2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Talk about the men's team, upcoming opponents and news from around college hoop.
jcru
Sly Williams

Re: 2012's Rebuild vs. Today

Unread post by jcru »

Fair enough. If that is the case, then I apologize.
0 x
jcru
Sly Williams

Unread post by jcru »

I came on the site and saw a big commotion going back and forth about Hurley. I didn't read through all of it. I actually didn't come back until they were looking for Hurley's replacement.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Unread post by KevanBoyles »

https://richmond.com/sports/college/ton ... b6612.html

Bennett’s first year at UVA laid the groundwork for the future.
1 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Unread post by NYGFan_Section208 »

steveystuds06 wrote: 1 year ago
Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying, which is obvious. It’s evident to you and Peterram. 15 either doesn’t read or can’t comprehend what I’m saying most of the time. I can’t tell you how many times I repeat myself and explain my point, just like this, after one of his condescending responses to my post. For some reason, 95% of the time, one person doesn’t get what I’m saying…

We all have to remember. He won a prediction contest, and he’s a knowledgeable logical fan. He’s repeatedly said this about himself. Usually, the people that have to keep repeating how great they are at something aren’t.
Ah yes, the reading comprehension angle! Forgot about that one.

And you literally just said you repeat yourself about things, but then take a shot at me for repeating myself on my posts? That makes sense.

We all understand you take hours to watch full prep school games so you can give your take on these kids. You’ve said this multiple times.

I’m not the busiest person in the world nor claim to be, but I don’t want to take time out of my day to watch said games.
Yet again, you're totally missing what I'm saying. I have to repeat shit to YOU because YOU don't understand or completely change what I'm saying ALL the time. For example, I keep telling YOU I'm not a recruiting expert and enjoy watching the recruits in live games when possible. But you don't seem to get that and keep saying I think I'm an expert or that you all must trust me. Never said that once...

There is a big difference between repeating how knowledgable and logical you think you are and me needing to explain my point repeatedly because you come here to stir up shit, and I'm not gonna back down from you trying to do that to me. If you don't want to watch the games, that's fine, but I do, and I will continue to give my opinion on the players and this team on our message board.
Should we set up a PPV debate? Aye yi yi, this is more boring than trying to stretch the Ant saga to 20 pages.....Y to the awn..... take it outside you two :lol:
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

Blue Man wrote: 1 year ago
jcru wrote: 1 year ago C'mon, let's not do this.

Nothing was going to stop Hurley from going to UConn. And there is nothing wrong with that.

If URI could have given Hurley everything that he wanted, we wouldn't be in the A-10. period. We'd be a P6 school. We do the best with what we have. And I have to give URI credit, and Thorr credit, and the new President credit: that wasn't always the case, not by a long shot.
Ugh on tournament day we're re-hashing?

Yes, if the same commitment that we made to Archie on day 1 ($750k assistant coaches pool, charters, breaking ground on practice facility) was made on the plane back from California in 2017 - he stays. Once we didn't UConn had their feelers out immediately after that, and Hurley felt like no matter what he did here, he'd never get the support. Calhoun, Tom Moore, all of it happens because we couldn't commit.

Seriously, the guy brought a program using VHS tapes for film when he got here, to their first NCAA appearance and win in almost 2 decades, and the best we could do was a contract extension?

I'll take it to my grave that Hurley was here at least 3 more years - maybe longer if the investments kept up. UConn wouldn't have trumped up the Ollie charges if they didn't know they had their next guy yet. Hurley was always going to go to the place that made it as easy as possible for him to focus on winning basketball games and not having to grind for everything else.

If we could've turned into that place? He'd have stayed. But 2017 was when he realized we were nowhere near offering those kind of commitments.
NFN, but I think, even if Hurls had stayed then, he'd still be gone by now. Curious what others think...
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

jcru wrote: 1 year ago If you think this is awful, you never saw the Projo board
Plus, even 'this place' has been way awful-er in the not too distant past than it is now.
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

NYGFan_Section208 wrote: 1 year ago
NFN, but I think, even if Hurls had stayed then, he'd still be gone by now. Curious what others think...
Thorr had to be all over DH giving him whatever he wanted. Instead all he could see was how he could use the money that would be flowing in for non-MBB purposes. Whenever that happened, DH would be gone.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steveystuds06
Sly Williams

Unread post by steveystuds06 »

Rhody15 wrote: 1 year ago

Ah yes, the reading comprehension angle! Forgot about that one.

And you literally just said you repeat yourself about things, but then take a shot at me for repeating myself on my posts? That makes sense.

We all understand you take hours to watch full prep school games so you can give your take on these kids. You’ve said this multiple times.

I’m not the busiest person in the world nor claim to be, but I don’t want to take time out of my day to watch said games.
Yet again, you're totally missing what I'm saying. I have to repeat shit to YOU because YOU don't understand or completely change what I'm saying ALL the time. For example, I keep telling YOU I'm not a recruiting expert and enjoy watching the recruits in live games when possible. But you don't seem to get that and keep saying I think I'm an expert or that you all must trust me. Never said that once...

There is a big difference between repeating how knowledgable and logical you think you are and me needing to explain my point repeatedly because you come here to stir up shit, and I'm not gonna back down from you trying to do that to me. If you don't want to watch the games, that's fine, but I do, and I will continue to give my opinion on the players and this team on our message board.
Should we set up a PPV debate? Aye yi yi, this is more boring than trying to stretch the Ant saga to 20 pages.....Y to the awn..... take it outside you two :lol:
That’s funny coming from the person posting pointless shit in the Ant thread over and over again.
2 x
ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago
Thorr had to be all over DH giving him whatever he wanted. Instead all he could see was how he could use the money that would be flowing in for non-MBB purposes. Whenever that happened, DH would be gone.
No one was keeping Hurls from UConn. Now, if UConn didn't come along or another dream scenario - I believe Ace when she inferred Hurley would have only left for a handful of places. If the support/infrastructure that Thorr/Parlange put in place was there 6 years ago, it would have been much harder for him to leave. The last minute 2018 last ditch effort made it super hard. Perhaps if the practice facility and other things were more than just a "someday" it would have been different. Or perhaps he goes to UConn anyway.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

steviep123 wrote: 1 year ago
No one was keeping Hurls from UConn. Now, if UConn didn't come along or another dream scenario - I believe Ace when she inferred Hurley would have only left for a handful of places. If the support/infrastructure that Thorr/Parlange put in place was there 6 years ago, it would have been much harder for him to leave. The last minute 2018 last ditch effort made it super hard. Perhaps if the practice facility and other things were more than just a "someday" it would have been different. Or perhaps he goes to UConn anyway.
Agree with this also , just bad timing for us that this UConn opening happened in 2018 if it didn’t when maybe we could have kept him another year unless he wanted to go to Pitt
0 x
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

That’s funny coming from the person posting pointless shit in the Ant thread over and over again.
Agree. But, it was just pointless observation and posting, vs a personal grudge match I'm trying to work out online with another poster
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

URI is always playing catch-up. When DH's final year was underway, there was no doubt that MBB would generate substantial revenue in the future with DH as coach to fund MBB program improvements. URI needed to be proactive.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
steviep123
Sly Williams

Unread post by steviep123 »

URI is always playing catch-up. When DH's final year was underway, there was no doubt that MBB would generate substantial revenue in the future with DH as coach to fund MBB program improvements. URI needed to be proactive.
I don't disagree - the best time to do any of those improvements was then (or back when Penders left or Harrick left). The next best time is to do it now. Like they are.
0 x
Bleed Keaney Blue!

”I'm not coming there to be in the top 3 of the Atlantic 10. I'm coming to win the damn thing!”
NYGFan_Section208
Frank Keaney

I don't disagree - the best time to do any of those improvements was then (or back when Penders left or Harrick left). The next best time is to do it now. Like they are.
Crazy question...whatever the practice facility cost was...with 20/20 hindsight....would it have been better to put that cash into players?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Crazy question...whatever the practice facility cost was...with 20/20 hindsight....would it have been better to put that cash into players?
Good question, but I would still lean towards getting the practice facility done as that’s almost become standard amongst serious basketball schools.
1 x
Go Rhody
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

Practice facility isn’t just for marketing. It will actually help develop players and the team. Yea it’s worth it.
2 x
GO RAMS
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

Rhody72 wrote: 1 year ago URI is always playing catch-up. When DH's final year was underway, there was no doubt that MBB would generate substantial revenue in the future with DH as coach to fund MBB program improvements. URI needed to be proactive.
We are playing catch-up now. Our actions need to give us an edge.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago Practice facility isn’t just for marketing. It will actually help develop players and the team. Yea it’s worth it.
Totally agree, that will help us big time in the long run
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

FAU ZERO 4 or 5 star recruits going back to 2018. One 4 star transfer.
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Tomlin for K State. Didn’t play high school basketball.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Nowell for K State. 3 star. Senior.
1 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Player development.
1 x
Jdrums#3
Sly Williams

Unread post by Jdrums#3 »

Excellent FAU win! Excellent win for the non-P6’s!
2 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Michael Fortest for FAU. ZERO stars.
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

Alijah Martin. Zero stars.
1 x
Rhodymob05
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Rhodymob05 »

I really can’t explain FAU. It’s March.
1 x
GO RAMS
PeterRamTime
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by PeterRamTime »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I really can’t explain FAU. It’s March.
There were what 200+ programs with a better tradition of winning than FAU before this season? Mind blowing.
1 x
ramster
Frank Keaney

Unread post by ramster »

FAU Arena holds only 2,900
And they didn't fill it too well

Attendance gets overrated as a contributor to team success

533F09B9-FD39-4B38-9ABD-B079AE1E7298.jpeg
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

I’m only counting 4 or 5 players that were on the UConn team last year. Am I wrong?
0 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I’m only counting 4 or 5 players that were on the UConn team last year. Am I wrong?
Less. Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins. (And Andrew Hurley).

4 graduates, couple transfers out.

But Danny killed it reloading.

Karaban and Clingan might be the best 2 freshmen on a team together in the country.

Calcaterra, Newton, Alleyne, Diarra were all great transfers.
3 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago I’m only counting 4 or 5 players that were on the UConn team last year. Am I wrong?

Karaban and Clingan might be the best 2 freshmen on a team together in the country.

FAU and UConn show you what can happen in one year.

Blue Man, any idea of the transfers’ ratings coming out of HS?
Last edited by KevanBoyles 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.
2 x
Blue Man
Tyson Wheeler

Unread post by Blue Man »

Rhodymob05 wrote: 1 year ago I really can’t explain FAU. It’s March.
Exactly why you just need a team that can get to the tournament.

Doesn’t matter your conference or anything else.

But this is one of the more insane runs that just never got any credit. They keep getting dismissed. I lost a lot on K State today. Figure FAU had to run out of gas eventually. But man. Best thing in sports and it’s not close.
4 x
If you say you’re a Rhody fan, I know you are my brother. For you have suffered as I have suffered.

Give to the Athletic Director's Fund

Give to Rhody's NIL
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago

Princeton had three transfers, two to P6 teams last offseason too.
2 x
Go Rhody
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Insane out former coach is going to the final 4 baby !!
2 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

reef wrote: 1 year ago

Insane out former coach is going to the final 4 baby !!
Not insane at all.

Most everyone knew he’d get there very soon after he got to UConn.
2 x
Go Rhody
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Richie Springs and Samson Johnson were on the team last year, too, with Sanogo, Jackson, and Hawkins. Neither played much this season, Samson because of injury. Samson actually started over Karaban in the first game of the season, which is when he got hurt. Karaban arrived last January after getting hurt in his post-grad year. After Diggins, Floyd, Akok, and Gaffney transferred out, they had 7 guys on their roster in mid-April. Things moved fast. The end of their bench this year is three guys who somehow didn’t expect to play, are totally fine with the process, and don’t cause issues complaining.
1 x
ace
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by ace »

Nahiem Alleyne (Virginia Tech) was a three star out of high school, Hassan Diarra (Texas A&M) was a four star. Tristen Newton (East Carolina) and Joey Calcaterra (San Diego) were not ranked.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

ace wrote: 1 year ago

Nahiem Alleyne (Virginia Tech) was a three star out of high school, Hassan Diarra (Texas A&M) was a four star. Tristen Newton (East Carolina) and Joey Calcaterra (San Diego) were not ranked.
I really like that Alleyne nice guard off the bench
0 x
KevanBoyles
Carlton Owens

He’s got a bunch of studs coming in next year. One 3 star, three 4 stars, and a 5 star with the 3 being very close to a 4.

The crazy thing is is the number of players successful programs go through. If that’s the case, we’re in the hunt.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago He’s got a bunch of studs coming in next year. One 3 star, three 4 stars, and a 5 star with the 3 being very close to a 4.

The crazy thing is is the number of players successful programs go through. If that’s the case, we’re in the hunt.
DH can build the beast of the east there
0 x
RhodyKyle
Cuttino Mobley

Unread post by RhodyKyle »

reef wrote: 1 year ago
KevanBoyles wrote: 1 year ago He’s got a bunch of studs coming in next year. One 3 star, three 4 stars, and a 5 star with the 3 being very close to a 4.

DH can build the beast of the east there
At this point Few should be trying to build the UConn of the West.
1 x
RhodyBB91
Abdul Fox

Unread post by RhodyBB91 »

Coaches need to earn pay checks this portal season.
0 x
reef
Frank Keaney

Unread post by reef »

Arch is going to kill it in the portal
3 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

It's April which means the AD has directed his elves to begin hyping the MBB team's prospects to drive season ticket sales. The posts are appearing about how much better we will be next year. My instincts tell me otherwise. Arguably, our starting line-up at the beginning of last year was Ish, Bray, Jalen, Malik and Samb. Guess what - they all appear to be gone. 2023-24 will be the first year of the rebuild and I don't expect much better results in wins/losses. Freshman and transfers are not going to set the world on fire. Be patient, Archie is capable of getting it done.
1 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Rams99
Abdul Fox

Unread post by Rams99 »

Staying positive this offseason. Our road record last season was awful which I think will absolutely be turned around. I think too all the damage was done team spirit wise when we removed Brayden. I'm sure they were all close and it hurt to carry on and lose week after week. Still wish them all the best but I think a lot of them entering the portal will be good for all parties. I'm sure Archie knew the repercussions of that and I fully respect the move. All of these portal moves I'm sure were known to come before the end of the season. I think a clean house, new energy with a lot to prove, and much more buyin to Archie and his staff from the players they bring in will give us better results. There's also so much left in the portal so we shall see. Regardless, with a new practice facility, the women's team rolling, and new players coming in for the men the program as whole is on the up and up. Look at all these cinderella teams with less than us, it just takes the right mix to make big leaps. ~Have faith~
0 x
Rhody72
Carlton Owens

Unread post by Rhody72 »

What came first, the chicken or the egg? Did the players tell Archie in their post-season interviews that they were entering the portal or did Archie tell the players that he was blowing up the team and they should find somewhere else to play to show what was happening was his idea? Was blowing up the team, Archie's way of saying you can't quit because you are fired? I didn't see this coming based on what I saw on the floor. Is this just a negotiating move by the players for more NIL money? Is Thor channeling most NIL money to his beloved football team? There's a story here. Maybe once players actually leave the story will appear.
0 x
NCAAs or Bust!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Now that we completed our roster for this season, not a bad time to revisit this thread.
Our core players for 2013-2014 were: Munford, EC, Biruta, Martin, and TJ.
Also, incoming recruits for the following season were JT (4* top 100) and Jarvis.
That following season 2014-2015 we finished T2nd in the A10.

How would you compare our situation now to then?
0 x
Rhody15
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Rhody15 »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Now that we completed our roster for this season, not a bad time to revisit this thread.
Also, incoming recruits for the following season were JT (4* top 100) and Jarvis.

Night and day.

Tough to compare when we know the end results we got with those core players.
0 x
Go Rhody
Rhody74
Sly Williams

Unread post by Rhody74 »

Jersey77 wrote: 8 months ago Now that we completed our roster for this season, not a bad time to revisit this thread.

Let’s see how this season goes before making a comparison.
0 x
Slava Ukraini!
Jersey77
Ernie Calverley

Unread post by Jersey77 »

Rhody15 wrote: 8 months ago

Night and day.

Tough to compare when we know the end results we got with those core players.
Like with almost every discussion and prediction this off-season it is all speculation.
0 x