bench.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I guessing most of those teams just want him for depth.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I like him. He's not flashy, but he's solid.

I'm having visions of sugar plums dancing in my head trying to picture a new look URI team with him and Brown down low.

I think opposing A-10 teams would be particularly dumb founded by the new assortment of Rhody post players, particularly the white dude with the headband, and how much of a difference they all make.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I like him. He's not flashy, but he's solid.

I'm having visions of sugar plums dancing in my head trying to picture a new look URI team with him and Brown down low.

I think opposing A-10 teams would be particularly dumb founded by the new assortment of Rhody post players, particularly the white dude with the headband, and how much of a difference they all make.
His basketball IQ is something we have not seen around here in a while.

He would make our offense a lot better with his ability to screen, pass, score and do little things like clear his man out of the way for his teammates when they drive the lane.

Still probably prefer Ousmane because he still has two years and he has a P5 body, but Keegan did perfectly well against Texas.

Either one I'll be really happy!

Get either of them, a PG, couple shooters and we are a completely different team.

We would like win games and stuff
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Again…

Easy one to close lives in town, loves SK. 1 year scholly only. Insert right into packline. Smart, hustles, catches ball and makes layups.

Get Records done.
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I like him. He's not flashy, but he's solid.

His basketball IQ is something we have not seen around here in a while.

He would make our offense a lot better with his ability to screen, pass, score and do little things like clear his man out of the way for his teammates when they drive the lane.

Still probably prefer Ousmane because he still has two years and he has a P5 body, but Keegan did perfectly well against Texas.

Either one I'll be really happy!

Get either of them, a PG, couple shooters and we are a completely different team.

We would like win games and stuff
I concur, PRT.

I value basketball IQ ( not above other things but a very important ingredient ). He has enough talent with bb IQ that I really like how he can help us - even if it just one year.

I like Ousmane, too. I wouldn’t be disappointed with either one.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Could possibly teach Rory a thing or two about adding an inside game.
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago Could possibly teach Rory a thing or two about adding an inside game.
I was thinking he would be an excellent role model for Foumena but having players in the program who can make plays is an excellent example for all of the other players. If we add him and a couple of others there is no reason we can not be in the mix for post-season play. We have the playing time, the roster spots an excellent coach and very good facilities. If he wants to come to Rhody it would be crazy not to add him to the team.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

How do you guys compare him to Gil Biruta ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago How do you guys compare him to Gil Biruta ??
Excellent question, Reef.

It’s hard for me to remember that far back, Reef. Lol! I barely remember Gil’s play. Ooph.

Anyway, I think they are similar athletically, but Records may be more polished offensively in the post.
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Exactly what I was thinking!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not sure if Keegan is as soft as Biruta. Not as athletic, but more consistent and bigger.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

It’s hard for me to remember that far back, Reef. Lol! I barely remember Gil’s play. Ooph.

Anyway, I think they are similar athletically, but Records may be more polished offensively in the post.
That was my first thought when watching his video reminded me a little of Gil
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

That was my first thought when watching his video reminded me a little of Gil
Records made 1st Team All Conference AND All Defensive Team this season
F7713BC9-ED9A-4DF6-8EEB-AB061000CFED.jpeg
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Omg. A 6 10 250 lb who can rebound and score on a few post moves. And high bb is. Don’t care about one year. We need to be competitive this year. Much prefer him over much prefer him to ousamae.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Omg. A 6 10 250 lb who can rebound and score on a few post moves. And high bb is. Don’t care about one year. We need to be competitive this year. Much prefer him over much prefer him to ousamae.
Have you watched Abdou? Very good player...Keegan is great as well, but I would say they would both make similar impacts and are difference-makers. I'd take either.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Would be huge news.

Getting lower level players with potential is fine, but we need to also land guys like Ousmane and Records.

And a do it all PG of course.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Omg. A 6 10 250 lb who can rebound and score on a few post moves. And high bb is. Don’t care about one year. We need to be competitive this year. Much prefer him over much prefer him to ousamae.
Have you watched Abdou? Very good player...Keegan is great as well, but I would say they would both make similar impacts and are difference-makers. I'd take either.
I haven't watched either. Probably have an image in my mind of what a center with a high bb IQ does for the team. I believe you on Abdou, and obviously would like him also.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I would take a freshman transfer with upside potential before a one year rental. I'm for building for 2025-26.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago I would take a freshman transfer with upside potential before a one year rental. I'm for building for 2025-26.
After this past season we need to establish credibility next season. If we have a similar season next year , we make it that much more difficult to re-establish the BRAND for future seasons. If we have one year rentals next year, and get to the top tier, we have recaptured our winning Brand.

Under no circumstances can we lose 20 games next year and say we are making progress.
4 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

For all involved there needs to be improvement next year, at least a .500 team and 1 year rental is a fine bridge.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago For all involved there needs to be improvement next year, at least a .500 team and 1 year rental is a fine bridge.
Are you saying .500 in A10 or overall? If A10, that would be a great year. If overall, have Jim Baron build your OOC schedule.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I guess that depends on the OOC, if it ends up as cupcake city and we finish in the bottom 1/3 of the league, but .500 overall it would be another disappointing season.
0 x
nchof
Abdul Fox

Unread post by nchof »

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Boo
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

nchof wrote: 1 year ago
Good news for Colgate.
Really respect Matt Langel and what he has done there.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Isn’t the relationship still a little weird. “Glad you wanted to leave and fell back on us when nothing better came around”.
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Good news for Colgate.
Really respect Matt Langel and what he has done there.
Langel should get a better job soon
0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Isn’t the relationship still a little weird. “Glad you wanted to leave and fell back on us when nothing better came around”.
Jerome Tang had a press conference clip about Ish Massoud that was making the rounds. He explained that they discussed his role for the upcoming season and they didn't see eye to eye. When Ish brought up the portal he encouraged him to look around. He explained if he didn't like what he heard, he could always come back and fill that role.
But while Ish was in the portal exploring his options, KSU would also be exploring their options. And if Ish decides he wants to come back, that role may no longer be available.

In most cases I'm sure that is how it goes. Coaches may continue to "recruit" their own players if they want them back. If they don't, well they don't continue to "recruit them".
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Faith in college basketball restored!

Lol
0 x
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

Re: '19 RI F/C Keegan Records (Colgate) (name pulled from portal)

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

My reading of this: didn't get the kind of interest he hoped for from URI and PC.
1 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago My reading of this: didn't get the kind of interest he hoped for from URI and PC.
Really?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Isn’t the relationship still a little weird. “Glad you wanted to leave and fell back on us when nothing better came around”.
Didn't Ish (or some Rhody player(s)) do that last year?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago My reading of this: didn't get the kind of interest he hoped for from URI and PC.
Really?
Hopefully we held back some interest towards him for Abou

Otherwise I think you definitely take him as a one year rental.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Colgate is real nice school and campus, there’s definitely that IMHO
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Bummer
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Agreed, 88. A bit of a bummer for me, too. Would have helped I think and would have been a good, local story for a year.

That said, I think we will be okay. Still could use another big though. And the beat goes on.
1 x