'22 SF Buru Naivalurua (Garden City CC ---> Oakland )

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

'22 SF Buru Naivalurua (Garden City CC ---> Oakland )

Unread post by Dino611 »

Buru Naivalurua - SF
Hometown: Yagoona, Australia
School: Endeavor Sports High School
Initial College: Garden City Community College
Instagram: buru_16
Twitter: ApolosaBuru

Height: 6'8"
Weight: 235

- Garden City stats 2022-23
- Picked First Team All-KJCCC Men's Basketball
- Ranked #29 by JUCO Recruiting for the 2023 class
- A good, long article from September 2021 about his difficulties getting into the country, and his ability being recognized back home

OFFERS - 2023
Rhode Island (visited 4/15/23)
Cal State Bakersfield
Cal State Fullerton
Duquesne
ETSU
Iona
Montana State
Oakland
Portland
Samford
Southern Indiana
St. Bonaventure
Tarleton State
Texas State
Tulsa

3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 22’ F Buru Naivalurua (JUCO)

Unread post by jcru »

Would like to see an update on this guy.

It would appear that Minor may be out of the picture
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Would like to see an update on this guy.

It would appear that Minor may be out of the picture
Wouldn’t count on it, Minor said he’d visit all of the places first and then commit, here’s to hoping tho!

But no updates on Buru jcru
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Per SteveyS, in the General Visits thread, Buru is on a visit to campus today. 👍🏼

Great day for a campus visit.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Unread post by rhodyram22 »

This guy would be a great addition to our front court.
Last edited by rhodyram22 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by CamsRams »

2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago
Hrstrat57 likey! Get this done!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow very hopeful, let’s go !!
1 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

This guy looks like a serious building block for our program. Hope it gets done.
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Let's get this one!!!! Thanks Stevey for keeping me informed!!!!
2 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

This would seriously solidify the frontcourt. Hope he likes it here.
1 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Last edited by rhodyram22 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago So if we get this guy, Kortright and a starting PG where do you guys think we stand on paper? I think top 4 A10.
22, I think you need to pump the brakes a little.
Let's see how our roster shakes out along with the rest of the A10.

Remember we just finished 14th and lost our best player and also our 2nd leading scorer.
3 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago So if we get this guy, Kortright and a starting PG where do you guys think we stand on paper? I think top 4 A10.

Remember we just finished 14th and lost our best player and also our 2nd leading scorer.
Ok sorry. I deleted that stupid take.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also have to wait and see what the hell is going on at Dayton, I swear I hear a different rumor every day 😂😂
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think Buru would be a good pickup. A power forward that can score.

I hope they are a bit more selective with the scholarship(s) they have left after that. Is time running out for the transfers? Yeah, but there is still 3 weeks left, it's not like anyone else is even considering Kortright, I don't see the urgency to have this wrapped up by Wed or whatever.

There are still a small handful of difference maker type players that we are involved with who are not going to ride out the entire process, taking all of their visits and whatnot. Pride being one of them. I would hold out for a player like that who COULD mean the difference between "middle of the pack" A-10, and upper 1/3rd.

edit.

sometimes I accidently throw a "negative" in there just for the heck of it. It was meant to read: are going to ride out the entire process
Last edited by jcru 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah let’s see how we look after the next 3 signings but if they are all solid a top half finish isn’t out of the question considering this is a league in flux
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think Buru would be a good pickup. A power forward that can score.

I hope they are a bit more selective with the scholarship(s) they have left after that. Is time running out for the transfers? Yeah, but there is still 3 weeks left, it's not like anyone else is even considering Kortright, I don't see the urgency to have this wrapped up by Wed or whatever.

There are still a small handful of difference maker type players that we are involved with who are not going to ride out the entire process, taking all of their visits and whatnot. Pride being one of them. I would hold out for a player like that who COULD mean the difference between "middle of the pack" A-10, and upper 1/3rd.

edit.

sometimes I accidently throw a "negative" in there just for the heck of it. It was meant to read: are going to ride out the entire process
Jcru like I said before not hearing about what schools have reached out to a transfer when enters the portal doesn’t mean we’re the only one who is considering him lol
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If you aren't hearing what other schools are recruiting him, then the average person out there definitely isn't either. So the perception will be, no one else was recruting him.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you aren't hearing what other schools are recruiting him, then the average person out there definitely isn't either. So the perception will be, no one else was recruting him.
I’m sorry that’s not how it works behind the scenes, but yes to the public eye you are correct

I’ve heard some other schools have reached out to him, funny enough two of them are in the A-10, but I haven’t had another source confirm it yet so I don’t want to release false info

We probably won’t hear about what other schools recruited him officially and confirmed until Bill Koch writes up an article if/when he commits here
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Dino, I like you. But you know what was great about what happened last year? Don't expect everyone to just have a parade everytime they sign someone this year. There is much more scrutiny in year two. And expect even more in year three.

This mentality like we are going to be the island of misfit toys and somehow repair everyone and form a team that can compete for the Conference championship is a little like selling ice to the Eskimos. I would rather they go after players in a crowd of interested, like minded schools, and lose the head to head recruiting battle than just go after players because they are so far under the radar no one else is even aware they exist.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah let’s see how we look after the next 3 signings but if they are all solid a top half finish isn’t out of the question considering this is a league in flux
We have three more signings left?
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm guessing three if Alex T were to leave, otherwise two.

Someone suggested Alex would probably stay or go depending on who they get in the recruiting over process. I would imagine if they landed Buru, then Alex would become redundant to the point where it wouldn't make sense to stay and just sit and watch.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

If they got Buru, Pride and the kid from Baylor, Dale Bonner, I think at that point, you could start making some typical, outlandish predictions like we all have a tendency to do, and there would be a chance the talent level could actually make good on it.

It's a fantasy, sure, but it's my fantasy.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Dino, I like you. But you know what was great about what happened last year? Don't expect everyone to just have a parade everytime they sign someone this year. There is much more scrutiny in year two. And expect even more in year three.

This mentality like we are going to be the island of misfit toys and somehow repair everyone and form a team that can compete for the Conference championship is a little like selling ice to the Eskimos. I would rather they go after players in a crowd of interested, like minded schools, and lose the head to head recruiting battle than just go after players because they are so far under the radar no one else is even aware they exist.
I couldn’t agree more with you jcru, I’m totally all in for what you’re saying we saw that a month ago at the beginning of the portal with all the big names coming out. I don’t want to have that mentality either. Part of me also thinks we’ve only heard probably 50% of the played Archie and his staff have actually talked to. As well as there could’ve been players that could have visited campus this spring that we have no idea about.

The only reason why I’m not coming down hard on Archie for Luis is that I feel like there is more to the story. Looking at the PGs we’ve been after in the portal makes it look like this is a little patch / temporary piece to have for a year or two and then have Cam or Jalen Dunkley-Distant be the star PG going forward
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago

We have three more signings left?
Yep three open schollies, CamRams has a scholarship tracker spreadsheet in another thread making it easy to keep track
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

This is the type of player that makes me excited to go to the game. He has that "can't wait to see what he'll do next" quality.
In general, we were a team that played below the rim last year. That seems to be changing for the better.
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you aren't hearing what other schools are recruiting him, then the average person out there definitely isn't either. So the perception will be, no one else was recruting him.
I’m sorry that’s not how it works behind the scenes, but yes to the public eye you are correct

I’ve heard some other schools have reached out to him, funny enough two of them are in the A-10, but I haven’t had another source confirm it yet so I don’t want to release false info

We probably won’t hear about what other schools recruited him officially and confirmed until Bill Koch writes up an article if/when he commits here
It looks like St. Bonaventure and Fordham were in on Luis coming out of high school, so it wouldn't be a surprise if they're in on him now. If Mark Schmidt is in on a player I have no problem with out staff also being in
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

St. Bonaventure and Fordham lost a recruiting battle to Quinnipiac? Yeah, not likely.
0 x
Backroads
Jeff Kent

Unread post by Backroads »

Anything from his visit?
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Nothing as of yet just know he’s on visit and he’s followed two of the assistant coaches on insta
3 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

This is a guy that would flutter the needle a little bit lol. I hope we could close the deal after the visit. I really like his potential
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

In honor of Buru’s weekend visit.

2 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

I’m not against Luis but I want this guy more.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago I’m not against Luis but I want this guy more.
Agreed. It would suck to not have Buru commit. He's loaded with upside.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Sound of Sweet Silence leading up to Buru commit? Here’s hoping…
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Every one of our recruits are followed by one of our assistant coaches on twitter except for one. Kenny follows a lot of them, Duane some, some both Duane and Kenny, Austin has a few. Only Buru isn't followed by any of our coaches, Don't know if it means anything, just pointing it out.
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Every one of our recruits are followed by one of our assistant coaches on twitter except for one. Kenny follows a lot of them, Duane some, some both Duane and Kenny, Austin has a few. Only Buru isn't followed by any of our coaches, Don't know if it means anything, just pointing it out.
Kenny Johnson follows him on Instagram
1 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Every one of our recruits are followed by one of our assistant coaches on twitter except for one. Kenny follows a lot of them, Duane some, some both Duane and Kenny, Austin has a few. Only Buru isn't followed by any of our coaches, Don't know if it means anything, just pointing it out.
Kenny Johnson follows him on Instagram
KJ, Austin and Ryan Mcclosky
0 x
rhodyram22
ARD

Instagram might just be his preferred way of communicating. I wouldn't read too much into it but it's still good detective work. We'll see what happens!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Come on Buru we really need you !!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyram22 wrote: 1 year ago
Instagram might just be his preferred way of communicating. I wouldn't read too much into it but it's still good detective work. We'll see what happens!
Yeah, I check out twitter more than Instagram, especially since Kenny has been so active there lately. I guess I should check out IG more often.
1 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unless this is a designed delaying of an announcement, every day the dream of getting Buru fades a bit.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Perhaps I chose the wrong Australian band to honor Buru. Let's try this one:

0 x
CamsRams
Tom Garrick

0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Spoke to Buru and he said “Rhode Island was beautiful” idk if he’s interested or anything but at least he enjoyed his visit
8 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Sounds good. Let's crank up another song...

0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

I wonder if he has any other visits lined up?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Crank the Silverchair! Buru singing to us “wait til tomorrow”
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

CamsRams wrote: 1 year ago