'22 PG/SG Always Wright (NEO A&M JC ---> URI)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: '22 PG/SG Always Wright (NEO A&M JC ---> URI)

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RhodyRams12 wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago So when will we be playing in this tourney?
Didn’t we play in it last year
Yes lol
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

November 2022.
0 x
Go Rhody
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I know we played in this last year - but since Wright's father runs the event....
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

:ugeek:
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago I know we played in this last year - but since Wright's father runs the event....
Can only play in MTEs once every four years, Wright won’t be on the team the next time we can play in it.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Yes, we lost to K-State (Always dad's school). I wonder if this is where the recruitment of Always started.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Yes, we lost to K-State (Always dad's school). I wonder if this is where the recruitment of Always started.
Yeah I was wondering that too , maybe Arch talked to his dad there ??
1 x
The Dude
Tom Garrick

Unread post by The Dude »

Now that we have a player with this kind of name, we need to find a better announcer to do it justice. I'm cringing as I envision the various ways in which Yorke will butcher this kids name.
7 x
"Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds!" - Marcus Garvey
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

giovanni wrote: 1 year ago As Billyboy said the father is CEO of Cayman Island Classic

love the beach/ocean background!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

0 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

My only question is if he can defend. He might be the best shooter we have had on the team in years.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I'm excited about this kid. He may be special.
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
He's well spoken.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Nice interview, I like how he said he wanted to play for a coach who was a point guard , let’s hope he turns out great
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Love this kids attitude, he’s just the type of player I want to root for
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago My only question is if he can defend. He might be the best shooter we have had on the team in years.
Tremendous statement here.

Kid hasn’t played a second of D1 basketball and he’s already potentially the best shooter we’ve had in years?

Come on.
0 x
Go Rhody
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
DeanDome88 wrote: 1 year ago My only question is if he can defend. He might be the best shooter we have had on the team in years.
Tremendous statement here.

Kid hasn’t played a second of D1 basketball and he’s already potentially the best shooter we’ve had in years?

Come on.
Normally I agree with this - however virtually ANY player we sign could be the best shooter we've had in years.
The bar is not high.
8 x
Rammgr
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Rammgr »

If nothing else he is a good FT that can play PG. Will a plus at end of close games As Kortight doesn’t appear to be the guy u want with the ball when the other team is fouling.
2 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I admit I'm really interested to see this kid take the court in a Rhody uniform. Every bit as much as House, Montgomery, Brown, or Kortright.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 11 months ago I admit I'm really interested to see this kid take the court in a Rhody uniform. Every bit as much as House, Montgomery, Brown, or Kortright.
His highlight reel is as good as or better than anyone we have signed. He's very polished, which isn't surprising since his dad was a pro.

I'm having a hard time understanding why he wasn't more sought after. Makes me wonder if the competition he played at the JUCO level wasn't very good, because he pretty much dominated.

He's athletic, he has a nice looking shot, above average quick release, he keeps his head up, finds the open man, plays with poise like...what exactly is he lacking? He needs to put on weight for sure and he said that's his first priority. He doesn't look like the most athletic guy I've ever seen, but he doesn't look slow at all.

Always, House and Zek have the best film that I've seen. They look ready and appear to have the most upside.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 11 months ago
jcru wrote: 11 months ago I admit I'm really interested to see this kid take the court in a Rhody uniform. Every bit as much as House, Montgomery, Brown, or Kortright.
His highlight reel is as good as or better than anyone we have signed. He's very polished, which isn't surprising since his dad was a pro.

I'm having a hard time understanding why he wasn't more sought after. Makes me wonder if the competition he played at the JUCO level wasn't very good, because he pretty much dominated.

He's athletic, he has a nice looking shot, above average quick release, he keeps his head up, finds the open man, plays with poise like...what exactly is he lacking? He needs to put on weight for sure and he said that's his first priority. He doesn't look like the most athletic guy I've ever seen, but he doesn't look slow at all.

Always, House and Zek have the best film that I've seen. They look ready and appear to have the most upside.
Jersey said it earlier in the thread he played against some very good JUCO schools including Indian Hills (#1 JUCO team in the country which they beat) there are some duds they did play against but he did get his fair test of good competition
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Decent size too, listed at 6'3".
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Agreed.. I remember I texted a few Rhody fans saying how talented he looked on offense while watching a handful of his games. I had and still have doubts because, literally, no one was offering him. He can shoot and score, but what I was really impressed with was his IQ. When his team needed to calm down or run a set play, he was their go-to. A good guard knows when to score or feed the hot hand. He did that really well in the games I watched.

House and Luis will start but Always should have a nice role immediately.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Did you watch sbrand's interview with the guy that covers Quinnipiac?

According to him, Always and Luis don't even play the same position. Luis was the sometimes starter at the 3 last year, they had a dedicated PG and SG who both started full time. Sometimes Luis was their 6th man. It's all in that interview.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 11 months ago Did you watch sbrand's interview with the guy that covers Quinnipiac?

According to him, Always and Luis don't even play the same position. Luis was the sometimes starter at the 3 last year, they had a dedicated PG and SG who both started full time. Sometimes Luis was their 6th man. It's all in that interview.
Yup Desi Jones and Balanc are both very good players. Kortright played the 1-3 for them last year in the games I watched. I’m sure Archie will enjoy having a versatile player like Kortright.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

sounds like the kind of player who is great at backing up the 1-3
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

jcru wrote: 11 months ago sounds like the kind of player who is great at backing up the 1-3
Unfortunately we don’t have a backcourt like Quinnipiac had last year so I don’t see how Kortright isn’t a starter for us.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm old enough to remember, almost 24 years ago, people on these very message boards saying that Lamar Odom was going to be our starting point guard, to the point where if you said, er, I don't know about that, they would start a massive argument with you, including "you don't know anything about basketball". I was young then, in my 20's, I remember Rod telling me to basically let it go.

Needless to say, Lamar, despite playing point guard years earlier before his 7 inch growth spurt, wasn't our starting point guard that year.

So, weirder things have been proposed than someone who played small forward last year for his previous team, being suggested as the starting point guard this year on this team. We do have two players who basically do nothing but PG on this team already however.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

steveystuds06 wrote: 11 months ago
jcru wrote: 11 months ago sounds like the kind of player who is great at backing up the 1-3
Unfortunately we don’t have a backcourt like Quinnipiac had last year so I don’t see how Kortright isn’t a starter for us.
If our backcourt can't be as good as what Quinnipiac had last year, what else is there to say?....QUINNIPIAC!!!....geesh.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago
If our backcourt can't be as good as what Quinnipiac had last year, what else is there to say?....QUINNIPIAC!!!....geesh.
Well when he arrived here we didn't have a backcourt like QU.

But I mean now it's a better backcourt. We have an older Luis, Jaden House who was better than any of them then Always, Zek, Weston, Cam and Dubsky.

At the end of the day we'll be plenty better than QU's backcourt lol
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

But I mean now it's a better backcourt. We have an older Luis, Jaden House who was better than any of them then Always, Zek, Weston, Cam and Dubsky.

Can't put Always, Estevez and Dubsky into that group and say they're better than a proven, productive D1 backcourt like QU's.
0 x
Go Rhody
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Always Wright never wrong
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago

Can't put Always, Estevez and Dubsky into that group and say they're better than a proven, productive D1 backcourt like QU's.
My thought into it is

We will have a more experienced and likely better version of Luis Kortight

House is better than Balanc

Then we just need more pridiction out of Weston, Zek, Always, Cam and Dubsky than QU got out of one Dezi Jones to say we have a better group of guards.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Yes I thought Quinnipiac had a good backcourt last year. I’d love to hear your thoughts on Dezi Jones and Balanc? I personally think they would be good A10 players and would be near the top of our rotation next year. That doesn’t mean guys like Cam Always and Connor can’t become better players down the road but right now Jones and Balanc are better.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago

My thought into it is

We will have a more experienced and likely better version of Luis Kortight

House is better than Balanc

Then we just need more pridiction out of Weston, Zek, Always, Cam and Dubsky than QU got out of one Dezi Jones to say we have a better group of guards.
When I made my comment I personally wasn’t adding Weston and Zek as I think they play more of a hybrid wing/4 this year since we likely go small. But yes Zek and Weston are strong players. Especially Zek.

I looked at it this way.
Dezi, Balanc, Kortright

Vs

Kortright, House, Always, Cam, Connor

Right now. I would take Quinnipiacs backcourt over ours. That could change as I think Cam will be great eventually and Always seems to have a lot of talent. We’ll see
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Yes I thought Quinnipiac had a good backcourt last year. I’d love to hear your thoughts on Dezi Jones and Balanc? I personally think they would be good A10 players and would be near the top of our rotation next year. That doesn’t mean guys like Cam Always and Connor can’t become better players down the road but right now Jones and Balanc are better.
I'll admit that other than the game we played them I never watched Quinnipiac. But Quiinipiac should NEVER have a backcourt, frontcourt, ANY court better than URI. It's QUINNIPIAC!!!.....and it's not hockey.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

I'll admit that other than the game we played them I never watched Quinnipiac. But Quiinipiac should NEVER have a backcourt, frontcourt, ANY court better than URI. It's QUINNIPIAC!!!.....and it's not hockey.
And we have a two game losing streak to them in basketball 🤮
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Well let’s hope some our incoming guards are the real deal.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Well let’s hope some our incoming guards are the real deal.
Well they can start by making wide open shots.

Hell improve from like 360th to 200th in FG% and we make a massive jump.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Ways is here.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Good for him , seems like a fun kid to root for
1 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Loved the tempo that Ways played at the Assumption game, fast and smart. He will be fun to watch as the season develops.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 months ago Loved the tempo that Ways played at the Assumption game, fast and smart. He will be fun to watch as the season develops.
He sure can get the ball up the court very quickly. He's going to be a very good player here. His main weakness is his outside shot. He has a very bad release as he kind of pushes the ball. But I know he's working hard to improve. His brother is a better shooter. I hope he comes here too.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 5 months ago Loved the tempo that Ways played at the Assumption game, fast and smart. He will be fun to watch as the season develops.
He sure can get the ball up the court very quickly. He's going to be a very good player here. His main weakness is his outside shot. He has a very bad release as he kind of pushes the ball. But I know he's working hard to improve. His brother is a better shooter. I hope he comes here too.
His shot is unorthodox for sure, but I believe he shot it at 40% from 3 in Juco. I don’t expect that here but even if he settles in mid 30% it will be wholesale better than what we had last year. At this point most guys don’t change their mechanics even tho I agree with you his could use some work.
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 5 months ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 5 months ago
His shot is unorthodox for sure, but I believe he shot it at 40% from 3 in Juco. I don’t expect that here but even if he settles in mid 30% it will be wholesale better than what we had last year. At this point most guys don’t change their mechanics even tho I agree with you his could use some work.
Yeah, I just found a PROJO article that says he shot them at 43.4% last year. I guess I don't care if he shoots them underhanded if he's making them at that clip. :)
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Ways looks like that classic point guard very quick good passer , reminds me of LaMelo Ball without the jumper
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Ways looks like that classic point guard very quick good passer , reminds me of LaMelo Ball without the jumper
LaMelo isn’t known for shooting.

You’re probably just saying this because they have similar hair lol

Love when there’s one good game and we start comparing our players to NBA talent, happens every year.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

reef wrote: 5 months ago Ways looks like that classic point guard very quick good passer , reminds me of LaMelo Ball without the jumper
I get where you are coming from, Reef. I like the player and I favor classic point guards. I think the O will be in good hands with Ways and Hammond (when he gets here).

Not to speak for you but I often see similarities in styles of play and in certain basketball characteristics (handle, shot release, go to move, etc) in different players college to college, college to pro, etc. It doesn’t mean I expect the same production, efficiency, ceiling, etc.
0 x