12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
spookydog
Tom Garrick

12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by spookydog »

University of Rhode Island vs Georgia State University
GSU Convocation Center, Atlanta, GA
Sunday, December 18, 2022
2:00PM

Media
TV: N/A
Online: ESPN +
Radio: Tune In Radio
App: Varsity Network

Previews:
Georgia St Fan Forum

The University of Rhode Island Rams head to the Peach State to take on Georgia State Sunday afternoon. This game closes out a home & home series where the Panthers came to the Ryan Center shorthanded from COVID & lost by 35 last season. Georgia State is the second Sun Belt team Rhody has played this season after losing to Texas State earlier this year. The Panthers were picked to finish 5th in the Sun Belt. With the exception of losing at Northeastern by 20, Georgia State has played solid this year. They lost to Georgia Tech by just 2 at home & played Auburn tough on the road Wednesday night where they lead by 6 early in the second half but ended up losing by 8. Including the Georgia Tech game, they have had 3 losses by 2 or less points. One of those losses came after missing the front end of a 1 and 1 with a few seconds to go (the teams only FT miss of the game) & Eastern Kentucky buried a game winning half court buzzer beater. After playing Rhody this weekend, Georgia State has a very interesting matchup next week against the ex-Celtic player Tacko Fall. Oh wait, I misread that…they are playing the Christian college, Toccoa Falls. My bad.

The Xavier transfer Dwon Odom is leading this team in minutes, scoring, assists, (and turnovers). He is only 1 for 11 from three, so Rhody can play off him on defense. Speaking of three pointers, the Panthers are even worse from deep than URI. They have less 3s made than URI & shoot it at just shy of 3% worse. Another player to keep an eye on is Ja’Heim Hudson. This 6’7” sophomore is averaging almost a double double with 11 & 9. He is their leading shot blocker who went for 23 & 11 against Georgia Tech. The other double-digit scorers on the Panthers are Brenden Tucker, the College of Charleston transfer & Jamaine Mann, the Vanderbilt transfer. Mann did miss the Auburn game Wednesday night with a sickness, but I believe should be ready for Sunday afternoon’s contest. Although playing sparingly, Georgia State does have Greg Oden’s brother, Joe Jones III, on their roster. Thanks for Rhody Rampage for passing along that information.

As for Rhody, they look to build on back-to-back wins. Although it wasn’t the prettiest of games at times, URI gritted out a victory even though they were down 6 with under 2 minutes to go. Could this team be figuring out how to play as a cohesive unit? Definitely part of this run has been the return of Jalen Cary. Another Ram that is starting to get a better feel on the court is Malik Martin. His last three games he’s been shooting the ball much better (52%) & is averaging 11.3/8.7 with just 2 total turnovers.

The Panthers, who look to avenge the drubbing they took in Kingston, will probably be favored by a point at home. This is definitely a winnable road game for the Rams. I think this is going to be a low scoring game that may come down to who takes care of the ball better & hits their free throws. Unfortunately, GSU has less turnovers per game (12.6/15.3) & hits their free throws (76.6/73.6). Will Rhody have enough to pull out the road victory? My prediction is URI 63 – GSU 60. Go Rhody!!

Opponent
Record:
5-5, 0-0 in the Sun Belt
18-10, 9-5 in the Sun Belt (Last Season)

Rankings (URI):
NCAA NET: 299 (272)
RPI: 299 (247)
KenPom: 249 (190)
BPI: 276 (242)
Sagarin: 230 (189)
Barttovik: 224 (222)

Leaders:
Points – Dwon Odom 15.8 (Soph., G)
Rebounds – Ja’Heim Hudson 8.9 (Soph., F)
Assists – Dwon Odom 3.3 (Soph., G) (3.0 TO per game)

Historical
Series: 2-1
H: 2-0, A: 0-1, N: 0-0
Most Recent Matchup: 11/27/21 94-59 W at URI
Most Recent Win Streak: 2 - URI
Match-up Predictor: 40.1% Chance of URI Winning
6 x
If there's a God, he is laughing at us
And our football team.
-Ben Folds

@CBro33
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Re: 12/18 | Georgia St | 2:00PM (ESPN+)

Unread post by Jersey77 »

I guess you can throw out last year's game.
They were missing 4 starters and barely able to field a team due to Covid.

They have a new HC Jonas Hayes who guided Xavier last season to the NIT championship as the interim head coach.

This is also a roster rebuild season for them, adding several impact transfers.

This like every other game will be a struggle for us especially being on the road.
Again, I hope we can pull this out for our 3rd straight victory.
1 x
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

The game will be played at their new 7,500 seat on campus Georgia State Convocation Center arena. The venue is nearly double the capacity of their former home. The first regular season game ever in their new arena was played against Coastal Georgia on 11/07/2022. The contest with URI will be the Panthers's ninth game in the facility. GSU played their first eight games at home before playing their last two games at Northeastern and Auburn. The new home for GSU hoops has thus far not resulted in big attendance numbers as the team has averaged only 1,796 ytd. The game with cross town Ga Tech of the ACC was their highest attended game at just 4,083.

Last edited by RF1 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
3 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

Our stats are very similar. GS has an edge in TOs and overall defense.
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The game will be played at their new 7,500 seat on campus Georgia State Convocation Center arena. The venue is nearly double the capacity of their former home. The first regular season game ever in their new arena was played against Coastal Carolina on 11/07/2022. The contest with URI will be the Panthers's ninth game in the facility. GSU played their first eight games at home before playing their last two games at Northeastern and Auburn. The new home for GSU hoops has thus far not resulted in big attendance numbers as the team has averaged only 1,796 ytd. The game with cross town Ga Tech of the ACC was their highest attended game at just 4,083.

Actually, looks a little like the RC.
4 x
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago The game will be played at their new 7,500 seat on campus Georgia State Convocation Center arena. The venue is nearly double the capacity of their former home. The first regular season game ever in their new arena was played against Coastal Carolina on 11/07/2022. The contest with URI will be the Panthers's ninth game in the facility. GSU played their first eight games at home before playing their last two games at Northeastern and Auburn. The new home for GSU hoops has thus far not resulted in big attendance numbers as the team has averaged only 1,796 ytd. The game with cross town Ga Tech of the ACC was their highest attended game at just 4,083.

4083 for Georgia Tech? I know Georgia Tech isn't what they used to be, but you had an ACC school in your new gym and you couldn't pull out more of your own fans and/or some fans from a school who's gym is under 3 miles from yours? Putrid
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago

Actually, looks a little like the RC.
Funny that's the first thing I thought as well. Nice gym.
3 x
Mobley was fouled.
SmartyBarrett
Sly Williams

Unread post by SmartyBarrett »

Feels like they play up/down to their competition.

Hung in with Georgia Tech and Auburn, but then got rocked by a not-great Northeastern team and barely knocked off Texas A&M Commerce.

So hopefully they think we suck.
1 x
section(105)
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by section(105) »

Team Rankings now has; the #198 and #13 A-10 ranked URI with 49% to won over their #252 ranked Geo. St.
0 x
Ram logo via Grist 1938
RF1
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by RF1 »

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago 4083 for Georgia Tech? I know Georgia Tech isn't what they used to be, but you had an ACC school in your new gym and you couldn't pull out more of your own fans and/or some fans from a school who's gym is under 3 miles from yours? Putrid
They historically do not draw well. GSU may in one of the nation's largest metros with some 33,000 undergraduate and graduate students at its main Atlanta campus but their athletic teams are not much supported. Most of its students are commuters and local residents have many other sports options.

Georgia State Men's Basketball Average Attendance
2021-22 | 1,314
2020-21 | 962
2019-20 | 1,947
2018-19 | 1,716
2017-18 | 1,547

Given they could not draw for nearby Ga tech of the ACC, I would not expect a big crowd for a far away URI with a 4-7 record. Furthermore, GSU had its last day of classes back on December 5th with exams ending December 13th. Their fall semester is already over and grades per their calendar will be available to students tomorrow at 5pm.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Yeah tickets for this game are dirt cheap
1 x
RI_Bred
Carlton Owens

Unread post by RI_Bred »

^ That does not sound like a recipe for a decent crowd.
1 x
Mobley was fouled.
Taylor Swift
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Taylor Swift »

RI_Bred wrote: 1 year ago ^ That does not sound like a recipe for a decent crowd.
A Sunday in Atlanta = everyone will be at the mega churches. I’ve sat in Sunday church traffic jams there.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

RF1 wrote: 1 year ago
RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago 4083 for Georgia Tech? I know Georgia Tech isn't what they used to be, but you had an ACC school in your new gym and you couldn't pull out more of your own fans and/or some fans from a school who's gym is under 3 miles from yours? Putrid
They historically do not draw well. GSU may in one of the nation's largest metros with some 33,000 undergraduate and graduate students at its main Atlanta campus but their athletic teams are not much supported. Most of its students are commuters and local residents have many other sports options.

2021-22 | 1,314
2020-21 | 962
2019-20 | 1,947
2018-19 | 1,716
2017-18 | 1,547

Given they could not draw for nearby Ga tech of the ACC, I would not expect a big crowd for a far away URI with a 4-7 record. Furthermore, GSU had its last day of classes back on December 5th with exams ending December 13th. Their fall semester is already over and grades per their calendar will be available to students tomorrow at 5pm.
With those numbers, how did they get that thing built in the first place?
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago

2021-22 | 1,314
2020-21 | 962
2019-20 | 1,947
2018-19 | 1,716
2017-18 | 1,547

With those numbers, how did they get that thing built in the first place?
Don't know with these numbers but they were trending up in attendance before Covid.
0 x
KeaneyBluBallz
Art Stephenson

Unread post by KeaneyBluBallz »

URI by 2 in OT
2 x
:lol:
RhowdyRam02
Frank Keaney

Unread post by RhowdyRam02 »

2021-22 | 1,314
2020-21 | 962
2019-20 | 1,947
2018-19 | 1,716
2017-18 | 1,547

I'm a little surprised by Georgia State's numbers, but I figured they could get Georgia Tech fans in the door, then I saw their attendance! We seem to be doing better in fan support than Georgia Tech!
0 x
Take down the Robert Carothers banner and fix the concession stand lines
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

RhowdyRam02 wrote: 1 year ago

4083 for Georgia Tech? I know Georgia Tech isn't what they used to be, but you had an ACC school in your new gym and you couldn't pull out more of your own fans and/or some fans from a school who's gym is under 3 miles from yours? Putrid
I mean Georgia Tech has been pretty awful for years now. One good season since 2010 and they suck again this year.

Georgia Tech has practically lost their entire fanbase because they've been awful at football and basketball for the better part of a decade. Then you have UGA competing for titles in football every year.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

PeterRamTime wrote: 1 year ago

I mean Georgia Tech has been pretty awful for years now. One good season since 2010 and they suck again this year.

Georgia Tech has practically lost their entire fanbase because they've been awful at football and basketball for the better part of a decade. Then you have UGA competing for titles in football every year.
On Saturday Nov 12 in downtown Atlanta:

Attendance / Event:
4,000 - 7pm - Georgia State hosted Georgia Tech Basketball
34,000 - 3:30pm Georgia Tech hosted Miami Football
50,000 ??? Estimate - 6pm - Mercedes Benz Stadium - Chris Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, Dwight Yoakam
Last edited by ramster 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

I’m pessimistic about this game , we lose 69-62
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

ramster wrote: 1 year ago

On the night of Saturday Nov 12 in downtown Atlanta:

Attendance / Event:
4,000 - Georgia State hosted Georgia Tech Basketball
34,000 - Georgia Tech hosted Miami Football
50,000 ??? Estimate - Mercedes Benz Stadium - Chris Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, Dwight Yoakam
Are you saying they didn't have good attendance because of everything going on that day?

Or it's sad that a concert drew far more than their basketball and football teams?
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Unread post by theblueram »

reef wrote: 1 year ago I’m pessimistic about this game , we lose 69-62
I actually feel good about this game Reef. Not sure why, but progress is happening and we may just take this one.
1 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

theblueram wrote: 1 year ago
I actually feel good about this game Reef. Not sure why, but progress is happening and we may just take this one.
Yeah im feeling a close win here

Another ugly game that Ish, Bray and Carey make all the difference in
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Are you both feeling optimistic regardless of Bilau's availability?
Still haven't heard about his injury or status.
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Are you both feeling optimistic whether or not Bilau is available?
Actually yeah. Samb is stepping up. We need more Carey but his turnovers are still a big issue. I feel good going into this game. We should have a shot.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Actually yeah. Samb is stepping up. We need more Carey but his turnovers are still a big issue. I feel good going into this game. We should have a shot.
Yeah, I also think we have a shot, but it's going to be tough.
If Bilau is not available, I am very concerned about our depth upfront.
Yeah, Samb is making an impact, but he still lacks experience and is prone to foul trouble.
Alex still looks a little raw and Rory hasn't played recently.

Would like to see more of Carey with his athleticism minus the turnovers.
Martin needs to hit his shots and be able to finish.
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Leggett and Carey both had 4 turnovers last game, with Leggett plating one more minute than Carey.

Carey had 1 turnover in 25 minutes against Army, his first game back.
0 x
Go Rhody
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Yeah, I also think we have a shot, but it's going to be tough.
If Bilau is not available, I am very concerned about our depth upfront.
Yeah, Samb is making an impact, but he still lacks experience and is prone to foul trouble.
Alex still looks a little raw and Rory hasn't played recently.

Would like to see more of Carey with his athleticism minus the turnovers.
Martin needs to hit his shots and be able to finish.
It's not like we have a world beater front court right now regardless of who is in. Very young up front. Play hard nosed defense and hope the guards step up and score.
0 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

SmartyBarrett wrote: 1 year ago Feels like they play up/down to their competition.

Hung in with Georgia Tech and Auburn, but then got rocked by a not-great Northeastern team and barely knocked off Texas A&M Commerce.

So hopefully they think we suck.
Smarty, I watched about a half of their game with Northeastern and they didn’t look good at all. They were being out-rebounded 22-5 in the first half and were down 17. They ended up losing 66-44. GSU made Northeastern look like world-beaters for the parts I watched (granted, there could have been GSU injuries I was not aware of for the game).

Then last night I was following their game against ranked Auburn and they were hanging tough on the road. Whaaaat?!

Basketball is a strange game sometimes.

Also, I agree with you that some teams play to the level of competition. GSU might be one such team. We shall see, but we ain’t no chopped liver no more…GSU better bring their hard hats.
Last edited by Jdrums#3 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago Leggett and Carey both had 4 turnovers last game, with Leggett plating one more minute than Carey.

Carey had 1 turnover in 25 minutes against Army, his first game back.
Hopefully Carey improves in that department.
He still has the highest turnover rate on the team.
He has averaged 1 TO every 8 minutes on the court.
In comparison Ish averages 1 TO every 13 minutes.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Yeah I hope you guys are right and I am wrong

I’m just going by them hanging with Auburn and it’s a true road game for us
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Yeah I hope you guys are right and I am wrong

I’m just going by them hanging with Auburn and it’s a true road game for us
I think the line will be no more than +2 for us. I would put money on URI with that line.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Attendance / Event:
50,000 ??? Estimate - Mercedes Benz Stadium - Chris Stapleton, Miranda Lambert, Dwight Yoakam
Are you saying they didn't have good attendance because of everything going on that day?

Or it's sad that a concert drew far more than their basketball and football teams?
I’m saying a few things:

1. Georgia State is not a big rival for GT. It’s not like Georgia or Clemson. GSU is a mid major, not P5. Not an annual game, in fact it’s unusual for Tech to play Georgia State

2. ACC is FBS Football and Football is huge in the South. 34k for Miami is more than URI draws all season? They tailgate big time before and after the game so few, if any, are going to go to a 7pm basketball game at GSU. Georgia maybe, but not GSU.

3. The concert adds to traffic and would cause people to not want to drive into the city for a Saturday night game. A lot going on that night.

URI Students: 18,061, Undergrad, 14,654 , Postgrad 3,407
GaTech Students: 39,771 Undergrad, 16,561, Postgrad 23,210
0 x
theblueram
Frank Keaney

Attendance / Event:

I’m saying a few things:

1. Georgia State is not a big rival for GT. It’s not like Georgia or Clemson. GSU is a mid major, not P5. Not an annual game, in fact it’s unusual for Tech to play Georgia State

2. ACC is FBS Football and Football is huge in the South. 34k for Miami is more than URI draws all season? They tailgate big time before and after the game so few, if any, are going to go to a 7pm basketball game at GSU. Georgia maybe, but not GSU.

3. The concert adds to traffic and would cause people to not want to drive into the city for a Saturday night game. A lot going on that night.

Are those numbers right? GT has 5k more grad students than undergrad? Wow.
0 x
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Attendance / Event:

I’m saying a few things:

For your first point

Yeah duh, but it's at least interesting for both parties that Georgia Tech would go play at Georgia State.

Second point only getting 34k to your Football game is an even worse embarrassment and an example of how dreadfully far a once proud program has fallen.

True it's bad timing to have a basketball game on the same day as a football game. Gonna be a hard draw, but sorry if either of their teams were any good they wouldn't have had a problem packing the basketball arena and the football arena.

I mean watching some clips of that game I couldn't find hardly any Georgia Tech fans there at all! They were almost all people cheering for Georgia State, so there was already a solid GA State there.

Third point
Traffic is a fucking nightmare in Atlanta all the time anyway, the concert is irrelevant.

Georgia Tech's fanbase is dead.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

I’m saying a few things:

For your first point

Yeah duh, but it's at least interesting for both parties that Georgia Tech would go play at Georgia State.

Second point only getting 34k to your Football game is an even worse embarrassment and an example of how dreadfully far a once proud program has fallen.

True it's bad timing to have a basketball game on the same day as a football game. Gonna be a hard draw, but sorry if either of their teams were any good they wouldn't have had a problem packing the basketball arena and the football arena.

I mean watching some clips of that game I couldn't find hardly any Georgia Tech fans there at all! They were almost all people cheering for Georgia State, so there was already a solid GA State there.

Third point
Traffic is a fucking nightmare in Atlanta all the time anyway, the concert is irrelevant.

Georgia Tech's fanbase is dead.
Could be In the library or research lab

https://www.gatech.edu/about/rankings
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Fun fact is Brian Blake is President of GSU. He was the other finalist for President of URI when the search narrowed to 2.

https://president.gsu.edu/
2 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

In addition to the questionable status of Bilau for us, haven't heard if starting wing Jamaine Mann will be available for GSU. He didn't play in the Auburn game Wednesday night.
Mann is currently averaging 10.7 pts/ 5 rebs.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago In addition to the questionable status of Bilau for us, haven't heard if starting wing Jamaine Mann will be available for GSU. He didn't play in the Auburn game Wednesday night.
Mann had the flu. He is expected to be back for our game Sunday
0 x
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Jersey77 wrote: 1 year ago In addition to the questionable status of Bilau for us, haven't heard if starting wing Jamaine Mann will be available for GSU. He didn't play in the Auburn game Wednesday night.
Okay thanks for the update Ramster.

You think if Bilau had a serious injury it would have been reported by now, but maybe not.
I hope he is good to go for Sunday.
0 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

Okay thanks for the update Ramster.

You think if Bilau had a serious injury it would have been reported by now, but maybe not.
I hope he is good to go for Sunday.
GSU fans felt the loss of Mann for the Auburn game, and rightfully so. I understand the UGA team was hit hard recently with the flu.
0 x
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Hate to be negative but I don’t think we win this game. I’m not sure if we have enough firepower on the offensive end. This is a good Georgia St team. I think we keep it close and lose by 6

I hope I’m wrong !
0 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Hate to be negative but I don’t think we win this game. I’m not sure if we have enough firepower on the offensive end. This is a good Georgia St team. I think we keep it close and lose by 6

I hope I’m wrong !
When they played at Northeastern they got out-rebounded 50-24 and hit only 1-20 3Ps.
Agree it will be a tough game and I think this one we don’t win. Hope I’m wrong too.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago Hate to be negative but I don’t think we win this game. I’m not sure if we have enough firepower on the offensive end. This is a good Georgia St team. I think we keep it close and lose by 6

I hope I’m wrong !

I think we're closer to being "good" than our record shows. Quinnipiac (9-2) was an amazing anomaly. We shot 36% from the field, 55% from the line, 11% from 3, and still only lost by 5.

Texas State was a horrendous offensive goaltending call away from a win. Tulane was a rimmed out shot away from OT. BC, our best player missed clutch free throws (that he's demonstrated he can make in crunch time for a win). Brown was an offensive rebound away from a win.

If you flip the call in TX State. Make FT's at BC (we're actually good from the line). And get a rebound against Brown - we're 7-4.

This is a team that needs to learn how to win, and is starting to do so. But our record is clearly not indicative of how close we've been to winning. We're already on pace to exceed that Hurley first rebuild year win total.

I think we're starting to turn the tide on our offensive anemia as well. Carey coming back has given us a dependable 3rd scoring option. Bray has started to find his stroke, Ish has been a very consistent top end guy.

Last 4 games points scored - 77, 77, 58, 88.

In those games, relative to national rankings:
FG - 106/238 - 44.5% - We move from 336th to 179th
3Pt - 24/71 - 33.8% - We move from 346th to 183rd
FT - 50/62 - 80.6% - We move from 86th to 6th.

We look more like an average shooting team than a piss poor one. And I think anyone can guess we're a pretty elite free throw shooting team when you take out the first game. Since we're rebuilding we should be hyper sensitive to these kind of growth periods every few weeks.

I think 2 wins in a row is going to start to build something. Confidence is contagious. And while Georgia State has been in nearly every game they've played this year (except a blowout loss to powerhouse Northeastern), anything happens game to game.
6 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Spot on analysis Blue Man.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

The other key with Carey coming back in - is that Bassy's shooting role will hopefully be reduced. The kid is great at the basic PG duties of ball-handling, court vision and distributing. He has a 2:1 A:TO right now.

His shooting is atrocious. 39% from 2. 16% from 3.

If you don't have Carey starting, he's a great bench option to pair with Bassy so that he doesn't have to (ever) take a shot.

With his hip issues, I'm not sure if Archie's trying to reduce Carey's workload and keep him as a bench option, but Jalen as a scoring threat can help Bassy revert to a distributor taking less shots per game. Can't have a 16% shooter taking shots.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Side topic- When will we see the jacket again?
1 x
GO RAMS
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Side topic- When will we see the jacket again?
Archie's? Never. Only at official or fancy functions. He gets way too hot.

Once Jay Wright stopped wearing a suit, it gave permission for every other coach to stop.
2 x

Give to Rhody's NIL
RJRam
Steve Chubin

Unread post by RJRam »

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The other key with Carey coming back in - is that Bassy's shooting role will hopefully be reduced. The kid is great at the basic PG duties of ball-handling, court vision and distributing. He has a 2:1 A:TO right now.

If you don't have Carey starting, he's a great bench option to pair with Bassy so that he doesn't have to (ever) take a shot.

With his hip issues, I'm not sure if Archie's trying to reduce Carey's workload and keep him as a bench option, but Jalen as a scoring threat can help Bassy revert to a distributor taking less shots per game. Can't have a 16% shooter taking shots.
Good analysis Blue Man. However you have to allow Bassy a little room to develop his offense. In his last 2 games, he is 5 of 11, 2 of 6 from 3pt. Certainly respectable. He has shown a willingness to take shots in crunch time with some pretty good results. Give him some time. He is only a sophomore. I think we should all be fans of any local kids that dream about playing for the Rams, and not our neighbors.
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

RJRam wrote: 1 year ago
Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago The other key with Carey coming back in - is that Bassy's shooting role will hopefully be reduced. The kid is great at the basic PG duties of ball-handling, court vision and distributing. He has a 2:1 A:TO right now.

Good analysis Blue Man. However you have to allow Bassy a little room to develop his offense. In his last 2 games, he is 5 of 11, 2 of 6 from 3pt. Certainly respectable. He has shown a willingness to take shots in crunch time with some pretty good results. Give him some time. He is only a sophomore. I think we should all be fans of any local kids that dream about playing for the Rams, and not our neighbors.
Fair. And I love that he wants to be a Ram. It's exceedingly rare around here.

But there's a reason he wasn't really recruited out of Hendricken. If this is a "sophomore slump" he's down from being a 45% 2pt shooter and 21% 3 point shooter last year. He is up from 36% to 55% at the line.

The kid isn't a shooter. I don't think that's an unfair criticism.

What he's good at, he's good at. Being a true PG. I think it's OK to call that out.
3 x

Give to Rhody's NIL