'20 G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: 20’ G Jaden House (High Point -> ?)

Unread post by SGreenwell »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago

So that is kind of the point - I think all those guys are good players who do a lot of good things, but collectively it was a disaster at three-point shooting.
I think all of them struggled to initiate their own offense at times though, to varying degrees. Like yeah, Carey was almost always willing to get a shot up, but he might turn it over or make a low percentage try, and at times, Martin and Thomas were "forced" to shoot because he'd be left so wide open. I think Leggett improved as the year went on, but at times I thought even he deferred too much.

House was taking close to 14 shots per game this year, and that plus the FT rate makes me think he's going to look to attack in a way nobody on the roster this year did. Do I think he's going to be an All-A10 player and our savior? Definitely not, but I'd definitely want him on the roster, especially if the defensive profile matches the offense.
I've read many posts about how they can't wait til Martin and Bassy are gone because they can't shoot.

House is only 28% 3P and only 65% FT in a weak conference
Martin is 33% and widely criticized here

A Transfer who is going to be in his 4th year with these shooting percentages I can't see.

Feels like settling to me. Not giving me much encouragement.

I watched every game in the A10 Tournament live at the Barclay Center
Watched VCU, Dayton, St Louis and Fordham in the Semi-Finals and VCU-Dayton in Final.
I came away thinking we did not have a single player on our roster who would start on any of those 4 teams with the possible exception of Leggett - and I'm a big Leggett fan. It would be close, more likely on Fordham or St Louis. And Leggett is now gone.

We need to add players with the potential to start on VCU, Dayton and St Louis.

Would those 3 schools add House? No, certainly not as an expected starter.

D9F2E05F-C009-4D6C-8B92-8EF8B2783DD5.jpeg
I like stats as much as the next guy, but you have to take them in the complete context of a player's profile. House's shooting worries me less because he gets to the line a bunch. His efficiency stats aren't great, absolutely. But I think he can provide as much value as Carey or Martin did. His ceiling to me is average regular or good bench option, and we need some of that on our roster. He strikes me as a reasonable option to pursue, not someone that should be rejected out of hand.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I think all of them struggled to initiate their own offense at times though, to varying degrees. Like yeah, Carey was almost always willing to get a shot up, but he might turn it over or make a low percentage try, and at times, Martin and Thomas were "forced" to shoot because he'd be left so wide open. I think Leggett improved as the year went on, but at times I thought even he deferred too much.

House was taking close to 14 shots per game this year, and that plus the FT rate makes me think he's going to look to attack in a way nobody on the roster this year did. Do I think he's going to be an All-A10 player and our savior? Definitely not, but I'd definitely want him on the roster, especially if the defensive profile matches the offense.
I've read many posts about how they can't wait til Martin and Bassy are gone because they can't shoot.

House is only 28% 3P and only 65% FT in a weak conference
Martin is 33% and widely criticized here

A Transfer who is going to be in his 4th year with these shooting percentages I can't see.

Feels like settling to me. Not giving me much encouragement.

I watched every game in the A10 Tournament live at the Barclay Center
Watched VCU, Dayton, St Louis and Fordham in the Semi-Finals and VCU-Dayton in Final.
I came away thinking we did not have a single player on our roster who would start on any of those 4 teams with the possible exception of Leggett - and I'm a big Leggett fan. It would be close, more likely on Fordham or St Louis. And Leggett is now gone.

We need to add players with the potential to start on VCU, Dayton and St Louis.

Would those 3 schools add House? No, certainly not as an expected starter.

D9F2E05F-C009-4D6C-8B92-8EF8B2783DD5.jpeg
I like stats as much as the next guy, but you have to take them in the complete context of a player's profile. House's shooting worries me less because he gets to the line a bunch. His efficiency stats aren't great, absolutely. But I think he can provide as much value as Carey or Martin did. His ceiling to me is average regular or good bench option, and we need some of that on our roster. He strikes me as a reasonable option to pursue, not someone that should be rejected out of hand.
We disagree
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

URI offense created tons of wide open shots. We rolled out a squad of bricklayers.

Not that guys who attack the basket aren’t valuable but we need shooters who can knock down the deep ball or open mid range shots. I don’t believe shooting stats lie. A step up in competition likely means stats will get worse.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago URI offense created tons of wide open shots. We rolled out a squad of bricklayers.

Not that guys who attack the basket aren’t valuable but we need shooters who can knock down the deep ball or open mid range shots. I don’t believe shooting stats lie. A step up in competition likely means stats will get worse.
I don't disagree with this. But, it's also a chicken-and-egg thing to me. Ideally, we'd have five players that can all drive and shoot. But, we probably have to settle for guys who can do one or the other. If Dubsky can shoot as well as advertised, then a player like House can drive and kick, or drive and finish because Dubsky's man can't help. (I'm using Dubsky because he's a signed recruit, but it could be a transfer. As long as we recruit someone who can shoot, just not 5 guards who all have the same play style.)
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

You don't solve all the ills of the team with 1 player. We had the worst offense in the A10 and one of the worst in the country.
We need bucket getters. We need guys who can create their own shot, get in the paint, and play down hill.
We also need shooters. And bigs that can rebound and defend the paint. But we don't need to get all of that in 1 player.

If House wants to come to Rhody I would take him in a minute and keep filling in around him.
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago URI offense created tons of wide open shots. We rolled out a squad of bricklayers.

I don't disagree with this. But, it's also a chicken-and-egg thing to me. Ideally, we'd have five players that can all drive and shoot. But, we probably have to settle for guys who can do one or the other. If Dubsky can shoot as well as advertised, then a player like House can drive and kick, or drive and finish because Dubsky's man can't help. (I'm using Dubsky because he's a signed recruit, but it could be a transfer. As long as we recruit someone who can shoot, just not 5 guards who all have the same play style.)
What were Dubsky's shooting stats? I have not seen anything, nor been able to find anything despite plenty of searching. Can't even find a single box score

3P%
FT%
Points per game
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago You don't solve all the ills of the team with 1 player. We had the worst offense in the A10 and one of the worst in the country.
We need bucket getters. We need guys who can create their own shot, get in the paint, and play down hill.
We also need shooters. And bigs that can rebound and defend the paint. But we don't need to get all of that in 1 player.

If House wants to come to Rhody I would take him in a minute and keep filling in around him.
Certainly not saying we cure all ills with one player. We have a lot of ills and a lot of need at all 5 positions.

Just not impressed with his 3 years of shooting percentages 3P and FT, or his last season.

The incoming freshmen I can't find any 3P or FT shooting percentages on either of them so I don't know what we have coming in statistically from them.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago You don't solve all the ills of the team with 1 player. We had the worst offense in the A10 and one of the worst in the country.

Certainly not saying we cure all ills with one player. We have a lot of ills and a lot of need at all 5 positions.

Just not impressed with his 3 years of shooting percentages 3P and FT, or his last season.

The incoming freshmen I can't find any 3P or FT shooting percentages on either of them so I don't know what we have coming in statistically from them.
Connor shot over 40% from 3. Sometimes as high as 50% throughout his high school career. FT% was in the 80s
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

What were Dubsky's shooting stats? I have not seen anything, nor been able to find anything despite plenty of searching. Can't even find a single box score

3P%
FT%
Points per game
I don't know, but I'd also caution reading too much into high school stats. The jump in competition is just too much to really account for, and the statistics themselves are typically kept by high school JV players barely paying attention. (At Chariho after one game, we noted that everyone in the starting lineup had been credited with 10+ rebounds - the kid doing it for the first time gave them a rebound anytime they touched the ball on defense.) Sebastian Thomas averaged 25 PPG in high school and shot around 80 percent from the line, IIRC. If you want to know if Dubsky can really shoot, you'll probably have to shell out for one of his prep games, or ask someone from that area who covers his games.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3P%
FT%
Points per game
I don't know, but I'd also caution reading too much into high school stats. The jump in competition is just too much to really account for, and the statistics themselves are typically kept by high school JV players barely paying attention. (At Chariho after one game, we noted that everyone in the starting lineup had been credited with 10+ rebounds - the kid doing it for the first time gave them a rebound anytime they touched the ball on defense.) Sebastian Thomas averaged 25 PPG in high school and shot around 80 percent from the line, IIRC. If you want to know if Dubsky can really shoot, you'll probably have to shell out for one of his prep games, or ask someone from that area who covers his games.
I've gone to more AAU games and tournaments and HS games probably than everyone on this board combined. I know how it works and how it doesn't work.
Dubsky switched high schools his senior year. I can't find anything a single box score on either incoming recruit. I don't know his minutes per game or whether he starts or not.
Didn't used to be that way.
Seems the prep schools (or at least certain prep schools) now want you to pay to watch their games. I refuse to do that. No stats available
It's like they don't want the info getting out.

Play AAU EYBL, etc in summer all the stats are available. Easy to find

Prep schools are a secret.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

nice
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

That's two starters. 3 to go.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Both commitments have been while I’ve been out for mid day drives during work

I think I need to go out more….
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Both commitments have been while I’ve been out for mid day drives during work

I think I need to go on more….
Go out for a quick drive now.

We could end up with Pride before you make it back. lol
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Leggett replacement, seems like a solid get.
1 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 is like Inspector12 of Hanes. If he says it's solid, it's solid. period.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Nice!! Kenny out there doing work. I'm definitely more of a "wait and see" guy these days, but on paper it looks like we're off to a solid start. Let's keep the momentum going!
4 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Progress
0 x
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Rhody15 is like Inspector12 of Hanes. If he says it's solid, it's solid. period.
And realistic
3 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jcru you might’ve been right with the Enoch guess, now let’s see if Pride will come here and be a 3 guard
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Both commitments have been while I’ve been out for mid day drives during work

1 x
wpbrown8267
Art Stephenson

Unread post by wpbrown8267 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Jcru you might’ve been right with the Enoch guess, now let’s see if Pride will come here and be a 3 guard
would love to add Pride and Minor...that would make it four starters. Solid start by Archie and crew!
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Re: 20’ G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

2 ýears of eligibility? Is that right?
2 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Re: 20’ G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Unread post by adam914 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago 2 ýears of eligibility? Is that right?
Yeah, thats what I've seen on a few of the tweets announcing the commitment.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: '20 G Jaden House (High Point -> URI)

Unread post by jcru »

House
Brown
Dubsky
Estevez
Foumena
Stewart
Weston

getting there

at least three more to go, maybe 4
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Pride, Minor, PG, and Leggett comes back?
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I think you need to drive cross country until our roster is filled :)
6 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Damn it, not an ESPN or CBS article.

Guess it doesn’t count.
2 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

LETS GO
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

I’ll try to put something bigger together if I can but here are some clips against Notre Dame.

He had 17, 4 boards… 5-6 from the line.

6 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago LETS GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thank you Archie and staff! More, please.

Go Rhody!
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

I like this signing a lot. Not a flashy commitment, but he seems like a dependable player and a good scorer. He had three seasons of college tape the coaches could review, and they clearly liked what they saw.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
9 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love it !! Great signing !
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Getting the 2-3 year transfers seems to me, to be the best route to success for our program.

4 years in the same program will truly be a rarity.

Now we need a couple of P5 or same level additions, with a proven track record, and we will be on our way to being good again.
0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

I like adding great athletes. I get a bit of a Herb Dixon vibe watching him elevate for the dunk. Dixon was not a great FT shooter either.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We need a PG!
2 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Fastest player we’ve had since fatts
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I know he's not a PG but I really hope we can get Josh Rivera.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago We need a PG!
BIG TIME, I got a feeling we’re gonna end up with that Benjamin kid from MSM, have heard nothing about him media wise which plays in our favor (No visits or updates) seems pretty decent and played well versus the OOC conference competition and also played well while he was at UAB for the first two years, would be happy with him
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I know he's not a PG but I really hope we can get Josh Rivera.
High, high on my list. Only a freshman. Improved as the freshman year went on and led team to Championship game vs Colgate. Lots of upside potential. Please get Rivera.
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Can't win without a great PG.

When we've been good, that's been the case.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I understand the combo guard thing, but I favor a traditional, floor general PG. A pass first, score when needed PG that knows the offense and strengths and weaknesses almost as well as the coaches.

I hope we get one who can start next season.
1 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

ace wrote: 1 year ago I like this signing a lot. Not a flashy commitment, but he seems like a dependable player and a good scorer. He had three seasons of college tape the coaches could review, and they clearly liked what they saw.
Under rated comment... One of the big draws of the portal is all the guys have synergy film. You can see all their plays in certain situations with a few clicks of a button. Much easier to scout and get a read vs watching a full game against inconsistent competition.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I understand the combo guard thing, but I favor a traditional, floor general PG. A pass first, score when needed PG that knows the offense and strengths and weaknesses almost as well as the coaches.

I hope we get one who can start next season.
Given Archie's success with Scoochie Smith, and the way Archie played himself, my guess is that is the profile of the kind of PG he likes too.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

It’s not 1995

Need multiple players to handle the ball. Miller is not stuck in the past. Bob Cousy ain’t walking through the door.
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!