3/4 | Davidson | 8:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/4 | Davidson | 8:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Davidson College
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, March 4, 2023
8:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
Davidson Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island Rams head back to Kingston on a high after their first road win in over 400 days. The win also solidified them from not finishing in the basement in the A10 this season. In addition, that win also ended their 7-game losing streak. Currently URI is in 14th place but if they win on Saturday & UMass loses, Rhody will finish in 13th place.

Davidson will be making the trek north to take on the Rams Saturday night to close out the regular season. After 33 years on the Wildcats’ bench, Bob McKillop has retired & they are now led by his son Matt McKillop. Wonder how he got the job? Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. On the court, Davidson is led by Foster Loyer. After three years of ambiguity on Michigan State, he transferred to Davidson & had a breakout season. He was picked on the preseason all-conference first team. He is a work horse averaging 35 minutes per game, but his shooting has fallen a bit compared to last season. His three point shooting dropped from 43.8% to 33.7% while his overall shooting dropped from 45.1% to 37.7%. Along with Loyer, Davidson’s other major offensive threat is forward Sam Mennenga. He is averaging roughly 16 & 7 & went for 23 & 8 in their last game, a home loss to George Washington. Other players to keep an eye on are guards Desmond Watson & Grant Huffman, who are both averaging 9+ points per game. Huffman has struggled from deep this season, shooting it at just 23.3%. I guess you could say that the Wildcats are Waiting for G.Huffman…to start hitting more 3s.

Like they have done just about all season, Rhody showed spurts of being a solid offense team Wednesday night in Chicago. Conversely, they continually show spurts of offense ineptitude, like Loyola going on multiple long runs to evaporate a 17-point second half lead. The Rams did a great job on the boards, especially grabbing 12 offensive rebounds while they shot a strong 45% from the field. In my opinion, Rhody has played pretty well in 5 of their last 7 games. They have a pretty solid chance of winning Saturday night’s game & closing the season with back to back wins.

Rhody has lost 7 out of the last 9 to Davidson with one on those wins inexplicably coming at the Ryan Center last season when Davidson finished 15-3 in the conference. Bittersweet win as that game cost me quite a bit. Ha. In this weekend’s game, I am most concerned about Sam Mennenga. Rhody has struggled with offensive minded big men, i.e., Josh Oduro, Brandon Johns, Daron Holmes, & hell even Hunter Dean. I might as well pencil Mennenga down for 20 & 9 right now. Being at home, I think Rhody will be favored by a point. Don’t forget to get their early to cheer on Malik in his final game at the Ryan Center. Although Senior nights seemed not to have gone well for Rhody in recent years, minus the double OT against Dayton, I think they have a real shot of getting the win. My prediction, Rhody gets the win on a last second tip in by Malik, URI 68 – Davidson 66. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
14-15, 7-10 in the A10
27-7, 15-3 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 157 (242)
RPI: 145 (257)
KenPom: 144 (234)
BPI: 165 (229)
Sagarin: 108 (215)
Barttovik: 132 (224)

Leaders:
Points – Foster Loyer 16.0 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Sam Mennenga 6.7 (Jr., F)
Assists – Foster Loyer 4.5 (Jr., G) (2.8 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 8-10
H: 5-3, A: 2-5, N: 1-2
Most Recent Matchup: 2/12/22 72-65 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 50.4% Chance of URI Winning
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Re: 3/4 | Davidson | 8:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before saturday's game, take a listen to our newest episode as we are joined by Stone Freeman and Bill Koch to recap this year's seasons for both the men's and women's teams.

Listen below:
6 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last night Davidson hosted GW
Davidson was favored by 7.5 but lost by 5

Foster Loyer 6-20 FG and 4-13 3P
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Any players receiving sr night recognition?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Yeah, it would be nice to go into the A!0T with a 2-game winning streak.

I think Davidson is probably better than their record with Loyer and Mennenga as All-A10 caliber players.
They have good depth upfront with Bailey and Skogman and nice pieces with Huffman and Kochera.
Older McKillop would probably have done better with this squad than young McKillop.

GW winning at Davidson last night was not a great surprise to me.

Davidson is certainly beatable for us at home, but the game will probably come down to the wire.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Any players receiving sr night recognition?
What's Next
Rhode Island closes out the regular season at home against Davidson Saturday, March 4. Game time is 8 p.m. on CBSSN. Before the game, Malik Martin and Jalen Carey will be honored as part of Senior Day.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
What's Next
Rhode Island closes out the regular season at home against Davidson Saturday, March 4. Game time is 8 p.m. on CBSSN. Before the game, Malik Martin and Jalen Carey will be honored as part of Senior Day.
Neil will have to add his annual tribute before the game.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I am not expecting it to happen but if it did, it would certainly amuse me - URI beats Davidson/St Bonaventure wins at UMass/URI leap frogs UMass in A-10 seedings despite losing twice to them.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings has 43% to win.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

spookydog, just a mention of what a great job you have done all season with these preview summaries! Also loved the cool reference to the Waiting for Guffman film.

Edited to add comment and correct spelling error!
Last edited by Obadiah 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
10 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago spookydog, just a mention of what a great job you have done all season with these preview summaries!
Yes! Second that. Very professionally done, and informative with some decent commentary along the way. Thanks.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Obadiah wrote: 1 year ago spookydog, just a mention of what a great job you have done all season with these preview summaries!
I second that!

And I really like the Ranking Comparisons. Interesting how close they all tend to become as the season progresses

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 157 (242)
RPI: 145 (257)
KenPom: 144 (234)
BPI: 165 (229)
Sagarin: 108 (215)
Barttovik: 132 (224)
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Yes! Second that. Very professionally done, and informative with some decent commentary along the way. Thanks.
That is something we can all agree on. Well done Spooky.
5 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

As spooky touched on in the preview, Foster Loyer has had kind of a weird year. It seems like he is either red hot or can't hit anything from game to game. Very streaky I guess and not quite as consistent as last season. Let's hope its the bad version that shows up Saturday.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Bill with some quotes from today's media availability. Not that there was much doubt, but comments from Carey sound like a guy who won't be back next year.

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Bill with some quotes from today's media availability. Not that there was much doubt, but comments from Carey sound like a guy who won't be back next year.

Should be no surprise to anyone, all indications since prior to the season was that this was going to be it for him.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Bill with some quotes from today's media availability. Not that there was much doubt, but comments from Carey sound like a guy who won't be back next year.

Should be no surprise to anyone, all indications since prior to the season was that this was going to be it for him.
That’s my sentiment with his comments. But he’s also leaving the door open to keep playing
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Yeah some additional quotes were added after I made my post that make it sound a little more open ended than the first quote did. So we'll see, still not really expecting him back, but Archie sounds like he'd take him back if Jalen decides he wants another year.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really nice comments from Jalen and Malik , I wish them well in the future and pray for a magical run in Brooklyn
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Really nice comments from Jalen and Malik , I wish them well in the future and pray for a magical run in Brooklyn
My same sentiments. :)
0 x
neil
Art Stephenson

Unread post by neil »

We honor two Rams on Saturday. There are some similarities. Jalen came from Syracuse. We thought we stole one from a major program. Malik was Hassan’s brother- enough said. Both of them had inconsistent careers whether turning the ball over or missing shots. Regardless they. Are still students athletes who gave hours of time and effort to the program.
Malik was a true team player, always rooting for his team mates. There was a reason why he was chosen co-Captain. He never complained about being taken out of a game. Never sat at the end of the bench. He exemplified leadership. I found out that his family will be there. The athletic department was not sure if Hassan will be there. If he’s there, make sure Malik gets his ovation. He deserves it. Get up on your feet!
Go Rhody!
10 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

gazakaza wrote: 1 year ago Before saturday's game, take a listen to our newest episode as we are joined by Stone Freeman and Bill Koch to recap this year's seasons for both the men's and women's teams.

Listen below:
Another excellent show. Thanks, Gazakaza!

I liked Bill’s takes on Hutch, on resources, on Tammi and the ladies.

Always great to hear from Stone, too.

Go Rhody!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m glad Malik and JC said they both enjoyed their experience @ Rhody , good for them
1 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

These kids stuck with URI thru thick and thin and deserve our full support no matter what happened on the court. Hope they both have success in whatever they do.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
What's Next
Run it back one more time, Jalen!!!!
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago Really nice comments from Jalen and Malik , I wish them well in the future and pray for a magical run in Brooklyn
...and that Jalen returns next year?

Better chance to play here next year....Jalen or Ant?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Hmm tough question I would guess Jalen but they both may be 90 % not to be here
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

neil wrote: 1 year ago We honor two Rams on Saturday. There are some similarities. Jalen came from Syracuse. We thought we stole one from a major program. Malik was Hassan’s brother- enough said. Both of them had inconsistent careers whether turning the ball over or missing shots. Regardless they. Are still students athletes who gave hours of time and effort to the program.
Malik was a true team player, always rooting for his team mates. There was a reason why he was chosen co-Captain. He never complained about being taken out of a game. Never sat at the end of the bench. He exemplified leadership. I found out that his family will be there. The athletic department was not sure if Hassan will be there. If he’s there, make sure Malik gets his ovation. He deserves it. Get up on your feet!
Go Rhody!
Beautifully said,

Isn't it something that Malik first knew he wanted to play here in November 2014 when we beat Nationally Ranked Nebraska in Overtime? Ryan Center was crazy that game!!
Malik played wherever the coach needed him including playing the opposing team's center if necessary. Never complained, never gave less than 100%. Great example for incoming freshmen and transfers.

DC2DC289-C714-4ECF-842B-A7AE394EFABE.png
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

https://s10091026.t.en25.com/e/es?s=100 ... 76&elqat=1

2 for 1 tix tonight and deal on dawgs! Let’s have a decent turnout for final game.

Go Rhody!
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Has the tailgating started yet?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Can't ya just feel the intensity...the anticipation, the buildup to this game?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago Can't ya just feel the intensity...the anticipation, the buildup to this game?
Nope, my intensity, anticipation, buildup buttons are busted………
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

HUH. ??? Davidson favored by 31/2 or 4. Makes no sense. Should be one.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

This game feels like an exhibition game.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

What's with the 8pm start time?
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Anyone want 4 tickets behind the Davidson bench. Section 104.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago HUH. ??? Davidson favored by 31/2 or 4. Makes no sense. Should be one.
Same here, McRam. More than what I thought it would be, as well.

I actually think this game could go either way. A flip a coin game.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago What's with the 8pm start time?
TV
0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

7:15

Might be 250 in the building…

It’s early.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago HUH. ??? Davidson favored by 31/2 or 4. Makes no sense. Should be one.
Same here, McRam. More than what I thought it would be, as well.

I actually think this game could go either way. A flip a coin game.

Agree👍
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

This Drake game is going to go past 8pm
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Stop fouling jeez
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

The Southern Illinois coach is now on my shit list.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

810 tip off
0 x
GO RAMS
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jesus we missed the first 230
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

9-5 URI

Malik a 3 and a hoop
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

What was the whistle before the timeout?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago What was the whistle before the timeout?
Think a foul on them

Malik 7 of our 9
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Sure would be nice if these goldythroats would tell us what's happening
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

11-9 DU. 1058

Really bad stretch for Bassy miss layup allows a Loyer 3 then a TO !
0 x