2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

ramster wrote: 6 months ago JadenDaly@dalyDoseofHoops. Twitter

Rick Pitino on WFAN with Boomer & Gio: “I truly felt (Iona) was it and I loved it. It was great, a 5-minute drive, we’re winning. And then the president of St. John’s made a trip to Mamaroneck, he sat down and he told me to take this job. He’s a superstar, Father Shanley.” #sjubb

Rick Pitino: “We’re gonna take the schedule and make it something special outside the Big East. We’re looking to play at Arthur Ashe Stadium against Duke, opening game of the year, and we’re gonna play Alabama at the Garden. We’re gonna play 10 games next year (at MSG).” #sjubb

Adopting a scheduling philosophy different from most Big East teams that want a generous share of cupcakes because of the strong BE conference schedule

Father Shanley used to be at PC
The Rick...soon to be shredding the old new big east
0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Rick Pitino on WFAN with Boomer & Gio: “I truly felt (Iona) was it and I loved it. It was great, a 5-minute drive, we’re winning. And then the president of St. John’s made a trip to Mamaroneck, he sat down and he told me to take this job. He’s a superstar, Father Shanley.” #sjubb
Slick Rick with the big time Jan Brady vibes with how he talks about Iona and that situation

0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

I think Rick tends to 'misremember' things. After reestablishing himself he wanted a restructured deal. Iona said they were good. He was making about 20% of what he could be in a top 5 league.
For whatever reason Shanley was willing to pay off his coach who had something like 3 years left on his deal. Gtn wasn't interested in Rick. SJU was prob' his only shot at getting back in the BE.

RP and his band of mercenaries will do well and finish in the 'top half' but I don't think he's going to surprise anybody with heavy 3-pt attempts and a pressing D. As for his schedule he's trying to differentiate SJ but the 2nd semester double round-robin is what matters and not the front-loaded OC celeb games.
This league is getting tougher now that Ewing is retired. Fox may be encouraged to pay some more to keep them in their upcoming deal negotiations.
All of a sudden Shanley is a "superstar" because he hires Rick? He likely didn't feel that way after that other place told him he was through.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

DuneClub wrote: 6 months ago I think Rick tends to 'misremember' things. After reestablishing himself he wanted a restructured deal. Iona said they were good. He was making about 20% of what he could be in a top 5 league.
For whatever reason Shanley was willing to pay off his coach who had something like 3 years left on his deal. Gtn wasn't interested in Rick. SJU was prob' his only shot at getting back in the BE.

RP and his band of mercenaries will do well and finish in the 'top half' but I don't think he's going to surprise anybody with heavy 3-pt attempts and a pressing D. As for his schedule he's trying to differentiate SJ but the 2nd semester double round-robin is what matters and not the front-loaded OC celeb games.
This league is getting tougher now that Ewing is retired. Fox may be encouraged to pay some more to keep them in their upcoming deal negotiations.
All of a sudden Shanley is a "superstar" because he hires Rick? He likely didn't feel that way after that other place told him he was through.
Rick will do just fine at St. John's, and it is a perfect fit for both parties.
I can't think of a better place for him, it is still home for him, plays many games at MSG, and gets to be on the big stage in the BE.
Besides that, he always worshipped Lou Carnesecca.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Rick Pitino: “We’re gonna take the schedule and make it something special outside the Big East. We’re looking to play at Arthur Ashe Stadium against Duke, opening game of the year, and we’re gonna play Alabama at the Garden. We’re gonna play 10 games next year (at MSG).” #sjubb

Adopting a scheduling philosophy different from most Big East teams that want a generous share of cupcakes because of the strong BE conference schedule

This is comparable to George Costanza leaving Susan for Marisa Tomei. :lol:
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jdrums#3 wrote: 6 months ago

This is comparable to George Costanza leaving Susan for Marisa Tomei. :lol:
Well Susan died, and only on TV or make believe would Marisa Tomei be interested in George. :)
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

DuneClub wrote: 6 months ago For whatever reason Shanley was willing to pay off his coach who had something like 3 years left on his deal. Gtn wasn't interested in Rick. SJU was prob' his only shot at getting back in the BE.
Shanley apparently has no honor or ethics and had no intention of paying off his former coach Mike Anderson the $11M that was due per his contract. Went the slimy UConn route by firing him using just cause clause as the phony reason. Anderson filed suit against St John's for $45.6M in May. Would not be surprised to see a similar outcome to UConn having to pay Ollie.
Last edited by RF1 6 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RF1 wrote: 6 months ago
DuneClub wrote: 6 months ago For whatever reason Shanley was willing to pay off his coach who had something like 3 years left on his deal. Gtn wasn't interested in Rick. SJU was prob' his only shot at getting back in the BE.
Shanley apparently has no honor or ethics ..."
Which is why he was a perfect fit for the mental hospital, and why he sought out Undead Little Ricky. Birds of a feather etc.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Cooley loved him some cupcakes.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
DuneClub
Abdul Fox

Unread post by DuneClub »

https://fairfieldstags.com/news/2023/10 ... tball.aspx
Not a clue for a reason. So, I won't speculate.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

DuneClub wrote: 6 months ago https://fairfieldstags.com/news/2023/10 ... tball.aspx
Apparently there were allegations involving inappropriate behavior by a couple of the coaching staff during a trip to Costa Rica by the team.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

I was even squirming watching this guy squirm.

Grasso must be on drugs or something, with his rambling and conspiracies. He's a bad liar, and Patrolman Switzer (and everyone who watches this) can see right through his BS.
1 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Unread post by ElmCityRhody »

Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago
DuneClub wrote: 6 months ago https://fairfieldstags.com/news/2023/10 ... tball.aspx
Apparently there were allegations involving inappropriate behavior by a couple of the coaching staff during a trip to Costa Rica by the team.
My old town … not my problem anymore !

See ya !!!!
0 x
TruePoint
Frank Keaney

Unread post by TruePoint »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 6 months ago I was even squirming watching this guy squirm.

Grasso must be on drugs or something, with his rambling and conspiracies. He's a bad liar, and Patrolman Switzer (and everyone who watches this) can see right through his BS.
This might be the first time I’ve ever felt bad for a cop. One of the most uncomfortable things I’ve ever seen.

When you’re Ray Liotta in Goodfellas When the Helicopters Are Circling level of manic it certainly doesn’t do much to dispel the coke rumors.
0 x
"If you build it, they will come." --Us, circa 2011
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ElmCityRhody wrote: 6 months ago
Rhody74 wrote: 6 months ago
My old town … not my problem anymore !

See ya !!!!
It wouldn’t be your problem even if you were still there
3 x
Go Rhody
Rhody09
Steve Chubin

Unread post by Rhody09 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 6 months ago I was even squirming watching this guy squirm.

Wow, he’s a weird dude. There’s definitely something deeper going on, but I can’t put my finger on what exactly…
0 x
KingstonLane
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by KingstonLane »

Rhody09 wrote: 6 months ago

Wow, he’s a weird dude. There’s definitely something deeper going on, but I can’t put my finger on what exactly…
Drugs. It ain’t that deep
3 x
Rhody_NYCT
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by Rhody_NYCT »

I feel bad for him and his family.
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhody_NYCT wrote: 6 months ago I feel bad for him and his family.
Once it comes out why he’s on leave from Bryant, you won’t feel bad for him. Trust me.
2 x
Go Rhody
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Rhody15 wrote: 6 months ago
Once it comes out why he’s on leave from Bryant, you won’t feel bad for him. Trust me.

OH !
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Maybe just feel bad for his family and the team.
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 6 months ago
Maybe just feel bad for his family and the team.
Yes absolutely.
1 x
Go Rhody
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

This. And based on that you heard the same thing I did. Yikes.
2 x
ElmCityRhody
Sly Williams

Why is this a secret ?

sounds like the guy is scum to me - which is what we all knew

Well - all but RV - but does that surprise us ?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Just remember, URI wanted nothing to do with this guy. Didn't talk to him. Didn't want to talk with him.

Thankfully our leadership can see through people.
7 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RIFan
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RIFan »

Will we learn this or the results of the scrimmage first?
6 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

KingstonLane wrote: 6 months ago

Drugs. It ain’t that deep
Rule number one: If you're in a hole, stop digging.
0 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

TruePoint wrote: 6 months ago

This might be the first time I’ve ever felt bad for a cop. One of the most uncomfortable things I’ve ever seen.

When you’re Ray Liotta in Goodfellas When the Helicopters Are Circling level of manic it certainly doesn’t do much to dispel the coke rumors.
Ummm, TP. I hope this is not the first time you've ever felt bad for a cop.
0 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

He gone.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Driesell won 786 games. Ellis went past that number several years ago. Coastal Carolina became the fourth school he took to the NCAA tournament, making him the 10th coach to achieve that feat. Age didn’t drive him into retirement — the transfer portal and NIL did.

“It’s just stopped being fun,” he said. “I love to coach, but I don’t feel like I’m a coach anymore. It’s just time.”

“I think the thing Cliff enjoyed the most about coaching was his relationship with the players,” Krzyzewski said. “He didn’t do it for the money or for the glory or to be a celebrity. He loved to coach. He was successful at every possible level of coaching — from high school to junior college to the highest levels of the college game. And he never changed throughout all those years.”

Coastal plays tonight.
Bray Freeman possibly playing?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2 ... s-retires/
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Very understandable, add the love of teaching the game. But with today’s environment, you can add kids with the “disease of me” running up and down the court with the coaches pay checks in their pockets. Challenging times for sure.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

How long before we have cbb players making more money than the coach? Or, do we already?
I know there's probably players making more than other coaches, or even most coaches, but do we have that on the same team yet? Where the player is raking more than the coach?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago How long before we have cbb players making more money than the coach? Or, do we already?
I know there's probably players making more than other coaches, or even most coaches, but do we have that on the same team yet? Where the player is raking more than the coach?
Did you see this comment 208?

“I don’t feel as if I’m a coach anymore,” he said the day before he stepped down during his 17th season at Coastal Carolina. “I feel like I’m a general manager. I need a draft board in my office.”
Ellis is not, by any stretch, the first man driven away by the new world in which college coaches now live. He joins contemporaries such as Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, John Beilein and Jay Wright in voluntarily stepping away. Mike Brey, who left Notre Dame last season, may have spoken for all of them when he said, “The only way to describe what’s going on is exhausting.”
1 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 4 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago How long before we have cbb players making more money than the coach? Or, do we already?

“I don’t feel as if I’m a coach anymore,” he said the day before he stepped down during his 17th season at Coastal Carolina. “I feel like I’m a general manager. I need a draft board in my office.”
Ellis is not, by any stretch, the first man driven away by the new world in which college coaches now live. He joins contemporaries such as Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, John Beilein and Jay Wright in voluntarily stepping away. Mike Brey, who left Notre Dame last season, may have spoken for all of them when he said, “The only way to describe what’s going on is exhausting.”
Don't blame them on aota.

If it's annoying for us fans, its gotta be 10X as bad for coaches.

I think you're going to see a ton more coaches retire earlier/younger than years past.
1 x
Go Rhody
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhody15 wrote: 4 months ago
ramster wrote: 4 months ago

Don't blame them on aota.

If it's annoying for us fans, its gotta be 10X as bad for coaches.

I think you're going to see a ton more coaches retire earlier/younger than years past.
As 208 has been saying, and I think he was the first to say it, teams need to hire GM’s!!!
Tammi Reiss said same before the season started that she is not a HC anymore but a GM.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

But, is there a same team, coach-player sitch, where the player earns more than the coach? It's the total norm in every other pro sport, how long before it's the same in cbb? And, if it exists now, the specific situation(s) might be fun to keep an eye on...
0 x
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

This makes me wonder if Archie might be one of those that says "fuck this" and give it up someday soon...of course he can't knock the money he makes but is all of the frustration worth it?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rambone 78 wrote: 4 months ago This makes me wonder if Archie might be one of those that says "fuck this" and give it up someday soon...of course he can't knock the money he makes but is all of the frustration worth it?
Yes it is, Bone.

Archie is only 45, lots of paydays left for him.
He wants to go out winning and maybe trade-up again someday.
Of course, there is a chance that things can continue to go south, leaving his options limited.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

I still find it hilarious that some coaches are whining now because a system that so disproportionately benefitted them for so long has now shifted to at least somewhat benefit the players that are actually playing the game and providing the entertainment. So now some want to take their ball and go home.

I think Chip Kelly pretty much nailed it with this comment below. It's basically what I have been saying all along. Split off football, leave everything else alone, and rev share with the players.

2 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Well presented, interesting answer from Chip. Thanks for posting that clip, Adam. 👍🏼
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

Livvy Dunne is definitely making a lot more than her coach.

As far as basketball goes, I just read that Bronny James is making 6.7 million in NIL.
1 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago But, is there a same team, coach-player sitch, where the player earns more than the coach? It's the total norm in every other pro sport, how long before it's the same in cbb? And, if it exists now, the specific situation(s) might be fun to keep an eye on...
Bronny James. 6.7 mill per year.
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Billyboy78 wrote: 4 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 4 months ago But, is there a same team, coach-player sitch, where the player earns more than the coach? It's the total norm in every other pro sport, how long before it's the same in cbb? And, if it exists now, the specific situation(s) might be fun to keep an eye on...
Bronny James. 6.7 mill per year.
Have not seen him play, but will venture to say that his name makes him a one off maybe?
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

There’s no way Bronny makes that lol
0 x
GO RAMS
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Rhodymob05 wrote: 4 months ago There’s no way Bronny makes that lol
https://1075thefan.com/playlist/top-20- ... aluations/
0 x
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

How about #13 Bryce James, committed to Duquesne, $1.2M?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

RJRam wrote: 4 months ago
Anybody associated with Lebron is going to marketed.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

RJRam wrote: 4 months ago
He isn’t committed there, that’s wrong.

That list isn’t 100% accurate either.

Multiple websites and lists have all different valuations of those kids.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Insanity
0 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

IDK how many times it needs to be said...but these sites lie. Why do they lie?

The "managers" or hangers on or crews or parents or players are just making shit up to try and falsely inflate the market so they can make more money.

None of that is in reality.

All these kids grew up on IG and tiktok bragging about how much they have. Flex culture doesn't equate to reality. Rent a lambo for a music video to act like they own it. Rent a rolex to take some pictures for clout. The fact that adults are believing what they read about this is insanity.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL