2/11 | George Mason | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2/11 | George Mason | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by section(105) »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago "Development" is nice, but these days, it's free agency, er, I mean, the portal that's going to make a team good
I think it is finding the right combination of both and let's not forget the juco's.
Recruiting in the HS/prep ranks will always be extremely valuable.
For upper tier teams...I don't think so
I don’t think fan bases in general don’t have patience anymore to wait for the slow growth to develop its fruits. In these micro wave times, fans want it now, if not now then real soon. Especially with the readily available portal. The arms race is not so much game facilities, practice facilities, it is winning now environment and where can I(the Disease of Me)get showcased for the next level. Hard times to be coaching in this environment where the coaches paycheck is in the shorts of the “student athletes” running up and down the court doing their thing.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago "Development" is nice, but these days, it's free agency, er, I mean, the portal that's going to make a team good
I think it is finding the right combination of both and let's not forget the juco's.
Do you know of anyone who has not been approved for a waiver even though they had already used up their free transfer?
Last year I often read from Rothstein that waivers were being approved like watermelon seeds.
Seems like in reality transfers are unlimited. Wouldn't a paler like Freeman get a waiver approved? Move back to family, ne, 1st year coach at URI didn't work out for me, etc???
Thoughts?
Perez for WV for his denied this season.

I remember one or two others Rothstein tweeted about as well.
0 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Do you know of anyone who has not been approved for a waiver even though they had already used up their free transfer?
Last year I often read from Rothstein that waivers were being approved like watermelon seeds.
Seems like in reality transfers are unlimited. Wouldn't a paler like Freeman get a waiver approved? Move back to family, ne, 1st year coach at URI didn't work out for me, etc???
Thoughts?
Perez for WV for his denied this season.

I remember one or two others Rothstein tweeted about as well.
Yes 15, I had mentioned Perez in response to Ramster on the previous page.
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

On the good news front, there is now less than a month left in this putrid season.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

FWIW, Indiana is now #18 in the AP poll, #2 in the Big 10, with Archie having been gone 1 3/4 years. They beat Michigan on the road yesterday. I don't know how many holdovers there are from Archie's tenure but would argue he left an imprint on the program that is now paying dividends.

Indiana has 7 on the roster that are Jrs. or Srs. (they could have been there with Archie) totaling 18 years of experience. (They also have 6 So. for another 6 years of experience. They definitely came after Archie.)

We currently have one RS SR. - Martin (with 4 years of experience) and one RS Jr.- Carey (with 3 years of experience). After that there's a total of 6 years of experience with Ish (2 years of experience) and everyone else has 1 or zero for 4 years of experience.

In recap, Indiana had 18 years of Jr. and Sr. experience coming into this year and we had 7 with Martin and Cary. That's 2.5 times the experience in upperclassman on the team and going forward we won't have that level of experience (barring the portal) until 24-25.

Botton line. We have a very young team in experience, who had no experience playing together under Archie's new system, and time will be our biggest ally.

Translation: "We'll be good when we're good."
3 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Lotta misremembering, backpedaling and reverse takes going on in this thread from multiple posters.

It’s wicked entertaining keep going!
2 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

SLU, Dayton and VCU all have core program players. Complimented by transfers. That is the upper tier. Filling an entire roster with transfers that turn over year over year isn’t it.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

What helps those programs is stability in the coach. Can I add my own duh!
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago

SLU, Dayton and VCU all have core program players. Complimented by transfers. That is the upper tier. Filling an entire roster with transfers that turn over year over year isn’t it.
Agree. That's why we're probably 3 years away from being good.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago

Well yeah, that is why I am thinking year 3 maybe 20 wins and NIT, year 4 hopefully "Dance".
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

There no stated timeline for when we will be good
  • We will be good when we are good
  • We will be mediocre when we are mediocre
  • We will be bad when we are bad
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Safe to say we will be are bad when because we are bad
0 x
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Are we allowed an opinion?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Well Ramster if we can't start seeing something by year 3 and 4, there will be a lot of dissatisfied fans and things will get ugly for Archie.
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

But NONE of them are at-large teams!

Our goal is NCAA, but we really need to be more specific:
2nd weekend, at-large, top 25.

That’s the floor that I want.

We haven’t done it in 25 years.
Archie’s gotta get us back there soon.
Not next year, obviously, but we better get a heckuva lot closer than we are now, and soon.

Give us Dayton’s VCU’s Loyola’s recent level of success.
Not what SLU has now…they suck. Certainly not making the 2nd weekend.
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago

But NONE of them are at-large teams!

Our goal is NCAA, but we really need to be more specific:
2nd weekend, at-large, top 25.

That’s the floor that I want.

We haven’t done it in 25 years.
Archie’s gotta get us back there soon.
Not next year, obviously, but we better get a heckuva lot closer than we are now, and soon.

Give us Dayton’s VCU’s Loyola’s recent level of success.
Not what SLU has now…they suck. Certainly not making the 2nd weekend.
We've made the second weekend of the modern era of the NCAAs twice. If that's your floor I think you're going to get disappointed. There's a reason why those two teams are going into the hall of fame on Friday and there's a reason why 6 of those players are the beginning of our ring of honor Saturday
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Well Ramster if we can't start seeing something by year 3 and 4, there will be a lot of dissatisfied fans and things will get ugly for Archie.
No doubt,

but the "We will be good when we are good" has no timeline associated with it. Once I said to my boss at work "The project will be done when it's done" - didn't go over too well
1 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago
We've made the second weekend of the modern era of the NCAAs twice. If that's your floor I think you're going to get disappointed. There's a reason why those two teams are going into the hall of fame on Friday and there's a reason why 6 of those players are the beginning of our ring of honor Saturday
The RC was built to get us back there, if not every year then on a regular basis.

PC is there now.

I want top 4 A-10 EVERY year, dance 3 out of 4, top 25 and 2nd weekend regularly, and a Final Four in the near future.

Archie had UD at that level. Let’s f-n go!!!
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

The RC was built to get us back there, if not every year then on a regular basis.

PC is there now.

I want top 4 A-10 EVERY year, dance 3 out of 4, top 25 and 2nd weekend regularly, and a Final Four in the near future.

Is that all? :)
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, Indiana is now #18 in the AP poll, #2 in the Big 10, with Archie having been gone 1 3/4 years. They beat Michigan on the road yesterday. I don't know how many holdovers there are from Archie's tenure but would argue he left an imprint on the program that is now paying dividends.

Indiana has 7 on the roster that are Jrs. or Srs. (they could have been there with Archie) totaling 18 years of experience. (They also have 6 So. for another 6 years of experience. They definitely came after Archie.)

We currently have one RS SR. - Martin (with 4 years of experience) and one RS Jr.- Carey (with 3 years of experience). After that there's a total of 6 years of experience with Ish (2 years of experience) and everyone else has 1 or zero for 4 years of experience.

In recap, Indiana had 18 years of Jr. and Sr. experience coming into this year and we had 7 with Martin and Cary. That's 2.5 times the experience in upperclassman on the team and going forward we won't have that level of experience (barring the portal) until 24-25.

Botton line. We have a very young team in experience, who had no experience playing together under Archie's new system, and time will be our biggest ally.

Translation: "We'll be good when we're good."
Quick scan, it looks like the guys on Indiana this year are Anthony Leal, Michael Shipp, Nathan Childress, Jordan Geronimo, Trayce Jackson-Davis, Race Thompson, and Trey Galloway.

Leal, Shipp, and Childress are bench guys, but the other 4 are getting at least 14.7 minutes per game. Jackson-Davis is 1st on the team in points per game, rebounds per game, and 3rd in assists per game

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /2023.html
1 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

PC is there now.

PC is back there for the first time since 1997. Before that it was 87. Even with the advantages of Big East money they don't really do it much more than us, it's certainly not the floor for any PC fan that is thinking reasonably.

What you want for the program isn't realistic based on what the fanbase invests in the program. I think you should reassess how you view this program
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

PC is there now.

What???? No National Championships!!!!!??????? :lol: :lol: :lol:
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Basically Gonzaga. No big deal.
1 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Think Medium. We Do.
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

I don't like lowering my already low expectations for this program.
0 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago I don't like lowering my already low expectations for this program.
You might to if a good portion of the current roster returns
0 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

Thank goodness for Tammi and the Lady Rams.
2 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Wasn’t Hurley’s stated goal Gonzaga of the East?

Or am I misremembering?
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I think consistently making the NCAA tournament is a good goal for us as a program. Once we actually make it to the tournament consistently is when we can worry about things like advancing deeper in the tournament.

I also think that Miller is going to bring in talent any way he can, and that's going to be with recruiting conventional HS players and using transfers. The only kind of player he might not be so interested in right now would be guys with like, only one or two years of eligibility left. But, I kind of think that's a two-way street. Unless you just didn't play that much at your previous school, if you're a graduate transfer you probably want to go to a program that seems like it can win. I wouldn't expect those kind of players until the 2024-25 season.
2 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

PC is back there for the first time since 1997. Before that it was 87. Even with the advantages of Big East money they don't really do it much more than us, it's certainly not the floor for any PC fan that is thinking reasonably.

What you want for the program isn't realistic based on what the fanbase invests in the program. I think you should reassess how you view this program
We’re paying the coach 2M.
I want to beat PC more often than once a decade, and I want a national ranking.

If all you want is a top 200 NET, sorry but I hope you reassess what you want.

Bryant is about at that level now.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
PeteRI wrote: 1 year ago I don't like lowering my already low expectations for this program.
Without any major changes in the current plan, they will be five new players next year. Replacements for Martin, Carey, and Nwafor, and Harris (whether he comes here or not), and Foumena.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
Without any major changes in the current plan, they will be five new players next year. Replacements for Martin, Carey, and Nwafor, and Harris (whether he comes here or not), and Foumena.
?
Nwafor never signed, doesn't count.
Only one opening so far.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Did I miss something? Is Foumena leaving?
0 x
GO RAMS
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Wasn’t Hurley’s stated goal Gonzaga of the East?

Or am I misremembering?
I do recall that, yes, an an example of where this program could go.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

This post makes zero sense.

Nwafor never signed, Foumena has given no indication he’s leaving, Harris is irrelevant at this point, Carey could still come back, and there will 100% be other players who transfer/are forced out.
0 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Wife happened to have the local news on this morning when I came into the living room. Channel 12 I guess. They had Maury from MSG reporting on PC's loss to St. John's.

Didn't even mention URI. At all. For the whole sports segment, not just Maury's piece. WTF
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Not surprised, saw the same segment. Those folks have only so much air time, so Ithink they give it to the teams that matter, regarding post season. No?
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago
PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago I had high hopes for Freeman but I don’t think he fits into the culture we hope Archie is trying to instill.
🤣

Yeah let's get rid of one of our two best players
Where does it say we should get rid of him?
If you think he doesn't fit the culture then you don't want him on the team right?

Or do you want a guy that doesn't fit the culture to be on the team?
2 x
Rhodyg
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhodyg »

It continues to boggle my mind that Lou Hutch gets zero run on this team….
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Wife happened to have the local news on this morning when I came into the living room. Channel 12 I guess. They had Maury from MSG reporting on PC's loss to St. John's.

Didn't even mention URI. At all. For the whole sports segment, not just Maury's piece. WTF
Don’t be 8-16 / the worst team in the state and that won’t happen.
3 x
Go Rhody
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago Wife happened to have the local news on this morning when I came into the living room. Channel 12 I guess. They had Maury from MSG reporting on PC's loss to St. John's.

Agree for sure, but Maury is usually pretty good about at least mentioning URI...
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago

Agree for sure, but Maury is usually pretty good about at least mentioning URI...
When he’s in studio, sure. He was at MSG strictly covering PC St John’s so I’m not surprised he didn’t mention us.
0 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m expecting top 4 conference consistently and that should lead to ncaa bids , will take a bit to get to that level but once we get there Arch should make it a yearly thing
3 x
PeteRI
Sly Williams

Unread post by PeteRI »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m expecting top 4 conference consistently and that should lead to ncaa bids , will take a bit to get to that level but once we get there Arch should make it a yearly thing
^^^ This - and it better start in Year 3!
0 x
Rhody22
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Rhody22 »

Rhody22 wrote: 1 year ago

🤣

Yeah let's get rid of one of our two best players
Where does it say we should get rid of him?
If you think he doesn't fit the culture then you don't want him on the team right?

Or do you want a guy that doesn't fit the culture to be on the team?
If he changes his tune and decides to be a team player, then I think he can help this team. As it stands now, no, I do not want him on this team. You can’t build a culture with even a single bad apple. His play and antics remind me of the Mitchell twins last year.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Well, I do not think Brayon is anywhere near the antics of the twins. Rehab between the ears is difficult, but can be accomplished. Continued challenge for Archie work on this.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Probably not, but mine is... Portal. Get your "foundational" players from the portal and get em to stay a couple years.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Probably not, but mine is... Portal. Get your "foundational" players from the portal and get em to stay a couple years.
I don't think so.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I don't think so.
That's allowed. I think? :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I don't think so.
That's allowed. I think? :lol:
I meant about having an opinion 208.
That "We will be good when we are good" was pretty much etched in cement from Day 1.
0 x