3/1 | Loyola Chicago | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

3/1 | Loyola Chicago | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Loyola Chicago University
Joseph J. Gentile Arena, Chicago, IL
Wednesday, March 1, 2023
9:00PM

Media
TV: CBSSN
Online: CBSSN
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
Loyola Chicago Fan Forum

All right ramblers, let’s get ramblin’. The University of Rhode Island Rams head out on the road for one last time this regular season to take on the Atlantic 10’s newest team, the Loyola Chicago Ramblers. Come tipoff of this game it will be 410 days since last the Rams last road win. If they can’t get the win Wednesday night, it will be roughly another 8.5 months until they get their next chance. Please, please, please get the road victory.

My guess is when Loyola got the invitation to join the A10, how this season has progressed for the Ramblers is not how Sister Jean envisioned. Hopefully she stays clear of Gentile Arena because watching this game has the potential to harm the 103-year-old. I know this season has taken some years off of my life & she is quite older than I am. With just two games left in the season, this game is potentially a battle for who finishes in last place in the conference. Rhody comes in with a 4-12 record while Loyola is 3-13. Rhody has now lost 7 in a row while Loyola has lost 5 of 6. That one win during that span is a road win at UMass. See, even they are getting road wins.

Leading the Ramblers is junior forward Philip Alston. The former DII player from California University of Pennsylvania is leading the team in both points (14.6) & rebounds (5.4). The only other double-digit scorer on this team is guard Braden Norris, who is also leading the team in assists (3.9). Norris is their best three-point shooter & has about 30% of the team’s makes from behind the arc. Freshman guard Ben Schwieger is just shy of double-digits with 9.6 points per game. Butler transfer Bryce Golden (former Richmond player Grant Golden’s brother) starts at center, but most of his minutes go to forward Tom Welch.

Will Rhody have enough to pull out their first road win of the season? No better shot than now. They will need another impressive Malik performance like he has been doing over the last couple games. One thing that shouldn’t happen is Bassy taking the most shots. Never a good recipe for a win. Carey struggled to get his shot going as well. Loyola shoots the ball 6.5% better from the field while Rhody shoots it almost 6% from the line. Being at home, Loyola should be favored by a few points since both of these teams are quite comparable. My prediction Loyola 66 – URI 64. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
9-19, 3-13 in the A10
25-8, 13-5 in the MVC (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 270 (254)
RPI: 272 (270)
KenPom: 257 (242)
BPI: 248 (232)
Sagarin: 211 (215)
Barttovik: 232 (228)

Leaders:
Points – Philip Alston 14.6 (Jr., F)
Rebounds – Philip Alston 5.4 (Jr., F)
Assists – Braden Norris 3.9 (Jr., G) (2.4 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 0-0
H: 0-0, A: 0-0, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: N/A
Most Recent Win Streak: N/A
Match-up Predictor: 34.5% Chance of URI Winning
Last edited by spookydog 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 3/1 | Loyola Chicago | 9:00PM (CBSSN)

Unread post by section(105) »

39% to win, from Team Rankings
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Basement Bowl?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

The
Battle
For
The
Bottom

WOO HOO!!!
3 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

The Mega Bowl, as Jackie Moon would call it.
1 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I'm not even going to watch this game. It's an affront to our fans how bad this team is. Never thought it would be this bad. This is just plain horrible. In the worst A10 conference maybe ever, we are in last place. I don't think I can ever remember a URI team being this bad.
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I'm not even going to watch this game. It's an affront to our fans how bad this team is. Never thought it would be this bad. This is just plain horrible. In the worst A10 conference maybe ever, we are in last place. I don't think I can ever remember a URI team being this bad.
The Jerry D years were much much worse than this.
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
theblueram wrote: 1 year ago I'm not even going to watch this game. It's an affront to our fans how bad this team is. Never thought it would be this bad. This is just plain horrible. In the worst A10 conference maybe ever, we are in last place. I don't think I can ever remember a URI team being this bad.
Yes, especially considering the talent on those rosters.
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I’m a sucker for punishment so I’ll be watching and cheering like it affects our bubble chances.

In my blood at this point lol
7 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jerry D was 7-23 his second year. We are 8-20. Not much difference. Not saying Archie can't get it done, but this team feckin stinks. Roster overhaul is needed.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Jerry D was 7-23 his second year. We are 8-20. Not much difference. Not saying Archie can't get it done, but this team feckin stinks. Roster overhaul is needed.
Yeah, maybe we can grab a designated three point bomber off the waiver wire, practice roster player that his not getting his due, and and maybe not being a headcase diva would be nice.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
theblueram
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah, maybe we can grab a designated three point bomber off the waiver wire, practice roster player that his not getting his due, and and maybe not being a headcase diva would be nice.
Or maybe Archie can sign some freshmen like EC, Terrell and Hass?
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

In our dreams……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blueram, I think you will be disapponted then.

I believe only 3 of the top 150 recruits ('23) haven't committed and they aren't on our radar and out of our geographic comfort zone.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

I believe only 3 of the top 150 recruits ('23) haven't committed and they aren't on our radar and out of our geographic comfort zone.
Then I will be for sure disappointed. I did not expect we hire a coach for $2M+ and get mediocre players. Archie was hired last March. He's had a year to recruit for this October signing.
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Agreed, if this is another dud of a recruiting class it’s on Archie and the staff, no more late start BS.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Yes, especially considering the talent on those rosters.
Well...at least we don't have that (talent) to worry about...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Now yer talkin'....
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Then I will be for sure disappointed. I did not expect we hire a coach for $2M+ and get mediocre players. Archie was hired last March. He's had a year to recruit for this October signing.
Where does the season ticket deposit use it or lose 'em period start?
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

If A10 standings overall we’re to stay the same, this game could be pretty meaningful. As the 14 seed URI lines up with Fordham as the Top 4 team in their quarter of the bracket. Easily the weakest team of the top 4.

Whoever is in that group has a good chance of a “surprise” semi finals or finals run
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I know this doesn't belong here...but I'm putting it here, because this thread is sad, but this...is tres funny, enjoy:

3 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago If A10 standings overall we’re to stay the same, this game could be pretty meaningful. As the 14 seed URI lines up with Fordham as the Top 4 team in their quarter of the bracket. Easily the weakest team of the top 4.

Whoever is in that group has a good chance of a “surprise” semi finals or finals run
I like your reach and positive vibes. But, at this point, it's futile. I haven't heard anything on 24 recruits. Nothing. Arch has been here a year already, and who are we signing in October? Are we on any recruit that matters?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago If A10 standings overall we’re to stay the same, this game could be pretty meaningful. As the 14 seed URI lines up with Fordham as the Top 4 team in their quarter of the bracket. Easily the weakest team of the top 4.

I like your reach and positive vibes. But, at this point, it's futile. I haven't heard anything on 24 recruits. Nothing. Arch has been here a year already, and who are we signing in October? Are we on any recruit that matters?
Ish
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Ish
He's been much better than anticipated. But, I think most are probably hoping for him not being the best player on next year's team...and if that isn't realistic, it's depressing.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

True fans stay the course. Reconsider!
1 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

I just want to know if Archie's lack of top 100 recruits this year is based on NIL. Because if it is, I may step away from this game.
1 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Lol what does my post have to do with 2024 recruits? I’m talking about the A10 tourney in 2 weeks.

And I’m by no means calling my shot that we’ll make the finals. But just pointing out being in Fordhams quadrant wouldn’t hurt
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Lol what does my post have to do with 2024 recruits? I’m talking about the A10 tourney in 2 weeks.

And I’m by no means calling my shot that we’ll make the finals. But just pointing out being in Fordhams quadrant wouldn’t hurt
Careful, you don't want them to be caught "looking ahead" and overconfident
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Where do you see Fordham as a seed? Right now Fordham is the 3-seed having defeated St Louis in their only matchup.
St Louis has it tough with remaining 2 games with Dayton and VCU

I'd guess Fordham ends up with the 3-seed, St Louis 4-seed but it's also possible SLU loses both games then it depends on Duquesne, George Mason and George Washington with their remaining 2 games.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Where do you see Fordham as a seed? Right now Fordham is the 3-seed having defeated St Louis in their only matchup.

I'd guess Fordham ends up with the 3-seed, St Louis 4-seed but it's also possible SLU loses both games then it depends on Duquesne, George Mason and George Washington with their remaining 2 games.
Does it really actually matter? This conference is a juan bid conference. Just pathetic. And URI is in the dumpster. Never been more dissapointed.
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Does it really actually matter? This conference is a juan bid conference. Just pathetic. And URI is in the dumpster. Never been more dissapointed.
No I don't think it matters. Thinking ahead to get Fordham in the Quarterfinals means we will have won 2 games prior.
One game at a time.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Very hard to predict, some crucial games down the stretch. But will be interesting. This year more than ever feel like we could have a random champ
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Very hard to predict, some crucial games down the stretch. But will be interesting. This year more than ever feel like we could have a random champ
I agree. Wide open. VCU looks like the favorite but look what happened last year with Richmond.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

At least the A10 was a legit conference when Jerry D was here. We are the worst in the worst A10 in 40 years. That makes this possibility the worst URI team in 40 years
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
At least the A10 was a legit conference when Jerry D was here. We are the worst in the worst A10 in 40 years. That makes this possibility the worst URI team in 40 years
Well...that's something to hang your hat on, right? Hopefully, we laugh about this in a couple years...
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

2011-2012 End of the Baron Era, the worst season I've ever seen with no hope in sight. This season is not that.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2012.html
5 x
GO RAMS
rhodysurf
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodysurf »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Ish
He's been much better than anticipated. But, I think most are probably hoping for him not being the best player on next year's team...and if that isn't realistic, it's depressing.
The fuck is this lol Ish’s advanced stats are right around A10 first team level. He will be the best player on the team next year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

Ish
The fuck is this lol Ish’s advanced stats are right around A10 first team level. He will be the best player on the team next year.
great...
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

rhodysurf wrote: 1 year ago

great...
He would be the best player on most A10 teams
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I agree. Wide open. VCU looks like the favorite but look what happened last year with Richmond.
How can anybody think that URI can win the A-10 tournament?? Uri doesn’t have half the talent that Richmond did. A lot of teams in this mediocre conference could win the tournament, but we aren’t one of them. These games are all meaningless going forward
3 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago 2011-2012 End of the Baron Era, the worst season I've ever seen with no hope in sight. This season is not that.

That team was bad, but it also had 4 wins in a much tougher A10 and in only 16 games. We can still surpass 4 wins but with more league games played and against weaker competition.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

How can anybody think that URI can win the A-10 tournament?? Uri doesn’t have half the talent that Richmond did. A lot of teams in this mediocre conference could win the tournament, but we aren’t one of them. These games are all meaningless going forward
Literally no one is predicting that they can lol. You people are all so defensive
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I wonder how much the increase in season ticket prices will be for next year?

With new transfer rules, being a fan of an A10 basketball team is similar to being a fan of a minor league baseball team.

Over the last 20 years has the URI Athletic program exceeded, met or under-performed reasonable expectations?

Because I dislike PC for all the usual reasons, URI's MBB performance hurts even more.

The A10 is a conference for schools that are satisfied or a stepping stone for ambitious schools. What is URI?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago 2011-2012 End of the Baron Era, the worst season I've ever seen with no hope in sight. This season is not that.

You're right, and I think a lot of people are forgetting how bad some of our teams were. The Jerry D years were worse, a couple of the Baron years were very bad, hell I'd say the last two years under Cox were worse than this. At least I feel like we have the right coach and an administration that gets it. That wasn't the case in some of those years. For that reason alone I'd say this year isn't the worst, record be damned
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

You're right, and I think a lot of people are forgetting how bad some of our teams were. The Jerry D years were worse, a couple of the Baron years were very bad, hell I'd say the last two years under Cox were worse than this. At least I feel like we have the right coach and an administration that gets it. That wasn't the case in some of those years. For that reason alone I'd say this year isn't the worst, record be damned

If we’re talking strictly team on the court though, the last two Cox’s teams would beat this current team.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

If we’re talking strictly team on the court though, the last two Cox’s teams would beat this current team.
I don't feel as disappointed this season as I did in 1999-2000.
We were coming off of "3" straight NCAA appearances including an Elite 8.
We had Clay, Bell, Marbury, and Vinson and only managed 5 wins total (2-14 A10)

With our current staff, at least I feel much more optimistic going forward.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

We were coming off of 2 straight NCAA appearances including an Elite 8.

Slight correction - in 1999-2000, we were actually coming off THREE straight NCAA appearances, FOUR straight postseasons (including 1996 NIT) and FOUR straight 20 win seasons. The program won an A-10 Tournament Championship along with three NCAA games in an Elite-8 run and two NIT games during this period. It was the best four years in URI hoops history.
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
We were coming off of "3" straight NCAA appearances including an Elite 8.

Slight correction - in 1999-2000, we were actually coming off THREE straight NCAA appearances, FOUR straight postseasons (including 1996 NIT) and FOUR straight 20 win seasons. The program won an A-10 Tournament Championship along with three NCAA games in an Elite-8 run and two NIT games during this period. It was the best run in URI hoops history.
You are right (I corrected), our best stretch.
I was just going back to Jerry D as an assistant to Harrick.
Sorry Al.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

You are right, our best stretch.
I was just going back to Jerry D as an assistant to Harrick.
Sorry Al.

There were two constants in all four years of this very successful stretch - ARD and Preston Murphy. No other Rhody players ever experienced as much success as them.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Maybe. They certainly would have the talent to beat this team, but the coaching edge on this team could be decisive in that theoretical matchup
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines