2/1 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

2/1 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Saint Joseph’s University
Michael Hagan Arena, Philadelphia, PA
Wednesday, February 1, 2023
7:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
Saint Joseph’s Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island heads back out on the road for a 3-game swing after taking 2 out of 3 in their most recent homestand. Their first stop on this road trip is Philadelphia, where they take on the Saint Joseph’s Hawks. The Rams and Hawks are currently in a 6-way tie for seventh in the conference at 4-5. While Rhode Island enters this game with a two-game winning streak, the Hawks are coming in winners of 4 of the last 5.

Coach Billy Lange returns to Hawk Hill for his fourth season at the helm. Leading the Hawks on the court is sophomore guard Erik Reynolds II, who is leading the team with 18 points per game, which is in the top 65 in the country. Cameron Brown is second on the team with 14 points per game & leads the team in rebounds with 6 per contest. Both Reynolds and Brown are their best three-point shooters, especially Brown who shoots it at 42.6%. Dayton transfer Lynn Greer III runs the point and is leading the team in assists with 4.4 although is a bit turnover prone with almost 4 a game. Although not quite as a prolific scorer as his dad, who was Temple’s second all-time leading scorer, this Greer is averaging 10.6 for the Hawks. Saint Joseph’s does have some height down on the block with forward Kacper Klaczek & center Ejike Obinna. Obinna just went for 15 & 12 in his last game against George Mason. Klaczek does have a decent stroke from the outside, so Rhody won’t be able to play too far off him when he gets the ball above the free throw line. For the most part, the Hawks play a seven-man rotation so maybe Rhody will be able to throw some fresher bodies at them to slow them down.

The Rams are coming off a nice comeback win where they were down by as much as 14 in the first half. In that Saturday afternoon contest, they had nice even scoring with their 4 starting guards as they all poured in between 10 – 20 points & had 6 or 7 rebounds. Even guards Thomas & Weston had 5 and 6 rebounds respectively. Although consistently strong all season, the free throw shooting let them down a little bit the last game, the team shot 52.4% with Bray & Malik shooting it a combined 2-9.

Can Rhody get their first road win of the season? They certainly have a shot to pull off the upset. Although the Rams lost the game the last time these teams matched up, they have won 8 of the last 10 against the Hawks. These two teams are closely matched statistically speaking with the Hawks shooting it better from deep & the field. That has consistently been the case all season for the Rams though. Saint Joseph’s will probably be favored by about 5 at home. I think the Rams keep it close but just don’t quite have enough to get over the winless hump on the road. My prediction Saint Joseph’s 72 – URI 70. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
10-11, 4-5 in the A10
11-19, 5-13 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 208 (232)
RPI: 198 (234)
KenPom: 190 (214)
BPI: 196 (225)
Sagarin: 169 (192)
Barttovik: 171 (207)

Leaders:
Points – Erik Reynolds II 18.2 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Cameron Brown 6.0 (Sr., G)
Assists – Lynn Greer II 4.4 (Soph., G) (3.7 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 50-58
H: 28-23, A: 20-32, N: 2-3
Most Recent Matchup: 3/5/22 70-60 L at Saint Joseph’s
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – Saint Joseph’s
Match-up Predictor: 29.4% Chance of URI Winning
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Re: 2/1 | Saint Joseph’s | 7:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Obadiah »

St. Joe's has a proud basketball history, but the last several years have not been kind to them - six straight non-winning seasons. Billy Lange has them playing at their best of late, winning 4 of last five games.

Season   W   L   Attendance Avg.

16-17    11  20	     4,179
17-18    16  16	     3,368
18-19    14  19	     3,394
19-20     6  26	     2,108
20-21     5  15	       0
21-22    11  19      1,579
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

question.. is this game relevant ?

just checking vs what i have said before the beginning of the season...

time to fire it up and BELIEVE !
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Two teams trending up coming into the game. Should be a good game and another good test for us. And, relatively speaking, a relevant game in the jumbled A10 standings - which is good for us fans.

Yes, ECR, a relevant game in the standings. 👍🏼 I likey.

Go Rhody!
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Great write up, thanks once again!

Looking forward to watching this one.
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Feels like another close one

I'm looking to see if we can start limiting more of those unforced turnovers and will we be able to maintain that same effort we saw in the second half against La Salle.
3 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I swear to God if we win this game my optimism is going to be insufferable. CHOO CHOO
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I swear to God if we win this game my optimism is going to be insufferable. CHOO CHOO
Thanks for the heads up LOL!
2 x
Mobley was fouled.
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Remember when 72's solution to us winning more games was that Archie should coach more like the incredibly successful Billy Lange and have our players "heave up 3s"... Yes, the same Billy Lange that has a career coaching record of 123-186..

It would be awesome to win three in a row. My gut tells me we keep it close but lose. I hope I'm wrong!
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Sure, why not. Team rankings has #200 Rams with 36% chance to beat #187 Hawks
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Remember when 72's solution to us winning more games was that Archie should coach more like the incredibly successful Billy Lange and have our players "heave up 3s"... Yes, the same Billy Lange that has a career coaching record of 123-186..
For this year -YES!!!! We are not going to win pounding the ball inside to Samb and Alex. We need to get the right players taking every open trey, not just to beat the shot clock, guard their two shooters and get some transition offense. Bassy can do defend, but can't shoot; while Bray can shoot but can't defend. Malik can defend and rebound, but his shooting is sporadic. Carey is a gambler on defense. Ish is the only good two-way player on the team. Archie will continue to keep fresh players on court and hope for the best. A road win would be great. (Stevey, stay away from losers.)
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Remember when 72's solution to us winning more games was that Archie should coach more like the incredibly successful Billy Lange and have our players "heave up 3s"... Yes, the same Billy Lange that has a career coaching record of 123-186..
For this year -YES!!!! We are not going to win pounding the ball inside to Samb and Alex. We need to get the right players taking every open trey, not just to beat the shot clock, guard their two shooters and get some transition offense. Bassy can do defend, but can't shoot; while Bray can shoot but can't defend. Malik can defend and rebound, but his shooting is sporadic. Carey is a gambler on defense. Ish is the only good two-way player on the team. Archie will continue to keep fresh players on court and hope for the best. A road win would be great. (Stevey, stay away from losers.)
Lmao Bassy can defend?

Bassy defends in the same way you sign contracts and manage people - like when you demanded we give David Cox a minimum salary of $1.1M and then a year ago advocated that Cox should be extended.

And when did we pound the ball inside to Samb or Alex? Samb has a usage rate of 13%. Alex 15%. In his very limited action, Bilau was at 20%. That's never been our game, troll.

This team's game is and has always been midrange or guards getting to the rim. We rank 325th in 3 point attempts because we're 321st in 3 point percentage.

Conversely, we rank 32nd in the country at free throw attempts because we're 64th in percentage (La Salle dropped us from 34th).

That's what happens when your coach recognizes the strengths and deficiencies of his team, and coaches them to play to their strengths.

Back to your cave.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Their backcourt of Reynolds, Greer, and Brown against Ish, Bray, and Carey should be a great match-up.
Unfortunately, they have an advantage up front with Obinna and Klaczek.

I will be down there watching, so looking forward to the game.
3 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Lmao Bassy can defend?

Bassy defends in the same way you sign contracts and manage people - like when you demanded we give David Cox a minimum salary of $1.1M and then a year ago advocated that Cox should be extended.

And when did we pound the ball inside to Samb or Alex? Samb has a usage rate of 13%. Alex 15%. In his very limited action, Bilau was at 20%. That's never been our game, troll.

This team's game is and has always been midrange or guards getting to the rim. We rank 325th in 3 point attempts because we're 321st in 3 point percentage.

Conversely, we rank 32nd in the country at free throw attempts because we're 64th in percentage (La Salle dropped us from 34th).

That's what happens when your coach recognizes the strengths and deficiencies of his team, and coaches them to play to their strengths.

Back to your cave.
Exactly. No one is saying we should pound the ball inside. That's a terrible idea. But we shouldn't be throwing up a bunch of 3s each game either. Archie knows what to do and he's doing it.
3 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Their backcourt of Reynolds, Greer, and Brown against Ish, Bray, and Carey should be a great match-up.

Ya, their frontcourt scares me a little. Then again, we are probably going to say that most games. I hope you get to watch a great game. Jersey and a Rhody win
1 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Their backcourt of Reynolds, Greer, and Brown against Ish, Bray, and Carey should be a great match-up.

Rhody's biggest advantage is coaching. Lange is awful.
3 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago I swear to God if we win this game my optimism is going to be insufferable. CHOO CHOO
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

I’ll be watching to see if Archie shortens his rotation like he did against Dayton and LaSalle (last 10 minutes) now we’re in the home stretch of the season.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I’ll be watching to see if Archie shortens his rotation like he did against Dayton and LaSalle (last 10 minutes) now we’re in the home stretch of the season.
Will we see the same small lineup we did down the stretch against La Salle?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

PRT, I think he will be more inclined to go to the same small lineup at times, for example, to jolt the team or, the big(s) get in foul trouble or, the bigs are getting beat on D, etc.

Additionally, I think that he went to the small lineup gives opponents something else to have to worry about and prepare for, but conversely, the cat is out of the bag now so, opponents won’t be taken by surprise.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

St Joes favored by 51/2 is my guess. Others?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago St Joes favored by 51/2 is my guess. Others?
Nope, Rhody -2.5 (what it should be....they're not aware of the plan)
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

McRam wrote: 1 year ago St Joes favored by 51/2 is my guess. Others?
I think u are close bet it’s within 1 point of your prediction
0 x
BruceW
Michael Andersen

Unread post by BruceW »

Very excited to see this game in person. I live in NJ. Our backcourt has been playing outstanding. When the coach favors going small at crunch time. That tells me he knows that he has a shorter team that will get it done. Malik is the muscle inside. And when you have guards that are as rugged as Ish and Freeman it works. Sincerely I believe the Rams win. GO RHODY!!!! ❤️
4 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

LET"S GO RHODY!

GO RHODY!
0 x
gazakaza
Steve Chubin

Unread post by gazakaza »

Before today's game take a listen to our newest episode featuring SmartyBarrett talking about the Mens and Womens teams.

Last edited by gazakaza 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Thanks, Gazakaza. Will do.

Game day!
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

gazakaza wrote: 1 year ago Before today's game take a listen to our newest episode featuring SmartyBarrett talking about the Mens and Womens teams.

Really enjoyed the episode, Gazakaza. Another excellent job. 👍🏼
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Who’s on inflatable tire duty tonight ?
3 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Please take note if their two recruits are in the bench tonight. Christ Essandoko is 6’11. He committed to PC then decommitted from PC. He then went to St Joe, redshirting I believe.
Shawn Simmons is 6’7”. Highly recruited and decided to join St Joe a semester early. Both Simmons and Essandoko are practicing with the team and will be ready to play next Fall.
How do they look and fit in with the current group?
Thanks
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Please take note if their two recruits are in the bench tonight. Christ Essandoko is 6’11. He committed to PC then decommitted from PC. He then went to St Joe, redshirting I believe.
Shawn Simmons is 6’7”. Highly recruited and decided to join St Joe a semester early. Both Simmons and Essandoko are practicing with the team and will be ready to play next Fall.
Thanks
I see Essandoko, he is one big dude, solid build. Looking for Shawn.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Thanks
Also 77,
Essandoko is from Paris France, same as Alex Tchikou. So it would be interesting if they interact with one another and does it look like they are familiar with each other. One would think they might have played against each other in Paris growing up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Thanks
Also 77,
Essandoko is from Paris France, same as Alex Tchikou. So it would be interesting if they interact with one another and does it look like they are familiar with each other. One would think they might have played against each other in Paris growing up.
I see Shawn also, looks all of 6’7” but not the body of Essandoko.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Also 77,
How is the crowd? Rhody turnout?
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Also 77,
Enjoy the game, Jersey! Bring us luck and a win.

Go Rhody!
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Also 77,
Looking forward to your reports on the game.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Tchikou back in the starting lineup.

0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Let's go!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Pretty good start.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Malik missing wide open threes. Water is wet.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

6-6 U 16
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Carey, come on man. The fuck is that pass?!
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

THOMAS… gotta make that shot. Jesus
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago THOMAS… gotta make that shot. Jesus
Not sure why he is in. Already.
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Anyone who thinks Sebastian Thomas is anything above a D2 player is part of the problem.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago THOMAS… gotta make that shot. Jesus
Not sure why he is in. Already.
Yeah… unbelievable. One of the worst shooters I’ve seen
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Bassy comes in, SJU goes on a run.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The team played well with Bassy on the floor against La Salle. It’s the opposite so far here.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

19-11 SJU. 1142

Joes a couple of tough 3s

Need to make a run here
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

5 turnovers. Can't win doing that.
0 x