Lincoln Almond 1936-2023

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Lincoln Almond 1936-2023

Unread post by RF1 »

URI Class of 1959 Alumnus and former Governor of RI Lincoln Almond has died. He was born in Pawtucket and grew up in Central Falls later becoming Town Administrator of Lincoln. He was elected as the 72nd governor and took office in 1995 and served two four year terms.

Almond was instrumental in getting the Ryan Center built with it being approved, constructed, and opened during his tenure as governor. The plaza in front of the arena is named in his honor for his efforts.

For much of the history of the Ryan Center, Almond could be regularly seen in his seats along with his fellow alum wife Marylin watching the men's basketball games cheering on his beloved Rams.

Former RI Gov. Lincoln Almond dies at 86
https://www.wpri.com/news/politics/form ... ies-at-86/
Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
5 x
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Re: Lincoln Almond 1936-2023

Unread post by Rhody74 »

May he rest in peace. He was a good man and public servant.
6 x
Slava Ukraini!
Iggy1979
Sly Williams

RIP Lincoln Almond

Unread post by Iggy1979 »

Big supporter of URI and the construction of the Ryan Center. Was always nice to see him in his seat.
17 x
"Every season, college basketball has one or two teams that rise from dormancy to relevancy, squads that make long-awaited charges at the NCAA Tournament and become really fun storylines along the way."
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Re: RIP Lincoln Almond

Unread post by Blue Man »

Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Big supporter of URI and the construction of the Ryan Center. Was always nice to see him in his seat.
The plaza is aptly named. RIP to a great one. There are not many RI politicians who proudly supported URI and went to bat for us like he did.
8 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
damram
Kenny Green

Unread post by damram »

I wish that there will be more friends of URI in our state government like him. RIP.
7 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Agreed. I will always be grateful for his support of our flagship state university. RIP, Mr. Governor.
3 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

It's pretty much inconceivable that he's the only URI graduate to be RI governor. What other flagships have that disconnect with the governor's position?
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
LoveThoseRams
Tom Garrick

Unread post by LoveThoseRams »

Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago May he rest in peace. He was a good man and public servant.
I had the pleasure of working with him while he was the US Attorney and then once he became Governor. His support of me and my career changed the trajectory of my life. A fine gentleman.
7 x
Rhode_Island_Red
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhode_Island_Red »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago It's pretty much inconceivable that he's the only URI graduate to be RI governor. What other flagships have that disconnect with the governor's position?
What other flagship has that disconnect with their whole state?
2 x
Proudly supplying the Internet with online wisecracks, impertinent comments and loathing of all things mental hospital since 1996.
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

His obituary:

https://www.averystortifuneralhome.com/ ... ituaryInfo

Several URI mentions in it:

he attended the University of Rhode Island

He was a diehard Rhody Rams basketball fan and a fixture for years in Section 213 at the Ryan Center. Go Rhody!

In Governor Almond’s memory, donations may be made to the Governor and Mrs. Lincoln Almond Scholarship Fund through the URI Foundation, 79 Upper College Rd., Kingston, RI, 02881. The Fund supports scholarships to Rhode Island resident students in financial need.
3 x
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody74 wrote: 1 year ago May he rest in peace. He was a good man and public servant.
I had the pleasure of working with him while he was the US Attorney and then once he became Governor. His support of me and my career changed the trajectory of my life. A fine gentleman.
That’s wonderful to hear! You’re one tenacious and savvy lady. 💕

He came and spoke at a few of my poli sci lectures. He did a great job of engaging people and was very kind. He was always a staple at games.

I thought he was an excellent governor, we wouldn’t have the Ryan Center without him!

I also thoroughly agree with what RR2 said about the overall lack of connection the university has with our politicians. It’s sad to see and it seems that the university is still an oversight - even though McKee is an alum! Now that he has started his first real term it’s time for him to do more things (on campus housing and parking).
2 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

Taylor Swift wrote: 1 year ago
LoveThoseRams wrote: 1 year ago
That’s wonderful to hear! You’re one tenacious and savvy lady. 💕

He came and spoke at a few of my poli sci lectures. He did a great job of engaging people and was very kind. He was always a staple at games.

I thought he was an excellent governor, we wouldn’t have the Ryan Center without him!

I also thoroughly agree with what RR2 said about the overall lack of connection the university has with our politicians. It’s sad to see and it seems that the university is still an oversight - even though McKee is an alum! Now that he has started his first real term it’s time for him to do more things (on campus housing and parking).
McKee went to Assumption and Harvard, but the good news is he at least knows where the University is as opposed to some other governors
1 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
Iggy1979 wrote: 1 year ago Big supporter of URI and the construction of the Ryan Center. Was always nice to see him in his seat.
The plaza is aptly named. RIP to a great one. There are not many RI politicians who proudly supported URI and went to bat for us like he did.
Went to games. He lived in Kingston, just off North Road just off the campus. Also had a home on Cape Cod in South Wellfleet. Great man.
2 x