2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Fordham University
Rose Hill Gymnasium, Bronx, NY
Saturday, February 25, 2023
2:30PM

Media
TV: USA
Online: USA
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
Fordham doesn’t have a fan forum. I still find this unbelievable.

After losing all three games on their latest homestand, the University of Rhode Island Rams head to the Bronx to take on the Fordham Rams Saturday afternoon. The Rams of Fordham are inexplicably currently third in the A10 & sport a hefty 22-6 record. Most prognosticators thought Fordham’s 12-1 OOC record was inflated given their strength of schedule. They started out conference play by losing 3 of the first 4 including a loss in Kingston. The experts said see, we were right, Fordham isn’t for real. Well, Fordham has since gone 9-2 over their last 11 games and are just 2 games out of first with three left to play. Since joining the A10 in 1995, this is only the second time they have reached double figures in conference wins. If they win one of their remaining three games, it will be their best season in the A10. Since the 1930’s, this is only Fordham’s 5th season 20 wins. Even Tom Penders in the early 80s didn’t get these Rams to the 20-win threshold. Ergo, Urgo is doing a phenomenal job.

Leading the Rams of Fordham is fifth year senior, Darius Quisenberry. He is averaging 17 per contest & has scored in double figures in every game this season except for the three. Along with being the leading scorer, he has the most three pointers made & is the teams best free throw shooter. The last time these teams played, Quisenberry went 11 for 12 from the line. These Rams are actually a better free throw shooting team than our Rams. Another player to keep an eye on is the Georgia Tech transfer Khalid Moore. This 6’7” forward is Fordham’s only other double-digit scorer who is averaging 15 & 6. They do have some height in the frontcourt as Fordham rotates Rostyslav Novitskyi & Abdou Tsimbila downlow. Tsimblia is about 30th in the country, averaging almost two blocks per game.

Will Rhody have enough to pull out their first road win of the season? Highly unlikely. They are going to need another impressive shooting performance from Malik like he did the last game where he went 5 for 9 from three. His best two games of the season were this one versus Fordham (23 & 6) & the last game against George Washington where her went for 21 (8/13 shooting) & 8. Could that carry over to Saturday's game? The Rams are desperate for some consistency from anyone not named Ish. Carey shows spurts but he turns the ball over too much & is struggling from deep (0 for his last 6 attempts & just 18.6% on the season). Who knows, maybe they will get some scoring downlow? French that!

URI is coming off their best offensive performance of the season since the game at St. Louis. Sure, some of that was due to the fact that they played George Washington, whose defense is less than ideal. Hopefully that game instilled some confidence on the offensive side of things. Can Rhody put together another solid offensive game to stop their six-game losing streak? Not against this Fordham team. Fordham will probably be favored by about 8. My prediction Fordham 70 – URI 63. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
22-6, 10-5 in the A10
16-16, 8-10 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 133 (254)
RPI: 70 (269)
KenPom: 139 (240)
BPI: 138 (234)
Sagarin: 125 (221)
Barttovik: 166 (231)

Leaders:
Points – Darius Quisenberry 17.2 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Khalid Moore 6.6 (Sr., F)
Assists – Antrell Charlton 3.6 (Jr., G) (2.5 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 40-30
H: 20-11, A: 20-18, N: 1-1
Most Recent Matchup: 1/4/22 82-79 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 17.4% Chance of URI Winning
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/25 | Fordham | 2:30PM (USA)

Unread post by section(105) »

25% chance to win, Team Rankings says
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is Fordham's best season since joining the A-10 some 30 years ago. They are at home and lost to URI in Kingston. There is no way they are going to be swept. Rhody typically plays even worse on the road where they are 0-9 for the season to date. I expect Fordham to smoke our Rams.
0 x
FUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by FUfan »

Fordham fan checking in hoping for some revenge after the loss in Kingston early in the A10. Just a heads-up that Fordham does have a fairly active Fan Forum https://fuforum.createaforum.com/index.php

For NY based Rhody fans just a heads-up that no tickets will be available at the door. The game has been sold out for the last 3 weeks as construction has limited capacity to like 1800. This is obviously very different from the days when the place was a ghost town outside of the other teams fans. Our students are lining up hours before the game to get in.

Amazing what a little winning can do.
5 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

FUfan wrote: 1 year ago Fordham fan checking in hoping for some revenge after the loss in Kingston early in the A10. Just a heads-up that Fordham does have a fairly active Fan Forum https://fuforum.createaforum.com/index.php

For NY based Rhody fans just a heads-up that no tickets will be available at the door. The game has been sold out for the last 3 weeks as construction has limited capacity to like 1800. This is obviously very different from the days when the place was a ghost town outside of the other teams fans. Our students are lining up hours before the game to get in.

Hey FUFan, welcome! Why is that one end zone side of bleachers completely blocked off now? I guess that is what you mean by construction?
0 x
FUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by FUfan »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
FUfan wrote: 1 year ago Fordham fan checking in hoping for some revenge after the loss in Kingston early in the A10. Just a heads-up that Fordham does have a fairly active Fan Forum https://fuforum.createaforum.com/index.php

Hey FUFan, welcome! Why is that one end zone side of bleachers completely blocked off now? I guess that is what you mean by construction?
Yeah it is part of a multi-year effort to completely renovate the Student Center which is connected to the Gym. Apparently fire codes dictated that those bleachers be removed. The construction won't actually upgrade anything in the gym but will provide updates to the Weight Training center that Athlete's use. The bleachers will be back next year returning capacity to roughly 3,200. Bad timing on the the project because we would easily be selling out the larger number right now.

Hopefully we can sustain momentum, and keep the crowds coming to convince the powers that be that we need a real renovation to the gym ala Duquesne.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I hope Fordham can sustain long term success. A strong NYC A10 hoops program is huge.

Go Rams
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

tremendous and welcome.

I wish more opposing fanbases checked in here.
1 x
:lol:
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

If I were Fordham, with the season they’re having, I’d be a bittt nervous about this one. We’re down, but obviously still scrappy and can be a tough out.
1 x
GO RAMS
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Hope you opened the purse strings and are paying your coach so he stays. A10 gets poached every year.
0 x
FUfan
Jim Eitner

Unread post by FUfan »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago If I were Fordham, with the season they’re having, I’d be a bittt nervous about this one. We’re down, but obviously still scrappy and can be a tough out.
We are nervous about every game. That is what 25 years of losing will do to you. Nevermind the fact that you already beat us. We got lucky to sneak out of Loyola Chicago on Wednesday with a win so we can lose any game.

Here is what we got going for us:

- This team has been completely locked-in for the past 6 weeks. The Grad students Quiz and Moore know this is their last ride and are playing like their life depends on every game. The rest of the team follows suit and plays ridiculously hard especially on defense. This mentality has led to few let downs. When we lost it wasn't lack of effort.

- We have come a long way since we played in Kingston with a big difference being the emergence of frosh Will RIchardson at PG and another frosh Elijah Gray off the bench. These are Neptune/Urgo recruits and you can see the pedigree.

- The gym the month has been absolutely bonkers. If you haven't seen a recent game at Rose Hill you won't recognize the atmosphere. Place is packed to the gills and Students are nuts. Team feeds off it. Add in the 1971 team being honored/Yelverton retirement and the implications of the Bye and I think we will be ready.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

The Alumni Assoc bus trip to the Bronx was canceled weeks ago, lack of interest. Disappointing, I was looking forward to lunch on Arthur Ave.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago The Alumni Assoc bus trip to the Bronx was canceled weeks ago, lack of interest. Disappointing, I was looking forward to lunch on Arthur Ave.
Love the food on Arthur Ave.
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago If I were Fordham, with the season they’re having, I’d be a bittt nervous about this one. We’re down, but obviously still scrappy and can be a tough out.
We haven't won a road game this season, and even the close ones (where we were up late) we still managed to fuck up. I really doubt the first win is going to be against 22-6 Fordham.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FUfan wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah it is part of a multi-year effort to completely renovate the Student Center which is connected to the Gym. Apparently fire codes dictated that those bleachers be removed. The construction won't actually upgrade anything in the gym but will provide updates to the Weight Training center that Athlete's use. The bleachers will be back next year returning capacity to roughly 3,200. Bad timing on the the project because we would easily be selling out the larger number right now.

Hopefully we can sustain momentum, and keep the crowds coming to convince the powers that be that we need a real renovation to the gym ala Duquesne.
If only you could have scheduled the project another year. If ever you wanted your full capacity!

You have had 6 sellouts and your last 2 games are sellouts for a total of 8

The URI game ticket availability was very limited about 5 weeks ago. Was down to just single seat pickings back then.

What will the new changes get you? And additional seating capacity?
Think you will ever build a new arena?
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Ramster I think FUfan mentioned the renovations are to the adjoining student center so no changes to the arena. It just has removed 1,000+ seats behind the basket near the Fordham bench while they do the work so capacity isn’t only 1,800 this season.

In terms of your 2nd question, Fordham got 2 great stories in todays NY Post about Urgo and the excitement including and did mention a push for an arena. Says that large parking lot on left when you pull into campus is where it would go. It took us getting to an Elite 8 to convince the powers that be. What will it take for Fordham to get that support?
1 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

Do you need an account to see the posts? Cause I can’t see anything besides terms of service.
1 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
Do you need an account to see the posts? Cause I can’t see anything besides terms of service.
I already had a log in from years ago so my log in just popped up and I was able to view posts on site.
You might need to create a login to start or access
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ramster I think FUfan mentioned the renovations are to the adjoining student center so no changes to the arena. It just has removed 1,000+ seats behind the basket near the Fordham bench while they do the work so capacity isn’t only 1,800 this season.

In terms of your 2nd question, Fordham got 2 great stories in todays NY Post about Urgo and the excitement including and did mention a push for an arena. Says that large parking lot on left when you pull into campus is where it would go. It took us getting to an Elite 8 to convince the powers that be. What will it take for Fordham to get that support?
I have been reading the present Fordham forum and its previous incarnation for some 30 years. There has been one member (Rambacker) that has been continuously posting for three decades that he had inside info that a new arena was imminent. It became a running joke on these sites as nothing ever happened despite all the repeated posts that this time it was for real.

Fordham did try to play more home games at NYC area arenas a few years back. The games failed to draw much and they stopped doing so. More recent games at the area's large venues have been in neutral site multi game events.

I have been to Fordham. It is a very nice campus with several gothic stone buildings. Space is such a constraint there that the football playing field next to the Rose Hill Gym actually shares some of the baseball park outfield. From what I understand, much of the little open space there has symbolic meaning which many would oppose building upon. Even if a decent sized arena could be built, there still would not be enough close by parking and more campus visitors would also create egress issues. The area around the campus is very built up with the Italian neighborhood of Arthur Ave, the Botanical Gardens, and Bronx Zoo also being nearby.
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Ramster I think FUfan mentioned the renovations are to the adjoining student center so no changes to the arena. It just has removed 1,000+ seats behind the basket near the Fordham bench while they do the work so capacity isn’t only 1,800 this season.

I have been reading the present Fordham forum and its previous incarnation for some 30 years. There has been one member (Rambacker) that has been continuously posting for three decades that he had inside info that a new arena was imminent. It became a running joke on these sites as nothing ever happened despite all the repeated posts that this time it was for real.

Fordham did try to play more home games at NYC area arenas a few years back. The games failed to draw much and they stopped doing so. More recent games at the area's large venues have been in neutral site multi game events.

I have been to Fordham. It is a very nice campus with several gothic stone buildings. From what I understand, much of the little open space there has symbolic meaning which many would oppose building upon. Even if a decent sized arena could be built, there still would not be enough close by parking and more campus visitors would also create egress issues. The area around the campus is very built up with the Italian neighborhood of Arthur Ave, the Botanical Gardens, and Bronx Zoo also being nearby.
I believe any improvement would have to be within the existing Rose Hill Gym footprint.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago

I have been to Fordham. It is a very nice campus with several gothic stone buildings. From what I understand, much of the little open space there has symbolic meaning which many would oppose building upon. Even if a decent sized arena could be built, there still would not be enough close by parking and more campus visitors would also create egress issues. The area around the campus is very built up with the Italian neighborhood of Arthur Ave, the Botanical Gardens, and Bronx Zoo also being nearby.
I believe any improvement would have to be within the existing Rose Hill Gym footprint.
That makes sense, 57. 👍

Where there’s a will, there’s a way - as the saying goes.

If they don’t have the will, A10 basketball isn’t the best fit, imho.

Sure, they may get fortunate and make a run at the top half or even a run at first place once or twice a decade in the conference (and that will re-excite some as to the potential of what could be if…) like this year but, based on their time in the A10, it has shown to be only a tease.

That said, maybe this time they will begin to commit to Urgo and his staff, start on the track of upgrading their on campus basketball home, and of providing more resources to the program; decide to take the steps necessary that UMass has, we have incrementally and others in the conference have before we did to elevate our programs to strive to compete at a higher, more consistent level for the benefit of each individual program, for the benefit of the A10’s national profile and to obtain multiple NCAAT bids annually and increase revenue to all its members.

It’s time to fish or cut bait. ;)

We will get a glimpse after the season as to whether or not they have the will.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Malik made a step back three holy hell!
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Good defense by Tchikou
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Defense looks good thus far.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ok what?!!! What changed with Malik haha. He’s feeling it again with the 3s.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This color commentator hasn’t taken a breath all game.

Jesus dude give it a break.
3 x
Go Rhody
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Really solid defense.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago This color commentator hasn’t taken a breath all game.

Jesus dude give it a break.
Seriously! Tempted to hit mute here...
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

He just called Martin “Leggett”… idiot
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Good start on both ends.

Go Rhody!

Edit: Game post jinx. I’m a dope. No more posting this half for me.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Missing multiple bunnies my God.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

We’ve gotta be much stronger on these layups. Can’t be missing those.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tchikou gets great position on the smallest guy on the court after a switch and Carey throws up an air ball instead...
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago We’ve gotta be much stronger on these layups. Can’t be missing those.
Alex just dunk it
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago We’ve gotta be much stronger on these layups. Can’t be missing those.
Alex just dunk it
Yeah… idk why he’s not doing that. He has the wingspan AND the height!!
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Look at Alex showin them handles

The dude is exceptionally quick for a 6'11 guy
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Alex just dunk it
If I were Archie, I’d tell that to Alex every time down the floor.
1 x
GO RAMS
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

WHAT A BLOCK!!!
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Nice block by Frenchie.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Gonna repeat myself for the 1000th time...I know it hasn't been pretty this season, but I think if we stick with Tchikou we're going to be very happy with the player he becomes. Keep getting him involved, it's going to come around.
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

WESTON!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE SLAM
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Weston!!!
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

WESTON HAS ARRRIVED!!!!!
0 x
GO RAMS
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Weston, nice slam in transition.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Whoa!!!! Weston!!
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago WESTON!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE SLAM
Best play of the year!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Should be a Top 10 ! Great bounce pass too.
Last edited by RI_Bred 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago WESTON!!!!!!!!!! WITH THE SLAM
Best play of the year!
I’ll admit I jumped out of my seat for that.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Ish is way off tonight
0 x