'20 G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Re: '20 G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Unread post by bigappleram »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We need a PG!
BIG TIME, I got a feeling we’re gonna end up with that Benjamin kid from MSM, have heard nothing about him media wise which plays in our favor (No visits or updates) seems pretty decent and played well versus the OOC conference competition and also played well while he was at UAB for the first two years, would be happy with him
Do we have a profile on the Benjamin kid? Can't find anything on him.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago It’s not 1995

Need multiple players to handle the ball. Miller is not stuck in the past. Bob Cousy ain’t walking through the door.
I hear ya and I don’t disagree. Other players need to be capable of handling the ball but, I still favor a primary ball handler.

And yes, I do predate 1995 but Cousy was a bit before my time. That said, I would be very happy with a Jeff Downtin ( coached under DH ) type of PG - as a more recent example.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
BIG TIME, I got a feeling we’re gonna end up with that Benjamin kid from MSM, have heard nothing about him media wise which plays in our favor (No visits or updates) seems pretty decent and played well versus the OOC conference competition and also played well while he was at UAB for the first two years, would be happy with him
He's listed at 5'10" and 140 lbs. Here's his stats at MSM and UAB.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/pl ... min-1.html
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Both are true. Yes you need multiple ball handlers and guys that can create offense off the dribble...but it's also good to have a floor general and facilitator at PG that can run a team.
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Need multiple players to handle the ball. Miller is not stuck in the past. Bob Cousy ain’t walking through the door.
I hear ya and I don’t disagree. Other players need to be capable of handling the ball but, I still favor a primary ball handler.

And yes, I do predate 1995 but Cousy was a bit before my time. That said, I would be very happy with a Jeff Downtin ( coached under DH ) type of PG - as a more recent example.
Watch your Boston Celtics. Who’s the PG? No Bob Cousy, no Kenny Anderson no DJ…

No point guard. A 6’8” guy or a 6’10” guy bringing the ball up. Nearly everyone on the floor can handle the ball at an elite level. Like it or not(I mostly don’t like it) that’s the modern game.

Give me Pride, Records and bring back Leggett and let’s get after it!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I know he's not a PG but I really hope we can get Josh Rivera.
High, high on my list. Only a freshman. Improved as the freshman year went on and led team to Championship game vs Colgate. Lots of upside potential. Please get Rivera.
We desperately needed a big man, a scorer or two to make up for Ish, and a point guard. I think House and Tyson help with the first two needs. I hope we land a point guard next then I'll take a breath.

However, I do like Rivera's upside as well. He also has brutal FT% numbers, but he's a freak athlete and looks like he could develop into a decent shooter. Nice form.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

Gotta be happy about House! He’s looks like the real deal. Jaden, welcome aboard!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I know he's not a PG but I really hope we can get Josh Rivera.
High, high on my list. Only a freshman. Improved as the freshman year went on and led team to Championship game vs Colgate. Lots of upside potential. Please get Rivera.
We desperately needed a big man, a scorer or two to make up for Ish, and a point guard. I think House and Tyson help with the first two needs. I hope we land a point guard next then I'll take a breath.

However, I do like Rivera's upside as well. He also has brutal FT% numbers, but he's a freak athlete and looks like he could develop into a decent shooter. Nice form.
Really would love Rivera. Lamonte Ulmer vibes. Athletic freak but a bit raw ball skills.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Really would love Rivera. Lamonte Ulmer vibes. Athletic freak but a bit raw ball skills.
Ulmer was the first person I thought of while watching his game tape
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago

Watch your Boston Celtics. Who’s the PG? No Bob Cousy, no Kenny Anderson no DJ…

No point guard. A 6’8” guy or a 6’10” guy bringing the ball up. Nearly everyone on the floor can handle the ball at an elite level. Like it or not(I mostly don’t like it) that’s the modern game.

Give me Pride, Records and bring back Leggett and let’s get after it!
You need a floor general to be good at this level. Just think about the last two years, Jeremy Shephard was a fish out of water trying to play the point and this year we doubled down on no competent point guard and a pathetic offense.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good comp with Ulmer , someone that can get out on the wing and finish with the best of them
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

House heard from a host of Power 5 and Big East programs after announcing he would leave High Point with two years of eligibility remaining. In-state rival Providence, Butler, DePaul, Virginia Tech, Louisville, Florida State, Mississippi State, Texas A&M and Utah were all competing for his services. 

I liked this quote from the projo article
6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow that’s quite a list !!
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Re: 20’ G Jaden House (High Point -> ?)

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

What were Dubsky's shooting stats? I have not seen anything, nor been able to find anything despite plenty of searching. Can't even find a single box score

3P%
FT%
Points per game
I don't know, but I'd also caution reading too much into high school stats. The jump in competition is just too much to really account for, and the statistics themselves are typically kept by high school JV players barely paying attention. (At Chariho after one game, we noted that everyone in the starting lineup had been credited with 10+ rebounds - the kid doing it for the first time gave them a rebound anytime they touched the ball on defense.) Sebastian Thomas averaged 25 PPG in high school and shot around 80 percent from the line, IIRC. If you want to know if Dubsky can really shoot, you'll probably have to shell out for one of his prep games, or ask someone from that area who covers his games.
I've gone to more AAU games and tournaments and HS games probably than everyone on this board combined. I know how it works and how it doesn't work.
Dubsky switched high schools his senior year. I can't find anything a single box score on either incoming recruit. I don't know his minutes per game or whether he starts or not.
Didn't used to be that way.
Seems the prep schools (or at least certain prep schools) now want you to pay to watch their games. I refuse to do that. No stats available
It's like they don't want the info getting out.

Play AAU EYBL, etc in summer all the stats are available. Easy to find

Prep schools are a secret.
You've been to more AAU games and tournaments and HS games probably than everyone on this board combined? Really? How do you figure that?
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Fastest player we’ve had since fatts
So are you starting a URI 4 x 100m relay team of URI basketball players?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Fastest player we’ve had since fatts
So are you starting a URI 4 x 100m relay team of URI basketball players?
That is not what he said.

Stop
0 x
DevRam
Kenny Green

Unread post by DevRam »

Biggest guard we’ve had since Terrell. I am excited about that!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago

I don't know, but I'd also caution reading too much into high school stats. The jump in competition is just too much to really account for, and the statistics themselves are typically kept by high school JV players barely paying attention. (At Chariho after one game, we noted that everyone in the starting lineup had been credited with 10+ rebounds - the kid doing it for the first time gave them a rebound anytime they touched the ball on defense.) Sebastian Thomas averaged 25 PPG in high school and shot around 80 percent from the line, IIRC. If you want to know if Dubsky can really shoot, you'll probably have to shell out for one of his prep games, or ask someone from that area who covers his games.
I've gone to more AAU games and tournaments and HS games probably than everyone on this board combined. I know how it works and how it doesn't work.
Dubsky switched high schools his senior year. I can't find anything a single box score on either incoming recruit. I don't know his minutes per game or whether he starts or not.
Seems the prep schools (or at least certain prep schools) now want you to pay to watch their games. I refuse to do that. No stats available

You've been to more AAU games and tournaments and HS games probably than everyone on this board combined? Really? How do you figure that?
We have 2 freshmen recruits for this year.
No stats on either player, not even for a single game
I'm told I can pay to watch them on internet or go see them live.
I don't know why the stats are not public but I have some ideas.
Do you PMMM have any 1st hand knowledge of the playing ability of the two incoming freshmen?
Still going with you belief that David Cox did no damage to the URI MBB Program as we enter year 6 of the Fall of Rome? I mean Rhody? That was Cox induced?
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I agree, I hope the frosh are good, as we all do. But man it’s hard to get excited about them when you basically know nothing about them and all you have is Archie’s less than excellent recruiting from last year to go by. We were told last year’s recruiting disappointment was because he and Kenny were not in college b ball the year before, these kids committed only a few months later…that’s all it took get in on top A10 talent…a few months? I hope so.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

On the good side, he looks big enough to play the 3 with Weston, on the bad side, 3 pt shooting. Oh vey!
0 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I agree, I hope the frosh are good, as we all do. But man it’s hard to get excited about them when you basically know nothing about them and all you have is Archie’s less than excellent recruiting from last year to go by. We were told last year’s recruiting disappointment was because he and Kenny were not in college b ball the year before, these kids committed only a few months later…that’s all it took get in on top A10 talent…a few months? I hope so.
I guess I remain confused by the “recruiting disappointment” last year line of thinking. Rory is going to be a solid role player, Weston still has promise as a starter, Foumena is an unknown but Bilau was excellent until hurt. You got 3 maybe 4 guys in your first class who can contribute on a team. If Bray or Ant had worked out (both high risk / high reward recruits) it would have been a very good first class. It was the leftover guys (except Ish) who disappointed. Keep stacking 3/4 players a year who are good and you have a team that can compete even with roster turnover.
4 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I agree, I hope the frosh are good, as we all do. But man it’s hard to get excited about them when you basically know nothing about them and all you have is Archie’s less than excellent recruiting from last year to go by. We were told last year’s recruiting disappointment was because he and Kenny were not in college b ball the year before, these kids committed only a few months later…that’s all it took get in on top A10 talent…a few months? I hope so.
I guess I remain confused by the “recruiting disappointment” last year line of thinking. Rory is going to be a solid role player, Weston still has promise as a starter, Foumena is an unknown but Bilau was excellent until hurt. You got 3 maybe 4 guys in your first class who can contribute on a team. If Bray or Ant had worked out (both high risk / high reward recruits) it would have been a very good first class. It was the leftover guys (except Ish) who disappointed. Keep stacking 3/4 players a year who are good and you have a team that can compete even with roster turnover.
Yeah I've been saying the same thing pretty much. Lots of shit luck.

Crazy amount of injuries the Ant and Bray situations.

It was very abnormal.

Not gonna happen again.
1 x
giovanni
Carlton Owens

Unread post by giovanni »

1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, that’s what this is for. I rate last year’s class a disappointment. Yes, some was bad luck that contributed to the disappointment. The good news is there’s always next year to change my mind.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Alex - not very good
Hutch - couldn't even crack the floor - transferred
Harris - never even made it onto campus
Freeman - talented player but kicked off
Weston - showed potential in a few games, other games looked very lost
Rory - decent for the last few weeks shooting the ball, cannot play defense at all
Bilau - showed flashes, injury prone
Foumena - jury is still out

We won 9 games. It was a complete disappointment.
6 x
Go Rhody
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

I want to start fresh next season. Wish Leggett chose to stay, but I can understand why he wants to possibly go to a tournament level team.
Last edited by rhodyram22 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago
Thanks for posting the interview, Giovanni.

I found the near end of the video encouraging (considering he will only be here 2 years) where Jaden is asked what he hopes to accomplish at Rhody? He listed: win; A10 Championship; NCAAT (since he hasn’t played in one yet).

Encouraging to me because the staff’s timing to attain a potential NCAAT bid must align with what Jaden hopes to accomplish while here within 2 years otherwise, he wouldn’t commit to Rhody.

Go Rhody!
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Dug a little deeper into some game film on Jaden House today.

First I watched this game against a D2 school. Yes it's a D2 school, but be completely dominated and probably would have scored forty if the coaches didn't rest him for most of the game.

17 minutes 8-10 FG 6-6 2P 2-4 3P 5-7 FT 23 points

Exactly what you want to see against that type of competition.

Then I watched this film from his game at UK in December of 2021. Obviously he struggled in this one. His whole team got demoralized. Still made some shots. Scored 8 points and definitely looked like he belonged athletically.

Before that Kentucky game he played a very nice game against Michigan State. He pretty much kept his team competitive for the entire game. In these highlights you see him do it all. Makes tough threes, jumpers, free throws, takes it to the basket and scores on them in a very impressive manner, passes the ball well. Going into that game the commentators brought up that he was shooting 42% from three. So it's possible he can improve on his 27% from last year.

6-9 FG 3-4 2P 3-5 3P 3-4 FT 18 points.

He also had a 17 point game against Notre Dame earlier that season too.

All that production against the best of the best from a whole season ago and he got better this past season and will be better after an offseason here.

I think he's a lot better than a lot of these doom and gloomers want to believe. Dude is a big time get.
5 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Alex - not very good
Hutch - couldn't even crack the floor - transferred
Harris - never even made it onto campus
Freeman - talented player but kicked off
Weston - showed potential in a few games, other games looked very lost
Rory - decent for the last few weeks shooting the ball, cannot play defense at all
Bilau - showed flashes, injury prone
Foumena - jury is still out

We won 9 games. It was a complete disappointment.
Disappointment is an understatement. We're starting over.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Dug a little deeper into some game film on Jaden House today.

First I watched this game against a D2 school. Yes it's a D2 school, but be completely dominated and probably would have scored forty if the coaches didn't rest him for most of the game.

Then I watched this film from his game at UK in December of 2021. Obviously he struggled in this one. His whole team got demoralized. Still made some shots. Scored 8 points and definitely looked like he belonged athletically.

Before that Kentucky game he played a very nice game against Michigan State. He pretty much kept his team competitive for the entire game. In these highlights you see him do it all. Makes tough threes, jumpers, free throws, takes it to the basket and scores on them in a very impressive manner, passes the ball well. Going into that game the commentators brought up that he was shooting 42% from three. So it's possible he can improve on his 27% from last year.

All that production against the best of the best from a whole season ago and he got better this past season and will be better after an offseason here.

I think he's a lot better than a lot of these doom and gloomers want to believe. Dude is a big time get.
Really good research PRT !!
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Dug a little deeper into some game film on Jaden House today.

18 pts against Michigan State?! Love to see it! Great job by Archie and co.
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

We have 2 freshmen recruits for this year.
No stats on either player, not even for a single game
I'm told I can pay to watch them on internet or go see them live.
I don't know why the stats are not public but I have some ideas.
Do you PMMM have any 1st hand knowledge of the playing ability of the two incoming freshmen?
Still going with you belief that David Cox did no damage to the URI MBB Program as we enter year 6 of the Fall of Rome? I mean Rhody? That was Cox induced?
Do you have 1st hand knowledge of how many AAU games and HS games anyone on this board has been to? Or how many I've been to? Like many, I have not seen either play in-person. Have you seen them play on the college level yet? Until they do, I think we can hold off on judgement.

I'm guessing Jay Wright damaged the Villanova program too, right? And Kyle Neptune too? The program is in shambles. I mean after all, look how bad Villanova was this year. They'll never have another successful team.

David Cox left behind a lousy team...not a lousy program. Do you understand the difference between a team and a program? Scratch that question. I know the answer is no, you don't. (Lavall Jordan didn't damage the Butler program. He just didn't win enough games. Same thing at URI. That is my point. Get over it and move on. Somebody can be a lousy company CEO, not make the profit goals but the company can still be strong and bounce back.)
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

My question is how many years can a company have lousy results before it is called a lousy company. ???
0 x
zach27
Zach "1 and Done" Marbury

Unread post by zach27 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago

I take great pride in the fact I am the only one expecting great players here. Honestly, it's an honor that I am the only one who expects great players here. It's what I expect. Why should I expect anything less?
All of us expect great players it’s just that you won’t accept anything else than greatness
ding, ding. we have a winner.
You are the type of person to ask for a manager at a restaurant.
2 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Great breakdown! It's fun watching these games, right? You get a much clearer picture of what type of player were getting compared to the quick highlight videos. I agree with you. I'm high on House. He's gonna be fun.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Great breakdown! It's fun watching these games, right? You get a much clearer picture of what type of player were getting compared to the quick highlight videos. I agree with you. I'm high on House. He's gonna be fun.
Yeah I've been a big fan of these long-form highlights. Thank the lord for the people that feel like spending all that time editing these lol.

You really can get a very good feel for a player in these. You just don't see absolutely every play, but it definitely has most of them.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

A little break from all the talk about whether Buru is going pro or not.

Check out this basketball arena at High Point. Pretty damn cool in my opinion. It seats 4,200 and looks like a beautiful place. It is part of a convention center/hotel as well. If you click on the video halfway down this page you will see this as well as some really nice suites. And they have a practice court.

https://qubeinarena.com/

Having seen this I had to check out how much it costs to go to High Point ($65,676) and its endowment (139 million in 2020 but it looks to be quite a bit higher now as three families gave the school 100 million dollars in 2022). Would love to have a building like this on the Kingston Campus.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago A little break from all the talk about whether Buru is going pro or not.

Check out this basketball arena at High Point. Pretty damn cool in my opinion. It seats 4,200 and looks like a beautiful place. It is part of a convention center/hotel as well. If you click on the video halfway down this page you will see this as well as some really nice suites. And they have a practice court.

https://qubeinarena.com/

Having seen this I had to check out how much it costs to go to High Point ($65,676) and its endowment (139 million in 2020 but it looks to be quite a bit higher now as three families gave the school 100 million dollars in 2022). Would love to have a building like this on the Kingston Campus.
Someone had called them out on social citing their arena and overall sports investment. Reinforces the point that they take their college sports seriously in the south. That arena is awesome.
0 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Key word "PRIVATE" University
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Ramfan22 wrote: 11 months ago
Let's go! As Archie said, House is a proven D1 scorer and will make an instant impact offensively. I'm excited to see him next season.
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Really feels like this guy could be the key to how successful we can be next season. At least on the offensive end.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cool he is 6’4 I thought he was smaller , I expect him to lead us in scoring next season
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

He has demonstrated the ability to score at this level so, the talent is there. Now Archie and the staff need to scheme on O to get him good opportunities. Monty too, for that matter.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

He may be the first ever unanimous pick here in the prediction contest to lead the team in scoring.
0 x
Go Rhody
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago He may be the first ever unanimous pick here in the prediction contest to lead the team in scoring.
Yeah I also could see Zek Montgomery being that dark horse guy as well.

Not for unanimous pick but to take it from House.
1 x
SandorClegane
Art Stephenson

Unread post by SandorClegane »

I hope House decides to stick with URI. If used correctly, I think he could be a stud next year.
2 x
“The greatest things in life are invisible to the eye”
- Mr. Rogers