A-10 Tourney 4th Seed

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

A-10 Tourney 4th Seed

Unread post by Blue Man »

OK. Yes, I'm drinking the koolaid. I've been drinking the Archie Cola since mid-Feb. BUT. Watching St Louis/Bonnies last night when they displayed the standings (I really hadn't bothered paying attention all year) - a double bye/Friday start is legitimately not out of the question for Rhody.

Saint Louis 7-1 -- 15-6
VCU 7-2 .5 16-6
Dayton 6-3 1.5 14-8
Fordham 5-3 2 17-4
George Washington 5-3 2 11-10
St. Bonaventure 5-4 2.5 11-11
George Mason 4-4 3 12-9
Duquesne 4-5 3.5 14-8
UMass 4-5 3.5 13-8
Richmond 4-5 3.5 11-11
Rhode Island 4-5 3.5 8-13
Saint Joseph's 3-5 4 9-11
Davidson 3-6 4.5 10-11
La Salle 2-6 5 8-13
Loyola Chicago 1-7 6 7-13

I do not think we will overtake St Louis, VCU, or Dayton. That's not happening. But the 4th seed? The seed we are currently 1.5 games out of? That Fordham and GW currently are tied for? Why not us?

First off - we play both Fordham and GW down the stretch. Beat either or both of those teams (not out of the question), and you've pulled within a game or even of them. We also play George Mason and UMass, who we are a 1/2 game behind and tied with, also fighting for that 4th spot. All 4 of those games are incredibly winnable.

We play @ Joes, @ Loyola, and home vs Davidson. Those 3 are winnable as well.

Say you go 5-2 in those winnable games - not unreasonable. You somehow take VCU at home and drop to StL on the road. 6-3 down the stretch here isn't impossible, and we'd be 10-8.

Fordham and GW going 4-6 isn't an impossibility. Bonnies going 4-5 isn't an impossibility. GM going 5-5? Dukes, UMass, Richmond going 5-4?

These are incredibly possible outcomes in what is the worst A-10 top to bottom that I can remember.

URI doing anything between 2-7 and 7-2 down the stretch shouldn't shock anyone based on what we've seen. Our backcourt when clicking is the best in the A-10 and I stand by that. Our frontcourt is incredibly weak but we have a coach who can play smallball and recognizes when to ride a hot lineup and how to coach around our deficiencies.

I'm drinking koolaid. I'm believing in Archie. CHOO CHOO ALL ABOARD.
10 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Re: A-10 Tourney 4th Seed

Unread post by theblueram »

The big, BIG, question will be answered over the next two weeks as we have not won 1 road game this year. The next three are on the road. This stretch is big.
5 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago OK. Yes, I'm drinking the koolaid. I've been drinking the Archie Cola since mid-Feb. BUT. Watching St Louis/Bonnies last night when they displayed the standings (I really hadn't bothered paying attention all year) - a double bye/Friday start is legitimately not out of the question for Rhody.

Saint Louis 7-1 -- 15-6
VCU 7-2 .5 16-6
Dayton 6-3 1.5 14-8
Fordham 5-3 2 17-4
George Mason 4-4 3 12-9
Duquesne 4-5 3.5 14-8
UMass 4-5 3.5 13-8
Richmond 4-5 3.5 11-11
Davidson 3-6 4.5 10-11
La Salle 2-6 5 8-13

I do not think we will overtake St Louis, VCU, or Dayton. That's not happening. But the 4th seed? The seed we are currently 1.5 games out of? That Fordham and GW currently are tied for? Why not us?

First off - we play both Fordham and GW down the stretch. Beat either or both of those teams (not out of the question), and you've pulled within a game or even of them. We also play George Mason and UMass, who we are a 1/2 game behind and tied with, also fighting for that 4th spot. All 4 of those games are incredibly winnable.

Say you go 5-2 in those winnable games - not unreasonable. You somehow take VCU at home and drop to StL on the road. 6-3 down the stretch here isn't impossible, and we'd be 10-8.

Fordham and GW going 4-6 isn't an impossibility. Bonnies going 4-5 isn't an impossibility. GM going 5-5? Dukes, UMass, Richmond going 5-4?

These are incredibly posle outcomes in what is the worst A-10 top to bottom that I can remember.

URI doing anything between 2-7 and 7-2 down the stretch shouldn't shock anyone based on what we've seen. Our backcourt when clicking is the best in the A-10 and I stand by that. Our frontcourt is incredibly weak but we have a coach who can play smallball and recognizes when to ride a hot lineup and how to coach around our deficiencies.

Uh Oh Blue Man, you may still be a little hungover from yesterday.
Not that your optimism isn't nice, just a bit unrealisitic.
Let's not get all high and mighty because we just won 2 straight games.
The Dayton win was a great surprise, but I am not jumpimg up and down after beating a bad La Salle team by 2 points at home.

Our team still has several noticeable and obvious holes.
The next 3 games on the road and then home to face VCU will be very telling.

I am not there yet in thinking we can make the weekend cut in Brooklyn.
3 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

It all comes down to our big 3. It’s clear our ceiling is Ish, Bray and Jalen all playing well. You go 2 for 3 and we can prob be competitive with anyone and it’s 50-50 games. When all 3 are on we can beat anyone. When 2 of the 3 are struggling we can lose to anyone. We have been posting up Carey lately and I love it. He’s effective against most guards bc he can elevate and get his shot off regardless of defender.
5 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It all comes down to our big 3. It’s clear our ceiling is Ish, Bray and Jalen all playing well. You go 2 for 3 and we can prob be competitive with anyone and it’s 50-50 games. When all 3 are on we can beat anyone. When 2 of the 3 are struggling we can lose to anyone. We have been posting up Carey lately and I love it. He’s effective against most guards bc he can elevate and get his shot off regardless of defender.
I wonder if there’s people here who still think Carey isn’t an A10 player.
3 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago OK. Yes, I'm drinking the koolaid. I've been drinking the Archie Cola since mid-Feb. BUT. Watching St Louis/Bonnies last night when they displayed the standings (I really hadn't bothered paying attention all year) - a double bye/Friday start is legitimately not out of the question for Rhody.

Saint Louis 7-1 -- 15-6
VCU 7-2 .5 16-6
Dayton 6-3 1.5 14-8
Fordham 5-3 2 17-4
George Mason 4-4 3 12-9
Duquesne 4-5 3.5 14-8
UMass 4-5 3.5 13-8
Richmond 4-5 3.5 11-11
Davidson 3-6 4.5 10-11
La Salle 2-6 5 8-13

These are incredibly posle outcomes in what is the worst A-10 top to bottom that I can remember.

Uh Oh Blue Man, you may still be a little hungover from yesterday.
Not that your optimism isn't nice, just a bit unrealisitic.
Let's not get all high and mighty because we just won 2 straight games.
The Dayton win was a great surprise, but I am not jumpimg up and down after beating a bad La Salle team by 2 points at home.

Our team still has several noticeable and obvious holes.
The next 3 games on the road and then home to face VCU will be very telling.

I am not there yet in thinking we can make the weekend cut in Brooklyn.
Normally I'd agree with you - but as the resident spinzone blackbelt and tin foil hat conspiracy theorist - I don't think it's that unrealistic.

I'm not all high and mighty because we won 2 games. I'm high and mighty because I've said 3 things for the past 3 months that are coming more and more into focus:

1) the A10 sucks
2) we are going to keep getting better
3) I wouldn't want to play us in Brooklyn

#1 remains true. This conference is terrible top to bottom. After watching St Louis almost choke it away to Davidson Friday, VCU choking at home against St. Bonnies, and watching us beat Dayton - this conference doesn't have an unbeatable team. That goes double for the EIGHT teams that are within 1.5 games of that 4th spot.

Who out of Fordham (who we beat), GW, St Bonaventure (who we beat), Mason, Duquesne, UMass, and Richmond is head and shoulders above us without a single flaw?

To say we're going to finish top 3 is unrealistic. To say that we can come out on top of a heap of similarly flawed teams when only down 1.5 games and playing half of them down the stretch? I don't think is that crazy. I didn't say we're going undefeated. I said 5-2 against teams we should be able to beat, and split the teams that are in the upper echelon (St Louis and VCU):

@ Joes (W), @ St Louis (L), @ GM (W), vs VCU (W), vs UMass (L), vs GW (W), @ Ford (W), @ Loyola (W), Davidson (L). Does that seem like a ridiculous scenario? That part is very attainable. And assuming that other teams in the conference will be around or slightly above .500 doesn't seem to be super unlikely either.

I'm excited because in the last week we've seen more glimpses of what I hold firm beliefs on:

Archie is one of the best X's and O's coaches in the A10.
When playing well, Bray and Ish make up the best backcourt in the conference.

I just think that the #4 seed - while sounding crazy in year 1 of a rebuild if you had asked everyone in October/Nov/December, seems like a realistic goal that we could hit with that outlined scenario. St Joes was 10-8 and took the 4th seed in 2018. 4 more teams tied for 5th at 9-9.

Stranger things have happened - that's why they play the games! BELIEVE.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I guess anything is possible Blue Man but I still don't see it happening.

There are probably several teams in the conference that can make the same case for their guards.
The only difference is we currently have no bigs that are able to make much of an impact.
We rely too much on our backcourt to carry us, no other real scoring options and we don't have a strong defensive presence in the paint.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago I guess anything is possible Blue Man but I still don't see it happening.

There are probably several teams in the conference that can make the same case for their guards.
The only difference is we currently have no bigs that are able to make much of an impact.
We rely too much on our backcourt to carry us, no other real scoring options and we don't have a strong defensive presence in the paint.
No lies there.

But I've seen what Archie did with a Dayton team that had no one taller than 6'6. I CHOOSE LIFE!
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Wonder what happened with Tchikou bc Archie only used him when he had no other option. He had a block and dunk (as well as a turnover and dumb foul) in a really short shift. Maybe it was just matchups but he started the game before so it was odd.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

One game at a time……..win the next one.
5 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Already a roller coaster ride...

- Arch gets hired - Me: we're going to the tourney, right away, instantly. Arch has us so in the tournament that, if he had been hired right after Cox last regular season game, and coached them in the A10 tourney...we would have received an at-large. Because Arch.
- Then the Blue / White scrimmage happened - oy.... doesn't look like we're going anywhere
- The open of the season includes losses to Q and Brown - AT HOME. Thud...we're definitely not going anywhere this year....(the "wait"-ers, not the haters, were right...)
- Then the Dayton win...wow, that's cool - still not going to Brooklyn to watch a play in game, but, hey, really nice win
- They come back from down 14 to beat LaSalle....now my mind has them getting to 10-6 in conference - with Brooklyn basketball once again a must see....

The one constant in the ride...they pass it around and get good shots. Massive upgrade.
5 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Wonder what happened with Tchikou bc Archie only used him when he had no other option. He had a block and dunk (as well as a turnover and dumb foul) in a really short shift. Maybe it was just matchups but he started the game before so it was odd.
I think one of the announcers (Steve, maybe?) mentioned one of his legs was wrapped (don’t recall what part). So, maybe injury related but a minor injury?
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago Wonder what happened with Tchikou bc Archie only used him when he had no other option. He had a block and dunk (as well as a turnover and dumb foul) in a really short shift. Maybe it was just matchups but he started the game before so it was odd.
I think one of the announcers (Steve, maybe?) mentioned one of his legs was wrapped (don’t recall what part). So, maybe injury related but a minor injury?
He looked like he had a lot more tape or something up one leg, like high ankle-ish.
Maybe they are so precise with healing and treatment now, they decided he needed that extra 45 minutes or so?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago One game at a time……..win the next one.
It’s like Fight Club, one fight at a time boys……..
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
section(105) wrote: 1 year ago One game at a time……..win the next one.
It’s like Fight Club, one fight at a time boys……..
I'm going long game...2 out of 3, then 4 (probably 6, but that's too far to look ahead) in a row. 8-)
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Still too early for this, but Rhody isn't in a great spot tiebreaker-wise.
1 x
luke
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by luke »

I think we need to stop getting ahead of ourselves . It was a nice comeback yesterday and I would like to believe, of course . Having driven up from NJ
for the past 3 games in 8 days , as bad as the season had gone up until this week , I have loved being there for the wins over Dayton and Lasalle .
Sure I hope things could go as well as NY Giants fan and Blueman have laid out , but admittedly it is a tall order . Just beat St. Joes on the road first
and then we will see . Can they turn their season around this late in the game ? Sure, it's been done before . I agree with the one game at a time
approach.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Would think we would have to go 2-1 on this 3 game road trip to have a shot @ the 4 seed , definitely tough as we will be dogs in all 3 but crazier things have happened I guess
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Definitely possible!

When Bray, Ish and Jalen are ballin, there really isn't anyone in the A-10 that can match that.

When they got their shit together they just did whatever they wanted to La Salle. They dominated Dayton.

I mean maybe Yuri Collins, Jimmerson and Perkins at SLU are better maybe?

Either way, those three can carry us against most anybody in this currently watered down A-10.

Side note

I dont think anyone pointed out how nice it was to beat Fran Dunphy. His Temple teams ripped our hearts out one too many times...
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The sad reality is that URI is far more likely to finish in the bottom four than the top four.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

4-5 thru the first 9

Let's look to improve that in the back half against a tougher slate.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The sad reality is that URI is far more likely to finish in the bottom four than the top four.
Maybe.

But URI was also far more likely to not sign Archie Miller as their coach last year.

The only point of this thread is to point out that it's not impossible. The A-10 is a logjam of mediocrity and inconsistency for teams 4-12. You could make the same argument for why we could finish 4th and why we could finish 12th. Inconsistency. No team in the A10 is flawless or complete. Every team has holes. Even the top 3 suck. Dayton didn't get a Q2 OOC win. St. Louis has the conference's only Q1 win against PC. VCU got 1 Q2 win (also lost to Jacksonville and St Bonnies at home).

The rest of the pile between the 4 seed and us? (Separated by 1.5 games with 9 to go) They are in the same boat as URI. We're getting better. Out of this list of coaches - Dambrot, Urgo, English, Caputo, Mooney, Schmidt, Lange - you don't put Archie Miller ahead of all of them? Miller has more COY's than all but Schmidt, and Schmidt doesn't have Jaylen Adams or a stud team this year.

I'm not saying we need to be twice as good as any of those teams either. We just need to be 15% better than them down the stretch. Gain 1.5 games on a pack of teams that we play half of and are equally competitive as.

There's as many reasons to say we can't as to say we could. So say we could. CHOOSE LIFE. BELIEVE!
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The sad reality is that URI is far more likely to finish in the bottom four than the top four.
Maybe.

But URI was also far more likely to not sign Archie Miller as their coach last year.

The only point of this thread is to point out that it's not impossible. The A-10 is a logjam of mediocrity and inconsistency for teams 4-12. You could make the same argument for why we could finish 4th and why we could finish 12th. Inconsistency. No team in the A10 is flawless or complete. Every team has holes. Even the top 3 suck. Dayton didn't get a Q2 OOC win. St. Louis has the conference's only Q1 win against PC. VCU got 1 Q2 win (also lost to Jacksonville and St Bonnies at home).

The rest of the pile between the 4 seed and us? (Separated by 1.5 games with 9 to go) They are in the same boat as URI. We're getting better. Out of this list of coaches - Dambrot, Urgo, English, Caputo, Mooney, Schmidt, Lange - you don't put Archie Miller ahead of all of them? Miller has more COY's than all but Schmidt, and Schmidt doesn't have Jaylen Adams or a stud team this year.

I'm not saying we need to be twice as good as any of those teams either. We just need to be 15% better than them down the stretch. Gain 1.5 games on a pack of teams that we play half of and are equally competitive as.

There's as many reasons to say we can't as to say we could. So say we could. CHOOSE LIFE. BELIEVE!
Yes Blue Man, I would definitely put Archie in the very top tier of A10 coaches along with the rest of our staff.

Just looking at our current rotation, I would have to lean towards RF1's thinking.
Maybe not bottom 4, but not far from it.

Still a long way to go and arguably the toughest part of the schedule coming up.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

While I agree with Blue Man that it is just as likely to finish in the top 4 as the bottom, I do want to play the Winston Wolf card. Sure we beat dayton and followed that up with a come from behind win vs. LaSalle, but "let's not go .... just yet!" This team is on the rise and it is exciting, but at the same time, let's temper expectations. One game at a time. We're not good enough to look past anyone.

Of course, I'll be more than happy to eat a little crow if we do go on a run and end up in 4th and a bye into the quarterfinals!
1 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Some argue that being a 12-13 and having no one higher than the 4 seed to get to the semi finals is not bad. Play an extra game but havie a run in the tournament .???
0 x
brady1
Art Stephenson

Unread post by brady1 »

Lol, I love it. Whoever gets the 4 spot in the A-10 this year is a team with MASSIVE holes. The 3 guards need to combined for efficient shooting 5-19 and 4-14 doesn’t cut it. In our wins the three combined are efficient. Get Carey another year! I tried this weekend to see if there is way to bet URI to make the 4 spot on the betting spots haven’t found one. I’d love to see the odds. If they win a road game at St joies Wednesday. Watch out!!!!!

GO RHODY!
1 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago While I agree with Blue Man that it is just as likely to finish in the top 4 as the bottom, I do want to play the Winston Wolf card. Sure we beat dayton and followed that up with a come from behind win vs. LaSalle, but "let's not go .... just yet!" This team is on the rise and it is exciting, but at the same time, let's temper expectations. One game at a time. We're not good enough to look past anyone.

Of course, I'll be more than happy to eat a little crow if we do go on a run and end up in 4th and a bye into the quarterfinals!
While the last games showed progress and most importantly buying into Archie’s system can we at least win a road game before talking about how we can win the A-10 tourney and how the win over Dayton was being compared to one of the best victories including over Nebraska. It was LaSalle, who is not good and Dayton that is a NIT team at best. Great progress, but still very limited talent. Let’s see what happens
2 x
Mattrams94
Michael Andersen

Unread post by Mattrams94 »

I will continue to defend my stance that if our team had experienced big man, we could be an NIT team and maybe beyond. Bray and Ish have been playing on an All-conference level as of late and Carey is right behind them.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

this whole thread sounds familiar.. not sure where i heard of this before tho
1 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Some argue that being a 12-13 and having no one higher than the 4 seed to get to the semi finals is not bad. Play an extra game but havie a run in the tournament .???
While it has been proven difficult for the 1 seed in this tournament - don't remember the last time the 1 has won it, having the bye into the quarterfinals is certainly helpful in that you have more rest. It isn't often that a team wins 4 games in 4 days (Richmond I think last year, Xavier a couple of times when they were in the league, not sure who else). Being in the now first round and needing to win 5 in 5 days would prove to be nearly impossible, or at least extremely unlikely. This year there is a day off baked into the schedule on Friday in between the quarterfinals and semis. I don't know if that's a one time thing or the plan going forward. So in that case it could make a 5 win champion more possible.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago
steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago While I agree with Blue Man that it is just as likely to finish in the top 4 as the bottom, I do want to play the Winston Wolf card. Sure we beat dayton and followed that up with a come from behind win vs. LaSalle, but "let's not go .... just yet!" This team is on the rise and it is exciting, but at the same time, let's temper expectations. One game at a time. We're not good enough to look past anyone.

While the last games showed progress and most importantly buying into Archie’s system can we at least win a road game before talking about how we can win the A-10 tourney and how the win over Dayton was being compared to one of the best victories including over Nebraska. It was LaSalle, who is not good and Dayton that is a NIT team at best. Great progress, but still very limited talent. Let’s see what happens
Whooooa OK - to be clear this thread is about getting the 4 seed. Not winning the A-10 tourney. However, I will totally write that spinzone piece after we get the 4 seed :D .

Agreed on all accounts about beating Dayton not being a "traditional Dayton" and La Salle being La Salle (but it was still a 14 point comeback).

I agree that we need a road win. We need to put together a stretch of games that we haven't all year. At a minimum 6-3 down the stretch, meaning we'd have gone 8-3 to close out the year. Obviously not very likely.

We are definitely one game at a time. This thread exists to establish what the ceiling is and what COULD happen.

One game at a time. Beat St Joes and this starts to get hotter.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Does anyone else hate the fact that there are no games on Friday...and that the tourney starts on Tuesday, or is it just me?
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone else hate the fact that there are no games on Friday...and that the tourney starts on Tuesday, or is it just me?
I actually like it. The top 4 seeds play Thursday, the winners get a day off on Friday, and then play Saturday and Sunday. You just want to be one of those teams. Just wait till the A10 goes to 25 teams :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Don’t forget, it’s bottom 6 now that it’s 15 teams.
The first byes go to teams 5-9, double byes still go to the top 4
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone else hate the fact that there are no games on Friday...and that the tourney starts on Tuesday, or is it just me?
I actually like it. The top 4 seeds play Thursday, the winners get a day off on Friday, and then play Saturday and Sunday. You just want to be one of those teams. Just wait till the A10 goes to 25 teams :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I also like it, with the day-off on Friday.
I am thinking 16 teams in the not-too-distant future.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

I guess from that perspective, but traveling to NYC as we do, Friday will be a wasted (and expensive) day for us...if I go shopping to pass the time?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This complicates the hell out of travel and is probably a net-negative for tournament attendance.

How many people can take that extra day off of work? And NYC in the winter isn't exactly a dream tourism spot to galivant about. Now you're spending an extra night's money on a hotel? Even if you get a top 4 seed, you have to commit to a 3 night stay instead of a weekend.

So now, instead of people saying "eh - I'll plan to head in Friday and just stay the weekend regardless, are now going to say "i'll wait until Thursday night to decide if I'm going Sat/Sun or not.

Plus it gives an advantage to the teams who didn't perform as well in the regular season with the extra day of rest.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago

I guess from that perspective, but traveling to NYC as we do, Friday will be a wasted (and expensive) day for us...if I go shopping to pass the time?
LTR, go to a show on Friday and really spend a few $.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Although I did just kind of change my tune - Big East Tourney will be going on at MSG.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

This complicates the hell out of travel and is probably a net-negative for tournament attendance.

How many people can take that extra day off of work? And NYC in the winter isn't exactly a dream tourism spot to galivant about. Now you're spending an extra night's money on a hotel? Even if you get a top 4 seed, you have to commit to a 3 night stay instead of a weekend.

So now, instead of people saying "eh - I'll plan to head in Friday and just stay the weekend regardless, are now going to say "i'll wait until Thursday night to decide if I'm going Sat/Sun or not.

Plus it gives an advantage to the teams who didn't perform as well in the regular season with the extra day of rest.
Exactly! We will go anyway, but it just means an extra day off from work, unless you can work remotely AND added expense of Tues-Sunday hotel and food. It will be interesting to see if it does dissuade some folks from attending.
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Although I did just kind of change my tune - Big East Tourney will be going on at MSG.
I would only go to that if Pee Cee wasn't playing Friday. I'd like to see UConn-Creighton perhaps.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

There was the one year there were 16 teams. The last year that Temple, Xavier, Charlotte and the one year of Butler, so it wouldn't surprise me if it went to 16 again.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

CHUG-A-LUG!
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Last night Fordham winning didn't exactly help the cause.

Tonight is in the "must win" category (if the #4 dream is to stay alive) - as we are now 2 full games behind Fordham.

A win tonight and we're guaranteed to gain 3 spots and get back to 1.5 back of the #4 spot.
0 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Not even halftime but this thread can be locked now.
2 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

This blow out is what I needed. Pour some cold water on me and wake me up. We’ll be playing Tuesday.
1 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago This blow out is what I needed. Pour some cold water on me and wake me up. We’ll be playing Tuesday.
Just edit the title and change it to "14th seed" instead.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

No need to edit - my prediction still stands !

LOL

limoncello - I need it tonight (sigh)
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Pass some over here, ECR. I need a drink. Ooph
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago This blow out is what I needed. Pour some cold water on me and wake me up. We’ll be playing Tuesday.
I still think they can avoid the bottom six. Only a game out right now. This conference is too drunk right now to think they don't have a shot.
1 x