How do you follow Rhody hoop games?

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.

If you aren't at the game (home or away) how do you most often experience Rhody games?

I listen to the Varsity App
9%
I stream it (ESPN+, etc)
79%
I watch it on Yurview
4%
Neither, I follow the stats online
9%

Total votes: 57

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

How do you follow Rhody hoop games?

Unread post by bigappleram »

Curious how the KB community engages with games if they aren't there in person.
1 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Re: How do you follow Rhody hoop games?

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I subscribe to ESPN+ but prefer to watch games on YURVIEW(Cox) when available and I'm in RI because I can more easily channel surf.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

As much as people complain about the announcers on ESPN+ I just can't get over the constant stopping, replaying, and skipping around from the Varsity App. I'll take video and bad announcers vs relying on a terrible radio feed any day of the week
3 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PARam
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by PARam »

I watch ESPN+
0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

I really think the Varsity Ap was a step down from radio broadcasts. I like to listen to the post game show, and usually put it on the radio in the car after leaving the game. Now I have to launch the ap and listen on my phone while driving home.

I know, I know, its not difficult to do so, but it was nicer to have it broadcast in the car on the radio.

Also while I am complaining, can we get a mic in the media room that actually picks up the questions???
2 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Yurview when it on, and if not then ESPN+. In that car its Varsity.
0 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

ESPN+

Excited to hear the UMass crew tomorrow....
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Being a visual guy, I need the pictures. However, from here out it is sound off with out of sync Varsity app. Post game in car works for me, when at the RC.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Out of staters pretty much have to get espn + if they want to watch the games , 9.99 per month is a pretty good value considering all the content they put out
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

As much of a URI basketball fanatic as I am, football is still number 1 for me. So, tomorrow, I'll be watching a wild card NFL game while following the URI game through Live Stats.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I go to all the home games. For the away games, in a good year, I'd suck it up and pay the $10 to watch on ESPN, but I don't see the value this year, so not doing it. Varsity app isn't that bad...just like any other radio
0 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ESPN+ here, I use my brother's login (it's included with his Hulu package I think). But I would pay for it (did last year) if I had to. I like being able to have the URI game on my TV and also have another game of some sort on my laptop at the same time (YouTube TV).
0 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

It’s almost as if our A team of broadcast talent (Disano, Steve, Stone) should be on our streaming/TV product. Just a thought.
5 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It’s almost as if our A team of broadcast talent (Disano, Steve, Stone) should be on our streaming/TV product. Just a thought.
Maybe Varsity pays more? Don't know but agree with you.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago It’s almost as if our A team of broadcast talent (Disano, Steve, Stone) should be on our streaming/TV product. Just a thought.
Maybe Varsity pays more? Don't know but agree with you.
Agree blue, that would seem to be the only logical conclusion.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Agree it’s kind of embarrassing to have the student announcers on espn plus broadcasts , I think we are the only ones others have more seasoned announcers

I am a fan of Paige Messier though !!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Agree it’s kind of embarrassing to have the student announcers on espn plus broadcasts , I think we are the only ones others have more seasoned announcers

Really? Paige was the color person with Stone Freeman last season. She got criticized repeatedly on this board last season. She has moved up to Sideline reporter for MBB and Paige also now has an internship with WPRI. Ive been impressed by her color role last year and impressed with her handing the sideline duties this season. She does quick interviews with the assistant coaches at halftime. She graduated East Providence High School 2020
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago
reef wrote: 1 year ago Agree it’s kind of embarrassing to have the student announcers on espn plus broadcasts , I think we are the only ones others have more seasoned announcers

Really? Paige was the color person with Stone Freeman last season. She got criticized repeatedly on this board last season. She has moved up to Sideline reporter for MBB and Paige also now has an internship with WPRI. Ive been impressed by her color role last year and impressed with her handing the sideline duties this season. She does quick interviews with the assistant coaches at halftime.
I think she has grown a lot into the role. I see her moving about the building with mic in hand. Maybe the sideline presence is her spot?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

I’m hoping to avoid using the varsity app all year. I enjoy ESPN stream even if announcing is pretty bad.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

I've made all the home games except Army. I have ESPN+ for away games, and turn the volume off.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Season ticket holder. Varsity ap for post game actually works well through blue tooth in car. Stream with Hulu live so ESPN plus included for away games
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Really? Paige was the color person with Stone Freeman last season. She got criticized repeatedly on this board last season. She has moved up to Sideline reporter for MBB and Paige also now has an internship with WPRI. Ive been impressed by her color role last year and impressed with her handing the sideline duties this season. She does quick interviews with the assistant coaches at halftime. She graduated East Providence High School 2020
Your right , I like her in the sideline role I forgot she was an analyst last year
0 x
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

STH with wife. ESPN+ for road games. Not a Varsity App fan but I have to give them credit because I can now hear the postgame interviews and questions after the game while walking to my car. They are getting better as it goes along. In the words of our leader, Archie Miller, Varsity App will be good when it is good.
0 x
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

I already subscribed to Hulu and Disney plus so turning that into a bundle with espn+ was a no brainer money saver. Not sure if I would subscribe otherwise though
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

A long, long time ago, mental hospital games were simulcast on Channel 12 and WPRO. Why can't we do that now?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 1 year ago
A long, long time ago, mental hospital games were simulcast on Channel 12 and WPRO. Why can't we do that now?
Where is Cris Clark when we need him……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago ESPN+

The infamous Frank Sullivan who coached losing teams at Harvard for ~20 years doing color on NESN+.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago

The infamous Frank Sullivan who coached losing teams at Harvard for ~20 years doing color on NESN+.
Nice work if ya can get it, he must inhale and exhale……
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

Varsity App crapped out on post game show.
2 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

damram wrote: 1 year ago Varsity App crapped out on post game show.
Someone at Mullins pulled the plug. Not the fault of URI or Varsity.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago

Nice work if ya can get it, he must inhale and exhale……
This made me LOL
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago
Someone at Mullins pulled the plug. Not the fault of URI or Varsity.
They mustn't be allowed to get away with this...

0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Billyboy78 wrote: 1 year ago As much of a URI basketball fanatic as I am, football is still number 1 for me. So, tomorrow, I'll be watching a wild card NFL game while following the URI game through Live Stats.

Billyboy, WHAT?? Would a PC fan do that?
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I thought he was actually decent the color analyst, the play by play guy wasn’t good he thought Weston was Bassy and he screwed up his Ts !!
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I thought he was actually decent the color analyst, the play by play guy wasn’t good he thought Weston was Bassy and he screwed up his Ts !!
I thought he (Frank Sullivan) did a good job too. I just hadn't seen or heard about Frank in years. There are not many people his age who are still working and have such a clear mind..

(There was also a different Frank Sullivan who pitched for the Red Sox before being traded for two sport player Gene Conley. When GM Frank Lane was asked who got the better of the trade he quipped "Red Sox by half an inch".)
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

I thought he (Frank Sullivan) did a good job too. I just hadn't seen or heard about Frank in years. There are not many people his age who are still working and have such a clear mind..

(There was also a different Frank Sullivan who pitched for the Red Sox before being traded for two sport player Gene Conley. When GM Frank Lane was asked who got the better of the trade he quipped "Red Sox by half an inch".)
Gene Conley was the only player to win BOTH a World Series and a NBA Championship

“He’s the most incredible athlete in the country,” Auerbach said of Mr. Conley in 1961. “He’s the only one who spends the entire year competing under the heaviest of pressure in two major sports. The average athlete would crack under that strain in a hurry. He thrives on it.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... story.html
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

It'll be news when it doesn't crap out in some way or another. Absolute garbage app
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I really think the Varsity Ap was a step down from radio broadcasts. I like to listen to the post game show, and usually put it on the radio in the car after leaving the game. Now I have to launch the ap and listen on my phone while driving home.

I know, I know, its not difficult to do so, but it was nicer to have it broadcast in the car on the radio.

Also while I am complaining, can we get a mic in the media room that actually picks up the questions???
I actually disagree. Because the app rarely works for me so I have to go to the gorhody site and then the website for the radio.

The service sucks by the Ryan Center (plus we're getting kids into the car at 9pm), so I usually don't actually get to listen until we're off campus on old north road. Then I miss any meaningful commentary and I'm just pissed off.

This is another in a long line of gameday/production shortcomings that are unfortunately commonplace for us. Nowhere else it seems, just us.

How many other basketball programs in the country our of 351 - potentially even out of D2 - don't have a terrestrial radio option? It has to be less than 5.

It's dumb. The roll out was dumb. Just "surprise, hope you can stream" at the start of the year. No marketing, no "get ready for it," and I'd have to imagine the numbers have dwindled spectacularly.

Just like anything else in tech - the idea that "the future is now" is way overstated and acts as if everyone over 55 is going to die tomorrow and then everyone will adapt to streaming.

Newsflash - most of our loyal fans are old. They don't stream. They don't do apps. I'd be willing to be consumption of URI basketball games by radio has dropped by 30% at a MINIMUM.

I get that it's "only a couple of clicks" but while you're driving and trying to get out of the parking lot it's really not that simple. You know what's simple? Turning on your car and hitting the pre-set radio button that doesn't require 5G or cell service or buffering.

I hate it. It's dumb.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago I really think the Varsity Ap was a step down from radio broadcasts. I like to listen to the post game show, and usually put it on the radio in the car after leaving the game. Now I have to launch the ap and listen on my phone while driving home.

I actually disagree. Because the app rarely works for me so I have to go to the gorhody site and then the website for the radio.

The service sucks by the Ryan Center (plus we're getting kids into the car at 9pm), so I usually don't actually get to listen until we're off campus on old north road. Then I miss any meaningful commentary and I'm just pissed off.

This is another in a long line of gameday/production shortcomings that are unfortunately commonplace for us. Nowhere else it seems, just us.

How many other basketball programs in the country our of 351 - potentially even out of D2 - don't have a terrestrial radio option? It has to be less than 5.

It's dumb. The roll out was dumb. Just "surprise, hope you can stream" at the start of the year. No marketing, no "get ready for it," and I'd have to imagine the numbers have dwindled spectacularly.

Just like anything else in tech - the idea that "the future is now" is way overstated and acts as if everyone over 55 is going to die tomorrow and then everyone will adapt to streaming.

Newsflash - most of our loyal fans are old. They don't stream. They don't do apps. I'd be willing to be consumption of URI basketball games by radio has dropped by 30% at a MINIMUM.

I get that it's "only a couple of clicks" but while you're driving and trying to get out of the parking lot it's really not that simple. You know what's simple? Turning on your car and hitting the pre-set radio button that doesn't require 5G or cell service or buffering.

I hate it. It's dumb.
It sounds like you are agreeing with LoveThoseRams, not disagreeing. You both don’t like the Varsityapp and both prefer the radio.
1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Even without a poll it’s obvious (and clear)

-the video/streaming audience is bigger than the audio/app audience

-the video audience is younger; audio audience older

This would lead you to two logical conclusions:

1.) Put our best broadcast team on video bc that’s the biggest audience/growth opportunity

2.) Put our audio product on terrestrial radio bc it’s an older demo

We are doing the exact opposite of this.
5 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

I hate it. It's dumb.
It sounds like you are agreeing with LoveThoseRams, not disagreeing. You both don’t like the Varsityapp and both prefer the radio.
I'm definitely agreeing with the overall sentiment, I'm disagreeing with the "I know it's not difficult part" that's where I disagree. Sure it's really minor in the grand scheme of things...but it's significantly more annoying in this day and age if I have to make multiple clicks and selections on a phone while I'm driving. It's much easier to turn on the radio.

And that's me speaking as a "tech savvy" 30 something year old. Not the majority of our fanbase over 50 who didn't grow up in the streaming era.

I'd love for them to publish the numbers and see exactly how poorly this product is consumed now versus terrestrial radio. I know die hard URI fans that are older who've pretty much given up even attempting to try and watch or listen since they feel there's no option for them.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

I hate it. It's dumb.
I completely agree with all of this. The only thing I'd add is that by going to streaming only with no radio you have no hope of capturing someone flipping through. The only people you're getting with our product are people actively working to get it and even then it's hit or miss whether they can access the content or not. This was a spectacularly bad idea
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Agree with all of the above, and once again it is like URI is doing the opposite of what fans want/what makes the most sense. Blows my mind.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Now that it is streaming radio only, they know exactly what their listenership is. It must be dreadful.

Chris DiSano joins the radio broadcast at the same time it has the absolute lowest audience. He and Steve are wasting their time and should switch to the video stream next season. This is ridiculous to be doing it this way.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Now that it is streaming radio only, they know exactly what their listenership is. It must be dreadful.

Chris DiSano joins the radio broadcast at the same time it has the absolute lowest audience. He and Steve are wasting their time and should switch to the video stream next season. This is ridiculous to be doing it this way.
Again, why can't they just do a simulcast?
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

ATPTourFan wrote: 1 year ago Now that it is streaming radio only, they know exactly what their listenership is. It must be dreadful.

Makes too much sense.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Agreed just simulcast it. And think when we play at St Joe’s they will have Joe Lunardi on the streaming call and we will have….Smdh
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I hate it. It's dumb.
I'm definitely agreeing with the overall sentiment, I'm disagreeing with the "I know it's not difficult part" that's where I disagree. Sure it's really minor in the grand scheme of things...but it's significantly more annoying in this day and age if I have to make multiple clicks and selections on a phone while I'm driving. It's much easier to turn on the radio.

And that's me speaking as a "tech savvy" 30 something year old. Not the majority of our fanbase over 50 who didn't grow up in the streaming era.

I'd love for them to publish the numbers and see exactly how poorly this product is consumed now versus terrestrial radio. I know die hard URI fans that are older who've pretty much given up even attempting to try and watch or listen since they feel there's no option for them.
It's not that difficult. I'm one of the over 55s and, when by myself, I've had it on my phone before I got to my car and on in my car seconds after I got there. If they were at all interesting, I'd probably do it after every game, but, well, "we all see it." Anyway, with kids, that wouldn't happen...it just wouldn't. You need a few seconds of uninterrupted clicking and looking at a phone screen that you really can't get when you're trying to move kids to a car and beyond... Maybe the decrease in audience could be due to all them young parents out there? :lol:
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I go to all home games. Then rewatch the games on ESPN+ at my leisure or on FloSports (Grand Cayman Tournament) or on CBSSN.
It’s great to not even have to set games to record. All saved in these apps for replay. Genius.
I can watch some URI baseball games, some URI Softball games and some soccer games on ESPN+.
URI womens basketball games are broadcast on ESPN+ as well which is awesome.

I have ESPN+ all year long and FloSports all year long.
Love FloSports for URI Football. I can watch replays after having gone to the game. I can also watch all CAA Football Conference games.

Only complaint on basketball games is too much detail like it’s a radio broadcast. I don’t need to hear “Leggett passes to top of the key to Martin” - I can see that on the screen. Best TV announcers don’t micro announce the game - only if it’s on radio.
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m surprised even 4 responses were people who listen to the MBB games on radio. 40 use ESPN+ which is definitely the way to go.

My guess is those 4 might soon switch to ESPN+ when they see how the vast majority stream. ESPN+ is far superior to radio.

Love that I can watch an away game on my phone in an airport, at a restaurant/bar, hotel, etc. Its great. Wish we had this technology for past 30 years. Love that I can watch or rewatch every single game.

I’m most interested in the video and most often turn the sound off. After all there is no play by play at the Ryan Center or in visitor arenas. I don’t miss the play by play at all regardless of who’s doing it.

I don’t listen to post game shows. Prefer to stay at the Ryan center after the game and let traffic clear. Too many commercials on the post game show when I have caught it.

A7D9DD2A-E1AE-4133-BDF7-F753563F8FD4.jpeg
0 x