2023 Coaching Carousel

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago Will this put Huggy on the hot seat?

https://awfulannouncing.com/ncaa/bob-hu ... -slur.html
It should!!
1 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 11 months ago

It should!!
He’s issued an apology. We’ll see if that helps.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

I'm guessing he's gone...if it were directed at another group, he would have been gone yesterday, even though he didn't launch his verbal diarrhea
until today :lol:
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

It is West Virginia. Huggy is not getting fired. If anything, these comments probably made him even more popular with the residents of the state.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

RF1 wrote: 11 months ago It is West Virginia. Huggy is not getting fired. If anything, these comments probably made him even more popular with the residents of the state.
1 x
ATPTourFan
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ATPTourFan »

Let's see what happens, but I wouldn't think termination would come from that.
0 x
Support Coach Miller & Rhody Basketball! Give to the Athletic Director's Fund
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I found the guys on the radio show Huggins was interacting with were enjoying the back and forth. Seems much about nothing.
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Huggy keeps his job but with some penalties.

1 x
Slava Ukraini!
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

ramster wrote: 11 months ago I found the guys on the radio show Huggins was interacting with were enjoying the back and forth. Seems much about nothing.
I mean, you can’t say that word in 2023, that’s about as obvious as anything these days.

I’m just glad he didn’t get fired.
0 x
Go Rhody
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Wow! Surprised they took it so seriously. I thought they would give him a "reprimand" and some puff suspension.
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

A million bucks, I don't care if you're already very wealthy, that's a lot of scratch!
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
CaptainRon
Kenny Green

Unread post by CaptainRon »

Wouldn’t survive that here.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Given that contract situation, he's probably gone after this season.
2 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Guess it depends on where you are and what group you offend. I think anywhere in New England he'd have been gone. We're waaaaay too uptight in these parts to tolerate that shizzle...
1 x
PlayMikeMotenMore
Tom Garrick

Unread post by PlayMikeMotenMore »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago Guess it depends on where you are and what group you offend. I think anywhere in New England he'd have been gone. We're waaaaay too uptight in these parts to tolerate that shizzle...
Being uptight has nothing to do with finding what Huggins said offensive. Imagine a college professor talking like he did, regardless of the university and where it is located. That professor would be gone.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

PlayMikeMotenMore wrote: 11 months ago
NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago Guess it depends on where you are and what group you offend. I think anywhere in New England he'd have been gone. We're waaaaay too uptight in these parts to tolerate that shizzle...
Being uptight has nothing to do with finding what Huggins said offensive. Imagine a college professor talking like he did, regardless of the university and where it is located. That professor would be gone.
There’s double standards everywhere in life.

Some people can and will get away with more things than others.

All depends how replaceable you are and if you can match the production.

Is it fair? Who’s to say. Just the way of the world.
0 x
Go Rhody
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I think you're wrong. Your location and setting totally matters (and of course your value and replaceability) A WVU professor wouldn't have lost his job either. A Rhody prof, BC, UNH....probs gone, but where Huggs is, tolerated, now with precedent.

Btw, I don't think he should have been fired and a milly fine is just silly...if I had the cash he does I'd probably just say eff it, see y'all...then again, I might just say eff it, you clowns are stuck with me now. The effect of fining him a million actually just solidifies how much they don't want him going anywhere

0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 11 months ago
I think you're wrong. Your location and setting totally matters (and of course your value and replaceability) A WVU professor wouldn't have lost his job either. A Rhody prof, BC, UNH....probs gone, but where Huggs is, tolerated, now with precedent.

Btw, I don't think he should have been fired and a milly fine is just silly...if I had the cash he does I'd probably just say eff it, see y'all...then again, I might just say eff it, you clowns are stuck with me now. The effect of fining him a million actually just solidifies how much they don't want him going anywhere

Curious now what punishment you would have levied against him for casually dropping a gay slur multiple times? Him saying that word three separate times shows it wasn't a mistake/lapse in judgment.

Personally I think the $1 million reduction in compensation and (allegedly) losing his emeritus status is an appropriate punishment. Given the length of the suspension and who their opponents are, I thought it was perfunctory but the rest of the punishment was fair.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Mike Anderson is suing the Johnnies for 46 M for firing him with cause , hope he gets paid !!
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

RhodyKyle wrote: 11 months ago

Curious now what punishment you would have levied against him for casually dropping a gay slur multiple times? Him saying that word three separate times shows it wasn't a mistake/lapse in judgment.

Personally I think the $1 million reduction in compensation and (allegedly) losing his emeritus status is an appropriate punishment. Given the length of the suspension and who their opponents are, I thought it was perfunctory but the rest of the punishment was fair.
I just hope WVU stays to their new code of conduct and never books a musical act or entertainer to appear on their campus who's ever uttered a mean word! THE HORROR!! WORDS!!!
1 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Blue Man wrote: 11 months ago

I just hope WVU stays to their new code of conduct and never books a musical act or entertainer to appear on their campus who's ever uttered a mean word! THE HORROR!! WORDS!!!
I don't know....when R72 called you a racist, you seemed to get real upset at WORDS
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Using the subjective judgment of (supposedly) free speech as a means to discipline and fire people...is one of, if not The worst things to happen in America in the last 20 years. You either have to fire the guy because you "can't have that" (because you think you know everything people should and shouldn't be allowed to say), say, "we don't agree, not what we're about, so we fired him." Or, "we don't agree, but, he's the hoops coach...free speech...talk to him." I don't think you "punish" a guy for free speech, but I know that is a seriously minority viewpoint (especially in these parts ;) )

ETA: This whole situation shows the condition of "free speech." Huggy can say that, keep his job and position...has to pay a mil. So, it's not like he couldn't say it, they don't really mind that...they just want a million dollars for it.
0 x
Dino611
Tom Garrick

Unread post by Dino611 »

Also i don’t know where I saw it but I’ve seen some people say this is Huggys last ride this year before this whole entire controversy this week
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago Also i don’t know where I saw it but I’ve seen some people say this is Huggys last ride this year before this whole entire controversy this week
Roll, Huggy, roll...good grief, these folks that are so wound by this now...need to spend some time in a frat house.... shnit talk happens, stop being so "offended on behalf of someone else"
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Dino611 wrote: 11 months ago Also i don’t know where I saw it but I’ve seen some people say this is Huggys last ride this year before this whole entire controversy this week
Roll, Huggy, roll...good grief, these folks that are so wound by this now...need to spend some time in a frat house.... shnit talk happens, stop being so "offended on behalf of someone else"
There’s a big difference between private joking around among college friends and making such remarks on a public platform, especially by a veteran coach.
2 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago
There’s a big difference between private joking around among college friends and making such remarks on a public platform, especially by a veteran coach.
why? seriously...why? And I don't even think woke America really even allows for that anymore....Say something like that in a frat in 2023...get elected to a town office in 2030....run for a public office in 2032, and there'll be folks saying, "he said 'fag' in 2023..." It's crazy
0 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

If you don’t understand the difference I don’t know what to say ….
3 x
Slava Ukraini!
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago If you don’t understand the difference I don’t know what to say ….
right...because it's all about "who's judgment falls upon said speech"....it's not about 'the words', it's about who hears, and who cares...which is totally effed. "Someone else" should not decide what I find offensive....
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Rhody74 wrote: 11 months ago If you don’t understand the difference I don’t know what to say ….
right...because it's all about "who's judgment falls upon said speech"....it's not about 'the words', it's about who hears, and who cares...which is totally effed. "Someone else" should not decide what I find offensive....
Then we should stop banning books, right.

"Free speech" as a 1A right means Huggy can't be arrested and jailed for saying that word, but it doesn't absolve him from consequences for saying something a majority of people don't like.

I don't think he should have been fired at all for this but to clutch pearls over him being disciplined is strange.
4 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Then we should stop banning books, right.

"Free speech" as a 1A right means Huggy can't be arrested and jailed for saying that word, but it doesn't absolve him from consequences for saying something a majority of people don't like.

I don't think he should have been fired at all for this but to clutch pearls over him being disciplined is strange.
I just think it's half-assed and kinda spineless. It's way less about what he said than the money. They want to look like "the good university"....but there's too much cash at stake to fire the coach. But, if his salary was $250K instead of $4.5M, they'd have fired him on the spot probably.

Oh, so, now, can every other coach in America feel safe to say that, provided they're willing to pony up $1M?
0 x
Billyboy78
Frank Keaney

Unread post by Billyboy78 »

So, Doc Rivers got fired by Philly today and there's a PC fan on twitter suggesting that Cooley could leave Georgetown for that job.
0 x
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Billyboy78 wrote: 11 months ago So, Doc Rivers got fired by Philly today and there's a PC fan on twitter suggesting that Cooley could leave Georgetown for that job.
They may have thought Rob Dauster's obvious joke was serious for some reason.

0 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Using the subjective judgment of (supposedly) free speech as a means to discipline and fire people...is one of, if not The worst things to happen in America in the last 20 years. You either have to fire the guy because you "can't have that" (because you think you know everything people should and shouldn't be allowed to say), say, "we don't agree, not what we're about, so we fired him." Or, "we don't agree, but, he's the hoops coach...free speech...talk to him." I don't think you "punish" a guy for free speech, but I know that is a seriously minority viewpoint (especially in these parts ;) )

ETA: This whole situation shows the condition of "free speech." Huggy can say that, keep his job and position...has to pay a mil. So, it's not like he couldn't say it, they don't really mind that...they just want a million dollars for it.
This post is a perfect example of how most people have literally no fucking clue what free speech means. Free speech means for the most part you can say whatever you want, it doesn't mean being free from consequences when you say whatever you want. Huggins fucked around being an asshole on the radio, and he found out when West Virginia chopped his salary down $1 million
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago

This post is a perfect example of how most people have literally no fucking clue what free speech means. Free speech means for the most part you can say whatever you want, it doesn't mean being free from consequences when you say whatever you want. Huggins fucked around being an asshole on the radio, and he found out when West Virginia chopped his salary down $1 million
And a comedian could say pretty much the same thing and get paid for it.... Posers.
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 11 months ago

And a comedian could say pretty much the same thing and get paid for it.... Posers.
Remember Michael Richards? Everyone's beloved Cosmo Kramer? He had a racist meltdown on stage where he got paid that night. What's he been up to since? (Hint: literally nothing, he killed his stand-up career that night)
1 x
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

Just wondering, how many of current head coaches in the BE prior coaching job was in the A10?
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

rjv wrote: 11 months ago Just wondering, how many of current head coaches in the BE prior coaching job was in the A10?
6 current BE head coaches were at one time A10 HC's:
Dan Hurley (URI)
Sean Miller (Xavier)
Thad Matta (Xavier)
Kyle Neptune (Fordham)
Kim English (GM)
Shaka Smart (VCU)

*Ed Cooley was a URI assistant coach.
0 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Just wondering, who as former head BE coaches went to the A-1? Steve Lappas, Nova to UMass? Memory shot here.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
rjv
Jimmy Baron

Unread post by rjv »

So I guess more then half the current BE coaches were A10 coaches....hmmmmm and 3 went directly to BE from A10 in the last 5 years, I believe
0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Jersey77 wrote: 11 months ago
rjv wrote: 11 months ago Just wondering, how many of current head coaches in the BE prior coaching job was in the A10?
6 current BE head coaches were at one time A10 HC's:
Dan Hurley (URI)
Sean Miller (Xavier)
Thad Matta (Xavier)
Kyle Neptune (Fordham)
Kim English (GM)
Shaka Smart (VCU)

*Ed Cooley was a URI assistant coach.

3 current BE Schools were at one time in the Eastern-8/A-10:
Villanova
Xavier
Butler

I sense a certain pattern emerging. I suspect that BE player rosters will follow this as well.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Maybe the BE should be renamed the Big A10. :lol:

I think that is how I will refer to it going forward.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

A good listen interview Rothstein and Cooley

Cooley talks about how both he and John Thompson viewed the Georgetown program very highly for a long time

Cooley says both of his children are living in the area now so his whole immediate family is there but he does miss his mother in RI and other relatives.

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

Charlotte used to be a decent job 20 some odd years ago. It hasn't done much in the last two decades unless you consider winning the CBI this past year an accomplishment. Has had more losing seasons than winning seasons in the years since leaving the A-10 to pursue FBS football in CUSA. Now headed to a revamped AAC that will be without Houston, Cinci, and UCF.
1 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

ramster wrote: 10 months ago A good listen interview Rothstein and Cooley

Cooley talks about how both he and John Thompson viewed the Georgetown program very highly for a long time

Cooley says both of his children are living in the area now so his whole immediate family is there but he does miss his mother in RI and other relatives.

I'm sure he misses his side piece as well, but at least DC is crawling with hoors (Ralph Cipheretto/Frank Reynolds voice)
0 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

0 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

WVU head men's basketball coach Bob Huggins arrested for DUI
by LESLIE RUBINS June 17th 2023, 9:29 AM EDT
https://wchstv.com/news/local/wvu-head- ... ed-for-dui
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago WVU head men's basketball coach Bob Huggins arrested for DUI
I believe the Huggs has coached his last game...
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

RF1 wrote: 10 months ago WVU head men's basketball coach Bob Huggins arrested for DUI
This is becoming somewhat of a tradition for Huggy Bear
0 x
rhodyrudder
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by rhodyrudder »

If WVU fines him another mill…
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

After this and what happened last month, I guess Huggy will be shown the door by WVU.

I wonder who WVU will target for HC ? Or, will they elevate an assistant ?
0 x