1/14 | UMass | 4:30PM (NESN+/ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

1/14 | UMass | 4:30PM (NESN+/ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs University of Massachusetts
William D. Mullins Memorial Center, Amherst, MA
Saturday, January 14, 2023
4:30PM

Media
TV: NESN+
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews
UMass Fan Forum

The state school of Rhode Island heads to Amherst to take on the state school of neighboring Massachusetts. Rhody hung on by the skin of their teeth in their last game by overcoming an 11-0 run in the final minutes of Wednesday’s game against The Bonnies. Thankfully Ish come up with some huge free throws to give the Rams a 1-point victory. The Minutemen (insert sexual inadequacy joke here) cum in with a 10-6 record on the season and are just 1-3 in the conference. They have a couple nice wins against Colorado at a neutral site and home against Saint Louis. Like Rhody, UMass played UMass Lowell, but they lost to them.

Following the firing of Matt McCall, the Minutemen hired former South Carolina coach Frank Martin. Martin is familiar with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts as he started his collegiate coaching career as an assistant coach at Northeastern. Speaking of a familiarity with Massachusetts, on Martin’s staff is Derek Kellogg who is both a former player (1991-95) as well as former coach at UMass (2000-08). On the court, the Minutemen are lead Noah Fernandes. Fernandes missed most of December with an ankle injury. He is leading the team in both scoring and assists (13.4/4.1). He is a solid three-point shooter but somehow atrocious from the line (64%). The only other double-digit scorer is forward Matt Cross, who is playing for his 3rd school in 3 years (Miami & Louisville). UMass has some height downlow with Isaac Kante and center Wildens Leveque. Leveque, who followed Coach Martin from South Carolina to Massachusetts, is coming off an injury to his knees where he missed a few games. UMass also sports 2 players from RI in TJ Weeks Jr & Dyondre Dominguez.

Like I mentioned in the last write-up, Rhody always seem to have one player with an off-shooting night & last game was Bray. After “calling out” (in the weakest terms possible) Ish, he had a monster game going for 23 & 14. After never having double-digit rebounds in a game before this season, he picked up his 3rd while doing it in back-to-back games. With ice in his veins, he also nailed the game winning free throws. If Rhody hopes to pick up their first true road win of the season, they are going to need more of that.

Rhody did pull out the victory the last time they played out in the sticks of Amherst. Over the last 8 games at UMass, Rhody has won 5 of them. I am going to say it again, if you want free money, might I suggest looking at the race to 10 points in the first half. Rhody has won the race to 10 in 8 of the last 10 games. I am guessing UMass will be favored by about 5 or 6 points. Can Rhody pull off the upset? If it comes down to free-throws Rhody has a clear advantage. I certainly hope URI can pull out the victory, but I think they fall up short. My prediction is UMass 71 – URI 68. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
10-6, 1-3 in the A10
15-17, 7-11 in the A10 (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 153 (235)
RPI: 109 (209)
KenPom: 151 (205)
BPI: 148 (231)
Sagarin: 147 (193)
Barttovik: 167 (202)

Leaders:
Points – Noah Fernandes 13.4 (Sr., G)
Rebounds – Matt Cross 6.3 (Jr., F)
Assists – Noah Fernandes 4.1 (Sr., G) (2.2 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 68-92
H: 41-33, A: 27-54, N: 0-5
Most Recent Matchup: 2/5/22 78-67 L at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 1 – UMass
Match-up Predictor: 20.9% Chance of URI Winning
5 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
reef
Frank Keaney

Re: 1/14 | UMass | 4:30PM (NESN+/ESPN+)

Unread post by reef »

Can’t wait for this tilt I can see it coming down to the last 2 minutes
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

BIG game! We can push them down close to the bottom of the conference standings by stealing a win. Heck, LaSalle beat them on the road last night; why not us too?

My head says we are not quite there yet as a team to win a road game up there, but wow, would I enjoy it if we did. It would be a bright spot in a dim season to smack UMess upside the head and give them two straight home conf losses.

That’s what rivals are for.

I suspect FM will go after us down low, try to beat us up and get us in foul trouble.

Did big T tweak his ankle last game? If he did, hope he can play.

Another excellent write up and analysis, Spooky. Much appreciated.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago BIG game! We can push them down close to the bottom of the conference standing by stealing a win. Heck, LaSalle beat them on the road last night; why not us too?

My head says we are not quite there yet as a team to win a road game up there, but wow, would I enjoy it if we did. It would be a bright spot in a dim season to smack UMess upside the head and give the two straight home conf losses.

That’s what rivals are for.
No idea but will guess 74-71 Mass
0 x
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

Does anyone know which section is right behind the URI bench? I might go to this one.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

nm
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I definitely give the edge to UMass, just because they currently have more talent than us.
After the loss to La Salle, I am sure Martin is not going to let this game get away from him.
We will have trouble competing with their frontcourt of Cross, DD, Kante, Leveque, and Gapare.
2 x
spookydog
Tom Garrick

Unread post by spookydog »

RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know which section is right behind the URI bench? I might go to this one.
I am pretty sure it is F. I think I sat in E at the game back in March of 2020.
0 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
RhodyRams916
Tom Garrick

Unread post by RhodyRams916 »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
RhodyRams916 wrote: 1 year ago Does anyone know which section is right behind the URI bench? I might go to this one.
Thanks!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

It feels like Fernandes and especially Weeks have been there forever now, but that's probably my sense of time being warped. Oddly enough, both are efficient offensive players who aren't really high volume scorers, with Weeks the better rebounder and Fernandes the better passer. The team make-ups are radically different, but this year's UMass team kind of reminds me of last year's URI team - fine accessory pieces, but lacking one or two top-tier All-Conference talents to actually be really good / an NCAA contender. That being said, you can say that about a lot of teams.
1 x
Obadiah
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Obadiah »

spookydog wrote: 1 year ago
The section directly behind the URI bench is F, the adjacent section is E which is further removed toward the basket.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

I get the feeling that we played 4 of the worst A10 teams to start the season, winning 2 at home and losing 2 on the road. As we play better teams, wins on the road will be difficult. Any road win will be an upset.

I'm disappointed in Alex's play. That Alex and Samb together cannot get more rebounds than Ish is incomprehensible to me. As always -> GO RHODY!!!!
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

I have feeling both will not be here next year. Or not seeing much playing time. Problem is how many times can these guys go into the portal.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I have feeling both will not be here next year. Or not seeing much playing time. Problem is how many times can these guys go into the portal.
I think that since Archie is offering JUCO bigs, he doesn't plan that both will be here either.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Team Rankings has now, their #198 Ranked, #13 A-10 Rams with 28% to beat their #144 ranked UMess…..and then there is Bassey…….sorry, I didn’t mean to derail the topic.
1 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

When I see the FT% improvement with Bassy, I think we may see a big improvement in FG% in future years. I hope he doesn't transfer and continues to improve his shooting. He has pretty good form.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

First 8 games 2-6. Last 8 games 4-4. Looks like progress to me.
2 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago First 8 games 2-6. Last 8 games 4-4. Looks like progress to me.
Indeed!

We look way better now than we did in November. We've looked as crappy as November at times, but we have more spurts of solid play.

It was really when Carey came back when things started working a lot better on offense.

Wish we had Bilau though 😕 would have eliminated those long stretches where we get absolutely nothing inside.
3 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago I have feeling both will not be here next year. Or not seeing much playing time. Problem is how many times can these guys go into the portal.
Samb still has his free transfer, but Alex would have to sit for a year.

I'm okay with Alex sticking around for his upside. I'd trade Samb for a transfer
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I'm okay with Alex sticking around for his upside. I'd trade Samb for a transfer
Samb clearly has been the better player and I don’t think it’s that close.

Spare me the analytics and whatnot, don’t see how anyone would say Tchkiou has outperformed Samb so far.
2 x
Go Rhody
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Spare me the analytics and whatnot, don’t see how anyone would say Tchkiou has outperformed Samb so far.
At this time, I would also agree about Samb over Alex.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Ah, working in the "t" word (trade) now even! Welcome to the modern age of head coach as GM...
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago When I see the FT% improvement with Bassy, I think we may see a big improvement in FG% in future years. I hope he doesn't transfer and continues to improve his shooting. He has pretty good form.
We don’t have the luxury of future years, his position/role is in need of a major upgrade for next season. He needs to think about NEC, MAAC level programs. The improvements needed from him are just not there at the level needed. No?
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Tchikou is a total non factor on offense. Very tentative. Poor hands. Not much ability to create for himself near the basket. Samb definitely has shown more potential on the offensive end. Defensively, neither one stands out. Biggest problem is neither one rebounds very well. This has been covered up by guards doing a good job on the boards. We need a banger that can grab the rebound at the end of the game to keep teams from getting 2 or 3 shots on a possession. Samb seems undersized for that role and it doesn't look like Tchikou has the frame to bulk up a lot.. Both are probably bench players on a good team. We need an upgrade next year to take the next step.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Tchilkou is like a Rob Williams on the Celtics, ---Tall, long, blocks shots, and can dunk like hell. Otherwise isn't a threat on offense. The difference is that Williams has the strength to rebound and defend the larger opponents in the paint. Tchikou needs to improve that, but his abilities are serviceable.
0 x
GO RAMS
RamStock
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RamStock »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago When I see the FT% improvement with Bassy, I think we may see a big improvement in FG% in future years. I hope he doesn't transfer and continues to improve his shooting. He has pretty good form.
If the team is ever going to get to where they want Bassy will not be a factor or won’t be on this roster. We need more players such as Leggett or guys that can shoot. Bassy is a low end D 1 player or probably a level below
2 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Tchilkou is like a Rob Williams on the Celtics, ---Tall, long, blocks shots, and can dunk like hell. Otherwise isn't a threat on offense. The difference is that Williams has the strength to rebound and defend the larger opponents in the paint. Tchikou needs to improve that, but his abilities are serviceable.
sorry to,say, T is not serviceable at this time. Aside from the aforementioned limitations he does not seem to have a low bb IQ. Does not seem to be in the right position to receive a pass when Bray penetrates and it is hard to understand how his rebounding can be so bad.

What would our team look like if we did not not have T and Antwan did not transfer. ??
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

UMass -6.5
0 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Umass is due for a bounce back game. They aren’t as bad as their record so a regression to the mean is expected.
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

Any deals on tickets?
Promo codes would be greatly appreciated
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Any deals on tickets?
They are $15 on their website.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

rhodyrudder wrote: 1 year ago Any deals on tickets?
They are $15 on their website.
But Rudder wants a deal bwahaahahha.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

Ah, working in the "t" word (trade) now even! Welcome to the modern age of head coach as GM...
Players with agents? Trading sites"
0 x
4Diffs
Lamar Odom

Unread post by 4Diffs »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Tchilkou is like a Rob Williams on the Celtics, ---Tall, long, blocks shots, and can dunk like hell. Otherwise isn't a threat on offense. The difference is that Williams has the strength to rebound and defend the larger opponents in the paint. Tchikou needs to improve that, but his abilities are serviceable.
This is utter disrespect for Rob Williams. One of the best passers on the Celtics, does not need plays run for him which is an asset in itself and one of the best lob threats in the entire league. There is more to offensive basketball than shooting 3 pointers. Not to mention one of the best defenders in the entire league. To say that Alex is close to Rob in anything, or like him is blasphemy. Alex is not very good at anything at this stage. Sorry to say that but it is what it is.
3 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 1 year ago
sorry to,say, T is not serviceable at this time. Aside from the aforementioned limitations he does not seem to have a low bb IQ. Does not seem to be in the right position to receive a pass when Bray penetrates and it is hard to understand how his rebounding can be so bad.

What would our team look like if we did not not have T and Antwan did not transfer. ??
K, I will bite. Marginally better in rear view mirror.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Last February at URI TJ Weeks JR went off for 30 points on 6-9 3Ps, 6 rebounds and 5 steals. His dad played for UMASS, Coaches at URI and TJ went to Hendricken. Will be interesting to see how Miller plans against TJ going off on URI like last February.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I think we have stumbled upon the reason why Alex didn't even get a sniff at Alabama.

Again, Tavoris Bell's "he reminds me of Andrew Wafula" comment is very telling.
0 x
ram1980
Art Stephenson

Unread post by ram1980 »

Not even close. Rob Williams is a superior athlete that does everything better than Tchikou. If Williams stays healthy he could be the key to a Celtics championship. Alex has none of Rob Williams qualities at this point. I hope he becomes half the player Rob is. Unfortunately not holding my breath.. sorry.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think we have stumbled upon the reason why Alex didn't even get a sniff at Alabama.

Well at Alabama he did have injury issues including a ruptured Achilles.
As a recruit he was ranked #36 Rivals, #56 247, #58 ESPN.
Many players just don't live up to their ratings, but maybe too early to give up on him.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago I think we have stumbled upon the reason why Alex didn't even get a sniff at Alabama.

Many players just don't live up to their ratings, but maybe too early to give up on him.
You make it sound like the ratings are right and the players at times just don’t live up to them. Maybe the ratings were wrong ftom the start?
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Yeah me either

So why are you saying that exactly?

Because I was talking about UPSIDE. Alex is an athletic 6'11 guy with raw skills. I'd rather develop him, lose Samb and gain an impact transfer big that can contribute right away.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

You make it sound like the ratings are right and the players at times just don’t live up to them. Maybe the ratings were wrong ftom the start?
Some players are rated higher than deserved, but much of the rankings are based upon which schools are recruiting them.
0 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

People shouldn’t forget that some of these kids didn’t play organized games/get structured coaching for 6-12 months due to Covid. Development was stunted. Especially impactful on big men who take longer anyway.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Some players are rated higher than deserved, but much of the rankings are based upon which schools are recruiting them.
Meaning what?
Kids are ranked as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Most rankings are before the first team has offered a scholarship.
I’ve seen some kids ranked very high, then seen them play and it doesn’t make any sense. Then I’ve seen teams, even URI offer guys I knew were way overrated - but it makes a David Cox or put in other names look good short term because he landed a 4-star. Player benefits and HC benefits especially if his job is in danger.
Rarely see the 4-star “mistakes” dropped from the resume even a year, two years or even 3 years later as the media will still keep the 4-star designation when most everyone knows it was wrong to begin with.
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

If you're 6'11" and can walk and chew gum at the same time, you'll get a 4 star ranking.
Last edited by Billyboy78 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ram1980 wrote: 1 year ago
Not even close. Rob Williams is a superior athlete that does everything better than Tchikou. If Williams stays healthy he could be the key to a Celtics championship. Alex has none of Rob Williams qualities at this point. I hope he becomes half the player Rob is. Unfortunately not holding my breath.. sorry.
Yeah I don’t get that comparison @ all
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Meaning what?
Kids are ranked as freshmen, sophomores, juniors and seniors. Most rankings are before the first team has offered a scholarship.
I’ve seen some kids ranked very high, then seen them play and it doesn’t make any sense. Then I’ve seen teams, even URI offer guys I knew were way overrated - but it makes a David Cox or put in other names look good short term because he landed a 4-star. Player benefits and HC benefits especially if his job is in danger.
Rarely see the 4-star “mistakes” dropped from the resume even a year, two years or even 3 years later as the media will still keep the 4-star designation when most everyone knows it was wrong to begin with.
Many of the top young players are followed closely by these programs very early on and the services take notice.

Elijah Wood who we recruited was originally a 4* and interest in him started to fade along with his rankings.

Ramster I am sure all these recruiting sights have many criteria they use in evaluating players.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Yeah me either

So why are you saying that exactly?

Because I was talking about UPSIDE. Alex is an athletic 6'11 guy with raw skills. I'd rather develop him, lose Samb and gain an impact transfer big that can contribute right away.
Yup, no one said Tchikou was better than Samb right now. He’s not. Samb has a much better offensive game. I’d give Tchikou the slight edge defensively, but both are weak...I agree Tchikou has more upside, but man he’s not making any impact right now… Bilau is better than both and I think Foumena will be as well. If Archie lands a juco big I think at least Samb and Rory will move on.
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Meaning what?
Many of the top young players are followed closely by these programs very early on and the services take notice.

Elijah Wood who we recruited was originally a 4* and interest in him started to fade along with his rankings.

Ramster I am sure all these recruiting sights have many criteria they use in evaluating players.
Elijah Wood. I saw personally play several times. Perfect example. 4 posters here I know of saw Wood play multiple times. All 4 of us said he was overrated. URI to Nebraska to Eastern Illinois and now at Colby Community College (lost 20 straight games now). When I saw Wood I said wtf is this URI staff seeing that I and others are not. But a staff (and maybe HC too) can hold off the wolves (knowing their job is in trouble and/or their recruiting jar is empty) by saying “I signed a 4-star. He will be great.” He was never a 4 star, trust me. 2 star at most.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Meaning what?

Elijah Wood. I saw personally play several times. Perfect example. 4 posters here I know of saw Wood play multiple times. All 4 of us said he was overrated. URI to Nebraska to Eastern Illinois and now at Colby Community College (lost 20 straight games now). When I saw Wood I said wtf is this URI staff seeing that I and others are not. But a staff (and maybe HC too) can hold off the wolves (knowing their job is in trouble and/or their recruiting jar is empty) by saying “I signed a 4-star. He will be great.” He was never a 4 star, trust me. 2 star at most.
Wood absolutely didn't deserve the early rating.
I think the only reason he initially got 4* was because he was getting early interest/offers from quite a few decent P5 schools (Auburn, Florida, Georgia Tech, TT, Texas A&M, TCU, K-State, Miss).
https://247sports.com/player/46041472/
Bunch of schools ended up backing away from him.
Actually 247 ended up dropping his ranking to around 400.
Last edited by Jersey77 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x