The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago All you have to do is look at professional sports. Pre-free agency fans knew the team, knew the players, and were invested in "their" team. Once free agency hit, it became a free for all. I can still name every starting player on the 1967 Red Sox. Today's Sox - I look at the roster and wonder who they are and determine it doesn't matter because they'll be gone next year. Disclaimer: Free Agency is the right thing for professional athletes. They had no recourse most of the time regarding their pay. This is where collegiate athletics is headed, however. Don't get too attached because they'll probably be somewhere else next year. Only die-hard fans will stick around.
Only die-hard fans will stick around?

The 1967 Red Sox drew 1,727,832 fans or 21,331 fans per game. Last year's shitty team drew 2,625,089 or 32,409 fans per game, or 11,078 more fans than the 67 team.

People love to act like the old days were so much better, and things were more pure, and because of that people were more invested. There's literally no truth to that
2 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

No clue how accurate this source is, but:

0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago
NHRamFan wrote: 1 year ago All you have to do is look at professional sports. Pre-free agency fans knew the team, knew the players, and were invested in "their" team. Once free agency hit, it became a free for all. I can still name every starting player on the 1967 Red Sox. Today's Sox - I look at the roster and wonder who they are and determine it doesn't matter because they'll be gone next year. Disclaimer: Free Agency is the right thing for professional athletes. They had no recourse most of the time regarding their pay. This is where collegiate athletics is headed, however. Don't get too attached because they'll probably be somewhere else next year. Only die-hard fans will stick around.

The 1967 Red Sox drew 1,727,832 fans or 21,331 fans per game. Last year's shitty team drew 2,625,089 or 32,409 fans per game, or 11,078 more fans than the 67 team.

People love to act like the old days were so much better, and things were more pure, and because of that people were more invested. There's literally no truth to that
The Red Sox had been last or next-to-last -- in a 10-team league -- for years. Interest was at an all-time low. Attendance only picked up mid-season when they started winning and began following the near-daily heroics of The Fabulous Number 8, Carl Yastrzemski.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Percentage of points produced by Transfers each year

Transfer Points projected to exceed 50% in 2023-2024 season

99EAF804-0E5F-4145-8C8C-4AEBB918AA57.jpeg
Last edited by ramster 11 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
1 x
hrstrat57
Sly Williams

Unread post by hrstrat57 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 11 months ago

The Red Sox had been last or next-to-last -- in a 10-team league -- for years. Interest was at an all-time low. Attendance only picked up mid-season when they started winning and began following the near-daily heroics of The Fabulous Number 8, Carl Yastrzemski.
I recall going to Fenway Park with my father(1964-65ish?) when foul balls hit down in section 1 area wouldn’t get retrieved for 2/3 minutes. They’re just rattle around. Place was a dump, under the grandstands it smelled like pee.

Tony C was my all time fav player. Half the peeps there were probably from Revere.

Vividly remember going to a game in August 67, electric. Dick Williams straightened that bunch out!
1 x
We're gonna run the picket fence at "em.....now boys don't get caught watchin' the paint dry!
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

I’m pulling for Jalen Carey !
5 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Ramulous wrote: 11 months ago I’m pulling for Jalen Carey !
I am too Ramulous.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhode_Island_Red wrote: 11 months ago

Ah, Yaz...my first "favorite player" in any sport.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago
I am too Ramulous.
Same ...pulling for him to return here 8-)
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Lance Ware averaged 1.8 ppg and 2.2 rpg at Kentucky the last 3 years. He was leaning towards PC, St John's also in the loop then visited Villanova and has committed there.
Rumor is Nova offered more NIL than PC - $150k being mentioned. Big East Bidding War victory to Villanova.

https://thespun.com/sec/kentucky-wildca ... estination

0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago Lance Ware averaged 1.8 ppg and 2.2 rpg at Kentucky the last 3 years. He was leaning towards PC, St John's also in the loop then visited Villanova and has committed there.
Rumor is Nova offered more NIL than PC - $150k being mentioned. Big East Bidding War victory to Villanova.

https://thespun.com/sec/kentucky-wildca ... estination

A kid who has done absolute jack shit for three years gets 150K.

Unreal.

More power to the kid though, get the money.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Power in bidding, especially as the talent gets signed and not so much remains.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

So should Coach English get credit or is it PCs check book?
1 x
GO RAMS
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago So should Coach English get credit or is it PCs check book?
Whoever the GM is?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 11 months ago So should Coach English get credit or is it PCs check book?
Did you read the post?

He didn’t go to PC.
0 x
Go Rhody
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Hunter Dickinson says he got less than six figures at Michigan and some bum averaging 1.8 PPG in 3 years at Kentucky allegedly got $150K. This does not add up at all.
2 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago
I am too Ramulous.
Same ...pulling for him to return here 8-)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

I am too Ramulous.
God we suck.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

STC wrote: 11 months ago Hunter Dickinson says he got less than six figures at Michigan and some bum averaging 1.8 PPG in 3 years at Kentucky allegedly got $150K. This does not add up at all.
Yeah crazy
0 x
Ramulous
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Ramulous »

Imagine how much he could have gotten if he averaged 3.6 points.
4 x
F*ck Alacki, DarthFriar, DirtyBeanFriar94, xCoachK, Boxworth, Friar Faithful, bicycleicycle, Matt_Keough, Patrick Norton, the Rosato brothers, and especially Benjamin Lord !
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

At some point (it would seem) there will be transparency around this... Players now are on the Monty Hall classic Let's Make a Deal. Except for, instead of just leaving the show because they got the ham sandwich in the box instead of the Porsche behind the curtain....they b**** about it out loud...which is fine....I guess?
0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I really wish some credible sports writer would do an article on the impact of NIL on college basketball. And not just spin NIL as 'getting reimbursement for use of likeness', but for what it really is. They need to chronicle the bidding wars for basketball recruits and expose this information to the public. Players and salaries. ESPN is just a PR front for the P6 schools. Maybe The Athletic will take it on.
Even if I were rich beyond measure, I would not spend $150,000 to hire a basketball player for my school. We are now hiring a staff of players, the term 'recruiting' can now be used in the same context as it is with commercial companies.

I think I will start a new venture - I'm thinking an Indeed web site for college sports. Universities can post job openings and players can post resumes.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 11 months ago I really wish some credible sports writer would do an article on the impact of NIL on college basketball. And not just spin NIL as 'getting reimbursement for use of likeness', but for what it really is. They need to chronicle the bidding wars for basketball recruits and expose this information to the public. Players and salaries. ESPN is just a PR front for the P6 schools. Maybe The Athletic will take it on.
Even if I were rich beyond measure, I would not spend $150,000 to hire a basketball player for my school. We are now hiring a staff of players, the term 'recruiting' can now be used in the same context as it is with commercial companies.

I think I will start a new venture - I'm thinking an Indeed web site for college sports. Universities can post job openings and players can post resumes.
Don't think the 150K has been confirmed, just people throwing around a number.

I can't see Ware getting 150K as he's been a stiff his whole career while Dickinson getting little over 100K at Kansas.
0 x
Go Rhody
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhody15 wrote: 11 months ago
rhodyblue12 wrote: 11 months ago I really wish some credible sports writer would do an article on the impact of NIL on college basketball. And not just spin NIL as 'getting reimbursement for use of likeness', but for what it really is. They need to chronicle the bidding wars for basketball recruits and expose this information to the public. Players and salaries. ESPN is just a PR front for the P6 schools. Maybe The Athletic will take it on.

I can't see Ware getting 150K as he's been a stiff his whole career while Dickinson getting little over 100K at Kansas.
Correct - a lot of this is just throwing out numbers - nothing is ever that close in reality.

Basically you get kids/family members/managers acting like they think they're worth x and will openly say they're going to get x as an offer to try and drive the pricing up.

This is so new that there's no "market" yet. There's on3 which tries to place a valuation on a player's head, but nothing is actually rooted in the market reality.

The other problem that will start to creep up is that the really inflated numbers - the numbers the big NIL boosters are giving to kids, are not sustainable. They're going to dry up fast, for multiple reasons:

A) This isn't tax deductible. Unlike your traditional program donation is.

B) The ROI is short term and minimal, comparatively. Sure - you can get a player, but there's no guarantee that player gets you to a final four or even the tourney in some cases. You can't use that money to get a player to stay longer than 1 year - meaning that you could throw away a couple hundred thousand for one player for one year, you don't perform to your expectations, the player can choose to leave, and then what did you get?

Traditional program support gives you long term infrastrucutre and support, in return you usually get priority tickets, access, etc. With NIL money on a single recruit - it's significantly harder to get a return there, especially if they player you spent that money on goes elsewhere.

C) It's not sustainable because of that. The big donors are going to get tired of spending money that they can't write off and they don't see a long term benefit of. On top of that - where does this leave athletics departments that need donations to keep functioning and competing - because you're probably drawing from the same well.

Mainly though, most of what you hear a player saying they're worth or making is completely fabricated. Flex culture and all that, people love to brag about what they're getting more than they actually like getting the money.
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The collective funded no show jobs and pay for play stuff will eventually be controlled and prob go away IF the ncaa figures out a fair way to rev share with athletes in rev generating sports.

There aren’t many articles about it yet bc there is little reliable info. Multiple intermediaries in the space and no incentive for anyone to really share info vs negotiating in the dark and creating a fake market.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 11 months ago The collective funded no show jobs and pay for play stuff will eventually be controlled and prob go away IF the ncaa figures out a fair way to rev share with athletes in rev generating sports.

There aren’t many articles about it yet bc there is little reliable info. Multiple intermediaries in the space and no incentive for anyone to really share info vs negotiating in the dark and creating a fake market.
Yeah your larger point is what needs to happen. There needs to be a CBA in place. NIL is creating a weird side-market where the costs are deferred onto fans and boosters - who are also needed to prop up athletics departments themselves.

The whole point of NIL was to prevent restriction on players from going and making extra money if people wanted to pay for autographs or have them advertise a car dealership or something. This is flatly just becoming a half-assed de-regulated black market for paying players. I have no problem with them making money, I think they should - but they should be making money from the pot of money they make the NCAA - not the boosters.

The NCAA revenue stream is well over a billion dollars a year. For a non-profit, that should mean there's a substantial amount of money that should be distributed to the players earning that money as well.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago

Correct - a lot of this is just throwing out numbers - nothing is ever that close in reality.

Basically you get kids/family members/managers acting like they think they're worth x and will openly say they're going to get x as an offer to try and drive the pricing up.

This is so new that there's no "market" yet. There's on3 which tries to place a valuation on a player's head, but nothing is actually rooted in the market reality.

The other problem that will start to creep up is that the really inflated numbers - the numbers the big NIL boosters are giving to kids, are not sustainable. They're going to dry up fast, for multiple reasons:

B) The ROI is short term and minimal, comparatively. Sure - you can get a player, but there's no guarantee that player gets you to a final four or even the tourney in some cases. You can't use that money to get a player to stay longer than 1 year - meaning that you could throw away a couple hundred thousand for one player for one year, you don't perform to your expectations, the player can choose to leave, and then what did you get?

Traditional program support gives you long term infrastrucutre and support, in return you usually get priority tickets, access, etc. With NIL money on a single recruit - it's significantly harder to get a return there, especially if they player you spent that money on goes elsewhere.

C) It's not sustainable because of that. The big donors are going to get tired of spending money that they can't write off and they don't see a long term benefit of. On top of that - where does this leave athletics departments that need donations to keep functioning and competing - because you're probably drawing from the same well.

Mainly though, most of what you hear a player saying they're worth or making is completely fabricated. Flex culture and all that, people love to brag about what they're getting more than they actually like getting the money.
There are 5 pages on Lance Ware on Friar site. Ware was highest probability for Providence before Villanova won the battle for the Kentucky transfer. PC was possible having a Kentucky transfer already in their starting 5.

RJSuperfly, a knowledgeable PC poster/fan heard the $150K for Lance Ware. His sources are usually pretty solid.

88A92A51-C462-491D-BA02-ED04E0FAAE9F.png
PC message board thread on Lance Ware transfer recruitment
https://247sports.com/college/providenc ... 42/?page=4
0 x
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Thanks, that’s what I have been saying all along, why are the fans and boosters being asked to “pay” the players when the reason we are here is all these huge TV contacts that the NCAA and BCS football have…shouldn’t the money be coming from those pots? Evenly distributed among the participating athletes in their respective sports. Maybe not evenly, but that can be figured out…I assume.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Yea but he also had PC getting Ike from Wyoming and that didn’t happen.

I could be completely wrong but I Can’t see Villanova paying 150K for a kid.
0 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

@CBKReport

Ohio State transfer Seth Towns has committed to Howard for his EIGHTH year of College Basketball.

Towns has been in college since 2016 and earned 2 degrees.

2016-17: Harvard
2017-18: Harvard
2018-19: Harvard (RS)
2019-20: Harvard (RS)
2020-21: Ohio State
2021-22: Ohio State (Injured)
2022-23: Ohio State (DNP)
2023-24: Howard
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 11 months ago @CBKReport

Ohio State transfer Seth Towns has committed to Howard for his EIGHTH year of College Basketball.

Maybe he will be Dr. Towns once he is done with his eligibility.
3 x
rhodylaw
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodylaw »

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago

Very good analysis but I think I disagree on some points.

1. If you pay $150k for a recruit to come, you are getting benefits from the team. They will give you all the access you want and everyone in the program will know that you were the one who did it. There is massive status there with the program.

2. As much as $150k seems, it is not nearly as much as giving millions of dollars to build a gym or training facility, etc. over 10 years that’s “only” 1.5 million. Again, seems like a lot but to some of these guys really not that much especially when you go back to point 1.

3. If you have any kind of business that makes sales, you get to use the athlete to promote your business that year. Not a huge return in investment, but you do get a lot of access to that player. If that player becomes an NBA player, pretty cool to hang with that guy and get access for the year.
0 x
Gators1
Frenchy Tomlin

Unread post by Gators1 »

And he still has another year of eligibility!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seth_Towns
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Unread post by Ramfan22 »

Good player at Harvard but struggled with injuries
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Remember this name from our previous discussion, Cooley nabbed him.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PC just got bigger adding depth and insurance in the middle.

0 x
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago PC just got bigger adding depth and insurance in the middle.

Hmmmm...stats aren't great. Averaging 3.3 points and 12 minutes???
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

LoveThoseRams wrote: 10 months ago
Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago PC just got bigger adding depth and insurance in the middle.

He doesn't need to move the needle for them, they already have Oduro in the middle.

Has averaged double digit minutes the last 4 years in P5, so he gives them frontcourt depth off the bench.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Huge addition for Hurley and UConn, the rich get richer.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago

He doesn't need to move the needle for them, they already have Oduro in the middle.

Has averaged double digit minutes the last 4 years in P5, so he gives them frontcourt depth off the bench.
Was a good piece on NMSU tourney team when they beat UCONN but was meh at Mississippi St, pc only needed someone to bring in that would happy with like 5-10 mins / game
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Dino611 wrote: 10 months ago

Has averaged double digit minutes his last year in P5, so he gives them frontcourt depth off the bench.
Was a good piece on NMSU tourney team when they beat UCONN but was meh at Mississippi St, pc only needed someone to bring in that would happy with like 5-10 mins / game
Yep he should provide a serviceable role for them in spelling Oduro at times.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 10 months ago Huge addition for Hurley and UConn, the rich get richer.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

Kentucky is the early favorite it sounds like
0 x
Ramfan22
ARD

He’s going to Rhode Island per Vault 😂😂😂
8 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Ramfan22 wrote: 10 months ago
He’s going to Rhode Island per Vault 😂😂😂
I was going to say.....Tell The Vault to get right on this story. :lol:
2 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Completely forgot that Mitchell went to West Virginia. His rate stats and efficiency slipped across the board, and he was basically an average big man for them. So, plenty of movement for him, but pretty much no improvement on his professional prospects. All that being said, the West Virginia situation seems like a complete mess, and I don't blame him for wanting to get out.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Wonder what happens to the other big names at WVU: Battle, Edwards, Kriisa, Perez, and Toussaint.
0 x