'22 PF Josh Rivera (Lafeyette ---> Fordham) (URI visit)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: '22 PF Josh Rivera (Lafeyette ---> Fordham) (URI visit)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Maybe we're getting Minor.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

This is gonna happen when you’re in the mix which a bunch of guys like we are. I thought he’d end up somewhere better than Fordham but then again the best schools going after him was in the A10. We’ll see how he pans out. Looks like he has a lot of upside.

I’m still pumped about House and Brown. This kid would have been fun but I hope the top priority is a point right now
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Wow losing recruiting battles to Fordham? I’m an Archie guy for better or worse but if he’s visiting campus we can’t be losing these battles to fucking Fordham.

Rivera won’t make or break the Archie era but the cumulative effect of losing battles like this may be his downfall.
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

stop down playing Fordham....Great Coach and put the right players in place you can win and OOC played Arkansas last year. BIG
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rjv wrote: 1 year ago stop down playing Fordham....Great Coach and put the right players in place you can win and OOC played Arkansas last year. BIG
Have you seen their facilities?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I must admit, pretty sad about losing this one.
Looks like a fun player to have on your squad. Excited to watch him none the less.

Still one more big out there with a (minor) connection with Rhody, I hope he is in the plan.
Not mentioned yet in any chat, We'll see.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Friend of a current player
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I must admit, pretty sad about losing this one.
Looks like a fun player to have on your squad. Excited to watch him none the less.

Still one more big out there with a (minor) connection with Rhody, I hope he is in the plan.
Not mentioned yet in any chat, We'll see.
You can tell us.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

This dude didn't excite me all that much anyways
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: '22 PF Josh Rivera (Lafeyette ---> ???) (URI visit)

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Fordham commit.
Get him up on that Most Wanted wall, Arch..."A's that must be kicked"
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Really disappointed. The odds of us backing off with all of our needs is very, very small. If Archie lost straight out to Fordham where NIL money is likely not a factor, it is more than disappointing. We expected more from Archie and staff, so far their recruiting/transfer results have been a total bust! Trying not to think about this if this represents a major and fatal weakness of the staff.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Really disappointed. The odds of us backing off with all of our needs is very, very small. If Archie lost straight out to Fordham where NIL money is likely not a factor, it is more than disappointing. We expected more from Archie and staff, so far their recruiting/transfer results have been a total bust! Trying not to think about this if this represents a major and fatal weakness of the staff.
Kenny is getting players. This is a Jersey kid. I assume Duane was on him. We need to see a NY/NJ kid commit.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm going to join you with the sour grapes, PRT.

We really didn't have a whole lot of film on him except fast break dunks, alley oop dunks, and put back layups. Looked like an exciting player that could get the crowd on their feet. Was the incoming/frosh player of the year for his conference. Reminded me of a slightly smaller Jacob Toppin, body wise, but I have mixed feelings about Toppin, so that could be a plus or a minus, lol.

Anyway, still Minor, the Australian, etc, on the board.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago Really disappointed. The odds of us backing off with all of our needs is very, very small. If Archie lost straight out to Fordham where NIL money is likely not a factor, it is more than disappointing. We expected more from Archie and staff, so far their recruiting/transfer results have been a total bust! Trying not to think about this if this represents a major and fatal weakness of the staff.
Kenny is getting players. This is a Jersey kid. I assume Duane was on him. We need to see a NY/NJ kid commit.
We need to see Austin do something besides pose for pictures with other assistants recruits. Dude is straight dead weight until further notice.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I really don’t know, who has Duane gotten?
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Further to my point, who the hell has Austin recruited? Does this dude have a pulse? I wish I coulda coasted through my 20’s on my dads reputation the way he has.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Archie hired him and he worked for Archie's brother Sean at Arizona. So endorsed by both Millers.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Archie isn’t infallible. I thought it was a bad hire at the time.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
Duane got the kids from Canada and Brandon, I know that. I assume he got Estevez too.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 year ago Archie isn’t infallible. I thought it was a bad hire at the time.
Don't recall anyone saying that til now.
But it's Archie keeping him, nobody else. Let's se how long Archie goes with keeping your bad hire.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago

Duane got the kids from Canada and Brandon, I know that. I assume he got Estevez too.
I get it, but, none of these have proven to be players to get to the promised land. Landing players is one thing, landing impact players is the test for a top notch recruiter.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
STC wrote: 1 year ago Archie isn’t infallible. I thought it was a bad hire at the time.
But it's Archie keeping him, nobody else. Let's se how long Archie goes with keeping your bad hire.
Trying to find my scalding hot take but can’t. I still stand by Austin being nothing more than a nepotism hire, Sean’s recommendation. Austin adds zero to the equation whether Cox or Archie is here. Please someone tell me the stellar recruits Austin is responsible for. Dude is committing wage theft in public sight!
0 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

A lot of over reaction to this . There are three possibilities here : He didn't want to come to URI and preferred Fordham which I have a hard time believing ( Unless he wants to be closer to home ) or he was a backup plan to someone or someones whom Archie now feels he can get or Archie
has received word that a preferred player has agreed to commit . I think we need to wait and see before we start attacking Archie or doubting
his recruiting ability . Archie did revitalize a sinking Dayton program and brought them to the Final Eight and it had nothing to do with brother
Sean . I think we need to calm down a little and be patient until we see what the full roster looks like .
3 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

luke wrote: 1 year ago A lot of over reaction to this . There are three possibilities here : He didn't want to come to URI and preferred Fordham which I have a hard time believing ( Unless he wants to be closer to home ) or he was a backup plan to someone or someones whom Archie now feels he can get or Archie
has received word that a preferred player has agreed to commit . I think we need to wait and see before we start attacking Archie or doubting
his recruiting ability . Archie did revitalize a sinking Dayton program and brought them to the Final Eight and it had nothing to do with brother
Sean . I think we need to calm down a little and be patient until we see what the full roster looks like .
Luke u r right! There will be plenty of time to criticize after “the fat lady sings”
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

If Austin Carroll could recruit like he collects paychecks we would be a final four team
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

STC wrote: 1 year ago
Trying to find my scalding hot take but can’t. I still stand by Austin being nothing more than a nepotism hire, Sean’s recommendation. Austin adds zero to the equation whether Cox or Archie is here. Please someone tell me the stellar recruits Austin is responsible for. Dude is committing wage theft in public sight!
Then I hold Archie Miller 100% responsible for that.
He is allowing wage theft in public sight. Fire them both!
Now!
It's absurd to continue this fraud.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Now!
Austin adds nothing. Bro, I can pose for pics and collect a six figure check. Is that position open? Cuz sign me the fuck up.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Now!
Austin adds nothing. Bro, I can pose for pics and collect a six figure check. Is that position open? Cuz sign me the fuck up.
Archie owns the hiring decision 100%
Archie also 100% owns the decision to keep him hired, to work on his development, and conduct his performance evaluations. If he is still here - month from now, 6 months from now.....it's Archie Millers staff. All of the staff needs to be held accountable by the Head Coach.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fordham Board reaction

Averages for
@joshuarivera5_
his last 15 games of the season:

15.1p, 6.3r, 2.1a, 52.3 2p%, 41.3 3p%, 0.7b

https://fuforum.createaforum.com/men's- ... a-rivera!/
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Now!
Archie also 100% owns the decision to keep him hired, to work on his development, and conduct his performance evaluations. If he is still here - month from now, 6 months from now.....it's Archie Millers staff. All of the staff needs to be held accountable by the Head Coach.
Like I have said previously, Archie is not infallible and I questioned the Austin retention 12 months ago. I hope Austin is going to deliver a big time recruit this cycle but more likely he’s going to keep posing for pictures and adding nothing of value. Hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn not happy about Rivera to FU ugh
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Like I have said previously, Archie is not infallible and I questioned the Austin retention 12 months ago. I hope Austin is going to deliver a big time recruit this cycle but more likely he’s going to keep posing for pictures and adding nothing of value. Hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.
He will never change your mind. Not a chance. That's 100% clear.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

That’s the thing though, at the end of the day I’m a diehard Rhody fan. I want nothing more than for Austin to sign a big time recruit today and make my takes look terrible. I hope Austin absolutely kills it this cycle and makes me look like a clown. Nothing would make me happier. But until then, I will continue to question what he has done and why he’s still on staff.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

STC wrote: 1 year ago That’s the thing though, at the end of the day I’m a diehard Rhody fan. I want nothing more than for Austin to sign a big time recruit today and make my takes look terrible. I hope Austin absolutely kills it this cycle and makes me look like a clown. Nothing would make me happier. But until then, I will continue to question what he has done and why he’s still on staff.
What an absolutely absurd take. I mean.... what????

Do you sit in on staff meetings? Are you in our practices? Do you help work on the schedule? Do you run individual workouts? Are you there when he meets one on one with players? Doing scout? Individual film sessions?
Unless you are completely familiar with the inner workings of the staff, you have absolutely no idea how Austin or any of the other staff members ASSIST the program moving forward.

Look at it this way... Do we want Tony Bergeron on staff? Why not? He brought in like 9 recruits to Umass! But he wasn't doing a good enough job of ASSISTING the program.

I swear it's like people just come on here to bitch. How can you questions someone's job when you have absolutely no knowledge of what they are doing. SMH
6 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

We’re setting a low bar if Tony Bergeron is the comp for Austin. Anyways, who has be signed? Who has he developed?

Just because I don’t sit in on meetings doesn’t make Austin above reproach. Tell me more about what an amazing scout he has been while Rhody was getting waxed this year.

Yes, this is a message board. Yes, we come here to bitch and give takes. As I have said, I hope my Austin takes age horribly but he needs to show me something first.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

STC wrote: 1 year ago We’re setting a low bar if Tony Bergeron is the comp for Austin. Anyways, who has be signed? Who has he developed?

Just because I don’t sit in on meetings doesn’t make Austin above reproach. Tell me more about what an amazing scout he has been while Rhody was getting waxed this year.

Yes, this is a message board. Yes, we come here to bitch and give takes. As I have said, I hope my Austin takes age horribly but he needs to show me something first.
I thought you were gonna wake up with a hell of a hangover after reading your late night rants.

Looks like you woke up still drunk instead
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

STC wrote: 1 year ago We’re setting a low bar if Tony Bergeron is the comp for Austin. Anyways, who has be signed? Who has he developed?

I’ve seen some crazy outbursts on here but this is near the top. Absolutely bashing Austin in a thread about about a recruit that just went to Fordham. Only on Keaneyblue,

Honestly, This seems personal… I’ve never seen someone freak out so much over a 3rd assistant….
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago A lot of over reaction to this . There are three possibilities here : He didn't want to come to URI and preferred Fordham which I have a hard time believing ( Unless he wants to be closer to home ) or he was a backup plan to someone or someones whom Archie now feels he can get or Archie
Can’t really say Dayton was a “sinking program” when Archie took over.

The last 4 years before Archie came they had four straight 20+ win seasons, 3 NITs including a NIT title, along with one NCAA tournament appearance and win.

That’s hardly a sinking program.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

To play devils advocate here do we know if Austin is a recruiter? Or does he have different responsibilities? I ask because I simply don’t know
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago

I’ve seen some crazy outbursts on here but this is near the top. Absolutely bashing Austin in a thread about about a recruit that just went to Fordham. Only on Keaneyblue,

Honestly, This seems personal… I’ve never seen someone freak out so much over a 3rd assistant….
OK thanks Stevie. Been trying to figure out what’s been happening in here for the last twelve hours and thought I was just missing something.

What are we on about here, anyways? Some depth piece that we maybe started recruiting a week ago chose a different school? Obviously we need players but I don’t think the future of the program hinged on this guy (honestly as I’m typing this I have no idea which guy this even is). For my money, most likely we’ll be fine in the long run but if we aren’t I don’t think this guy would have made the difference. There are thousands of players out there. The reaction here seems very random and strange.
6 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

He's a good player. I mean, when we play Fordham, we're going to notice him, I'm sure. He's going to get his share of points.

Are we going to say, oh why oh why didn't he pick Rhody?? like you could have said about VCU's Bones Hyland, or Dayton's Obi Toppin? I don't know about that, but I'm sure he won't be obscure when we play Fordham, he'll be one of the better players on their team. But, at the same time, we don't know the details. Maybe he came on his unofficial visit and told them, I appreciate the opportunity, I like the campus, the program and what you are doing here is impressive, but I really want to play closer to home. Who knows?
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Recruiting is a weird business and I bet it’s a lot like making sausage…you’re better off not knowing the details. Seriously, on paper everything is better about our program except recent results, which has lead us to hiring Archie who is also more accomplished than their coach…but these are still kids and who knows what goes into their decisions. But yes, I never thought I’d see the day we’d lose a recruit to Fordham. We have a lot of ground to make up.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I'm confused about why this kid is regarded as this incredible get... We just landed a player with much better programs going after him, and we are spending more time complaining about a kid that had a decent year at Lafayette... I don't get it. Sure, if this was Khalif Battle or someone that has proven to make a big impact at a higher level. But we have no idea how this kid will adapt to the next level, just like our two recruits. They look great on paper, but we don't know.

I wanted Josh. I also want like 20 other guys that COULD be great players. We are going to miss out on more than we land. We have already upgraded the roster. Let's see how we fill out the roster...
4 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

So Rhody 15 , Baron had several 20 win seasons : 07-08 21 wins NIT 08-09 23 wins NIT 09-10 26 wins NIT 10-11 20 wins CBI . And were URI fans
thinking the program was where they wanted it ? No , and Dayton fans were not happy with Brian Gregory either . The situations are very similar .
Archie no doubt brought Dayton to a much higher level with 4 straight NCAA appearances including the final Eight . Dayton went 8-8 and 7-9 in
the A10 in the years you mention that they won 20 and went to the NIT . So they were not even a top team in the A 10 until Archie got there . Have
faith guys and be patient. Archie took over a complete bottom feeder here , so it might take a couple seasons but he will get them there .
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

We’re not going to get every guy that we target, move on to the next
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago So Rhody 15 , Baron had several 20 win seasons : 07-08 21 wins NIT 08-09 23 wins NIT 09-10 26 wins NIT 10-11 20 wins CBI . And were URI fans
thinking the program was where they wanted it ? No , and Dayton fans were not happy with Brian Gregory either . The situations are very similar .
Archie no doubt brought Dayton to a much higher level with 4 straight NCAA appearances including the final Eight . Dayton went 8-8 and 7-9 in
the A10 in the years you mention that they won 20 and went to the NIT . So they were not even a top team in the A 10 until Archie got there . Have
faith guys and be patient. Archie took over a complete bottom feeder here , so it might take a couple seasons but he will get them there .
You seemed to have left out Baron’s last year to fit your narrative.

Baron won single digit games his last season.

The last 4 years of Baron’s tenure aren’t close to that of Gregory’s.

Baron - Two NITs, one CBI, 7-24 season.

Gregory - Three NITS, one title, one NCAA win.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The 1 title he won was the year we got robbed in the semis isn’t it? There really isn’t a massive difference given the resources and expectations at UD. It’s relative. Their fan base wanted Gregory gone for years before it happened.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The 1 title he won was the year we got robbed in the semis isn’t it? There really isn’t a massive difference given the resources and expectations at UD. It’s relative. Their fan base wanted Gregory gone for years before it happened.
Sure was.

I for one don’t see an NIT title as meaningless as some here do.

But yes it is all relative.
1 x
Go Rhody