2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

We have moved on to 2023 but the Carousel never stops turning!
Jersey77 wrote:Chris Beard is most likely gone, along with his HC career at least for the near future or until this blows over.
Maybe Texas wishes Shaka was still there.
Jeff Borzello of ESPN wrote about this development:
https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... hris-beard
3 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Texas has very deep pockets, there will be no shortage of qualified candidates.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

He was fired with cause so Texas doesn’t have to pay him correct ??
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Who’s on their radar?

No duckin’ Texas?????
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 year ago He was fired with cause so Texas doesn’t have to pay him correct ??
Depends on how "cause" is defined in his contract. The significant other recanting and declining to press charges muddies the waters a bit now.
0 x
adam914
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by adam914 »

Here's to hoping this is not a carousel we need to ride again any time soon!
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago He was fired with cause so Texas doesn’t have to pay him correct ??
I'm thinking pockets are so big at Texas....does it really matter?
For most, paying a bunch of extra millions of $$ might give one cause to pause. I just don't believe it's a factor at Texas.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
For most, paying a bunch of extra millions of $$ might give one cause to pause. I just don't believe it's a factor at Texas.
They do have deep deep pockets will be interesting to see who gets that job next season
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
They do have deep deep pockets will be interesting to see who gets that job next season
Richard Pitino? He's been successful at New Mexico.
0 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

They could probably hire anyone they want with just the loose change from the football couch.
1 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago

Or throw a brinks truck at Kelvin Sampson?
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

None of the names seem like home runs, imho. Maybe the coaching cupboard is sparse this year or it’s just too early?

No #whoduckin’ Ed?

Big Ed for the big state of Texas. Sounds like a natural to me.

I say send Grasso down there - just for the shits and giggles value. I’d enjoy it. Great TV. :lol:
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago None of the names seem like home runs, imho. Maybe the coaching cupboard is sparse this year or it’s just too early?

No #whoduckin’ Ed?

Big Ed for the big state of Texas. Sounds like a natural to me.

I say send Grasso down there - just for the shits and giggles value. I’d enjoy it. :lol:
I can’t imagine there will be any “Ed Cooley to anywhere” rumors at this point.

He’s making easily in the top 5% of coaches, at home, has a lifetime contract, will probably have a statue, a national COY, and has no problem recruiting NBA caliber talent for tourney runs.

Last year was expected imo, he had a team of 23 year olds. This year might be a better coaching job, potentially his best.

He could be a name some schools would want to poach, but PC won’t let him go anywhere and I’m sure at this point he doesn’t want to.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Damn, BM. How’s anyone supposed to stir the rumor mill with these well reasoned posts populating KB.

Gosh darn it! Where’s the Vault when you need him ?! Still have another 24 plus hours to kill until the next Rhody game and I got nothin’!
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

RhodyKyle wrote: 1 year ago
Cameron_Dollar wrote: 1 year ago

Or throw a brinks truck at Kelvin Sampson?
I like that call
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

0 x
GO RAMS
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Slick Rick and Cooley mentioned.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... town-fixed
I know he doesn’t work for them anymore, but Jeff Goodman has been pushing Cooley to Georgetown for a couple years now. Says it’s a Top 10 job in America.

Just can’t see that making sense for Cooley at all.
3 x
Go Rhody
UCH21377
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by UCH21377 »

Cooley would be crazy to move anywhere. Georgetown a top ten job? Maybe 30 years ago.
3 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Cooley is not going anywhere... He has the keys to the State and all the unknown perks at PC make him a CFL!
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Could the answer be Rick Pitino? He likely has one more big job in him before retiring, and he's proven at Iona that he's still arguably the best basketball coach of his generation. A call to Providence's Ed Cooley is also worth a shot. He's done an incredible job with the Friars and -- perhaps more importantly for the sake of this discussion -- developed a relationship with the late Big John over the course of his career. --Jeff Borzello
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

Could the answer be Rick Pitino? He likely has one more big job in him before retiring, and he's proven at Iona that he's still arguably the best basketball coach of his generation. A call to Providence's Ed Cooley is also worth a shot. He's done an incredible job with the Friars and -- perhaps more importantly for the sake of this discussion -- developed a relationship with the late Big John over the course of his career. --Jeff Borzello
I think Borzello is losing his mind if he thinks Cooley would have any interest in ever leaving PC for Georgetown, if Ewing is let go.
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I will be highly surprised if Cools or Slick Rick is the next Gtown coach
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

Unread post by SGreenwell »

I agree that Cooley to Georgetown doesn't really make any sense. That seems like a lateral move, or worse - Way higher expectations, but not necessarily any better resources to accomplish them. As long as PC keeps bumping his salary up, I don't see why he moves unless it's for a true "blue blood" kind of job. (Not that they're coming open any time soon, but, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, that kind of job.) Texas pays that way, but I think that's kind of like the Indiana job, where you're under pressure from day one to win and win big.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Money to buy out their current basketball coach or pay the buyout for their future coach is not an issue for a top FBS university. It is not even a consideration.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago I agree that Cooley to Georgetown doesn't really make any sense. That seems like a lateral move, or worse - Way higher expectations, but not necessarily any better resources to accomplish them. As long as PC keeps bumping his salary up, I don't see why he moves unless it's for a true "blue blood" kind of job. (Not that they're coming open any time soon, but, Kentucky, UNC, Duke, that kind of job.) Texas pays that way, but I think that's kind of like the Indiana job, where you're under pressure from day one to win and win big.

Texas basketball and Indiana basketball aren’t really close regarding expectations.

Indiana is a basketball school, always has been always will be. Instant pressure with that job.

Texas obviously will always be a football school. Not nearly as much pressure to win in basketball.

Shaka lasted 6 years with no tournament wins.
0 x
Go Rhody
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I can't see Cooley leaving for D.C. or really anywhere outside of the RI/Mass/Conn tristate area. And since there are not many programs better than where he is currently at in this region, they are plenty safe.

I met his mom a few months back at my workplace. Not long before I saw Don Kaull. His entire life is here, he's not about to pick up and leave and go to some other corner of the country at this stage of his life unless he were to be forced out against his will. He might use these opportunities to advance his salary, however.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley would be crazy to move anywhere. Georgetown a top ten job? Maybe 30 years ago.
Georgetown is an absolute tire fire right now. Why would Ed (or anyone, really) want to blow up what they have to go and try and fix that mess?
0 x
Cameron_Dollar
Lamar Odom

Unread post by Cameron_Dollar »

UCH21377 wrote: 1 year ago Cooley would be crazy to move anywhere. Georgetown a top ten job? Maybe 30 years ago.
PC has surpassed Georgetown and a number of other schools that were considered better jobs. The facilies are on the top of non football school lists. They are truly amazing. They have 4 or five local alumni doing a great job with the NIL and it pains me to say the former Dunk and now AMP offers a tremenous home court advantge(25-1) over last 26 games. And he has a veteran staff that is extremly loyal to him. And above all, has complete support from the entire administration. I don't think he's going anywhere unless Joe Mazzula flames out; And I certainly don't want or see that happening anytime soon.
0 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I would say Georgetown has the history, plus a larger home venue, fan base, they play in the Country's capital, and have a higher ceiling for success. It would take a pretty penny to get Cooley to DC though.
0 x
GO RAMS
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I would say Georgetown has the history, plus a larger home venue, fan base, they play in the Country's capital, and have a higher ceiling for success. It would take a pretty penny to get Cooley to DC though.
Not happening.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Are people actually considering that Ed Cooley - who effectively has a lifetime contract at PC, has produced a consistent winner, in a top basketball conference, is probably top 15 in current salary, and oh yeah...is literally coaching in his home town - would go anywhere?

He was literally the national COY last year. His stock at that point is the highest it's ever been or potentially could be. He's literally the reigning best coach in basketball. He took PC the furthest they've been in 2+ decades. He was also losing almost his whole team. If he was going to leave - it would've been then.

Instead, he renegotiated a presumed lifetime contract extension, recruited hard, and now has another NCAA team.

Ed Cooley is a brand at this point. He's synonymous with PC.

This is like starting Bob Huggins to ________ rumors. It's not happening.

Cameron_Dollar nailed it. Like it or not PC has become a top 5 non-P5 job. To be honest - it's easily a top 40 job by itself, if not top 25 - just based on facilities/conference alone. For Ed? I don't even know if it's a job he could rank...it's literally his home town team. Their facilities are above the middle of the P5. They have boosters who will spend. I hate the AMP as an arena for most of their seating if you're not in the 100's on the court - but they fill it up and it gets loud. Why would he take on a rebuild? Why would he leave home? This is easily a top 3 or top 5 job for him - without any pressure to prove anything. The longer he stays the bigger his statue and the more streets they name after him in Providence.
2 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

1 x
bigappleram
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by bigappleram »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I would say Georgetown has the history, plus a larger home venue, fan base, they play in the Country's capital, and have a higher ceiling for success. It would take a pretty penny to get Cooley to DC though.
The only thing Georgetown has is Big John and the historic place it has had with black coaches. That is the only thing it has that PC doesn’t. And I don’t think the black coach legacy thing is enough to lure Cooley.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago
It is quite the job to be open during the season. Texas was ranked 6th last week, 10th this week.

Pretty unusual to have a Top 10 AP Ranked Team Job open up at midseason. The norm is the HC Job is open because the team is performing poorly - not in this case.

And then Kentucky opens up mid-season and then the dominoes continue to fall.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

It is quite the job to be open during the season. Texas was ranked 6th last week, 10th this week.

Pretty unusual to have a Top 10 AP Ranked Team Job open up at midseason. The norm is the HC Job is open because the team is performing poorly - not in this case.

Wow actually makes sense , Cal been @ Kentucky for quite awhile I can see him being interested
0 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

FWIW, SI.com is now run by a trashy hedge fund company, so it's only slightly more trustworthy than those random "news sites" that churn out AI-generated articles. The linked article is SI repurposing some tweets from a 247 sports reporter, and boils down to "well someone from Texas contacted someone who knows Calipari," which, well, sure. I don't think it signifies any major smoke or momentum for this actually happening.
2 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, SI.com is now run by a trashy hedge fund company, so it's only slightly more trustworthy than those random "news sites" that churn out AI-generated articles. The linked article is SI repurposing some tweets from a 247 sports reporter, and boils down to "well someone from Texas contacted someone who knows Calipari," which, well, sure. I don't think it signifies any major smoke or momentum for this actually happening.
BlackRock the biggest owner

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/11/bla ... rands.html
1 x
SGreenwell
Sly Williams

SGreenwell wrote: 1 year ago FWIW, SI.com is now run by a trashy hedge fund company, so it's only slightly more trustworthy than those random "news sites" that churn out AI-generated articles. The linked article is SI repurposing some tweets from a 247 sports reporter, and boils down to "well someone from Texas contacted someone who knows Calipari," which, well, sure. I don't think it signifies any major smoke or momentum for this actually happening.
BlackRock the biggest owner

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/08/11/bla ... rands.html
They then licensed it to some company called Maven that does the day-to-day operation. You can read a delightful piece on their wonderfulness here, like employing Ron Borges as well as a 17-year-old they didn't properly vet.
0 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Wow what a story about Maven. Thanks for sharing, Steve.
1 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Kentucky lost as a 20 point favorite , maybe it is Cal last year @ Kentucky ??
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

"It's gotten so bad at Kentucky, even Wildcats fans are urging John Calipari to leave"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... TD6-fSsEhB
1 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago "It's gotten so bad at Kentucky, even Wildcats fans are urging John Calipari to leave"
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... TD6-fSsEhB
Wow 77 last nights lost was certainly shocking
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I think UK fans are finally tired of him, his Shtick and he’s become too comfortable there, imho.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I think UK fans are finally tired of him, his Shtick and he’s become too comfortable there, imho.
Yup 14 years is a long time definitely can see Cal making a move
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I think UK fans are finally tired of him, his Shtick and he’s become too comfortable there, imho.
Kornheiser asked Wilbon if he thought it was Calipari’s last year at Kentucky.
“I think it could, but more important than seeing it as his last year, I just privately — or not privately because I’m saying it — I hope it’s his last year,” Wilbon said. “John Calipari, with the transfer portal being what it is, and how it reshapes college sports particularly in college football and basketball — in other sports but particularly those — John Calipari, as great a coach as he is, as great a recruiter, attractor of talent, John Calipari is like a pop-up store.
“He could go any damn place in America, and he’s a northeastern guy largely, he could go anywhere and set up shop and in one season be in the tournament and be a threat to win the tournament.”

https://www.yahoo.com/news/michael-wilb ... 48182.html
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

I wonder who Georgetown will look at if they and Ewing decide to part ways?
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder who Georgetown will look at if they and Ewing decide to part ways?
I think there best move would be to look totally outside of and not connected to their past glory. Time for an outsider.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

section(105) wrote: 1 year ago
Jdrums#3 wrote: 1 year ago I wonder who Georgetown will look at if they and Ewing decide to part ways?
I think there best move would be to look totally outside of and not connected to their past glory. Time for an outsider.
They're totally hiring Iverson :lol: :lol: :lol:

At least the pressers would be electric.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
rambone 78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by rambone 78 »

I can see Calipari leaving for Texas. It's gotten stale in Kentucky, and although he makes big money there, money is certainly no issue with Texas, they could make a massive offer for sure.
1 x