1/21 | George Mason | 12:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/21 | George Mason | 12:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs George Mason University
Ryan Center, Kingston, RI
Saturday, January 21, 2023
12:00PM

Media
TV: YurView
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
George Mason Fan Forum

After back-to-back road losses, Rhody heads back home to open up a three game homestand in Kingston to take on George Mason this Saturday at noon. This is the first time they have played the Patriots in two years as last year’s tilt was canceled due to COVID. George Mason has yet to win a conference road game while URI has yet to lose a conference home game. The Patriots enter this contest with a 11-8 record and are 3-3 in the conference. They have played 2 common out of conference opponents, Boston College which was a 15 point loss & Tulane which was a 6 point win.

Second year coach Kim English’s Patriots were picked to finish 5th in the A10 preseason poll. Rhody will have to deal with another preseason all-conference 1st team player in Josh Oduro. Oduro is another big bodied scorer that Rhody will have trouble trying to guard. He is an efficient scorer who is shooting over 50% from the field this season. His scoring is down from last year from 17.7 to 14.4. He is leading the team in both scoring, rebounding and blocks and is second on the team in assists. Some negatives regarding his game are that he is prone to turnovers with almost 3 per game & is a lousy free throw shooter at just 60%. In his 4 true road game he is shooting an appalling 53% from the line. The Patriots have 3 other double-digit scorers on the team, all guards, in Victor Bailey Jr (12.4), Ronald Polite III (10.8), & DeVon Cooper (10.6). The Rams will have to defend Bailey Jr as soon as he crosses midcourt cause this kid is a shooter. The Tennessee transfer has 4 or more made 3s in 5 games this season & is shooting it at an eyepopping 49% from deep. In his last 5 games he is shooting it from behind the arc at 63.3%. He is the type of player the Rams will be desperate to pick-up next season.

Size wise, both teams are comparable. Shooting stats wise is where things divulge. George Mason shoots the ball 7% better from the field as well as from three better than Rhody. From the charity stripe is where Rhode Island has a big advantage as they shoot it over 10% better than George Mason. I know this sounds like a broken record, but Rhody must clean up the wasted possessions of either careless turnovers or Bray or Carey trying to do too much with the ball. Rhody’s shooting defense has done well this season as they are holding teams to just 41.5% shooting from the field & 30.9% from deep. The problem is URI’s numbers are worse in both accounts.

Will Rhody keep their home conference win streak going? The Rams have won 7 of the last 8 contests against the Patriots & 4 of last 5 at home. Even though on the road, my guess is that George Mason will be favored by a couple of points. Although the students are starting to trickle back to campus & not fully there year, the crowd could potentially be decent, 5000+ announced attendance with 4000+ in the stands as this game was part of the 5-game mini plan. Will the crowd be enough to get Rhody over the finish line? Probably not. My prediction George Mason 71 – URI 68. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
11-8, 3-3 in the A10
14-16, 7-9 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 133 (236)
RPI: 135 (224)
KenPom: 120 (211)
BPI: 113 (225)
Sagarin: 117 (200)
Barttovik: 143 (209)

Leaders:
Points – Josh Oduro 14.4 (Sr., F)
Rebounds – Josh Oduro 7.8 (Sr., F)
Assists – Ronald Polite III 3.8 (Jr., G) (2.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 7-4
H: 4-3, A: 3-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 1/16/21 80-60 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 – URI
Match-up Predictor: 40.0% Chance of URI Winning
3 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Re: 1/21 | George Mason | 12:00PM (YurView/ESPN+)

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings now has their #205, #13 A-10 ranked URI has 42% chance to beat their #115 ranked George Mason
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I'm expecting a win here.
2 x
GO RAMS
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

For some strange reason I have a good feeling about this one as well.
1 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Quotes in this thread from Leggett, Thomas and Archie at the media avail today. I'm not going to get too worked up over coach speak, because its just that, but I also don't really love some of the excuses lately about travel, being physically drained, etc. I guess we'll see if three straight home games helps at all.

I do agree with him that we need to be more physical in the paint. I think many of us have been saying the same for a bit now. And I do appreciate that he is putting more of the blame on coaching then the players, even if thats just some more of the coach speak.

We gotta be due for a win here soon! I think we at least have a shot at taking 2 of the 3 home games coming up.

0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Quotes in this thread from Leggett, Thomas and Archie at the media avail today. I'm not going to get too worked up over coach speak, because its just that, but I also don't really love some of the excuses lately about travel, being physically drained, etc. I guess we'll see if three straight home games helps at all.

I do agree with him that we need to be more physical in the paint. I think many of us have been saying the same for a bit now. And I do appreciate that he is putting more of the blame on coaching then the players, even if thats just some more of the coach speak.

We gotta be due for a win here soon! I think we at least have a shot at taking 2 of the 3 home games coming up.

Archie is right. They've gotta become a more physical team.
1 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

To be a more physical team players need to be built for that. Tchikou too skinny shows minimal strength. Samb undersized for the five.Stewart doesn't appear to be athletic enough...need the tools to do the job
3 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago To be a more physical team players need to be built for that. Tchikou too skinny shows minimal strength. Samb undersized for the five.Stewart doesn't appear to be athletic enough...need the tools to do the job
Agreed.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

We are driving up for this game, so really curious to see how they open up this homestand.
Unfortunately, I don't have a great feeling but hoping we can pull it out, not liking some of the match-ups though.

I originally felt that GM could be a top 5 A10 team, but not playing as well as I thought they would.
Gaines a starter and double-scorer from last season has missed the last 5 games with a wrist injury.
He is questionable for Saturday.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

At this time of year you are game planning and the tough practices should be over. Save all your energy for the game, get rest and get yourself into the right state of mind to give your best effort.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago To be a more physical team players need to be built for that. Tchikou too skinny shows minimal strength. Samb undersized for the five.Stewart doesn't appear to be athletic enough...need the tools to do the job
I agree. None of these guys are currently physically ready to become an A10 upper devision big man. Maybe down the road. Not this year.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

The trend that GM doesn’t play great on the road gives me hope for a win Saturday.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago We are driving up for this game, so really curious to see how they open up this homestand.
Unfortunately, I don't have a great feeling but hoping we can pull it out, not liking some of the match-ups though.

I originally felt that GM could be a top 5 A10 team, but not playing as well as I thought they would.
Gaines a starter and double-scorer from last season has missed the last 5 games with a wrist injury.
Are you only going to GMU game?
Dayton will be interesting next Wednesday. Starting 5 forwards and us starting 4 guards will be interesting plus we don’t play very physical as Miller stated today.
LaSalle the 3rd of the 3 game home stand.
Then St Joe on the road

LaSalle, St Joe and Loyola are the weakest NET opponents remaining. Best opportunities for wins.
0F259BE4-D098-4214-9175-C9C3C1947A77.jpeg
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago We are driving up for this game, so really curious to see how they open up this homestand.

Dayton will be interesting next Wednesday. Starting 5 forwards and us starting 4 guards will be interesting plus we don’t play very physical as Miller stated today.
Then St Joe on the road

LaSalle, St Joe and Loyola are the weakest NET opponents remaining. Best opportunities for wins.

Coming up tomorrow and leaving Sunday.
I will catch Dayion next week on national TV.

I will probably go to the St. Joe's game (Philly) and Fordham game (Bronx).
We may come back up for the VCU game.
Just hectic 4 - 5 hours from Pa, and sometimes the kids and their families visit.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Then St Joe on the road

Just hectic 4 - 5 hours from Pa, and sometimes the kids and their families visit.
I think attendance will be low. You should be able to walk around and change seats easily if you wish. Get there early and watch the Rhody players warm up is interesting.
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Then St Joe on the road

I think attendance will be low. You should be able to walk around and change seats easily if you wish. Get there early and watch the Rhody players warm up is interesting.
I wonder how attendance will be on Wednesday vs Dayton? If we're talking student section, I'd say if they win Saturday the students might show up (since they're back for 2nd semester), but if they lose expect a really bad turnout. Usually the Dayton game is a great opportunity for URI, but this year I can't see them winning it even with home advantage.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Then St Joe on the road

Yep, always get there early.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Then St Joe on the road

Weekend game, part of 5 game mini package, students back on campus.

I think it’ll be decently attended.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Weekend game, part of 5 game mini package, students back on campus.

I think it’ll be decently attended.
12pm start games don’t usually do too well for students. Maybe promotions get people out.

Promotions for Saturday

George Mason | January 21st | 12pm
- Shooting Sleeves: First 1000 students will receive a Rhody Shooting Sleeve
- Fan Packs: Ticket, popcorn, and a small soda for $16.50, or Ticket, popcorn, and beer/wine for $20.00. For each ticket purchased, you will receive a complimentary clear Rhody Game Bag compliments of Bank Newport.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago

I wonder how attendance will be on Wednesday vs Dayton? If we're talking student section, I'd say if they win Saturday the students might show up (since they're back for 2nd semester), but if they lose expect a really bad turnout. Usually the Dayton game is a great opportunity for URI, but this year I can't see them winning it even with home advantage.
Should be good. Promotions. 1st week of classes back in session

Dayton | January 25th | 7pm

- Coaches vs Cancer: Promo Code: CVC for Cancer Survivors CLICK HERE for TICKETS
- Greek Night: pairings announced post-game, Greek alumni receive group rate tickets
- High School Night: High School Students get in for free (must register ahead of time) CLICK HERE TO REGISTER
1 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Given how much GM's game relies on Oduro, I fear this game might not swing in URI's favor.

Kenpom defines his %poss as "A measure of personal possessions used while the player is on the court. Simply assigns credit or blame to a player when his actions end a possession, either by missing a shot that isn’t rebounded by the offense or committing a turnover. 20% is average, and 25% indicates a go-to guy."

Oduro is at 29.7.

Couple that with his effective FG% of 54.6% and his "true shooting %" at 56.2%. Best I can tell, true shooting is a KP-specific metric that gives credit to a guy who misses a shot only because he was fouled - formula is: Points scored / ( 2* (FGA + 0.475*FTA) )
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Agreed.
Yep
But Miller did bring up the need to be more physical at this media event today. He is talking about being more physical now as opposed to future roster changes.
Last game we saw Miller change out Samb for Tchikou. Samb’s minutes were lowered. Clear move to get more rebounding and physicality than what Samb has been displaying.
With Miller bringing this up today have to wonder if more changes are to come? Possibly another starting line up change?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago Quotes in this thread from Leggett, Thomas and Archie at the media avail today. I'm not going to get too worked up over coach speak, because its just that, but I also don't really love some of the excuses lately about travel, being physically drained, etc. I guess we'll see if three straight home games helps at all.

Adam,
I found it interesting Leggett said we have to focus on start of 2nd half and Miller closing out games better.
Yet, vs Richmond we spotted them a 9-0 lead and lost by 7. It was the horrible start that we struggled to recover from.

Found myself cringing with some of the Coach-speak that if Cox had said some of those things this board would have exploded. :lol:

Talking about the travel, tired, etc is old. All teams do it. But now with 3 consecutive home games we should see improvement if travel and fatigue were issues.

Miller changed lineup last game Tchikou for Samb. Clearly wants more rebounding and defense.

Could be another starting line up change is in the works as Miller wants more toughness. Better defense, more steals and more effort.

Interesting he had Leggett and Thomas at the media event.
0 x
phipsiGD'11
Art Stephenson

Unread post by phipsiGD'11 »

interesting give away with the clear rhody bag.

last time i was in the RC was March 2020. What are the restrictions on bags going in? asking for the wife...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Earlier this season, it was clear bag, clutch size. They had a security person between parking lots(north) and the RC, warning people. However, in typical Rhody style, the “clutch” was interpreted differently at the gate. Have been since December.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

I think when coaches are having few answers (Archie) they can’t obviously say, “we suck”. So they go to coach speak babble.
2 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

True, but you can read between the lines as well.
He said “in Coach speak if you like” that he wants:
More physical play
Better rebounding
Better defense
More effort

So it will be interesting to see what changes come forward as soon as Saturday. He has used 9 different starting lineups to date is what was said on the Richmond game broadcast. More to come?
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I like the quotes from Arch

I think he likes the effort the players are giving but he knows he needs better players here to win in the future
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

But Reef, he is definitely acknowledging that this current group has to rebound better, give more effort. He is not settling with a wait til next year view. He’s not beyond changing up starters or redistributing playing time minutes. Good to hear.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago Earlier this season, it was clear bag, clutch size. They had a security person between parking lots(north) and the RC, warning people. However, in typical Rhody style, the “clutch” was interpreted differently at the gate. Have been since December.
This is the standard at a bunch of different Texas stadiums, so it might just be a matter of URI / Rhode Island catching up with others.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Adam,
I found it interesting Leggett said we have to focus on start of 2nd half and Miller closing out games better.
Yet, vs Richmond we spotted them a 9-0 lead and lost by 7. It was the horrible start that we struggled to recover from.

Found myself cringing with some of the Coach-speak that if Cox had said some of those things this board would have exploded. :lol:

Talking about the travel, tired, etc is old. All teams do it. But now with 3 consecutive home games we should see improvement if travel and fatigue were issues.

Miller changed lineup last game Tchikou for Samb. Clearly wants more rebounding and defense.

Could be another starting line up change is in the works as Miller wants more toughness. Better defense, more steals and more effort.

Yeah, I had the same thought wondering what it would be like if Cox or Baron had said the same thing. The one big difference being that Archie is still in his first year and likely realizes the roster just isn't talented enough, but is still trying to protect his players which I can appreciate. If he is still saying stuff like that in 3-4 years its probably a different story.

As far as the lineup goes, I agree he has shown he isn't afraid to shake things up, but I'm just not sure what other changes could be made at this point to give us more rebounding, defense and toughness.
2 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

[quote=ramster post_id=543667 time=1674163653 user_id=144.
More physical play
Better rebounding
Better defense
More effort

So it will be interesting to see what changes come forward as soon as Saturday. He has used 9 different starting lineups to date is what was said on the Richmond game broadcast. More to come?
[/quote]

Could we add to that shopping list better shouting?, Correction, shooting! Opps
Last edited by section(105) 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago [quote=ramster post_id=543667 time=1674163653 user_id=144.
More physical play
Better rebounding
Better defense
More effort

Could we add to that shopping list better shouting?
[/quote]

I shout very loudly at games :lol:. Maybe not as loud as Blue Man, but still loud. :lol:
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Adam,

I think why some of us don’t cringe at the coach speak compared to DC is because Archie is more credible due to his past success. Whereas, DC had no track record of success as a first time HC and therefore, less credibility.

Anyway, that’s why I don’t cringe.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

And pretty much every coach in America is talking about the grind of conference season, guys being tired etc. It’s called Coach speak for a reason but that doesn’t make it any less true.
3 x
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

I don’t think a win at home against George Mason is going to move the needle for the students. We have a terrible record, George Mason isn’t a good team and Dayton isn’t anything to get that excited about this year. Better shot that kids show up for Greek week pairings on Saturday and than leave once they are announced
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

I don’t think a win at home against George Mason is going to move the needle for the students. We have a terrible record, George Mason isn’t a good team and Dayton isn’t anything to get that excited about this year. Better shot that kids show up for Greek week pairings on Saturday and than leave once they are announced
Okay eeyore
1 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

RamStock wrote: 1 year ago

sadly I agree. :/
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Kind of off topic, but I went to the Bryant game today. They are pretty fun to watch. Earl Timberlake is a beast.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago And pretty much every coach in America is talking about the grind of conference season, guys being tired etc. It’s called Coach speak for a reason but that doesn’t make it any less true.
I've typed up some variation of this post like half a dozen times, but then didn't go through with it, haha. But I agree with you completely. I think if you hooked Archie up to a lie detector, the #1 reason he would give for the team's record is "lack of talent" or "lack of skill." For obvious reasons, this isn't helpful for him to focus on in public interviews.
3 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago And pretty much every coach in America is talking about the grind of conference season, guys being tired etc. It’s called Coach speak for a reason but that doesn’t make it any less true.
I've typed up some variation of this post like half a dozen times, but then didn't go through with it, haha. But I agree with you completely. I think if you hooked Archie up to a lie detector, the #1 reason he would give for the team's record is "lack of talent" or "lack of skill." For obvious reasons, this isn't helpful for him to focus on in public interviews.
Yeah, agree with you both here. He's saying what he has to say at this point basically.
2 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

adam914 wrote: 1 year ago
SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah, agree with you both here. He's saying what he has to say at this point basically.
Yeah lol, he's not gonna go up to the mic and say "Yeah, season's over. We lack the talent and skill to win. Bye!"
1 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

ramster wrote: 1 year ago True, but you can read between the lines as well.
More physical play
Better rebounding
Better defense
More effort

Thinking he could start Weston and Malik, Carey to not start. Carey is "not tough", almost never fights for offensive rebounds

Samb is Samb, he had a year last year to build himself up and still listed as 210. Was 205 in high school where he played at the lowest level (size of schools) in Baltimore without a lot of big bodies.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Sometimes zones are effective for short spurts. Maybe even having alternating zone options could help also.

Is Archie just dead set against playing a zone EVER?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Why are people saying that the students are back? Classes start Monday. How many students are rushing to be back on campus on a Saturday morning to watch this game?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Why are people saying that the students are back? Classes start Monday. How many students are rushing to be back on campus on a Saturday morning to watch this game?
I always went back the second the dorms opened.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago Why are people saying that the students are back? Classes start Monday. How many students are rushing to be back on campus on a Saturday morning to watch this game?
Yeah, to party.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago
Yeah, to party.
Even when school was in session before Christmas break student attendance was weak. Nothing has changed, in fact, our record has worsened.
2 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

The ship has sailed on this season
They are who they are. They try hard but just dont have enough talent yet. I think Archie knows by now what he needs going forward. I'm in wait and see mode. I'm more interested in what happens with recruiting than stressing over losses right now.
5 x