Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Re: Brayon Freeman Dismissed from Team

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

so what date will he be back on campus?

asking for a friend.
1 x
:lol:
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

The info I got -- again, second-hand from a Mason fan -- was that someone (who the fan assumed to be Bray's father) was the main problem.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That is his father...I had a brief interaction with him earlier in the year

This is some next level toxicity..."I said it, I'm the problem and I don't give an F."
Wow helluva a parenting lesson right there.

Where was the poster that wanted the background story?
What happened to the guy that said his "family" was berating Archie from behind the bench? I wonder if it really was just the father because this guy seems like a DOUCHEBAG!
These are two posts from the GMU board after I asked if anyone saw anything:

"Didn’t hear it but could see a group of folks behind the Rhodey bench standing and yelling something late in the second half, my seats are across the court so couldn’t make out what they were saying but I’m sure anyone over there could have heard it."

"I can second this, I sit in section 101 and could clearly see several people up and yelling in the direction of the bench. At the time I had no idea what they were yelling about or who they were directing it towards....now it all makes sense. If these people are in his corner, its no wonder he's been to 7 different schools since his freshmen year of HS. One day he will look back with regret at how he's handled himself."
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago That is his father...I had a brief interaction with him earlier in the year

This is some next level toxicity..."I said it, I'm the problem and I don't give an F."

What happened to the guy that said his "family" was berating Archie from behind the bench? I wonder if it really was just the father because this guy seems like a DOUCHEBAG!
These are two posts from the GMU board after I asked if anyone saw anything:

"Didn’t hear it but could see a group of folks behind the Rhodey bench standing and yelling something late in the second half, my seats are across the court so couldn’t make out what they were saying but I’m sure anyone over there could have heard it."

"I can second this, I sit in section 101 and could clearly see several people up and yelling in the direction of the bench. At the time I had no idea what they were yelling about or who they were directing it towards....now it all makes sense. If these people are in his corner, its no wonder he's been to 7 different schools since his freshmen year of HS. One day he will look back with regret at how he's handled himself."
Yikes... So probably a combination of insufferable relatives and unable to control his own emotions on the court (bad defense, poor body language). Glad all of that is gone.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I mean...all of that is true. But if it's "just" the father - that's still absurd. With the twins it was "just" the mother. One overbearing parent in that situation can cause all kinds of issues. Obviously it caused enough of an issue where Archie said he's all set.

Again though - I'm not taking the word of a delusional narcissist with his attitude as if it wasn't Bray or the rest of the family when there are literally people who saw it in person with their own eyes. I've seen enough of Bray's attitude and reactions and behavior on the bench in front of my face to fill in the blanks for myself. I don't need to know his situation to trust what I've seen.

This is why I feel a little bad for Bray though. Regardless, not a problem the whole team should have to go through. They looked the same as they did without Bray last night against one of the better teams they've played all year. Onwards and upwards.
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Six schools in six years is a red flag with roman candles shooting out of the flagpole. Whether it's Bray himself or his father, we don't need that kind of crap.
3 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Fight or flight...he picks flight
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago Obviously it caused enough of an issue where Archie said he's all set.
Most important point. We have a coach that is not afraid to sack up in tough situations and not cave to outside influences unnecessarily. Love it.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Was Bray @ tonight’s womens game ??
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Bos8 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago This team could have used an Xavier Munford. I know the line is that Archie wanted to bring in young guys to build for the future. The problem with that is if the guys you get in March and onward are good enough. Even with the benefit of the new transfer rules, I am not sure how successful they were in doing that. X took a lot of pressure off his teammates, conducted himself like a pro, and in no way interfered with the development of other guys.

Archie is a very good coach, but he has not historically been a “rebuilder.” That works a different set of coaching muscles. Rhody fans were feeling pretty good about poaching an all-freshmen player from a conference foe, but I am not sure it could have turned out worse. In this rebuilding stuff, the last thing you want is a distraction, and both of the higher regarded transfers were just that. It doesn’t mean anything predictive, Archie is going to be really good at URI, but this season kind of feels like a false start so far.
While I agree with your premise... Do we know that a Munford was available? For the record this is a certified NBA player who was willing to come here to be a part of a rebuild. While we certainly would have benefitted from the addition of a Munford, so would about 350 other D1 programs. And for every Munford there would be a Jerrelle Reischell and Biggie Minnis and Alwayne Bigby. At the end of the day, Archie still wants to win. And if an NBA caliber talent wanted to come to URI (with multiple years of eligibility) he would take him. Especially if, as you pointed out, he conducted himself and represents the University the way Xavier did.
One point about Jarrell Reichel. He was a good player and is still playing in Germany and has likely made a ton of money over there. Would love to have a Reischell on this team.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

So what schools are in the wash dc area that Daddy can go to. Towson, UNMC, American, Georgetown, What else am I missing. Assuming George Mason would not be interested
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

KeaneyBluBallz wrote: 1 year ago so what date will he be back on campus?

asking for a friend.
That's the question bud....probably at least equally as likely to be back as we are to see: viewtopic.php?p=548446#p548446
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago So what schools are in the wash dc area that Daddy can go to. Towson, UNMC, American, Georgetown, What else am I missing. Assuming George Mason would not be interested
He needs to be away from his family send him to a school in Florida
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Nah, wasn't just the father. Too many reports from people there that the group behind the bench were standing and yelling.

The father calling out people on Twitter as to when he will be on campus is really all I need to know about it. What kind of example is that. Also making this a race thing is over the top.
3 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Such a bad situation all the way around , glad Bray will be elsewhere
2 x
sevegny7
Art Stephenson

Unread post by sevegny7 »

I saw on Instagram he is back home in the DC area. At least currently today.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago This team could have used an Xavier Munford. I know the line is that Archie wanted to bring in young guys to build for the future. The problem with that is if the guys you get in March and onward are good enough. Even with the benefit of the new transfer rules, I am not sure how successful they were in doing that. X took a lot of pressure off his teammates, conducted himself like a pro, and in no way interfered with the development of other guys.

Archie is a very good coach, but he has not historically been a “rebuilder.” That works a different set of coaching muscles. Rhody fans were feeling pretty good about poaching an all-freshmen player from a conference foe, but I am not sure it could have turned out worse. In this rebuilding stuff, the last thing you want is a distraction, and both of the higher regarded transfers were just that. It doesn’t mean anything predictive, Archie is going to be really good at URI, but this season kind of feels like a false start so far.
While I agree with your premise... Do we know that a Munford was available? For the record this is a certified NBA player who was willing to come here to be a part of a rebuild. While we certainly would have benefitted from the addition of a Munford, so would about 350 other D1 programs. And for every Munford there would be a Jerrelle Reischell and Biggie Minnis and Alwayne Bigby. At the end of the day, Archie still wants to win. And if an NBA caliber talent wanted to come to URI (with multiple years of eligibility) he would take him. Especially if, as you pointed out, he conducted himself and represents the University the way Xavier did.
One point about Jarrell Reichel. He was a good player and is still playing in Germany and has likely made a ton of money over there. Would love to have a Reischell on this team.
I will not stand for this.

Glad he has a good career going, good for him.

Here he was a disaster.

-1.1 Box +/-, he IMPROVED from a -2.3 to a -1.0 in the Offensive Box +/- in his 2 years. That slight improvement was mainly because Hurley recognized how terrible he was, and he went from 19 mins down to 9 mins his junior year before transferring to a lower conference.

As for the basics - he averaged 4.3 points/2.2 rebounds in 14 mins a game. 44% from the field. 56% from the line.

He was one of the worst players that I've seen in a URI uniform in my 30+ years of consciously watching this team.

I'm all set having an offensively anemic undersized forward on this team. We've got enough who fit that role.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Maybe he should tell that to dad.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jeeze - I hope he means "sacrificing being too close with his family when they're not helping him achieve his goals" and not "sacrificing playing at URI this year because they weren't placating me or my batshit family baggage so I need to find someone who will."

*Grasso enters the chat...
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Jeeze - I hope he means "sacrificing being too close with his family when they're not helping him achieve his goals" and not "sacrificing playing at URI this year because they weren't placating me or my batshit family baggage so I need to find someone who will."

*Grasso enters the chat...
If I had any photoshop skills I would use them to add Grasso's face to this meme

6 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago
Does this mean he's really leaving, or could he still come back? (asking for a friend)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Does getting thrown off of a team get you a waiver?
2 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Does getting thrown off of a team get you a waiver?
Probably. If I ruled the world (imagine that), it would count against you.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Does getting thrown off of a team get you a waiver?
Probably. If I ruled the world (imagine that), it would count against you.
You must be high, or really really old, or maybe both? (Not that there's anything wrong with that)
That would be somewhat like holding someone accountable for their actions. So antiquated, don't you know that "having consequences" is why we're seeing all these weather disasters?...it simply isn't done these days.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Definitely not. He played 3/4 of a season, it counts. I doubt he'll be eligible to play next year...but maybe? Nothing the NCAA does makes sense.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

My question about waivers was kind of a sarcastic question......but I agree, nothing the NCAA does would surprise me.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

I wonder who the seventh school in seven years will be.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Maybe GU in DC😉
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

There will be no shortage of teams seeking his services, even if he has to sit next season.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago

I will not stand for this.

Glad he has a good career going, good for him.

Here he was a disaster.

-1.1 Box +/-, he IMPROVED from a -2.3 to a -1.0 in the Offensive Box +/- in his 2 years. That slight improvement was mainly because Hurley recognized how terrible he was, and he went from 19 mins down to 9 mins his junior year before transferring to a lower conference.

As for the basics - he averaged 4.3 points/2.2 rebounds in 14 mins a game. 44% from the field. 56% from the line.

He was one of the worst players that I've seen in a URI uniform in my 30+ years of consciously watching this team.

I'm all set having an offensively anemic undersized forward on this team. We've got enough who fit that role.
What Blue Man said.

He looked overmatched every night.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago There will be no shortage of teams seeking his services, even if he has to sit next season.
I’d guess P6 teams will be interested.
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

He’s a tough one. Talented but somewhat positionless.
I’m sure there will be suitors but I’m also sure a low efficiency volume scorer who has played for 6 schools in 6 years will turn many away. He’s not a PG, but he’s not a SG either. He needs the ball to be effective.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago There will be no shortage of teams seeking his services, even if he has to sit next season.
I’d guess P6 teams will be interested.
Probably

Initially when he first committed to GW P5 schools Florida, OK State, and Miss were also finalists.

When he entered the portal the first time before coming to URI; Arizona State, DePaul, Cincy, Xavier, Northwestern, and others showed interest.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I doubt Xavier will be interested this time. Just a hunch (being sarcastic).

Not that you alluded to that, Jersey.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

;) ;)
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I doubt Xavier will be interested this time. Just a hunch (being sarcastic).

Not that you alluded to that, Jersey.
Yeah, doubt that Sean will offer him. ;)
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
McRam wrote: 1 year ago So what schools are in the wash dc area that Daddy can go to. Towson, UNMC, American, Georgetown, What else am I missing. Assuming George Mason would not be interested
Agree, probably the first test on his learning experience here. Won’t bet on this one.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
Agree, probably the first test on his learning experience here. Won’t bet on this one.
Depends who the signing school is?.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Let Bray be someone else’s problem

Go to a lower D1 school where he can average about 18 a night
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I'm going to stick with 'no higher profile minutes than he had at Rhody'...(until he Pat Baldwin's us)
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
He's got a great attitude.
2 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
As Stephen a smith once said “GET OFF DA WEEEEEEEEEED”
This guy putting up a fight with 72 for dumbest take
I resemble that remark!!!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
I hope no one was surprised. Glad Archie showed him the door. No needs for a Fatts II.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I hope no one was surprised. Glad Archie showed him the door. No needs for a Fatts II.
No need to compare him to Fatts. Fatts was a loyal player who,played defense, made steals, took charges and kissed the Ryan Center floor on senior night. No comparison!
8 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Congratulations. You've graduated from idiot to asshole.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: Brayon Freeman

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago ...
I'll take the rebuild with guys who want to win as a team, not guys who are out for themselves alone. You can't win with a Brayon Freeman on your team. Close the book.
I recognized that months ago. Where have you been?

This is what happens to a kid whose parents and friends are leaches, and you love them as most kids do.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I'll take the rebuild with guys who want to win as a team, not guys who are out for themselves alone. You can't win with a Brayon Freeman on your team. Close the book.

This is what happens to a kid whose parents and friends are leaches, and you love them as most kids do.
Will be interesting to see how Freeman does this season. What did he learn from last season and how does he perform for Cliff Ellis, the winningest HC in College Basketball???
74DADCFE-56A2-495F-B761-4C0CEB992374.png
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 9 months ago

Will be interesting to see how Freeman does this season. What did he learn from last season and how does he perform for Cliff Ellis, the winningest HC in College Basketball???

74DADCFE-56A2-495F-B761-4C0CEB992374.png
Well Ramster, that is only if Bray is able to obtain an immediate play waiver from the NCAA for this season. If not, I guess we will have to wait and see how he does in 24-25.
0 x