The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: The Men's Basketball Transfer Carousel 2023-24

Unread post by Jersey77 »

0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

ramster wrote: 7 months ago
Rhody72 wrote: 7 months ago
ramster wrote: 7 months ago

But 72,
So you agree with me that A10 institutions now compete in the B league, and most players and coaches who are late bloomers etc will leave for the A league if given the opportunity. This is extremely depressing to me. Somehow I don't believe that Bryant Univ will ever be satisfied being a B league institution.
Yes and no.
We always had the B League loosely defined as Mid Majors.
Players and Coaches who are late bloomers as you say have left for the A League (P5 or High Major) in the past but quicker and in much greater numbers today since the Free Transfer with no sit out penalty, NIL, not sit out Grad Year Transfers and free 5th Covid Year all came about.
Free agency with no contracts.

The $50 to $80 million per School for P5 Schools far exceeds the $4 million per school the Big East schools receive.

Separation into at least 2 levels seems on the horizon similar to FBS and FCS Football.
B League Schools will gravitate towards conferences that play all sports including Football. Conferences without Football will never command the huge $70 million annual money per school. Non Football schools will really struggle to keep up and likely fall back to a lower level.
It's all on how and where the money is spent, isn't it? BE basketball money is all pretty much basketball money. Power football money is all pretty much football money. Ohio St, Alabama, Texas, etc are not taking their $70 million a year and throwing $30 million at basketball. They are maybe throwing $5-10 million at basketball, if any at all. These schools all know football drives the bus and that is why they funnel all their resources there. The real issue is that BE schools will struggle to compete in NIL with these large alumni bases that have some deep wallets, but same rules apply, if most of these donors are giving to football, it closes the gap a little bit.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Is there any documentation available that shows what monies the big football schools are funneling into basketball from football or are you assuming, RJ ? And, is there any guarantee that - whatever those monies are - are destined to stay the same as they are now or change ?

ETA: this is an open question to KB, as well, as I have not looked into this myself yet.
0 x
rjsuperfly66
Carlton Owens

Unread post by rjsuperfly66 »

It's speculative on my part, although I'm not sure if it would be factored into revenue for a programs respective sports...

I do know a quick glance on google showed Ohio Sts 2022 expenses - $70 million for football, $12 million for basketball.
0 x
STC
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by STC »

Jose Perez who has attended Gardner-Webb, Marquette, Manhattan, and WVU is no longer with the WVU team due to academic reasons.

0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Transfer portal window reduced to 45 days.
Opens on the Monday after Selection Sunday and runs till May 1st.
Players interested in transferring have until then to enter their name in the portal.

"NCAA Council votes to overhaul college basketball recruiting calendar in addition to slimming portal window."
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... al-window/

0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 6 months ago

ahhhh... now we get the positive attitude !
2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago Transfer portal window reduced to 45 days.
Players interested in transferring have until then to enter their name in the portal.

"NCAA Council votes to overhaul college basketball recruiting calendar in addition to slimming portal window."

Jersey, I suspect reducing the portal window could encourage more first timers to throw their name in even if their first option is to stay. Sort of an unintended consequence of this move by the NCAA is my thinking.

That said, we shall see in time if I am on to something or not.

Thanks for posting this. 👍🏼
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago

Jersey, I suspect reducing the portal window could encourage more first timers to throw their name in even if their first option is to stay. Sort of an unintended consequence of this move by the NCAA is my thinking.

JD, yeah there are some players that do enter the portal and then decide to stay, only if the coach lets them back and there is room.
Most because of coaching changes, example Ish in 22-23.

Having a shorter window to enter gives the staff more time in trying to figure out their roster and open spots available to fill.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

The key is, whatever the NCAA was giving us at the time... we were taking full advantage of it while we could. Which we did.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago

JD, yeah there are some players that do enter the portal and then decide to stay, only if the coach lets them back and there is room.
Most because of coaching changes, example Ish in 22-23.

Having a shorter window to enter gives the staff more time in trying to figure out their roster and open spots available to fill.
Good point on the coach having the option of allowing them to come back or not once a player enters the portal. That completely slipped my mind.

The coaches option puts a govenor on testing the waters if a player’s first option is to stay, I think. Therefore, my scenario will not likely play out.

Thanks. 👍🏼
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

West Virginia certainly has its share of bad luck this year.
I actually thought Battle was a grad transfer, having already played 4 seasons.
He would have been penciled in as a starter.

0 x
rhodyblue12
ARD

Unread post by rhodyblue12 »

I didn't think that 'academic issues' were a thing anymore. Didn't the UNC case establish that the NCAA had no jurisdiction over academics?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rhodyblue12 wrote: 6 months ago I didn't think that 'academic issues' were a thing anymore. Didn't the UNC case establish that the NCAA had no jurisdiction over academics?
The NCAA does have academic eligibility requirements.
https://www.ncsasports.org/ncaa-eligibi ... quirements
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

rhodyblue12 wrote: 6 months ago I didn't think that 'academic issues' were a thing anymore. Didn't the UNC case establish that the NCAA had no jurisdiction over academics?

The issue is that Battle did not graduate from Montana State and he already used his one-time transfer when he went from Washington to Montana State.
Battle is a 5th year so he could transfer for a 2nd time and not sit out another year as a Grad Transfer - but he didn't Graduate.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 6 months ago

The issue is that Battle did not graduate from Montana State and he already used his one-time transfer when he went from Washington to Montana State.
Battle is a 5th year so he could transfer for a 2nd time and not sit out another year as a Grad Transfer - but he didn't Graduate.
Yes, I understand that.

But since Rhodyblue12 didn't reference my post, I wasn't sure that is what he was referring to or if the NCAA isn't involved in academics at all, which is what he posted.

There are still some international players from SLU waiting to be cleared by the NCAA.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Yes, I understand that.

But since Rhodyblue12 didn't reference my post, I wasn't sure that is what he was referring to or if the NCAA isn't involved in academics at all, which is what he posted.

There are still some international players from SLU waiting to be cleared by the NCAA.
Rothstein did not mention that Battle did not Graduate. I learned that by going to the West Virginia Message Board. Battle was supposedly taking some courses this summer but not sure what happened there. All of this stuff gets into privacy of academic records as well. Not always so cut and dry as these media guys tend to make things look. West Virginia also had Perez and Silverio get denied. Plus their Coach getting canned.

It's all pretty much a joke now as guys are getting paid to play basketball, transfers have been approved in huge numbers and now the NCAA is trying to get tough with their rules. Players and teams will lawyer up.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Yes, I understand that.

Rothstein did not mention that Battle did not Graduate. I learned that by going to the West Virginia Message Board. Battle was supposedly taking some courses this summer but not sure what happened there. All of this stuff gets into privacy of academic records as well. Not always so cut and dry as these media guys tend to make things look. West Virginia also had Perez and Silverio get denied. Plus their Coach getting canned.

It's all pretty much a joke now as guys are getting paid to play basketball, transfers have been approved in huge numbers and now the NCAA is trying to get tough with their rules. Players and teams will lawyer up.
Yes, all that along with Tre Mitchell and Joe Toussaint leaving.
If all those players stayed or have been eligible along with Huggins not getting in trouble, they probably would have been contenders.

Interim coach Eilert still has some talent there with Kriisa, Edwards, Slazinski, and Akok but not close to what could have been. 
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Please

0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Nothing new here as the NCAA never fails to disappoint.

But it’s absolute insanity to have not ruled on waivers within almost a week of the season starting

Could easily figure all of these out months ago and let teams prep accordingly
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

And they are not finished yet!!
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago Nothing new here as the NCAA never fails to disappoint.

But it’s absolute insanity to have not ruled on waivers within almost a week of the season starting

Yeah. I understand that there are tons of transfers and waiver requests now, but this isn't the first year of that. It's a completely foreseeable issue that they seemingly did nothing to prepare for. The NCAA's response to any sort of issue that arises seems to be throwing their hands up and insisting they couldn't have done anything proactive, especially when it comes to issues involving player eligibility and compensation.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago
KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago Nothing new here as the NCAA never fails to disappoint.

Yeah. I understand that there are tons of transfers and waiver requests now, but this isn't the first year of that. It's a completely foreseeable issue that they seemingly did nothing to prepare for. The NCAA's response to any sort of issue that arises seems to be throwing their hands up and insisting they couldn't have done anything proactive, especially when it comes to issues involving player eligibility and compensation.
I just wanna know what exactly takes them so long.

Have they looked at David Green's appeal yet?

Do they look at it and discuss it with multiple people in the NCAA and vote yes or no?

Does it take them an afternoon once they finally get it? Or is everyone incredibly indecisive? Is it up to one person at a time?

Ok they read his appeal then decide whether or not he should be eligible. How can it possibly take longer than like 30 minutes for one individual issue. This is some pretty basic stuff.

The NCAA has their parameters. Look at the argument given on Green's behalf, decide if its good enough and give a ruling.

They should be able to knock out several in a day I mean what in the actual hell.

David Green, 2 year transfer, played in six games last year, got hurt, dismissed from the team, transfers. I'm sure we will argue that the reasons for his dismissal aren't that bad and since he only played in six games he should be given a waiver.

This stuff isn't difficult. It's just pathetic.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah it’s so darn frustrating, the NCAA always works @ their own pace and we need a decision!!
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

PeterRamTime wrote: 6 months ago
SGreenwell wrote: 6 months ago

I just wanna know what exactly takes them so long.

Have they looked at David Green's appeal yet?

Do they look at it and discuss it with multiple people in the NCAA and vote yes or no?

Does it take them an afternoon once they finally get it? Or is everyone incredibly indecisive? Is it up to one person at a time?

Ok they read his appeal then decide whether or not he should be eligible. How can it possibly take longer than like 30 minutes for one individual issue. This is some pretty basic stuff.

The NCAA has their parameters. Look at the argument given on Green's behalf, decide if its good enough and give a ruling.

They should be able to knock out several in a day I mean what in the actual hell.

David Green, 2 year transfer, played in six games last year, got hurt, dismissed from the team, transfers. I'm sure we will argue that the reasons for his dismissal aren't that bad and since he only played in six games he should be given a waiver.

This stuff isn't difficult. It's just pathetic.
Yes don’t get me wrong I do agree there is a bit of nuance in Green’s situation for example that makes it more complex than others.

But to your broader point is there any actual process? Or are they just see sawing on what they want to do here? Some committee that cant come to a unanimous decision so there still isn’t one?

You’d figure (right or wrong) there’d be enough precedents with almost every type of transfer situation by now that they’d have former cases to work off of
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

If he isn’t cleared though, please don’t go “ah NCAA hates us, hates mid majors blah blah blah”

This has happened all over the country, all types of schools.

Hopefully people don’t think we’re being singled out, the NCAA has made it clear they’re cracking down on two time transfers (I don’t agree with it) but Archie and co had to know they’d have a slim chance for Green to eligible.
0 x
Go Rhody
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago If he isn’t cleared though, please don’t go “ah NCAA hates us, hates mid majors blah blah blah”

Hopefully people don’t think we’re being singled out, the NCAA has made it clear they’re cracking down on two time transfers (I don’t agree with it) but Archie and co had to know they’d have a slim chance for Green to eligible.
For sure. I’m not commenting on whether Green should or should not get one. I don’t have enough historical knowledge of every similar waiver case to know what his fate should be

More commenting on the process (or lack thereof) that has us still in limbo
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I would hope that the NCAA has supplied URI some information about if Green will get a waiver or not or URI have accumulated enough information to have a good idea on where Green stands. I would hope.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago If he isn’t cleared though, please don’t go “ah NCAA hates us, hates mid majors blah blah blah”

For sure. I’m not commenting on whether Green should or should not get one. I don’t have enough historical knowledge of every similar waiver case to know what his fate should be

Not sure about the whole timeline of this process, but the NCAA Eligibility Center (previously called the Clearinghouse) is probably dealing with so many requests. Not just the multi-transfers but also those meeting the academic standards, example some international players.
Remember the rules did change earlier this year, making it much more difficult for immediate play.

I am sure Archie and company were all well aware of Green's situation when they offered him.
So yeah, they are probably well prepared to play this season without him, it would just be gravy if he is available.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Not sure about the whole timeline of this process, but the NCAA Eligibility Center (previously called the Clearinghouse) is probably dealing with so many requests. Not just the multi-transfers but also those meeting the academic standards, example some international players.
Remember the rules did change earlier this year, making it much more difficult for immediate play.

I am sure Archie and company were all well aware of Green's situation when they offered him.
So yeah, they are probably well prepared to play this season without him, it would just be gravy if he is available.
No there's no excuse for their delay

They've had the appeal for Green since the spring
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

rjv wrote: 6 months ago I would hope that the NCAA has supplied URI some information about if Green will get a waiver or not or URI have accumulated enough information to have a good idea on where Green stands. I would hope.
I wouldn't count on it.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

PRT, I didn't hear when they actually filed the waiver.
Preparing all the paperwork does take a little time, because they want to make sure they give him the best chance for approval.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Preparing all the paperwork does take a little time, because they want to make sure they give him the best chance for approval.
True we don't know, but I can't imagine it took us several months to submit something that important.
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

After watching the Grasso comedy show and that was “public” information, I wonder if the actual waiver application for Green is available per “freedom of information”
0 x
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

Japhat Medor, the point guard transfer for Fordham from UTSA just received a NCAA waiver. It was not for more than one transfer, rather, course credit minimums .
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

McRam wrote: 6 months ago Japhat Medor, the point guard transfer for Fordham from UTSA just received a NCAA waiver. It was not for more than one transfer, rather, course credit minimums .
From Jon Rothstein:
Source: Fordham's Japhet Medor has received a waiver from the NCAA and is immediately eligible for the 2023-24 season.
Medor is NOT a two-time transfer, but needed to pass certain academic requirements to be eligible.
Transfer from UTSA who averaged 13.7 PPG last season.

Medor played in charity exhibition for Fordham on Sunday. Game hi scorer with 23 P, 7 R , 9-14 FG

https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-b ... core/15591
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

McRam wrote: 6 months ago Japhat Medor, the point guard transfer for Fordham from UTSA just received a NCAA waiver. It was not for more than one transfer, rather, course credit minimums .
From Jon Rothstein:
Source: Fordham's Japhet Medor has received a waiver from the NCAA and is immediately eligible for the 2023-24 season.
Medor is NOT a two-time transfer, but needed to pass certain academic requirements to be eligible.
Transfer from UTSA who averaged 13.7 PPG last season.

Medor played in charity exhibition for Fordham on Sunday. Game hi scorer with 23 P, 7 R , 9-14 FG

https://fordhamsports.com/sports/mens-b ... core/15591
Medor was huge pick-up in the portal from UTSA, now in the AAC.
They hope he will ease the loss of Quisenberry.

Plus, getting (F) Josh Rivera (10.6 pts/5.3 rebs) to help bolster the frontcourt.
He shot terrible in the exhibition but did have 14 rebs.

Fordham is the only school in the A10 not to lose a player in the portal.
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Green committed 5/3. How long do we think it took us to submit the waiver? A week? Two?
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 6 months ago

Green committed 5/3. How long do we think it took us to submit the waiver? A week? Two?
Have no idea, also don't know how many other multi-transfers committed then or prior.
Also remember that all the transfer and enrollment papers have to first be submitted and accepted by the university before he officially becomes a student athlete at URI so they can file on his behalf.

In addition, the NCAA was also dealing with all the waiver requests by the football transfers which needed to be dealt with first.

There are several other players and teams also waiting to hear back, just have to wait and see.
Also don't even know if the staff already got some feedback on this, but it hasn't been released yet.
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

It’s David Green Waiver week
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

NCAA will consider modifications to transfer rules amid heavy criticism directed at waiver process
The request comes as the NCAA has dealt with considerable scrutiny in the waiver process.
By David Cobb
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-process/

0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 5 months ago NCAA will consider modifications to transfer rules amid heavy criticism directed at waiver process
The request comes as the NCAA has dealt with considerable scrutiny in the waiver process.
By David Cobb
https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... r-process/

"The NCAA went on to say they were not in a hurry"

At least they're being honest.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

It's not like NCAA hoops generates enough dough to just hire all kinds of waiver reviewers all willy nilly just to get them through...oh wait, ne'er mind.
Why don't they do what H &R Block does and hire some freekn seasonal help?

This is like the last little stupid piece of the puzzle they insist on maintaining the ability to eff up. No wonder the P(Infinity) wants out....
0 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Fuck the ncaa

Ruined the sport

stupid ass free agency

Soft players with no loyalty

Microcosm of todays youth

If a coach effs a school then fine

But this portal had ruined the sport
2 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Knowing how the NCAA works, I wonder if it will soon announce waivers are automatically guaranteed to players if transferring to a member school of the Big Ten, SEC, Big-12, ACC, PAC-12, or BE (similar to the new NIT selection process). All others will have to be evaluated on merit.
Last edited by RF1 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

RF1, that would not surprise me but, I think if the NCAA permitted that then there could be blow-back on them (maybe legal action?) by the non-P5/6 schools.

At that point, it would just make sense for the P5 to just split off and do their own thing and leave everyone else with the NCAA.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

McRam wrote: 6 months ago After watching the Grasso comedy show and that was “public” information, I wonder if the actual waiver application for Green is available per “freedom of information”
FOIA requests are for government agencies only.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rhody74 wrote: 5 months ago
McRam wrote: 6 months ago After watching the Grasso comedy show and that was “public” information, I wonder if the actual waiver application for Green is available per “freedom of information”
FOIA requests are for government agencies only.
Right, so you'd have to petition the URI side as opposed to the NCAA. That said, because of FERPA, if you filed and got anything it would be heavily redacted
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RF1 wrote: 5 months ago Knowing how the NCAA works, I wonder if it will soon announce waivers are automatically guaranteed to players if transferring to a member school of the Big Ten, SEC, Big-12, ACC, PAC-12, or BE (similar to the new NIT selection process). All others will have to be evaluated on merit.
That won’t happen.
0 x
Go Rhody