URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by Rhody74 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago I think I agree with what Chris DiSano wrote on Friday. Right now our needs with the final two scholarships are a big, and best available.

Keep in mind best available is more then just "best at scoring". There is a lot more to building a basketball team then PPG. There is a saying, the devil you know is better then the devil you don't (I may be messing this up!). The reason I say that is Archie knows Jalen. He knows his work ethic, and his character. He may be a better fit then someone who might produce more but would be a "locker room cancer", possibly ending up in another Brayon situation... Or maybe Jalen has been tough to deal with in which case they want to take their chances with someone/anyone else.
Where is this thing that Chris Disano wrote Friday?
It was a Twitter post.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago
Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago I think I agree with what Chris DiSano wrote on Friday. Right now our needs with the final two scholarships are a big, and best available.

Keep in mind best available is more then just "best at scoring". There is a lot more to building a basketball team then PPG. There is a saying, the devil you know is better then the devil you don't (I may be messing this up!). The reason I say that is Archie knows Jalen. He knows his work ethic, and his character. He may be a better fit then someone who might produce more but would be a "locker room cancer", possibly ending up in another Brayon situation... Or maybe Jalen has been tough to deal with in which case they want to take their chances with someone/anyone else.
It was a Twitter post.
Cool I found it!

We feel good about Buru

We just gotta figure out who the last piece might be.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago

It was a Twitter post.
Cool I found it!

We feel good about Buru

We just gotta figure out who the last piece might be.
PRT, I will hold my excitement until he commits and signs.
Then we can all debate on how we would like the last scholarship to be used.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago
Ramfan22 wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Pride ain't happening. His needs and URI's didn't mesh.
Both definitely parted ways. He was supposed to visit then that just didn’t happen.
I thought we were his final visit?
Correct. Until the next one.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Buru not coming, committed to Oakland? Yes, maybe thru some of the players eyes URI is not that attractive? Rich history, sure. Recent success, not so much. Close to Dancing, not. New practice facility, sure. Maybe our rise out of the bottom A-10 is a steeper climb than I thought.
3 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Buru not coming, committed to Oakland? Yes, maybe thru some of the players eyes URI is not that attractive? Rich history, sure. Recent success, not so much. Close to Dancing, not. New practice facility, sure. Maybe our rise out of the bottom A-10 is a steeper climb than I thought.
I wouldn’t say we have a “rich history.”
0 x
Go Rhody
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Buru not coming, committed to Oakland? Yes, maybe thru some of the players eyes URI is not that attractive? Rich history, sure. Recent success, not so much. Close to Dancing, not. New practice facility, sure. Maybe our rise out of the bottom A-10 is a steeper climb than I thought.
I am shocked that you would disagree with this. Not. :roll:
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

4Diffs wrote: 1 year ago
One Elite 8, two Sweet 16.

10 NCAA appearances.

1 A10 regular season title.

2 A10 tournament championships.

I guess people here have a different definition of “rich history.”

And spare me the 1930s - 1950s conference championships.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

10 NCAA appearances.

You mean kids born in the 2000s aren't coming to URI for the cool stories abt Frank Keaney????
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The rich history is from a fans perspective. I appreciate all of it and enjoy reflecting on it. Who really cares what non-fans think. I sure as hell don’t.

As to potential recruits and what they think of our history, that doesn’t matter to me either as I don’t think it plays into their decisions whether to play at Rhody or not.

I appreciate it if they acknowledge or respect it as they learn of it while at Rhody and as they become immersed in the community just as many of us did when attending.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago

10 NCAA appearances.

You mean kids born in the 2000s aren't coming to URI for the cool stories abt Frank Keaney????
Frank who?
0 x
:lol:
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

10 NCAA appearances.

Just because you weren't born doesn't mean those years didn't happen. What about Joe DiMaggio? Did he happen? Or is he just a name in a Simon & Garfunkel song?
4 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago

10 NCAA appearances.

Just because you weren't born doesn't mean those years didn't happen. What about Joe DiMaggio? Did he happen? Or is he just a name in a Simon & Garfunkel song?
So we're supposed to get great recruits because of our success in the 1930s thru the 1950s?

We have 8 NCAA tourney wins ever.

If you actually think URI has a rich history, just wait until you see what Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Villanova and UConn have accomplished!
3 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

10 NCAA appearances.

So we're supposed to get great recruits because of our success in the 1930s thru the 1950s?

If you actually think URI has a rich history, just wait until you see what Duke, UNC, UCLA, Kansas, Kentucky, Indiana, Villanova and UConn have accomplished!
I didn't say that. Recruits probably don't even know who Tyson Wheeler is. But if you don't think that the Keaney years gives us a rich history, I don't know what does.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

I didn't say that. Recruits probably don't even know who Tyson Wheeler is. But if you don't think that the Keaney years gives us a rich history, I don't know what does.
You must have a very very low standard of rich history then.
0 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

At what point does a part of our history no longer become a part of our history? 25 years ago? 50? 75? I guess being the inventor of what was to become the modern game (and I don't mean 2023 modern) isn't very important to you. And I'm not talking about recruits. I do agree with you about that. They don't care about that.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Other than whether it matters to recruits or not (and I don’t think our history does matter to them), I don’t understand the point of contention, 15. Some of us appreciate our rich history and some don’t.

The operative word above being, our. It is our history, not Duke’s, Kansas’, Kentucky’s or UCLA’s. The richness of our history is personal to us as theirs is to them. There is no need to dismiss or denigrate our history to us that see it as rich other than to simply win a meaningless debate.

You win the objective history debate. Congrats.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
4 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Other than whether it matters to recruits or not (and I don’t think our history does matter to them), I don’t understand the point of contention, 15. Some of us appreciate our rich history and some don’t. Move on.
401-124, 19th highest percentage in NCAA history. That's pretty rich if you ask me. Then again, kids today think history started around 1990.
https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/le ... areer.html
4 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

78, it may not be all bad after all if our players forget…

Those who forget history are destined to repeat it. Maybe by forgetting, the new players will go on a 401 - 124 run of their own for us to enjoy.

0 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Way to stand your ground Billyboy78! IMO URI has done a poor job selling the history of our program.

It seems like it might be a point of emphasis going forward. Of course Harrick losing his mind in the last minute vs. Stanford hurt a bit.

Forum members should know the history of URI hoops.

Sorry, do the homework. It’s pretty cool stuff.
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Way to stand your ground Billyboy78! IMO URI has done a poor job selling the history of our program.

It seems like it might be a point of emphasis going forward. Of course Harrick losing his mind in the last minute vs. Stanford hurt a bit.

When we're discussing the rich history, a poster says I don't want to hear anything about the 30s to the 50s. Really? Those were the Keaney years! Don Kaull used to tell me stories about Keaney. Do people even know that he's in the basketball hall of fame?

https://www.hoophall.com/hall-of-famers/frank-keaney/
3 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Way to stand your ground Billyboy78! IMO URI has done a poor job selling the history of our program.

Lol I know the history of this program.

I just don’t consider it “rich.”

Rich history to me means a perennial tournament team, multiple regular and conference tourney championships, multiple second weekends in NCAAs, Final Fours, national titles.
3 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I don’t get the debate here.

Depending on how low your bar is “rich history” applies to nearly all programs.

How about Penn? Fordham? Holy Cross?

Sure. They have “rich histories” too.

George Mason?

I mean it’s really not that inflammatory to say that we don’t have an objectively “rich” history.

PC had a richer history than we do.

It’s just an odd hill to die on. Yes. We had frank Keaney and Ernie C and a host of historic moments.

But you can’t say “rich history” while poo-pooing a school like Oakland for getting a marginal recruit over us, when at least 100 other schools were poo-pooing us during the Hurley years when we were getting EC or Jared.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I don’t get the debate here.

George Mason?

I mean it’s really not that inflammatory to say that we don’t have an objectively “rich” history.

It’s just an odd hill to die on. Yes. We had frank Keaney and Ernie C and a host of historic moments.

But you can’t say “rich history” while poo-pooing a school like Oakland for getting a marginal recruit over us, when at least 100 other schools were poo-pooing us during the Hurley years when we were getting EC or Jared.
Exactly

What was multiple final four on time national champion Oklahoma State saying when Jared Terrell flipped to Rhode Island?
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I don’t get the debate here.

George Mason?

Exactly

What was multiple final four on time national champion Oklahoma State saying when Jared Terrell flipped to Rhode Island?
Maybe, "what state is Rhode Island in?"
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rich history to me means a perennial tournament team, multiple regular and conference tourney championships, multiple second weekends in NCAAs, Final Fours, national titles.
So, how many schools have a rich history? 5 or 6? BTW, history means 'all time'. For many many years, the NIT was THE tournament, not the NCAAs. But once again, since you don't remember it, it's not a part of 'your history'. But take my word for it, it's a big part of college basketball 'history'.
2 x
DeanDome88
Tom Garrick

Unread post by DeanDome88 »

So, how many schools have a rich history? 5 or 6? BTW, history means 'all time'. For many many years, the NIT was THE tournament, not the NCAAs. But once again, since you don't remember it, it's not a part of 'your history'. But take my word for it, it's a big part of college basketball 'history'.
I would not waste my time explaining it to him. Rhody has a rich basketball history and always will. They developed a style of play that made the game more popular. It does not matter how long ago it was. No matter what happens in the next 40 years only an idiot would try to make the case in 2063 that UCLA does not have a rich college basketball history. They will always have a rich history from the John Wooden years.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI's athletics history is as relevant as URI's robotics history. No one cares that a former URI basketball star played for a record 4 profession teams in the United States in the same year, and did it twice!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Obviously we’re not Kentucky, but yea of course we have a rich history lol, especially relative to our size. Pieces of it are in the freakin NBA hall of fame. Not every school has nba players, hall of fame coaches, NCAA/NIT success, conference titles, epic moments dating back almost a century. It may not play a major role, but recruits absolutely embrace that history. Plenty of media on it too. I wasn’t born until the 90s, but I’ve read about the history and it’s great.

Oakland for example was a D2 team until 97’.
2 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Obviously we’re not Kentucky, but yea of course we have a rich history lol, especially relative to our size. Pieces of it are in the freakin NBA hall of fame. Not every school has nba players, hall of fame coaches, NCAA/NIT success, conference titles, epic moments dating back almost a century. It may not play a major role, but recruits absolutely embrace that history. Plenty of media on it too. I wasn’t born until the 90s, but I’ve read about the history and it’s great.

We have made the NCAA tournament 3 times in the last 24 years. You think this is going to make a difference to a kid that is 17-20 years old? No one cares about the NIT. If you want to make the argument that we have a better campus, facility, surrounding living area and supposedly better congruence that would be an argument. If Oakland had a good team that made noise in the tourney a couple years in a row to a kid they would be more relevant.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Maybe the decisions to commit is as simple as playing time, either promised or felt looking at the team makeup.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Dude I understand how big the NIT used to be. I appreciate the slight digs of my intelligence though.

You ask any national media member to name the schools with a rich history, and I would bet zero of them put URI on it.
2 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Obviously we’re not Kentucky, but yea of course we have a rich history lol, especially relative to our size. Pieces of it are in the freakin NBA hall of fame. Not every school has nba players, hall of fame coaches, NCAA/NIT success, conference titles, epic moments dating back almost a century. It may not play a major role, but recruits absolutely embrace that history. Plenty of media on it too. I wasn’t born until the 90s, but I’ve read about the history and it’s great.

Since the 21st century, Oakland has more NCAA appearances than URI.
1 x
Go Rhody
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Dude I understand how big the NIT used to be. I appreciate the slight digs of my intelligence though.

You ask any national media member to name the schools with a rich history, and I would bet zero of them put URI on it.
Well, that's my question then. How many by your standards? 5 or 6? If that's your answer, then obviously URI isn't in the conversation?
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

we have history, of course.

it's more middle class, (Keaney) blue collar if you will. not lower middle class or upper. just plain ole middle.

definitely not white collar 'rich' though.
1 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Is Lasalle's history considered "rich"????
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Man, this thread really took a detour.
4 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Man, this thread really took a detour.
Killing time, until our next commitment announcing, I guess.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What about Oakland?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

What about Oakland?
Al Davis. Lots of history.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Fred Biletnikoff playing college basketball…

Coach: Fred, shoot the damn ball! You are wide open!

Fred: I can’t coach! The ball is stuck to my frickin’ hand!

1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

What about Oakland?
Al Davis. Lots of history.
true....Blanda...Guy....Gault... Belitnikoff... except for location and sport, excellent point.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

What about Oakland?
Aren’t they moving to Vegas in a couple years?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago
What about Oakland?
Aren’t they moving to Vegas in a couple years?
That will never happen.
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

What about Oakland?
Have a chance to be the worst team in MLB history this year. 👍
1 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

10 NCAA appearances.

A lot of discussion here in this thread and a lot of good points made. Why on a URI fan message board would another URI fan take exception with someone saying we had a rich history? Why is that necessary? Answer is it is not unless you are just trolling. And same thing with the Boston Globe nice PR article. You are the first one to throw cold water on that as well. Why all the negativity man if you are really a Rhody fan about a positive PR article and a positive thought on our history? I know why, and I have stated it several times.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

10 NCAA appearances.

A lot of discussion here in this thread and a lot of good points made. Why on a URI fan message board would another URI fan take exception with someone saying we had a rich history? Why is that necessary? Answer is it is not unless you are just trolling. And same thing with the Boston Globe nice PR article. You are the first one to throw cold water on that as well. Why all the negativity man if you are really a Rhody fan about a positive PR article and a positive thought on our history? I know why, and I have stated it several times.
Bc he literally exists solely to throw cold water on takes. It’s an odd prerogative but would be a field day for a therapist.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

10 NCAA appearances.

Please state it again 4Diffs? For old times sake?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

10 NCAA appearances.

Bc he literally exists solely to throw cold water on takes. It’s an odd prerogative but would be a field day month for a therapist.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

10 NCAA appearances.

Funny, I wasn’t the only one who said we don’t have a rich history, nor was I the only one say the article wasn’t all that interesting.
0 x
Go Rhody