Tommy Garrick on the next Podcast

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Tommy Garrick on the next Podcast

Unread post by sbrand »

Hey guys,

I have Tommy Garrick on the next podcast.

I am sure you have some questions.

Also does anyone know where I can find video of the 1988 Duke URI game in the Sweet 16. I am trying to find footage of Tommy’s first three phantom fouls.

Looking forward to your feedback.

Cheers,

Scott Brand
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: Tommy Garrick on the next Podcast

Unread post by reef »

I think someone posted the Duke game from 88 on here I remember watching that a couple years ago
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

1. What is your greatest memory about playing at URI?
2. How good was Kenny Green? Compare him to players you think he was at the same skill level of - college or pro.
3. How good was your All State Basketball team? Kevin Kolek's son is Tyler Kolek who plays for Marquette. How good was Kevin. Steve Williams was a great football player too. Played in the Miracle in Miami game with Doug Flutie's Hail Mary.
4. Greatest memories from playing for the West Warwick Wizards
5. Describe scoring URI record tying 50 points vs Rutgers March 7, 1988
6. How do you like Tennessee? Think you will ever move back to New England?
7. Thank you for the memories!!!

Scott,
I included this article about Flutie's pass because it talks about Steve Williams almost missing the bus in Boston because he took some teammates home to Providence to eat. Just an interesting read. Williams played at Hendricken and might be Rhode Island's greatest HS athlete ever.

https://bceagles.com/news/2004/11/23/Tw ... e_Lives_On

9A5789D6-8006-417B-B95D-407ADB4606FF.png
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

What does being inducted into the ring of honor and being one of the first people inducted mean to you?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

You played for the Clippers from 1988 to 1991, debuting the same year as Danny Manning and Charles Smith, and with some well-known players like Norm Nixon, Ron Harper and Bo Kimble. What memories stick out from that time frame? Do you stay in touch with anyone from your professional career?

In your pro career, you had 60 three point attempts across 251 games. Obviously, that's a stark contrast from what a 2 or 3 would shoot in today's game. You're a coach now, so, how have you handled this shift in how basketball is played?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

What was it like playing in the same backcourt with Silk?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

What were the memories like with the deep tournament run beating Mizzou and Cuse then losing by 1 point @ Duke ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

A lot of real good questions so far.

Top five non-game related memories at Rhody or top 2 non-game related stories at Rhody ?
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Here it is
1 x
RhodyRam86
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRam86 »

This was a great interview. Tommy is a class act, eloquent and humble. He is a great representative of URI basketball history.

Only thing, did I miss it or did they skip over the Syracuse game? There was a discussion about both Missouri and Duke games.
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Actually this was my interview that I conducted a few days ago.

Here are some of the excerpts:

Tells me how he got the nickname chief

Tommy said he is proud he is only one of 5000 players to make it in the NBA

Garrick said he appreciated Thorr playing the protagonist in having his jersey hanging from the rafters and number retired

Acknowledges that Brendan Malone played a major part why the team reached the Sweet 16

Talks about why he was about to quit playing basketball for URI after his sophomore season

Bonus video on Silk talking about Tommy.

Tommy remembers the time early on when Coach Penders said he will make him a pro.

Reveals his favorite NBA player.

Remembers how well he played at the NBA Portsmith invitational summer camp.

Bonus video and audio on Kenny Green remembering Tommy.

Tommy’s dad said he did not have to be the fastest but just faster than who you are running against.

Tommy revealed that he worked so hard his first two years at Rhody for fear that he was not good enough to play on the team.

Bonus video of Tommy’s Rhody’s highlights.

Tommy thought he was the best player in RI high school.

His favorite sport was football and not basketball.

Tommy talks about the Duke game in the round of 16.

Scott Brand asked Tommy why he missed his draft party.

Tommy reminisces about his dad’s greatness despite the fact that he was visually impaired and how he met his wife after he was blinded in WW2 but never saw her.

Tommy informed Scott that his four-year-old daughter was in school a mile away from the Nashville shooting.

Tommy lived in a house with 8 women and one bathroom.

Scott Brand shares a spreadsheet showing Tommy’s transformation from 6 ppg his junior year to 17 his senior year.

Tommy goes through his progression as a college basketball coach.

Tommy gives his best impression of Jim Harrick.

Tommy said that in 7th grade he practiced signing his name in hope that he would some day be a professional athlete. He called it irrational confidence.

At the end of the interview Scott asked him who had the ugliest shot on the team and what celebrity Tom Penders looked like.
1 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Here it is
Awesome!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Stevie. What I like best about Tommy is his stories and humility. Very surprised to hear that he was about to quit hoops after his sophomore year. I thought it was about the coach but it was more about his disappointment in his game.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I watched it last night and thought it was excellent, great interview Scott
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Thanks Reef. He did say he was the best player in Rhode Island his senior year of high school over Stevie Williams.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Thanks Stevie. What I like best about Tommy is his stories and humility. Very surprised to hear that he was about to quit hoops after his sophomore year. I thought it was about the coach but it was more about his disappointment in his game.
Also Scott, Tommy said the URI Football Team was very good at the time and that he had always had a love for Football. So he headed down to talk to Brendon Malone to tell him he was going to quit the basketball team and as he was walking in guys on the team asked Tommy if he had heard the big news, that Brendan Malone had just resigned and was taking a job with the NY Knicks.
That might be what kept Tommy from quitting plus the introduction of Tom Penders as the next Head Coach.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Thanks Reef. He did say he was the best player in Rhode Island his senior year of high school over Stevie Williams.
Kolek was on that all state list too
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

Yes Reef. I was a student and Tom Earnhardt was an amazing quarterback. Doug Flutie was playing for BC. Tyler’s dad is still one of his best friends.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

sbrand wrote: 1 year ago Yes Reef. I was a student and Tom Earnhardt was an amazing quarterback. Doug Flutie was playing for BC. Tyler’s dad is still one of his best friends.
I forget did you interview Cuttino too for a pod ??
0 x
sbrand
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by sbrand »

I am going to ask Tyson to get me the podcast interview. Cuttino has 11k followers and can be elusive.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah he would be a great get
0 x