2/22 | George Washington | 7:00PM (YurVIew/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/22 | George Washington | 7:00PM (YurVIew/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Washington University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Wednesday, February 22, 2023
7:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
George Washington Fan Forum

What happens when an awful offensive team takes on an awful defensive team? Well, we are about to find out when the George Washington Colonials come to the Ryan Center Wednesday night to take on the University of Rhode Island Rams. To give you a sense of how bad Rhody’s offense truly is, here are some numbers. In 2-point FG % they are 348 out of 363; In 3-point FG% they are 345 out of 363; In Effective FG% they are 358 out of 363; In Turnover % they are 322 out of 363. I don’t know much about basketball but that is piss poor. The good news for Rhody is George Washington “defense” is awful. They are so bad, even Mike D’Antoni is disappointed with how GW plays defense. The Colonials give up over 76 points per game, which is 335 out of 363. Teams are shooting over 45% against GW, which is 277 out of 363. With all that said, it will be interesting to see if the bad offense wins out or will it be the bad defense?

The Colonials are led by the two headed monster of James Bishop & Brendan Adams, as they account for over 51% of the team’s offense. Bishop is currently 14th in the country in scoring with over 21 per game and is leading the Colonials in assists at 5 per game. Former URI commit under Hurley who followed him to UConn is second on the team in scoring with 17.6 per contest. He is also the Colonials best three-point shooter with the most makes on the season & is shooting it a tick below 40%. Adams has drastically improved his shooting from last season, increasing his 3-point shooting by over 12% & his overall shooting by almost 10%. The Colonials have two other players in double figures with freshman Maximus Edwards & former Maryland Terrapin Ricky Lindo Jr. Lindo is leading the team in rebounding & blocked shots.

URI is coming off one of the ugliest games in recent memory, and that is saying something given how the last few years have gone. Other than the Ring of Honor ceremony, the only good part about the actual game on Saturday was they hit the race to 10. After being up six points 5 minutes in the game, they were outscored 62 – 32. Yikes.

The Rams coming into this contest losers of five in a row & 8 of 10. URI has also lost 3 in a row to the Colonials (prior to that URI had won 6 of 7). Oh, how the tides have turned. Being at home, URI does have a chance to pull out the victory. If the Rams get to the free throw line, they should be able to keep it close. The good news in this game, the Rams should surpass 55 points for the first time since Bray was dismissed from the team. Rhody will be favored by about 2.5 points since they are home. Unfortunately, I don’t think they get the win. My prediction George Washington 69 – URI 63. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
13-14, 7-7 in the A10
12-18, 8-9 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 221 (241)
RPI: 208 (262)
KenPom: 222 (229)
BPI: 225 (227)
Sagarin: 219 (216)
Barttovik: 206 (224)

Leaders:
Points – James Bishop IV 21.2 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Ricky Lindo Jr 7.4 (Sr., F)
Assists – James Bishop IV 5.0 (Sr., G) (3.1 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 30-34
H: 15-12, A: 12-19, N: 3-3
Most Recent Matchup: 2/19/22 72-61 L at George Washington
Most Recent Win Streak: 3 – George Washington
Match-up Predictor: 64.7% Chance of URI Winning
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: 2/22 | George Washington | 7:00PM (YurVIew/ESPN+)

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

To paraphrase Gorilla Monsoon, when we're on offense it sounds like a resistible force meeting a moveable object
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Unfortunately, I think GW has a little too much firepower for us.
Yeah it is possible for us to come away with a win, but Ish is going to need lots of help.

They have 4 starters averaging double-digits and the other one center Hunter Dean had a double/double against us last season in the RC (15 pts/11 rebs).
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Maximus Edwards is a solid candidate for A10 Rookie of the year
He has already won 4 weekly ROW Awards.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Maximus Edwards is a solid candidate for A10 Rookie of the year
He has already won 4 weekly ROW Awards.
Yes, nice pick-up from KState after redshirting 21-22 with a preseason injury.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

GW is still playing hard winning at SBU in Olean this past weekend. Our Rams were basically no shows at home versus a much depleted UMass. The smart money will all be on the Colonials.

This season cannot end soon enough.
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Nothing like meaningless games at the end of a bad season to get the juices flowing!
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

I want to see Hutchinson, Stewart and Weston play a lot of minutes tomorrow. I don't care about the result, just give the new guys a chance, especially the ones who will probably stay with the team. Martin DOES NOT need to play more than 15 min for these last 4 games. He is a complete liability on offense and won't be here next season.
5 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I agree that now it's about the future...give the young ones time and experience.
2 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Why all the negativity? We are less than 1 month from the best time to be a URI MBB fan.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Why all the negativity? We are less than 1 month from the best time to be a URI MBB fan.
Couldn’t agree more, last years March was the most exciting time in a long time
2 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago Why all the negativity? We are less than 1 month from the best time to be a URI MBB fan.
It is for you now - but when Archie Miller has successful teams capable of making the tournament and making a run, then it won't be fun for you. It's clear you don't want to see URI be successful. I'm not sure why, but that's the sentiment you bring here.
4 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I want to see Hutchinson, Stewart and Weston play a lot of minutes tomorrow. I don't care about the result, just give the new guys a chance, especially the ones who will probably stay with the team. Martin DOES NOT need to play more than 15 min for these last 4 games. He is a complete liability on offense and won't be here next season.
I want to see... decent weather, cheap hot dogs,🍻 and a competitive game and we'll call it good.
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Appreciate your optimism, but, I really don’t think we will be in the final four next month! 8-)
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Wow, spookydog, our offensive stats are truly offensive. Archie has his work cut out for him on the recruiting path.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
It is for you now - but when Archie Miller has successful teams capable of making the tournament and making a run, then it won't be fun for you. It's clear you don't want to see URI be successful. I'm not sure why, but that's the sentiment you bring here.
You are totally wrong. I have confidence that Archie Miller can build a great MBB program at URI and that will make me very happy. His biggest obstacle will be an AD who will not commit to returning surplus MBB revenue back to the program once it becomes a cash cow. This will frustrate Archie and he will leave and be followed by a low-cost replacement.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Do I drive down to the RC, stand out in a long line in the cold to get through security. listen to Dan Yorke for 2 hours in a half empty arena and watch my beloved MBB team battle more talented opponents OR do I stay home and watch my beloved WBB team on ESPN+ play a competitive Fordham team and check on a muted URI MBB game on my iPhone? Do they have to schedule both games at the same time?
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago I want to see Hutchinson, Stewart and Weston play a lot of minutes tomorrow. I don't care about the result, just give the new guys a chance, especially the ones who will probably stay with the team. Martin DOES NOT need to play more than 15 min for these last 4 games. He is a complete liability on offense and won't be here next season.
I want to see... decent weather, cheap hot dogs,🍻 and a competitive game and we'll call it good.
Good news 208 is you get your cheap hot dogs.....bad news is only from 6pm to 6:45pm. Maybe big lines?

Bad news is weather is not looking good.
9386ED9F-7C63-4A9B-8598-8D600D23E114.jpeg
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
You are totally wrong. I have confidence that Archie Miller can build a great MBB program at URI and that will make me very happy. His biggest obstacle will be an AD who will not commit to returning surplus MBB revenue back to the program once it becomes a cash cow. This will frustrate Archie and he will leave and be followed by a low-cost replacement.
Then prove everyone wrong and be happy when they become successful in 2 or 3 years. As for Thorr or any AD, they did step up (albeit too late) to try to keep DH from going to UConn - I believe if there were tangible items in place then that are there now, then it would have been much harder for DH to leave. (Probably only Ace on this board knows for sure, or is one of the posters with the best idea if that is true or not. I think she'd agree it would have been harder as he would have had the resources to build his brand and the Rhody brand further instead of continuing/reinventing an established brand). That said, re-listen to the full Archie Miller hiring press conference, especially Thorr's part about how he went to President Parlange and said, (paraphrasing) "It can't be 'we want to do these things' - they need to be already in process in order to compete and get someone of Miller's caliber. That to me says Thorr gets it and the President does as well. Now, all that isn't going to necessarily keep Miller here in 3 years if he brings us to a Sweet 16, but it will make the place much more attractive to the next coach and bring in a better batch of candidates than we saw after DH left. I remember the list of finalists. Many of us say Cox was the wrong choice. Based on the other options/finalists at the time, Cox in my opinion was the best choice out of the options. None thrilled me, so it made sense to hire the man that was the lead assistant and was there for 4 years. It just simply didn't work out for many reasons. Now with better infrastructure and the willingness to invest in the program, we have a much better chance at keeping someone like DH or Miller (and as shown last season, Tammi Reiss for the women's team).
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

There's only so much an AD can do if they're not getting the required money from boosters
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

You’re a garbage pail pile of human shit. I can only imagine the negative impact you have in other aspects of your life based on what you contribute here. You know so little about the inner workings or URI or this athletic department, yet you continue to post your uniformed, unintelligible drivel based on your smooth brain opinions, and nothing in fact or reality.

Your drivers license should be revoked.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
You’re a garbage pail pile of human shit. I can only imagine the negative impact you have in other aspects of your life based on what you contribute here. You know so little about the inner workings or URI or this athletic department, yet you continue to post your uniformed, unintelligible drivel based on your smooth brain opinions, and nothing in fact or reality.

Your drivers license should be revoked.
His Drivers License should be revoked? Ouch!
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Thankfully just two weeks now left of this disaster of a season. The PIG games start off the A-10 Tournament on Tuesday, March 7th. There is no way this Rhody team wins two games and advances beyond that Wednesday.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Then prove everyone wrong and be happy when they become successful in 2 or 3 years. .... I believe if there were tangible items in place then that are there now, then it would have been much harder for DH to leave. .... (paraphrasing) "It can't be 'we want to do these things' - they need to be already in process in order to compete and get someone of Miller's caliber. T ...I remember the list of finalists. ...Many of us say Cox was the wrong choice. ... Now with better infrastructure and the willingness to invest in the program, we have a much better chance at keeping someone like DH or Miller (and as shown last season, Tammi Reiss for the women's team).
I will be happy when URI MBB is successful in 3 years. The question will be whether we re-invest in the program to make it even better or just repeat the cycle.

Thorr never took the savings from the DC hiring to put the intangibles in place.

But, Thorr went out without things in place and hired Miller. It was one VERY influential and well positioned alum (with help of others) who made the Miller hiring happen.

If you don't find the right person to be the highest paid State employee, you offer more and keep searching.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

I’m not super concerned about long lines tonight…

Hope I’m wrong.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Predicted to start snowing at 6pm, continue for an hour or 2 then rain. Ugly night driving will likely hold attendance down.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Then prove everyone wrong and be happy when they become successful in 2 or 3 years. .... I believe if there were tangible items in place then that are there now, then it would have been much harder for DH to leave. .... (paraphrasing) "It can't be 'we want to do these things' - they need to be already in process in order to compete and get someone of Miller's caliber. T ...I remember the list of finalists. ...Many of us say Cox was the wrong choice. ... Now with better infrastructure and the willingness to invest in the program, we have a much better chance at keeping someone like DH or Miller (and as shown last season, Tammi Reiss for the women's team).
I will be happy when URI MBB is successful in 3 years. The question will be whether we re-invest in the program to make it even better or just repeat the cycle.

Thorr never took the savings from the DC hiring to put the intangibles in place.

But, Thorr went out without things in place and hired Miller. It was one VERY influential and well positioned alum (with help of others) who made the Miller hiring happen.

If you don't find the right person to be the highest paid State employee, you offer more and keep searching.
You literally do not know shit about fuck. Literally not one sentence, even one string of words, in your above post is true. Nor is it even close.

Every post is dumber than the last. Your opinions are invalid. I will continue to post these disclaimers on all of these opinions that you purport as facts.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Predicted to start snowing at 6pm, continue for an hour or 2 then rain. Ugly night driving will likely hold attendance down.
I’m expecting all rain down here. Typical wet walk in from lot.
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

It was apparent early on that this season was about the future and they were going nowhere this year, so what makes these last few games different? All I now see is a team that struggles to score in the mid 50’s since they booted their only preseason all A10 player. Not saying he didn’t deserve it, just stating what is happening. It appears nobody is ready to step up.
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago It was apparent early on that this season was about the future and they were going nowhere this year, so what makes these last few games different. All I now see is a team that struggles to score in the mid 50’s since they booted their only preseason all A10 player. Not saying he didn’t deserve it, just stating what is happening.
The slow steady growth as a team neva really got going. I was expecting that slow steady evidence Archie’s system would take hold. Instead we are watching swirling the drain.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I am hoping for a win tonight. It’s possible if we can score enough off of GW’s sub-par D to score into the 60’s and we can hold them under 65. That is a really big hill to climb for the current roster.

I am expecting a better effort and tighter game win or lose.

Go Rhody!
0 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago Predicted to start snowing at 6pm, continue for an hour or 2 then rain. Ugly night driving will likely hold attendance down.
I came here to say the same thing. I am sure the student attendance will be non-existent.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

This team is pretty much the complete opposite of the last few bad teams we have had. The last few had talent, but the coaching stunk and now we have a good coach with sub par talent. Just wait till put it all together!!!
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

George Washington | February 22nd | 7pm

- Mental Health Awareness Night
- Youth 12 and Under are free - to claim, click here!
- Faculty/Staff Free tickets - Click here!
- High School Night: High School Students get in for free (must register ahead of time) CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago George Washington | February 22nd | 7pm

- High School Night: High School Students get in for free (must register ahead of time) CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
Don't forget the 2 dollar hot dogs!
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago
I came here to say the same thing. I am sure the student attendance will be non-existent.
It absolutely will be non-existent. But not because of weather.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
I don't blame them lmao. Why would they want to see a team that's 8-18?
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

Because it's fun?
Because it's something to do on a cold, rainy night?
Because you only go to undergrad college once?
Because it's your school and you feel an obligation to support your team?
Because there are only 2 home games left and then none til next November?
Because watching Ishmael Leggett is worth the price of admission alone?
Because this team has a new head Coach and mostly all new Assistant Coaches and you want to show them some good URI support?
Because you like watching college basketball?
Because you want to hear the pep band, watch the Ramettes and watch the cheerleaders?
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

My guess is students today don’t think like that. I have no clue what they think.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

ramster wrote: 1 year ago George Washington | February 22nd | 7pm

I have thought about getting my mental health checked multiple times watching this team, so it’s a fitting theme.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago My guess is students today don’t think like that. I have no clue what they think.
When your team sucks, you can just get the high/low lights on your phone. Not worth attending. That's what I think they think.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago My guess is students today don’t think like that. I have no clue what they think.
I think it pretty well explains why there was a good size crowd for the UMASS game on Saturday but the average age was pretty well up there. Students pretty much no-showed.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Because it's fun?
Because this team has a new head Coach and mostly all new Assistant Coaches and you want to show them some good URI support?
Because you want to hear the pep band, watch the Ramettes and watch the cheerleaders?
~ from the eyes of a student ~

1. It’s not fun to watch this team
2. You could literally do anything else
3. Exactly, why would I spend it watching an 8-18 basketball team
4. Obligation? I pay the school $10,000s a year
5. I wish there were 0 games left. We’ll try again in November
6. Touche. But highlights exist for a reason
7. This new head coach of ours hasn’t exactly done anything to win me over
8. There’s 100 other better college basketball games on TV tonight
9. No one, I mean no one, is going to the game to listen to the band
6 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KingstonLane wrote: 1 year ago

Because it's fun?

I went to watch an 0-14 team and never missed a game in 4 years. So did several hundred of my fellow classmates,
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Because it's fun?

I went to watch an 0-14 team and never missed a game in 4 years. So did several hundred of my fellow classmates,
And we had plenty to do. The drinking age was 18, so all of the bars in Narragansett and the on campus pub were all available to us, in addition to parties all over the place.
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Because it's fun?

When?
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Because it's fun?

You pretty much nailed it. I was a student last year and probably missed 5 home games in my entire 4 years at URI. I don’t think I’d waste my time watching this team if I was living on campus right now. They’re terrible. Insufferable to watch. The student section sucks unless it’s packed and everyone is standing. We had a lot of that in 2019/20, then it’s gotten worse every year. COVID didn’t help the attendance, but also the team hasn’t impressed since then….
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Because it's fun?
I get what you’re saying, but you need to understand there are other activities to do besides watching a basketball team blow another 15 pt lead and lose a game. If they were even .500 right now I think we’d see a lot more students showing up, but they’re .307!!!
Last edited by RhodyRams916 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

When?
'74-'78
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
When?
'74-'78
I don’t mean to be rude, but comparing your life/college experience is apples to oranges of a 20 year old in 2023
5 x