Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Re: Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago This team could have used an Xavier Munford. I know the line is that Archie wanted to bring in young guys to build for the future. The problem with that is if the guys you get in March and onward are good enough. Even with the benefit of the new transfer rules, I am not sure how successful they were in doing that. X took a lot of pressure off his teammates, conducted himself like a pro, and in no way interfered with the development of other guys.

Archie is a very good coach, but he has not historically been a “rebuilder.” That works a different set of coaching muscles. Rhody fans were feeling pretty good about poaching an all-freshmen player from a conference foe, but I am not sure it could have turned out worse. In this rebuilding stuff, the last thing you want is a distraction, and both of the higher regarded transfers were just that. It doesn’t mean anything predictive, Archie is going to be really good at URI, but this season kind of feels like a false start so far.

Ugh, that’s what many of us are concerned with…this season was a false start and we have another disappointing season next year. Then we are looking at year 4, but maybe even year 5 before we are where we want to be. That would suck.

A lost decade. How come when we have a bad hire following success we lose the next decade?
Do you really think it would take Archie up to FIVE YEARS to get where we want to be? Have you seen how bad the A-10 is? Did you see when we already beat the most talented team in the A-10? And most importantly the transfer portal exists. Things happen overnight now.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

TruePoint wrote: 1 year ago
Section104 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Do you blame him? We are quite frankly one of the worst teams in America. The following four teams should be getting more attention than us.

PC mens
Rhody women
Bryant men
Brown men
Bryant isnt much better. 7-5 in America East with their roster is underwhelming. Lost to Brown by 12 and UMass Lowell by 19 with a 2-3 players that would be starters on our team.

Put focus on PC and URI women right now. No one else matters.
None of this shit should matter (other than URI women) to an account that is literally called “Rhody Vault”. If you’re going to brand yourself that way, your content should be 99.97% Rhody content. If he wants to just cover basketball in Rhode Island, it can’t be that hard to come up with branding that makes sense for that. I can’t imagine a Notre Dame fan account or blog or whatever called “Irish Eyes” just pivoting to covering Purdue or Ball State because Notre Dame is having a down year. Incredibly bizarre thing to do.
And imagine if Irish eyes also created a vault of old Notre Dame basketball games and interviews with former Notre Dame basketball players and coaches.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

Bryant isnt much better. 7-5 in America East with their roster is underwhelming. Lost to Brown by 12 and UMass Lowell by 19 with a 2-3 players that would be starters on our team.

None of this shit should matter (other than URI women) to an account that is literally called “Rhody Vault”. If you’re going to brand yourself that way, your content should be 99.97% Rhody content. If he wants to just cover basketball in Rhode Island, it can’t be that hard to come up with branding that makes sense for that. I can’t imagine a Notre Dame fan account or blog or whatever called “Irish Eyes” just pivoting to covering Purdue or Ball State because Notre Dame is having a down year. Incredibly bizarre thing to do.
And imagine if Irish eyes also created a vault of old Notre Dame basketball games and interviews with former Notre Dame basketball players and coaches.
Forget even Notre Dame imagine an account called Friar Vault started pumping out Rhody content...their fanbase would go bananas.
4 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

ace wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago This team could have used an Xavier Munford. I know the line is that Archie wanted to bring in young guys to build for the future. The problem with that is if the guys you get in March and onward are good enough. Even with the benefit of the new transfer rules, I am not sure how successful they were in doing that. X took a lot of pressure off his teammates, conducted himself like a pro, and in no way interfered with the development of other guys.

Archie is a very good coach, but he has not historically been a “rebuilder.” That works a different set of coaching muscles. Rhody fans were feeling pretty good about poaching an all-freshmen player from a conference foe, but I am not sure it could have turned out worse. In this rebuilding stuff, the last thing you want is a distraction, and both of the higher regarded transfers were just that. It doesn’t mean anything predictive, Archie is going to be really good at URI, but this season kind of feels like a false start so far.

Ugh, that’s what many of us are concerned with…this season was a false start and we have another disappointing season next year. Then we are looking at year 4, but maybe even year 5 before we are where we want to be. That would suck.

A lost decade. How come when we have a bad hire following success we lose the next decade?
I don’t think it’s all that bad. Archie desperately needs to win at URI, so Rhody fans have that going for them. It’s definitely going a bit different than how I thought the early going would go, but I don’t think the eventual outcome is changed.
If you take a big picture view of what Archie was trying to do this year - it was to identify a few pieces he can build around that have years left in the program. To do that you have to bring double or triple what you want and let it sort out because not everyone will work. I really thought Bray could have been one based on talent but he does not fit the style at all and clearly was not committed to building the program. In contrast, Ish is 100% an Archie style guard, you could just see him on one of those Dayton teams back in the day. If we keep Ish, Weston and Alex we have 3 players to build around for a few years. Going into year 2 that is better to me than having Munford returning with little else. Plus with the transfer portal it will be easier to get some players in to surround them.
2 x
Bos8
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Bos8 »

While I agree with your premise... Do we know that a Munford was available? For the record this is a certified NBA player who was willing to come here to be a part of a rebuild. While we certainly would have benefitted from the addition of a Munford, so would about 350 other D1 programs. And for every Munford there would be a Jerrelle Reischell and Biggie Minnis and Alwayne Bigby. At the end of the day, Archie still wants to win. And if an NBA caliber talent wanted to come to URI (with multiple years of eligibility) he would take him. Especially if, as you pointed out, he conducted himself and represents the University the way Xavier did.
2 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

People on the this board. Please let it be known I really am my own person. I am not masquerading as someone else. Yes I proudly am a graduate of URI. And absolutely love watching their games as well as gaining insight. If the people on this board did not care for my post then I’m sorry. Would a Bot say that ? Anyway. I am hoping we all can be friends and get along. Sincerely.
3 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago

While I agree with your premise... Do we know that a Munford was available? For the record this is a certified NBA player who was willing to come here to be a part of a rebuild. While we certainly would have benefitted from the addition of a Munford, so would about 350 other D1 programs. And for every Munford there would be a Jerrelle Reischell and Biggie Minnis and Alwayne Bigby. At the end of the day, Archie still wants to win. And if an NBA caliber talent wanted to come to URI (with multiple years of eligibility) he would take him. Especially if, as you pointed out, he conducted himself and represents the University the way Xavier did.
I guess we’ll never know, but it’s why I don’t buy the line that Archie didn’t want a guy like that because he only wanted three+ year players. I think it’s more likely that he did, and it didn’t work out. X came to URI because of his relationship with the coach. That’s what staffs do. This coaching shit is hard, no matter how easy it seems on-line! Bigby came at the last minute because they needed someone with a pulse. For all their limitations as players, Reischel and Biggie were stable enough on the court and graduated from URI. You could do worse than that, especially for the URI basketball program of 2012. Archie needs a resurgence like another former great A10 coach who has found his way again. Shaka at Marquette seems like as perfect a match as Archie at URI.
Last edited by ace 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago Can not say in this day and age I am disappointed. But I immediately have two thoughts. First is focusing solely on Brayan’s future. Suffice to say he is a troubled kid. Talented but troubled. In my humble opinion I believe he deserves better. I believe he got a raw deal. Which goes to my second point the coach Archie Miller. Being extremely smart about the past. Archie coached at Indiana and Dayton. Indiana may have been a bad fit for him. But Dayton was a perfect example of what Archie is all about. While at Dayton Archie ran that program with strong leadership and conviction. Dayton is a small Catholic school that loves its basketball. And they love the money drawn from college basketball. And Archie was the king of that empire. A coaches job is to take talent and make it work. Shape it. Mold it. No one says it’s easy. But giving up on the kid you brought in from GW. That you will have for two more years. And you throw him off the team ? Granted we don’t know the background story. But for goodness sake we are talking about a 19 year old kid. Maybe Thorr needs to be rethinking his Archie hire ?
:lol:

C'mon man
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Do you blame him? We are quite frankly one of the worst teams in America. The following four teams should be getting more attention than us.

PC mens
Rhody women
Bryant men
Brown men

I abso-frickin-lutely agree with this. 👍
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

PC mens
Rhody women
Bryant men
Brown men

I find it quite cringe that he covers PC on an account called "RhodyVault"... "Rhody" is for URI, not Bryant, not PC, not Brown.
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

BruceW wrote: 1 year ago Can not say in this day and age I am disappointed. But I immediately have two thoughts. First is focusing solely on Brayan’s future. Suffice to say he is a troubled kid. Talented but troubled. In my humble opinion I believe he deserves better. I believe he got a raw deal. Which goes to my second point the coach Archie Miller. Being extremely smart about the past. Archie coached at Indiana and Dayton. Indiana may have been a bad fit for him. But Dayton was a perfect example of what Archie is all about. While at Dayton Archie ran that program with strong leadership and conviction. Dayton is a small Catholic school that loves its basketball. And they love the money drawn from college basketball. And Archie was the king of that empire. A coaches job is to take talent and make it work. Shape it. Mold it. No one says it’s easy. But giving up on the kid you brought in from GW. That you will have for two more years. And you throw him off the team ? Granted we don’t know the background story. But for goodness sake we are talking about a 19 year old kid. Maybe Thorr needs to be rethinking his Archie hire ?
You seriously think Archie kicked him off the team because he wasn't willing to put in the work to make it work? That's ridiculous to even question the Archie hire right now. I've gone to every home game and a couple away games. Brayon was getting a significant amount of coaching from the side, I'd say more than others on the team. Whatever happened at the GM game was obviously the last straw.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Do you really think it would take Archie up to FIVE YEARS to get where we want to be? Have you seen how bad the A-10 is? Did you see when we already beat the most talented team in the A-10? And most importantly the transfer portal exists. Things happen overnight now.
Agree , definitely not going to take 5 years , I am almost certain we will be top 4 league by year 3 then stay there most years going forward like Dayton VCU and STL
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I say 4-5 years.
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Since most were projecting year 4, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we may now be looking at a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Unless some of the current players make HUGE leaps next year and Archie brings in 1-2 immediate impact players we are looking at another long season next year. I personally think even 4 years is unacceptable, but that is the prevailing expectation.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I say 4-5 years.
Nope!

Gonna be sooner than that!
1 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

What is going to happen? An NCAA appearance? That is what we are talking about, correct? So next year or the year after we will be an NCAA team?
Last edited by RIFan 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Since most were projecting year 4, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we may now be looking at a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Unless some of the current players make HUGE leaps next year and Archie brings in 1-2 immediate impact players we are looking at another long season next year. I personally think even 4 years is unacceptable, but that is the prevailing expectation.
Silly I tell you!

The A-10 is a dumpster fire

As bad as we are right now we are not that far from the top of the league. We literally beat the best team in the league.

Everyone we bring back will be better. We will add an impact big and a guard or two and at least compete for the double bye next year.
2 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

I love your optimism
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I say 4-5 years.
Nope!

Gonna be sooner than that!
I hope I’m wrong.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago Since most were projecting year 4, I don’t think it’s a stretch to say we may now be looking at a 4 to 5 year rebuild. Unless some of the current players make HUGE leaps next year and Archie brings in 1-2 immediate impact players we are looking at another long season next year. I personally think even 4 years is unacceptable, but that is the prevailing expectation.
I think being close to .500 overall and in league play next year is a realistic goal. I have more faith in Miller's ability to recruit given a full year in the job, vs. a compressed off-season, whether that's with HS players or transfers. The annoying thing is that unless Leggett decides to stay here for a fifth year, he'll graduate after 2023-24, and I don't think any other player on our current roster has All-A10 potential. So, I can see something like close to .500 next year, then another year close to .500 or slightly better, as we replace Leggett's production. Then, NCAAs in year four. I would love to be proven wrong, and have Dubsky, Estevez and Players To Be Named Later be incredible from year one.
5 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RIFan wrote: 1 year ago I love your optimism
It's just easier to rebuild these days. Current state of college sports with the transfer portal + superior coaching = quick rebuild.

If Archie decides to not hit the portal hard then it will just take longer.
0 x
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

First time poster: I agree I can see Cam and Connor helping us turn around next year. Young guys with new energy, trying to prove themselves, who can shoot and don’t seem bigger than the team. It’ll be interesting to see if they can salvage anything in these last couple of games and then regardless build up that confidence in the offseason. A cohesive team is a strong team, and we’ll never truly know how the guys feel now that bray is out. Anybody’s whose managed people before knows how infectious energy is. I think Ish can step into a leadership role now and support the others up.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Can't say I saw this coming.

2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Can't say I saw this coming.

I thought he was struggling to get in the building. But now o see him. Weird.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Bray at the game sitting w Ruckus and cheering for the team
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Nice gesture by the young man. Well done.
4 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Bray at the game sitting w Ruckus and cheering for the team
Nothing like the WiFi at the Ryan to post something after it was already reported. Just call me Lois Lane
5 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Wow !! Such a Bray thing to do !!
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Big time props to him for coming.

Stood the whole first half, clapped and cheered. Did look a little down, not surprising though. Obviously still wants to be playing.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Wow !! Such a Bray thing to do !!
What does this even mean?

He could've skipped town the second he got kicked off.

Attended the game and cheered for his former teammates.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Nice gesture by the young man. Well done.
Maybe....but seemed more weird than nice gesture. Like, now the "team" is important, when it seems pretty clear that it wasn't before...
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Maybe....but seemed more weird than nice gesture. Like, now the "team" is important, when it seems pretty clear that it wasn't before...
Agree. The phrase "too soon" seems to apply here. Odd.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Agree. The phrase "too soon" seems to apply here. Odd.
I'm kinda thinking...unless you plan on giving it another try here next year...why?
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I decided to go back and read the Freeman recruiting thread this morning. We had such high hopes. :lol:
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Not 100% comparable, but this situation is similar to the movie Coach Carter. Coach Carter being Archie (hard nose yet effective coaching style), and Brayon being Timo Cruz, who was kicked off the team for disciplinary reasons but was very talented. If you know the movie, it makes sense.
0 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago I decided to go back and read the Freeman recruiting thread this morning. We had such high hopes. :lol:
I was going to, but then I decided I'd rather head over to the dentist, so they could peel back my gum, prep for crown lengthening and suture it back up instead.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

If anything I feel bad for the kid the more we get into this.

Supposedly this is his dad. This is part of a long string of tweets he was going back and forth with a Rhody fan (and mainly with himself). Tough look and really unfair to Bray if this is the case. Imagine being a contributing factor negatively affecting your son's college and career aspirations and not "giving a fuck" while brazenly bragging about it.

Bray being at the game seems like he misses it, and maybe this will be a type of embarrassing, hard lesson for him to learn.

Now, with all of that - Bray's dad saying that no one else joined in doesn't line up with what several eye witnesses on here said, and based on what all of us have seen ourselves with Bray's attitude, body language, and reactions - I'm going to call a bit of BS on Bray's dad here.

Just unfair to the kid when the guy you're supposed to look up to is doing everything brazenly and unapologetically the wrong way.

Hopefully this becomes a lesson for Bray. He's definitely got the talent, just needs to clean up his act.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

He's definitely got the talent, just needs to clean up his act.
[/quote]
Sorry BM, he may have some talents ( a good handle, a mediocre shot, and a knack getting to the rack), but he lacks coachability, defensive effort, and being able to effectively share the ball. And personally, I haven't seen hardly any improvement over the course of the year. He has some talent, but has not learned the right way to play the game at this level and does not want to change. He has had opportunities, but it's time that he move on should he want to continue his basketball career..
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago If anything I feel bad for the kid the more we get into this.

Supposedly this is his dad. This is part of a long string of tweets he was going back and forth with a Rhody fan (and mainly with himself). Tough look and really unfair to Bray if this is the case. Imagine being a contributing factor negatively affecting your son's college and career aspirations and not "giving a fuck" while brazenly bragging about it.

Bray being at the game seems like he misses it, and maybe this will be a type of embarrassing, hard lesson for him to learn.

Now, with all of that - Bray's dad saying that no one else joined in doesn't line up with what several eye witnesses on here said, and based on what all of us have seen ourselves with Bray's attitude, body language, and reactions - I'm going to call a bit of BS on Bray's dad here.

Just unfair to the kid when the guy you're supposed to look up to is doing everything brazenly and unapologetically the wrong way.

Hopefully this becomes a lesson for Bray. He's definitely got the talent, just needs to clean up his act.
This changes noting for me.

Whether his old man was operating alone or with the collective fam is irrelevant. A member of the kid's camp crossed a line for all to see and it was the final drop in the bucket to cause the spill.

he seemingly (if that's really pops) doubled down on it by 'not giving a fuck'.

Cool. Now get lost, the whole lot of ya.
2 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago If anything I feel bad for the kid the more we get into this.

He also maybe just needs to transfer to a west coast school so he doesn't have situations like Saturday
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

His dad seems like a manipulative narcissistic pos

Or IMAGINE you can somehow rationalize a situation where it's okay to cuss out a coach like Archie Miller, somehow contribute to your son's dismissal (only player in 10+ years to be dismissed by Arch under these circumstances) and then take zero responsibility for any of it then play the fucking victim.

Just an exhausting person.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dang...not even on Twittler but clicked on the above and dude has lost it....(if he ever had it)
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

His dad seems like a manipulative narcissistic pos

Or IMAGINE you can somehow rationalize a situation where it's okay to cuss out a coach like Archie Miller, somehow contribute to your son's dismissal (only player in 10+ years to be dismissed by Arch under these circumstances) and then take zero responsibility for any of it then play the fucking victim.

Just an exhausting person.
Is it possible to play the effing victim if you don't give a f---? Just curious what the new rules are ...
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Damn, I though Mike Powell's dad was bad, this guy needs some medication (or maybe less medication?)
3 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Glad to be done with all that drama.
Time to move on and get back to trying to win basketball games.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

I'm the one who questioned him on twitter. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm not proud of it. Anyway, he said he would be in Kingston again sometime and it sounds like he wants to fight me. If he gets his jollies by beating up old men, well, what can I say?

1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm the one who questioned him on twitter. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm not proud of it. Anyway, he said he would be in Kingston again sometime and it sounds like he wants to fight me. If he gets his jollies by beating up old men, well, what can I say?

You've got all of KB behind you lol
3 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago I'm the one who questioned him on twitter. Sometimes I just can't help myself. I'm not proud of it. Anyway, he said he would be in Kingston again sometime and it sounds like he wants to fight me. If he gets his jollies by beating up old men, well, what can I say?

You've got all of KB behind you lol
:lol: :lol: :lol: Sometimes I wish I could keep my mouth shut...or my typing fingers tied up.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

That is his father...I had a brief interaction with him earlier in the year

This is some next level toxicity..."I said it, I'm the problem and I don't give an F."
Wow helluva a parenting lesson right there.

Where was the poster that wanted the background story?
4 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That is his father...I had a brief interaction with him earlier in the year

This is some next level toxicity..."I said it, I'm the problem and I don't give an F."
Wow helluva a parenting lesson right there.

Where was the poster that wanted the background story?
What happened to the guy that said his "family" was berating Archie from behind the bench? I wonder if it really was just the father because this guy seems like a DOUCHEBAG!
0 x