'20 PG Chris Robinson (Dodge City CC ---> ???)

Talk about future recruits and scouting efforts in this forum.
Forum rules
If you start a recruit thread and don't set up a profile, make a blank post first so a profile can be added later.

Place whatever you were going to post in the second post.
Dino611
Tom Garrick

'20 PG Chris Robinson (Dodge City CC ---> ???)

Unread post by Dino611 »

Chris Robinson PG
HT: 5’11” or 6’2” (I’ve seen two different heights for him idk which is right)
Elgibility: 2 years
School: Dodge City CC

Stats: 11.4 pts/game 4.1 asts/game 40%+ from deep 60% from the line

Offers:
URI
Central Conneticut State
NC Central

We offered this kid looks solid and how ironic it happened after the disaster Yesterday

If I’m not wrong he plays on a solid JUCO team, would be a very nice backup PG and also looks like he can Fucking shoot threes consistently (thank the lord)
Last edited by Dino611 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Re: JUCO PG Chris Robinson

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Fwiw from the video, he has a nice handle and can quickly change direction with it. Has excellent range from 3 and a nice step back, too. Shoots 47% from 3? Man, it would be fun to have a player that can approach that percentage from 3.

He’s one to keep an eye on. Thanks for posting this, Dino.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Is he the author of,the mid season stats. Hard to believe he shoots almost 50% on threes with all the step back threes he seems to take off the dribble.
Dino, yes his team is currently ranked m11 th in nation with something like a 13-4 record.

How tall is he:? sure looks like a shoot first (pg?)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FTs are not listed in Mid Season Highlights

25-44 for 56.8% for FTs

21-48 for 43.8% for 3Ps
194649BA-38CE-4A1B-86FF-1634060B0DBC.png
https://www.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2022- ... iew=lineup

Verbal commits…..
1/19/2023 - JUCO PG Chris Robinson (5-11, 165, 2★) has received an offer from Rhode Island.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I am not super excited and have mixed feelings about this offer.

He wasn't very highly recruited out of Putnam.
Started at Hutchinson CC and averaged about 8 pts, 6th man.
Then committed to Eastern Illinois but ended up at Dodge City CC.
Listed at 6'2" on their roster, but recruiting page and Hutchinson had him at 5'11'.
Must have grown a lot or height is wrong.
Not ranked among the top 100 or honorable mention Juco players.

At this point we need difference makers and impact players.
There may be better options in the portal and players that have at least contributed at Div. 1 level.

I however do like the Juco bigs we offered, so not altogether against going that route.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

He would seem to be at worse a pretty big improvement from our current backup PG
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago He would seem to be at worse a pretty big improvement from our current backup PG
Not so sure about that.
At least Bassy has played on a much bigger stage.
Also have Cam and Dubs coming in.

If we bring in a player with only 2 years eligibility left, I think we may be able to do better.
2 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Trust Archie.

Let him pick the groceries.
3 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

McRam wrote: 1 year ago Is he the author of,the mid season stats. Hard to believe he shoots almost 50% on threes with all the step back threes he seems to take off the dribble.
Dino, yes his team is currently ranked m11 th in nation with something like a 13-4 record.

How tall is he:? sure looks like a shoot first (pg?)
McRam, it’s a compelling video but I wouldn’t take too much from it either way.

Now, the fact that we have an interest (given all our current talent short comings) and have offered him does lend some credibility to the video, however.

He is one to keep an eye on to see if the staff follows through or ends up backing off. But, what is interesting to me from this offer is what does this tell me about how the staff thinks of our current backcourt? So, I am interested in watching how this goes over the next several months.

Good stuff.
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

I bet one could make a much better highlight video of Bray and maybe a decent one from Bassy. And at 5'11, a shoot first guard, not much excitement from me.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago Trust Archie.

Let him pick the groceries.
Yes of course we trust Archie and the staff.

As we know all offers are set in stone.
I just have a feeling the staff will find better pieces and back off.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

More than the player, I am even more curious about what this offer says. So, I will pose some questions off the top of my head that I have no answers for…

What does this offer say about the potential returning backcourt?

What does this offer say about Cam, if anything? Does the staff not think he can come and play right away?

Does the staff know of coming backcourt player departures already?

Is this offer insurance in case of backcourt departures?

Do they see this player as simply someone who can help a team weakness (3 point shooting)?

Happy to see activity on this side of the board as I enjoy reading about and discussing the what if’s.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Is Robinson and Bassy both having 2 years of eligibility remaining a coincidence?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

JD, assuming Ish and Freeman come back, I'd say we still need more guards past them on the roster - a proper back-up PG, and either a combo guard to back-up both spots or a back-up 2. (You can probably get away with just three capable guards splitting 80 minutes between the 1 and 2, but you want some more depth in case of fouls, injuries, fatigue.)

Assuming we retain Thomas and land Estevez, I still think we need one more option at the guard spot. I mean, we're kind of seeing this year that it's not great to be thin there, since our depth chart is something like Leggett, Freeman, Thomas, then Carey or Martin out of position. (Hutchinson and Weston are listed as guards in some spots, but both seem to be 3s from actually looking at their play and performace.) Maybe Harris comes to URI at some point and he's in the rotation - that was probably the plan coming into this year - or maybe they recruit someone like Robinson or a transfer to soak up some minutes.
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago Is Robinson and Bassy both having 2 years of eligibility remaining a coincidence?
Coaches often like to balance classes, but we're so starved for talent up and down the roster right now that I doubt Archie is choosy at this point. Like yeah, maybe we don't want a roster full of graduate transfers, but short of that, I'd think we would take skill whether they're jucos, transfers, HS recruits, emigrating from Stankonia, anything.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago JD, assuming Ish and Freeman come back, I'd say we still need more guards past them on the roster - a proper back-up PG, and either a combo guard to back-up both spots or a back-up 2. (You can probably get away with just three capable guards splitting 80 minutes between the 1 and 2, but you want some more depth in case of fouls, injuries, fatigue.)

Assuming we retain Thomas and land Estevez, I still think we need one more option at the guard spot. I mean, we're kind of seeing this year that it's not great to be thin there, since our depth chart is something like Leggett, Freeman, Thomas, then Carey or Martin out of position. (Hutchinson and Weston are listed as guards in some spots, but both seem to be 3s from actually looking at their play and performace.) Maybe Harris comes to URI at some point and he's in the rotation - that was probably the plan coming into this year - or maybe they recruit someone like Robinson or a transfer to soak up some minutes.
SG, Ant didn’t even cross my mind when pondering the questions. Out of sight, out of mind effect for me, it appears. Thanks for the reminder.
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

He's been 'liking' a lot of Rhody-related tweets lately. Sure seems like he'd come here if the staff wants him.

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

We offered him right around same time as we did Tyson Brown.
We haven't been associated with many other true PGs so I have to assume we are prioritizing this kid.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

He's definitely not 6'2

Offer list isn't amazing or anything

But I like what I see in the two highlight packages he has and his percentages are good.

I think he'd a a solid get. Maybe not the crazy difference maker we would want, but a solid player to compliment his teammates.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

When did he leave the Black Crowes?
4 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Who else is recruiting him? because if the answer is nobody, expect RamStock to rip you 6 days to Sunday on this. ramster too.

and honestly, at this point, I wouldn't blame them.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago He's definitely not 6'2

But I like what I see in the two highlight packages he has and his percentages are good.

I think he'd a a solid get. Maybe not the crazy difference maker we would want, but a solid player to compliment his teammates.
Has there ever been a recruit suggested on this board where the video highlight packages did not excite?
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Actually he was listed at 5'11"/ 165 at Hutch CC and only had very modest stats there.
His stats improved at Dodge City CC, (11 pts/ 39% 3PT, and I guess he must have really grown ( :) )
I initially wasn't a huge fan, but if this staff really wants him and feels he can immediately step in, I can warm up to him.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Actually he was listed at 5'11"/ 165 at Hutch CC and only had very modest stats there.
I initially wasn't a huge fan, but if this staff really wants him and feels he can immediately step in, I can warm up to him.
Sophomore
Juco stats

0358FAA2-211D-47F7-9034-666CEF041638.png
30A66AC2-CF86-436A-BA55-88C12F732FFD.png
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

60.2% Free throws, for a point guard? That's a weird stat that doesn't seem to fit with the others. Nearly 40% from the 3 point line but 6 of 10 from the charity stripe?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Sophomore
Juco stats

0358FAA2-211D-47F7-9034-666CEF041638.png30A66AC2-CF86-436A-BA55-88C12F732FFD.png
Yeah he did improve at Dodge City (22-23) and really grew ( ;) )
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago 60.2% Free throws, for a point guard? That's a weird stat that doesn't seem to fit with the others. Nearly 40% from the 3 point line but 6 of 10 from the charity stripe?
65-108 FTs for 60.2%

E0FAAE6D-F3A6-4374-9969-14CCD79B3099.jpeg
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Ideal backup PG, not a terrific starting PG imho, ridicule me if you must
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Ideal backup PG, not a terrific starting PG imho, ridicule me if you must
No ridicule from me.
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago JD, assuming Ish and Freeman come back, I'd say we still need more guards past them on the roster - a proper back-up PG, and either a combo guard to back-up both spots or a back-up 2. (You can probably get away with just three capable guards splitting 80 minutes between the 1 and 2, but you want some more depth in case of fouls, injuries, fatigue.)

Of all the guys I mentioned in this post, Estevez is the only one that'll be on next year's team (we think), barring a shocking return or debut on Rhody from Leggett or Harris or Carey. What a difference two months makes.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Harris?

:)
0 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

hrstrat57 wrote: 1 year ago Harris?

:)
Harris sighting? Who wudda thunk it. Fire 🔥 up the Harris thread NYG208!
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago Ideal backup PG, not a terrific starting PG imho, ridicule me if you must
I won’t ridicule you but I don’t know how people make such definitive statements about players (good or bad) that they have never seen play a minute of basketball.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
I won’t ridicule you but I don’t know how people make such definitive statements about players (good or bad) that they have never seen play a minute of basketball.
Just my two thoughts after watching the videos on him, seeing his stats and he isn’t ranked for JUCOs, but I said if I’m proven wrong shame on me
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago
Just my two thoughts after watching the videos on him, seeing his stats and he isn’t ranked for JUCOs, but I said if I’m proven wrong shame on me
Sorry, you don't get shame, you get laughed at.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
Dino611 wrote: 1 year ago

Sorry, you don't get shame, you get laughed at.
Rent free you self entitled clown
1 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

For what it's worth, Robinson is N/A on the JuCo Top 100 list, which includes about 120 players with honorable mentions.

Tyson Brown is #24

https://www.jucorecruiting.com/2023-juco-top-100
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Looks like a solid point guard to me. A step up from Bassy. Tough, athletic. Looks to have a decent shot. I think and hope Cam is our starting point near the end of the year so I get why Archie wants a kid like this while Cam develops.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Looks like a solid point guard to me. A step up from Bassy. Tough, athletic. Looks to have a decent shot. I think and hope Cam is our starting point near the end of the year so I get why Archie wants a kid like this while Cam develops.
Something else I would add. I liked Always Wright's game more.. Idk how involved we are with him. But he looked to be more gifted on the offensive end. I trust the coaching staff, though!
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

No ridicule from me.
I can't get excited about backups...until after I've been excited about starters.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
No ridicule from me.
I can't get excited about backups...until after I've been excited about starters.
Same with me
I want to see starters
I want to see guys who I can say could be starters on VCU, St Louis, Dayton or Fordham - the top 4 A10 seeds and the 4 Teams in the A10 SemiFinals

I watched all A10 games, from great, up close seats in Brooklyn and imho we had nobody on URI who could start for any of those 4 teams with the possible exception of Leggett in the backcourt.

All 4 teams had 1 or 2 solid big men starters:
  • Dayton - Holmes 6'10" and Camara 6'8" were very strong
  • St Louis - Okoro 6'9" was a beast with Forrester 6'9" off bench
  • Fordham - Moore 6'7" and Novitski 6'10" plus Tsimbala 6'9" off bench
  • VCU - Johns 6'8" and DeLoach 6'9" plus Watkins 6'7" off bench were very strong
We had no big men equivalent to the big men of these Tier 1 A10 teams

Starter quality is URI and Archie's biggest need. We need 5 starters.
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Seems like he definitely would love to come here, and I’d definitely welcome him with Those shooting #s and I’ll update the top posts with offers / interests / stats
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Re: '20 PG Chris Robinson (Dodge City CC ---> ???)

The overall profile is somewhat "meh" to me. The 3-point shooting is good, but he committed to Eastern Illinois in 2021 then seemingly left after 11 games and posting a dismal stat line in a lower conference than ours. He shot 20 percent in a small sample size on 3s there, and 11 percent in his four game AAU sample. I'm not sure if he's now a better shooter, or if he simply had better luck this year. He's definitely 5'11" if that, not 6'2", so I kind of wonder about his ability to get as clean of looks at the A-10 level. URI is the best school among his offers by far. I kind of think he's a fallback option for us.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I'm not really impressed. His teammate in the backcourt was much better.

I would think this would be a fall back option, in case other prospects fall through.

links:

https://goconqs.com/news/2023/3/25/mens ... wards.aspx

https://goconqs.com/sports/mens-basketb ... wards/5670
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I mean, Dayton just got filet mignon for their transfer PG. We're going to go to war with them with warmed over mashed potatoes?

I'd rather go after PC's backup point guard who entered the portal.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago The overall profile is somewhat "meh" to me. The 3-point shooting is good, but he committed to Eastern Illinois in 2021 then seemingly left after 11 games and posting a dismal stat line in a lower conference than ours. He shot 20 percent in a small sample size on 3s there, and 11 percent in his four game AAU sample. I'm not sure if he's now a better shooter, or if he simply had better luck this year. He's definitely 5'11" if that, not 6'2", so I kind of wonder about his ability to get as clean of looks at the A-10 level. URI is the best school among his offers by far. I kind of think he's a fallback option for us.
I generally agree with this but it's impossible to know what Archie is plotting. For example he could merely see this kid as a backup PG, in that case he would very likely be an upgrade from our last backup PG. OR maybe Archie thinks he is going to get scoring from 2,3,4 position and he is looking for a higher end game manager, facilitator, defender at the PG. Things that maybe don't jump off the stats page or highlight vides. I think it's impossible to judge the quality of this haul until it's fully assembled. Fit is so impt, complimentary pieces that can be put together is critical. As a single player he doesn't jump off the page but just don't know what Archie is plotting.
3 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

Archie just lost a recruiting battle with Dayton for Cheeks. I mean, let's just call it like it is. I don't know if we were late getting in on that one or what, but clearly URI was trying to move on Cheeks the week before he committed.

My point is, just because you fight the good fight, and fail, doesn't mean you shouldn't aim that high again on your next attempt.

Someone posted that twitter video of Archie from 2022 in NCAA or Bust. And I remember reading a lot of comments from the Indiana fans right around the time before and after Archie came here. The worry was, some people thought Archie thought his offense and defense schemes were so good that he could beat you with inferior talent. I give him a mulligan for last year, because we needed bodies. I don't think he gets one this time around if he is signing players who are so obscure that no one else is interested in them. We need the slam dunk, sure thing recruits. I consider Brown to be one of those. I am very interested in who his second commit is going to be. He needs to take his time and not rush this, just because the fans want a new signing everyday because they get bored on the off season.
1 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

some of these fans did a break down of Archie's players at Indiana and the players for the other teams in the Big Ten, and showed you step by step, the way you would compare rosters of URI vs VCU, Dayton, St. Louis, etc, how his players at Indiana were some of the lowest rated in the Conference and how you could possibly expect to beat the better teams that way?

We heard this, and thought, well, that's not going to matter, because this is the A-10, not the Big Ten, he's gonna get the talent, don't worry. He's been here before.

Well, the jury is still out on that one. I'm rooting for him, but he's under more scrutiny in year 2, than he was in year 1. I wouldn't make this move with Robinson, that's just my opinion. I would make sure every single player you get through free agency is expected to be a high impact player. As ramster said, we need starters, not role players. He's got enough developmental people on the roster already, if that's what he and his assistants like to do.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I mean, Dayton just got filet mignon for their transfer PG. We're going to go to war with them with warmed over mashed potatoes?

I'd rather go after PC's backup point guard who entered the portal.
Cheeks is more of a combo guard than a straight up PG.
1 x