'22 SF Buru Naivalurua (Garden City CC ---> Oakland )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: '22 SF Buru Naivalurua (Garden City CC ---> Oakland )

Unread post by jcru »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Let’s see him have a good year and get him in the portal next year.
He's gone, the same way Ousmane was. Time to close up this thread and move on. who are our other recruits? it's been very quiet since Buru's visit.

When RV first mentioned Myles Foster would be a package deal with Charles Pride, it was booed on this site. No! We just want Pride, we don't want Foster. Now, it seems, we would be lucky to get him at this late hour, among many other A-10 teams after him. What a difference a few weeks makes.
0 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago Let’s see him have a good year and get him in the portal next year.
No chance he wastes his transfer on us
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago
He's gone, the same way Ousmane was. Time to close up this thread and move on. who are our other recruits? it's been very quiet since Buru's visit.

When RV first mentioned Myles Foster would be a package deal with Charles Pride, it was booed on this site. No! We just want Pride, we don't want Foster. Now, it seems, we would be lucky to get him at this late hour, among many other A-10 teams after him. What a difference a few weeks makes.
Much different than Ousmane, although both never made it here.

It isn't that late hour, many teams have more spots to fill than us and plenty of quality players still in the portal.
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

We need a stealth train surprise.

This Buru one pretty weird…
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago The recruiting trip to URI video on instagram that Buru's sister made tells a very different story than that.
It was an official visit - it looked like most every official visit we have. Yes the staff was interested in him to fill out the roster, that does not mean it is a huge loss that he went to a team that has been recruiting him for months.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago We need a stealth train surprise.

This Buru one pretty weird…
Can this stupid stealth shit be put to bed?

You want another stealth recruit/transfer who’s a stiff like we got all last year?

No thanks.
2 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The stealth thing really triggers you eh? It’s not that serious
2 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rhodylaw wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago The recruiting trip to URI video on instagram that Buru's sister made tells a very different story than that.
It was an official visit - it looked like most every official visit we have. Yes the staff was interested in him to fill out the roster, that does not mean it is a huge loss that he went to a team that has been recruiting him for months.
The team's priority list isn't the order that the players come here. You have no idea where Buru was on our priority list. Our top priority might still not be on the team. If we got Brandon Gardner with our 13th scholarship, was he brought in just to fill out the roster? These are not draft picks.
4 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The stealth thing really triggers you eh? It’s not that serious

26AF5163-420D-4AD1-9368-DF4ADE4003D3.gif
26AF5163-420D-4AD1-9368-DF4ADE4003D3.gif (96.84 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago The stealth thing really triggers you eh? It’s not that serious
It’s
Too
Easy…

:)

🥷 🚂
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 1 year ago I was a Buru guy. Thought he'd bring some excitement to the Ryan Center.

Staff - please sign one more 6'9"-6'11" guy that can defend, rebound and has decent enough hands to score off drop offs.
At this point, a Hunter Dean level big via the portal is my adjusted expectation.
Yes RB12, I would be very satisfied if we can get Hunter Dean or someone similar in the portal.
I believe he is still available.
Maybe he has found memories of what was probably the best game of his life last year in the Ryan Center? :lol:
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

No chance that Hunter Dean transfers here. Why would he do that? He would be leaving a better team in the same conference. And it did not work at so well for one of his former teammates.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Do you think URI could get Oakland on the schedule? Would a 2-1 series offer with a game in Kingston and TWO at Oakland do it? :P
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I'm still shocked. You'd think if the URI President showed up at the Buru Bash the deal would get done.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago At URI, he was going to be competing with Brown, Rory, Foumena and Bilau for minutes. Not exactly the same opportunity
That's kind of a weird argument, but it seems like the prevailing one here, over the last 12 hours or so.

Brown is a low post player, listed as a C, which he is by the NJCAA website and his former school's website, he's meant to be a walking double-double.

Buru is a physical stretch four. The only one in that list he would have been competing against would be Rory. He doesn't even play the same position as Brown and Bilau, and we have no real idea what Foumena does, we have way more film available to us for Buru than him.

I really doubt he was scared to go up against Rory for playing time. In the same way, there is not a snowball's chance in hell, Brown envisions himself as anything but the starter at the 5, which is good, because we DESPERATELY need rebounding on this team.
Yeah I’m not buying this either , sounded to me he would have been our best player so I’m pretty disappointed
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago At URI, he was going to be competing with Brown, Rory, Foumena and Bilau for minutes. Not exactly the same opportunity
That's kind of a weird argument, but it seems like the prevailing one here, over the last 12 hours or so.

Brown is a low post player, listed as a C, which he is by the NJCAA website and his former school's website, he's meant to be a walking double-double.

Buru is a physical stretch four. The only one in that list he would have been competing against would be Rory. He doesn't even play the same position as Brown and Bilau, and we have no real idea what Foumena does, we have way more film available to us for Buru than him.

I really doubt he was scared to go up against Rory for playing time. In the same way, there is not a snowball's chance in hell, Brown envisions himself as anything but the starter at the 5, which is good, because we DESPERATELY need rebounding on this team.
Yeah I’m not buying this either , sounded to me he would have been our best player so I’m pretty disappointed
Please enlighten us on how a juco freshman, with offers from pretty bad schools, would be our best player over multiple accomplished D1 players.

Would love to hear it.
2 x
Go Rhody
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good point Rhody 15 . When have w e seen aJuco guy come to URI and have a major impact ? The Juco guys have all ended up being role players at best .
I only hope Wright can be a little more than a part time role player , but they don't have to count on Wright because they have both Estevez and
Kourtright available .
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Good point Rhody 15 . When have w e seen aJuco guy come to URI and have a major impact ? The Juco guys have all ended up being role players at best .
I only hope Wright can be a little more than a part time role player , but they don't have to count on Wright because they have both Estevez and
Kourtright available .
Xavier Munford scored over 1000 points in 2 years.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Please enlighten us on how a juco freshman, with offers from pretty bad schools, would be our best player over multiple accomplished D1 players.

Would love to hear it.
1. He was a JUCO All American as a JUCO freshman
2. How many JUCO All Americans have we had in the past? And
3. His competition would have been Rory for the starting spot

I didn’t realize you were such a Rory Stewart fan, 15. “Accomplished D1 player”. Wow. Heady stuff indeed. I’ll mark you down.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Oh, I think I see the connection here,15.

You graduated in ‘15, Rory wears the number 15.

Easy to remember. Even better.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

luke wrote: 1 year ago Good point Rhody 15 . When have w e seen aJuco guy come to URI and have a major impact ? The Juco guys have all ended up being role players at best .
Kourtright available .
Luke just downgraded our starting Center, Tyson Brown, to a role player. Wow
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

It’s amazing how fluid these player evaluations are from day to day with some. Have you noticed?

One day, the roster is loaded with stealth recruits from last year who have no business being on the floor at this level.

And the following day, they are all accomplished D1 players that Buru couldn’t possibly hope to be better than, he’s literally “Mr Irrelevant” the last pick in the 7th round of the NFL draft according to Law, because we were going to use the “12th scholarship” on him so he has to go to the end of the que like he’s last in line at Disney world to go on space mountain

Or are we going with Jalen Carey at the 4, like someone suggested in the poll tread? The ultra small SMURF lineup
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Would love to hear it.

I didn’t realize you were such a Rory Stewart fan, 15. “Accomplished D1 player”. Wow. Heady stuff indeed. I’ll mark you down.
Uh, what?

Reef said he’d be the best player on the TEAM, not the best forward.

How the hell did you connect Rory to “accomplished D1 player?”

Last I checked, we will have multiple kids who significantly contributed on their previous team.

Jaden House made honorable mention Big South, which is basically A10 third team, as the Big South has only first and second team.

Montgomery was voted most improved player in his conference.

Kortright, All Rookie Team.

Like I said, accomplished D1 players.
0 x
Go Rhody
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Can we move on and speculate about who else we might get?

Really not the end of the world here. Yes we lost a recruiting battle here, but Buru was not guaranteed to be a starter here and while he isn't a center, we often play only one big. Can't dismiss the fact that he may have liked the idea of being the focal point of Oakland's offense.

He flashed big time in Juco, but I still wasn't sure how well his athleticism would translate at this level. He was obviously athletic, but I think he might lack some quickness. Like his shot develops slowly. Same with his post moves.

It's not out of the realm of possibility we can get someone else with similar capabilities.

Dino mentioned Ali Ali, we would be happy with that. Even the Seton Hall forward as a developmental piece who has great height and athleticism.

We'll see how it shakes out.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Move on? This is prime message board fodder right here! Archie and Co. roll out the red carpet, bring the President out and we can't close the deal and then lose the kid to.... Oakland. So much to unpack with this kid's recruitment.
3 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Scared isn’t how I’d describe it, but everything is a risk.

The kid is taking a risk traveling across the world to play the sport he loves. It’s ultimately a risk to join a team with a lot of players competing for playing time.

I also don’t fully agree with how this board is so static in describing players positions and how that lines up on the court. You aren’t mandated to have a “4” and/or “5” and then also play them simultaneously. Who’s to say we don’t play small ball at points and play Brown at the “5”. Lines ups are lot more flexible these days.
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

Can we please get a Favour Aire sighting? Buru was a tough breakup. I need a rebound recruit.
3 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

jcru , I didn't mention Brown at all . I just stated a fact . We have yet to have a Juco be a major impact player . Is that not correct ? If not who was that player ? I did mention that I hope Wright can be more impactful , but we won't know until he plays . The same could be said for Brown or Buru or
in fact for the incoming freshmen as well . Of course we hope for more than that from them.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

luke wrote: 1 year ago jcru , I didn't mention Brown at all . I just stated a fact . We have yet to have a Juco be a major impact player . Is that not correct ? If not who was that player ? I did mention that I hope Wright can be more impactful , but we won't know until he plays . The same could be said for Brown or Buru or
in fact for the incoming freshmen as well . Of course we hope for more than that from them.
You didn't consider Xavier Munford a major impact player?
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

luke wrote: 1 year ago jcru , I didn't mention Brown at all . I just stated a fact . We have yet to have a Juco be a major impact player . Is that not correct ? If not who was that player ? I did mention that I hope Wright can be more impactful , but we won't know until he plays . The same could be said for Brown or Buru or
You didn't consider Xavier Munford a major impact player?
Andre berry. He had 1.5 seasons of a major impact
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

Good points sevegny , I forgot that both were Jucos , and yes I consider them both impactful .
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Would love to hear it.

Uh, what?

Last I checked, we will have multiple kids who significantly contributed on their previous team.

Jaden House made honorable mention Big South, which is basically A10 third team, as the Big South has only first and second team.

Fine, but honestly, since when have we ever compared frontcourt players and backcourt players? I don't think reef was actually suggesting that Buru was better than all those guards. In that sense "one of the best players on the team" simply means someone who was likely to be in the starting lineup.

At least that's what I meant. It's like the two guys running from the lion: you don't have to outrun the lion, just the other person.

Buru merely had to be better than the person(s) he was competing with for a starting position.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Uh, what?

Fine, but honestly, since when have we ever compared frontcourt players and backcourt players? I don't think reef was actually suggesting that Buru was better than all those guards. In that sense "one of the best players on the team" simply means someone who was likely to be in the starting lineup.

At least that's what I meant. It's like the two guys running from the lion: you don't have to outrun the lion, just the other person.

Buru merely had to be better than the person(s) he was competing with for a starting position.
“Sounded to me he would have been our best player” - that was Reef’s direct quote.

There really isn’t any other way to interpret that.

Reef actually thought Buru would be the best player on the team, yes over all those guards.
Last edited by Rhody15 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

You got me there.

I think Brown is going to be a good one, and I think Buru, according to the pundits at least, would have been on a similar level with a fairly different skill set. Moot point now, though.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Can we move on and speculate about who else we might get?

Really not the end of the world here. Yes we lost a recruiting battle here, but Buru was not guaranteed to be a starter here and while he isn't a center, we often play only one big. Can't dismiss the fact that he may have liked the idea of being the focal point of Oakland's offense.

He flashed big time in Juco, but I still wasn't sure how well his athleticism would translate at this level. He was obviously athletic, but I think he might lack some quickness. Like his shot develops slowly. Same with his post moves.

It's not out of the realm of possibility we can get someone else with similar capabilities.

Dino mentioned Ali Ali, we would be happy with that. Even the Seton Hall forward as a developmental piece who has great height and athleticism.

Aside from who I mentioned earlier wouldn't mind taking a look at this player, 1-year loaner.
This is total guesswork and no idea of any mutual interest.
Also no idea what P6 teams may get involved.

Some top-rated Div.2 players had a major impact in Div.1.
The only remote connection here would be Joe Mazzula.
He was a freshman at Fairmont State when Mazzula was HC and transferred when JM left for the Celtics.

Also shot 40% from 3PT.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago Can we move on and speculate about who else we might get?

Aside from who I mentioned earlier wouldn't mind taking a look at this player, 1-year loaner.

He was a freshman at Fairmont State when Mazzula was HC and transferred when JM left for the Celtics.

Also shot 40% from 3PT.
Brother of former football punter and basketball walk on, Rex Sunahara.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Also shot 40% from 3PT.
Yes 15 correct.
R J was also NABC National Player of the Year.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sure if you guys like him, I’m game. Wasn’t Jerry Rice a division 2 player? And Greg Lloyd of the Steelers?

Stranger things have happened.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Sure if you guys like him, I’m game. Wasn’t Jerry Rice a division 2 player? And Greg Lloyd of the Steelers?

Creighton forward Ryan Hawkins (21-22) was also a Div. 2 All- American.
He made 2nd Team All-BE and averaged 14 pts/ 8 rebs
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Sure if you guys like him, I’m game. Wasn’t Jerry Rice a division 2 player? And Greg Lloyd of the Steelers?

Remember Fairleigh Dickinson had some D2 players on the team this year when they took down Purdue.

Your beat D2 players are often D1 caliber.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Remember Fairleigh Dickinson had some D2 players on the team this year when they took down Purdue.

Your best D2 players are often D1 caliber.
Yep PRT, see my post above on Ryan Hawkins.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

0 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

Sunahara's dad is the volleyball coach at WVU. Wasn't that part of the reason why his older brother Rex left URI and went to WVU?
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago Sunahara's dad is the volleyball coach at WVU. Wasn't that part of the reason why his older brother Rex left URI and went to WVU?
They have reached out to him already
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

Time to retire this thread....he's didnt come here.

Nothing against Buru, seems like he's good, but if he was to be our best player as some here have said, then we are in tough shape imo.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Also shot 40% from 3PT.
Yes 15 correct.
R J was also NABC National Player of the Year.
Wow I love the Mazzulla connection, worth a look
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Mississippi Valley State had already moved up to FCS right before Rice joined the team
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Checking boxscores and saw Oakland was beating Xavier. Clicked on it and recognized this name.

Averaging 4 points and 2 rebounds, 12 minutes a game.

Listed as a junior.

Doesn’t seem like a miss, glad he chose Oakland.
1 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

rambone 78 wrote: 1 year ago Time to retire this thread....he's didnt come here.

Nothing against Buru, seems like he's good, but if he was to be our best player as some here have said, then we are in tough shape imo.
This was fun to see
0 x