2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
steviep123
Sly Williams

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by steviep123 »

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Damn sorry to hear about this , get well soon Coach Mooney
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

More info

Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Not surprising he was on the hotseat, maybe should have let him finish the season.

bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

The next 2 Friday's will include lots of firings...ADs still living in the 90s thinking they can game the news cycle by doing it on Fridays.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago Not surprising he was on the hotseat, maybe should have let him finish the season.

I mean, when you have a coach waiting in the wings named WIN CASE, you gotta make that move...!
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

I wonder where Keith Urgo will land next year or does he stay put....Hmmmmmmm???????????????????
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

rjv wrote: 1 year ago I wonder where Keith Urgo will land next year or does he stay put....Hmmmmmmm???????????????????
Probably staying put.
I could be wrong, but don't see the bigger programs come calling yet.
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
rjv wrote: 1 year ago I wonder where Keith Urgo will land next year or does he stay put....Hmmmmmmm???????????????????
Probably staying put.
I could be wrong, but don't see the bigger programs come calling yet.
Agreed. I think he'd have to string a couple seasons together first. Neptune was an assistant at Nova for eight years, so his jump from Fordham to there was pretty unusual.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

I hope Fordham rewards him and his staff with a bump in pay and backs him with more resources. Hope they have a defined, multi-step proposal to present to him with a sense of urgency as soon as the season is over.

FU, make it so.
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I think Cal leaves Ramster
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
I think Cal leaves Ramster
I think you are right Reef. I think it's a formality that he takes the Texas job.
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

If he does or doesn’t, I think Cal’s best days are behind him. I don’t see the fire that he once had.
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Texas has money money money @ it’s disposal I think they go after Cal
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago Texas has money money money @ it’s disposal I think they go after Cal
Arch Manning is getting most of that money. :lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Those freakin Texas boosters
eli#10
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by eli#10 »

What has Cal done lately to even deserve consideration for something like the Texas job? He gets a top 5 recruiting class each year and probably has one of the top 5 bball facilities in the country and has not done anything special the last 4-5 years. This week UK is ranked 23rd in one poll and not even ranked in the other major poll. No final four since 2015 and certainly not getting there this year. Also lost to powerhouse St Peters last year in the tourney.
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

"I haven't talked to anybody," Calipari said Monday. "My concern right now is my guys, my team (and) getting this right.“

Sounds Hurley-esc circa 2018.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago "I haven't talked to anybody," Calipari said Monday. "My concern right now is my guys, my team (and) getting this right.“

As a related article quoted, the key word is "I". That is how the Coaches handle this type of thing, just like Hurley did. Other people are doing the talking for them.
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago "I haven't talked to anybody," Calipari said Monday. "My concern right now is my guys, my team (and) getting this right.“

leading right up to the 'give two-schnitts' moment :lol:
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Cal been there forever I think he’s gone
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

This is several weeks old but of local interest. It assumes that Stony Brook will fire Geno Ford after an 11-21 season.

Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Perfect time for Grasso to jump ship.
GO RAMS
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Perfect time for Grasso to jump ship.
His ship has already sunk.

Grasso and Rhody Vault are now paddling around in a lifeboat.
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Dwayne Killings is going to be out at Albany after a tumultuous couple of seasons. That’s a decent job with a solid recruiting base, maybe for an assistant turned first time head coach. I wonder if they’ll go after someone with more experience, though, after the Killings experiment didn’t work out on or off the court
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago Dwayne Killings is going to be out at Albany after a tumultuous couple of seasons. That’s a decent job with a solid recruiting base, maybe for an assistant turned first time head coach. I wonder if they’ll go after someone with more experience, though, after the Killings experiment didn’t work out on or off the court
Ace, I could see David Cox (DC) grabbing a job like this or similar, if he decides to take another stab at leading a program. I think this type of job would be a good fit for him eventually.

That said, this year is too soon, imo.

Do you think he will eventually want to be a HC again?
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago
ace wrote: 1 year ago Dwayne Killings is going to be out at Albany after a tumultuous couple of seasons. That’s a decent job with a solid recruiting base, maybe for an assistant turned first time head coach. I wonder if they’ll go after someone with more experience, though, after the Killings experiment didn’t work out on or off the court
Ace, I could see David Cox (DC) grabbing a job like this or similar, if he decides to take another stab at leading a program. I think this type of job would be a good fit for him eventually.

I know this wasn’t directed at me but I’d have to think the overwhelming majority of younger coaches who initially fail as a first time HC would want another shot to redeem/prove themselves.

I highly doubt Cox, or any other first time HC who failed, would flat out not want to become a head coach again. That wouldn’t make sense.
Go Rhody
LIRAM
Kenny Green

Unread post by LIRAM »

Some buzz at Stony Brook that Bethpage native and former Saint Dominic's star our very own Jim Christian is a person of interest. Jim played on some great St. Dominic teams of the early 80's for Ralph Willard. This would be a great hire for Stony Brook. Joe Jones would be really good too. The Jones brothers are both highly respected in these parts. Steve Pikiell and Jeff Boals were very good and connected with LI Coaches and the community. Geno Ford not so much. Geno was an assistant for Jim at Kent State so Jim might not want to see his friend terminated. Could be interesting.

Would love for Joe Jones to come home. Job pays around 400,000.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

I wonder if Fordham is vulnerable with Keith Urgo. Has to be a hot commodity even though this is his first year as a head coach.?
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Ace, I could see David Cox (DC) grabbing a job like this or similar, if he decides to take another stab at leading a program. I think this type of job would be a good fit for him eventually.

I think so. There were a few red flags from the start (even if a few people here got mad when they were pointed out). Saying he planned on acting like an assistant and a head coach was one. Smart people learn from experiences, good and bad, and he’s clearly a smart guy, so I imagine the next job would be more successful. The problem will be getting that opportunity. Some types of coaches are marked as “assistants only” more easily than others, so someone would have to be convinced to give him another shot. His overall tenure at URI was disappointing but not a disaster. That may be unpopular to say here, but I think it’s true.
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

I’d throw admitting to the media that your star player basically ignored your end of game instruction and seeming ok with it.
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

I hope Preston Murphy will land an assistant's position for 23-24 since his 2-year show cause penalty will have expired.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I’d throw admitting to the media that your star player basically ignored your end of game instruction and seeming ok with it.
Or admitting to the media 3 years later that you had no idea your opponent's best player wasn't playing when he had been out for a week, announced 24 hours before the game to not be playing, wasn't dressed for warmups, and played a whole game of basketball without adjusting to that simple fact.
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
bigappleram wrote: 1 year ago I’d throw admitting to the media that your star player basically ignored your end of game instruction and seeming ok with it.
Or admitting to the media 3 years later that you had no idea your opponent's best player wasn't playing when he had been out for a week, announced 24 hours before the game to not be playing, wasn't dressed for warmups, and played a whole game of basketball without adjusting to that simple fact.
That was the moment for me when I think Cox realized he was in way over his head and knew he was eventually getting canned so he just gave up
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I guess Cox could be a head guy @ a low D1 program if he wants or maybe just stay a P6 assistant
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

ace wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago Ace, I could see David Cox (DC) grabbing a job like this or similar, if he decides to take another stab at leading a program. I think this type of job would be a good fit for him eventually.

I think so. There were a few red flags from the start (even if a few people here got mad when they were pointed out). Saying he planned on acting like an assistant and a head coach was one. Smart people learn from experiences, good and bad, and he’s clearly a smart guy, so I imagine the next job would be more successful. The problem will be getting that opportunity. Some types of coaches are marked as “assistants only” more easily than others, so someone would have to be convinced to give him another shot. His overall tenure at URI was disappointing but not a disaster. That may be unpopular to say here, but I think it’s true.
Thanks for the response, Ace. I appreciate your thoughts on DC.
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
That was the moment for me when I think Cox realized he was in way over his head and knew he was eventually getting canned so he just gave up
And that should have been a firing offense considering the year we had, the lack of improvement in his first three years and the roster turnover in his first three years, and yet we brought him back for a whole other season
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

reef wrote: 1 year ago I guess Cox could be a head guy @ a low D1 program if he wants or maybe just stay a P6 assistant

A level more suited to him currently where he can grow as a HC and prove himself. Makes good sense, Reef.

Conversely, it wouldn’t shock me if he remained a P6 assistant - especially if he is very good at it - for an extended period. It’s not a bad gig unless you are working for a Pitino type who will through you under the bus at the drop of a hat.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

According to Md, Cox is only making 400k this year.
McRam
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by McRam »

A further note on Urgo, understand that he is currently around $800k
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

A December 2022 Ryan Center visitor. His Army team lost to URI 77-67.

RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »