URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

URI 2023 Transfers - Who Will Stay and Who Will Go?

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Maybe we need a new contest, predicting who will stay or who will go?

My thoughts:

STAY
We need to do everything to retain Ish. Whether it is more NIL sponsorships to sweeten the pot, leadership role, etc.
Rory could be a very useful piece if he continues to get stronger and more adept in the paint. He was never a 5, so perhaps Bilau or a new/transfer bigman steps in at 5 and Rory moves to the 4.

GO
Obviously Malik is gone.
Carey...does he transfer for his last year???
Samb is definitely regressing and should not be expecting a lot of time.

??????
Thomas
Weston
Last edited by SGreenwell 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: SG Edit: Slight title thread update, since this is going to be the one we use going forward for URI transfers, seemingly.
0 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

Thomas is going nowhere.
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Maybe we need a new contest, predicting who will stay or who will go?

My thoughts:

STAY
We need to do everything to retain Ish. Whether it is more NIL sponsorships to sweeten the pot, leadership role, etc.
Rory could be a very useful piece if he continues to get stronger and more adept in the paint. He was never a 5, so perhaps Bilau or a new/transfer bigman steps in at 5 and Rory moves to the 4.

GO
Obviously Malik is gone.
Carey...does he transfer for his last year???
Samb is definitely regressing and should not be expecting a lot of time.

??????
Thomas
Weston
Don't forget Foumena.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Hopefully Ish staying.

Staying: Stewart, Foumena, Bilau, probably Tchikou

Can't see Thomas being forced out.

Question marks: Weston, Hutchinson

Dubsky and Estevez and one other guard (veteran?) paired with Ish will form a young back court.

Still looking for true, EC type impact players that can elevate the talent around them. Even one would be nice. Would be huge.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

7D24D038-3AE1-4B13-9D52-FEA19C5637B1.jpeg
So not one of these 7 players we added this year, not one, will be getting 10 minutes per game at the end of this god-awful season?

Actually Rory and Brandon got 10 yesterday…
Didn’t feel like it.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

The seven combined for 37 minutes yesterday, 21 against VCU.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago The seven combined for 37 minutes yesterday, 21 against VCU.
A little misleading since only 3 of the 7 are currently active.
6 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

For me there are so, so many unknowns with players self portal, red shirt rehabs, realistic evaluations by coaching staff etc. Do everything possible to keep Ish(would not be shocked if he leaves). For me everyone else is in the go category. Thomas will probably stay as a few minutes back up PG.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Each of those three needs 15 minutes minimum imo.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

My honest point of view:

Stay:
Ish
Weston (needs to develop more of a handle so he can develop his pull-up game, but he is put in catch and shoot situations which looks like it isn’t his strong suit)
Rory (These past two weeks have shown he can play as a 4 in this league)
Foumena
Bilau
Tchikou (as a backup big who is like a 5 mins player)

?????
Hutchinson (seems happy but who knows)
Thomas ( before bray got kicked off he was as good as gone but with no PG and only a freshman coming, but It’ll probably change with Jaquan Sanders following Woodward, but only way Thomas leaves if Archie gets two guaranteed good guards)
Harris (who Even knows at this point)

Good as gone-
Samb ( man can’t even many a simple 1 foot shot)
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Keep

Ish, Bilau, Tchikou, Rory, Foumena, Weston, Estevez, Dubsky

Thomas I guess stays?

That's nine on scholly.

Then you add two veteran guards

Jaquan Sanders (mentioned above) would maybe rather someone more proven.

Get Ant eligible or add someone else.

A wing player

A big

Then lord willing all are healthy and eligible.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Ish, Bilau, Tchikou, Rory, Foumena, Weston, Estevez, Dubsky

I can't see this getting us to the NCAAT.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Ish, Bilau, Tchikou, Rory, Foumena, Weston, Estevez, Dubsky

Ish
Two impact transfer guards, one wing transfer, big transfer, Bilau, and improved older more experienced Weston, Tchikou, Rory, and Foumena can win us a lot more games.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: Who will Stay and Who will Go?layer

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago Ish, Bilau, Tchikou, Rory, Foumena, Weston, Estevez, Dubsky

That groups ceiling in the league would be what, lower mid pack? But considering where we are that would progress. Sorry, don’t see Weston as anything more than what he has shown, Archie said he would be different player come January, only slightly. Not a needle mover.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

I’d love for ish to stay but can’t think of too many reasons why he would.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago I’d love for ish to stay but can’t think of too many reasons why he would.
I assume that unlike Bray, Ish has a good relationship with Archie. Maybe he likes that Archie and the staff have pushed him and made him a better player. Maybe he likes the school (some players are actually serious students too). Maybe he has a girlfriend here. Maybe he likes the beach. Maybe he likes the restaurants. Lots of maybes, but hopefully enough of them to keep him here. BTW, if he stays 2 more years, he could become the school's all time leading scorer. Yes, it would be 5 years because of the COVID year, but that would be quite an accomplishment. One last maybe....maybe he cares about that. :o ....but I don't know...
4 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Ish
Two impact transfer guards, one wing transfer, big transfer, Bilau, and improved older more experienced Weston, Tchikou, Rory, and Foumena can win us a lot more games.
I wish I was as confident that there are 4 NCAA tourney level impact transfers out there looking to come to URI next year. I think that's going to be much tougher then we'd like to admit.
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It all depends on who Archie can recruit to upgrade the roster. (But, it is good read that Bassy is getting some respect here.) If Archie can't project that a player will at least be a valuable reserve, they should be encouraged to leave. It is better to gamble on the new player when the alternative is a bunch of rocks.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago

Ish
I wish I was as confident that there are 4 NCAA tourney level impact transfers out there looking to come to URI next year. I think that's going to be much tougher then we'd like to admit.
Totally agree, the slow climb up the hill in the standings is going to take a while, yes much harder than some think here to get those high level multiple players here for Dancing.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I know some of us think it’s easier now to get good fast, but the more I think about it I think it may be more difficult for a team at our level. The best transfers…the known commodities for the most part will be looking for NIL money. I am going to go out on a limb thinking more $ than we will be able to offer, so that means we are going to have to continue to go after guys who were rated high, but didn’t pan out for whatever reason and hope a few turn into players. This rebuild may be a whole lot harder than anticipated, which is very discouraging. At least until the whole NIL thing works itself out in a couple seasons.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

+Carey
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

+Carey
Carey isn’t staying, he’s leaving and it’s been reiterated
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

It’s basically our first major rebuild under NIL and transfer potalooza. To me that spells uncharted waters. Therefore, I have little feel for a timetable on a return to the NCAA Tourney.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago It’s basically our first major rebuild under NIL and transfer potalooza. To me that spells uncharted waters. Therefore, I have little feel for a timetable on a return to the NCAA Tourney.
What Jdrums#3 said…
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

What is all this talk about Jaquan Sanders? Did I miss something ?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago What is all this talk about Jaquan Sanders? Did I miss something ?
Players not in the portal shouldn't be mentioned, especially ones still playing for another team.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago What is all this talk about Jaquan Sanders? Did I miss something ?
Somebody mentioned him because Duane recruited him to SH and he didn't play much. I've seen nothing connecting him to URI though.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Players not in the portal shouldn't be mentioned, especially ones still playing for another team.
Unless they might come here....then they should get their own thread. It's not like KB will be disbarred from the agent's union or anything...
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yup
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Unless they might come here....then they should get their own thread. It's not like KB will be disbarred from the agent's union or anything...
I guess we will find out after the season.
0 x
Rhodyram
Art Stephenson

Unread post by Rhodyram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhodyram wrote: 1 year ago I’d love for ish to stay but can’t think of too many reasons why he would.
I assume that unlike Bray, Ish has a good relationship with Archie. Maybe he likes that Archie and the staff have pushed him and made him a better player. Maybe he likes the school (some players are actually serious students too). Maybe he has a girlfriend here. Maybe he likes the beach. Maybe he likes the restaurants. Lots of maybes, but hopefully enough of them to keep him here. BTW, if he stays 2 more years, he could become the school's all time leading scorer. Yes, it would be 5 years because of the COVID year, but that would be quite an accomplishment. One last maybe....maybe he cares about that. :o ....but I don't know...
Maybe he wants to win.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Ish
I didn't say NCAA tournament level.

But enough to give us the ability to win the shitty A-10? Yes.

Exhibit A Duquesne

They were worse than we are last year and they're 18-9 competing for a double bye.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Ish

Exhibit A Duquesne

They were worse than we are last year and they're 18-9 competing for a double bye.
Fair enough. Your response was to a post that said "I can't see this getting us to the NCAAT" so that's why I thought that was what you meant with the reply about transfers. I still think even winning the shitty A10 is a larger climb then any of us might have thought at this point, but I am hoping to be very wrong about that!
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I'm not going to begin to speculate on who will or will not be here next year. Obviously Malik is done as this is his last year. I hope Ish stays as he's our obvious best player. I'm confused on Carey because I thought this was also his last year of eligibility but who knows with the free covid year, etc.

Other than that, I hope all that remain take a huge step forward and the incoming freshmen and anyone else that transfers in is an upgrade on what we have.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Exhibit A Duquesne

Fair enough. Your response was to a post that said "I can't see this getting us to the NCAAT" so that's why I thought that was what you meant with the reply about transfers. I still think even winning the shitty A10 is a larger climb then any of us might have thought at this point, but I am hoping to be very wrong about that!
Yeah regular season is tough, but a top four finish and three wins in Brooklyn next season isn't impossible. With the right transfers.

I mean Bray, Ish and Carey single handedly beat Dayton pretty much.

The talent gap just isn't very wide.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Exhibit A Duquesne

Yeah regular season is tough, but a top four finish and three wins in Brooklyn next season isn't impossible. With the right transfers.

Perhaps this is the wrong thread for this, but PRT's comment hear sort of angers me. Bray played so well and was so engaged in the Dayton game that I thought he had turned a corner and put the past behind him. Everyone was so happy for him. Too bad it turned out to be a one off or an exception. It's just too bad. I do hope he does find his way in the future, but for here, it will be "what could have been."
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Exhibit A Duquesne

PRT, the talent gap is actually pretty big.
We only will have 1 proven impact player returning, hopefully.
Look at UMass also close to the bottom and compare the impact of their freshmen to ours.
We aren't the only program out there looking to upgrade their roster.
Somehow, I don't think we are going to get the creme of the crop.
I still have faith in this staff, but it is going to take more time than next season.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Look at UMass also close to the bottom and compare the impact of their freshmen to ours.
I still have faith in this staff, but it is going to take more time than next season.
Yes, the thing about this for me can be Duquesne as exhibit A, but I go back looking to the current A-10 standings and see how many teams we have to leap over. Those teams with stable coaches are gonna their share of good players that we will be competitive with for talent. Those teams are not gonna stand by without their own improvements plans(s). Sometimes here, I think sight of that is lost or discounted. No?
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

Yes, the thing about this for me can be Duquesne as exhibit A, but I go back looking to the current A-10 standings and see how many teams we have to leap over. Those teams with stable coaches are gonna their share of good players that we will be competitive with for talent. Those teams are not gonna stand by without their own improvements plans(s). Sometimes here, I think sight of that is lost or discounted. No?
Duquesne has a coach Keith Dambrot whose seat was probably very hot; with this season most likely make or break for him.
They needed several quick fixes in the portal and brought in mostly upperclassman, something Archie said he wasn't looking for.
Maybe Archie changes his strategy, not sure which players at this point will move on.
All I know is we have a long way to go based on what I see.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
1 x
:lol:
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
So, I guess you are giving Archie an F or unsatisfactory grade in building this year's roster.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago our whole roster can enter the portal for all I care.
So, I guess you are giving Archie an F or unsatisfactory grade in building this year's roster.
Well, OK. Interesting concept to do an end of season report grade on players and coaches. To early for it now, I think. Let the toxic dust settle so that the overall season, injuries, red shirts etc can be taken into consideration. Not exactly a deans list thing going on here.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Well, OK. Interesting concept to do an end of season report grade on players and coaches. To early for it now, I think. Let the toxic dust settle so that the overall season, injuries, red shirts etc can be taken into consideration. Not exactly a deans list thing going on here.
This wasn't my opinion, just responding to KBB's post.
Since he feels that our entire roster can enter the portal for all he cares, so I guess he is fed up with the players that Archie assembled.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

It's really not that big

If the gap was big then how the hell did we beat Dayton and almost beat VCU shooting 37%?

Solid transfers coupled with player development and Archie's coaching will equal big time improvement.

Just depends on who we get, but improvement happens fast all the time now. Especially when you have a proven coach.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

It's really not that big

If the gap was big then how the hell did we beat Dayton and almost beat VCU shooting 37%?

Solid transfers coupled with player development and Archie's coaching will equal big time improvement.

Just depends on who we get, but improvement happens fast all the time now. Especially when you have a proven coach.
Yeah we put together a few good games here and there, but the consistency isn't close to being there.
Just looking at our entire body of work.

I am a huge Archie fan, but looking where we currently are it is very difficult for me to see us with a top 4 finish next season.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Rams played 14 games this season with the end result being by 5 or less points. They lost 9 of those. ~Chris DiSano. Meaning, they were in it for most of this season. Trouble was closing games out.
2 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

It's really not that big

Yeah we put together a few good games here and there, but the consistency isn't close to being there.

Look I am a huge Archie fan, but looking where we currently are it is very difficult for me to see us finishing in the top tier next season.
On a positive note, when talking to potential transfers, one thing Archie can sell is starter minutes for a PG. I'm sure there will be plenty available. We just have to get the right one. Pretty much the same, although maybe to a lesser extent, for a big.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Rams played 14 games this season with the end result being by 5 or less points. They lost 9 of those. ~Chris DiSano. Meaning, they were in it for most of this season. Trouble was closing games out.
Need that alpha go to guy in close games. Someone who wants the ball in big situations and produces. Freeman wanted to be that guy but failed. Who will it be. Doesn't appear to be on the roster presently. Archie and staff need to find that player.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
It's really not that big

Look I am a huge Archie fan, but looking where we currently are it is very difficult for me to see us with a top 4 finish next season.
On a positive note, when talking to potential transfers, one thing Archie can sell is starter minutes for a PG. I'm sure there will be plenty available. We just have to get the right one. Pretty much the same, although maybe to a lesser extent, for a big.
Like we all said, this off-season will be huge for Archie and this program.
Not only bringing in the right pieces but also player development.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

OK, Player development. Rory develops a much quicker trigger on shot, gets some game beyond catch and slowly shoot,
foot speed increases, Alex learns hand
eye skills to catch the ball, among other low post footwork, rebounding techniques, free throws %, Weston gets so major kiddy upon his step and lift in shooting. Develop some triple threat techniques of get ball; shoot and open shot, drive to hoop, pass to assist teammates.
The other “keepers” show up next season as new and improved from what we have already seen.
Glass 1/2 empty here? Yes, as I have stated the huge improvement necessary from the current player development train is not something I see as enough. Have at it.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938